| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 727, 728, 729, 730, 731, 732, 733, 734  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:29 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 11819
Location: Seattle
oliver wrote:
Is this a thing now?
Dark Chocolate Almond Bar with Grass-Fed Collagen

Collagen in a snack bar? And as a selling point?


God, people are so gross.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:53 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 8123
Location: United States of New England
oliver wrote:
Is this a thing now?
Dark Chocolate Almond Bar with Grass-Fed Collagen

Collagen in a snack bar? And as a selling point?


a friend on fb who is also vegan posted about these a little while ago. i guess he ate one not realizing it and then read the ingredients and was depending whether or not to make himself puke it back up because he was so grossed out

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:05 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 22108
Location: Cliffbar NJ
The argument that "yes but there are some people who HAVE to eat meat."

I swear, every single time anyone mentions veganism, someone counters that "some people don't have a choice like the Inuit or people who are allergic to every vegetable ever."

And even if there are some people who do need to eat meat, the vast majority of people don't and a small exception shouldn't be an excuse for the rule and the horrible consequences of large scale animal ag on animals, the planet, human health etc.

*associated pet awesome: Ariann is awesome.

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:10 am 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:54 pm
Posts: 463
Location: Ireland
RandiJM wrote:
vixki wrote:
Blueberry wrote:
My dad ate all my Swedish Glace ice creams, he said he didn't realise I "ate that stuff", but I'm not convinced that he didn't know they were my soya ice creams, this has happened before... my pet peeve is that Swedish Glace is so good that other people keep eating it (eyeroll). I don't mind sharing but I want my ice cream dammit!


My grandmother has bought Swedish glace as long as I can remember, she didn't even know it was vegan. I think the old black packaging made it look posher.


Did your relatives just assume that ice cream got bad? :P


Haha! You not a fan of Swedish Glace? The vanilla is the best vegan ice cream around, me thinks! Although I'm open to persuasion! Yeah I agree that the black packaging looked posher!

_________________
"I'm basically a jellyfish in a human suit. I REGRET NOTHING"- Erika


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:15 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:40 am
Posts: 566
Location: Seattle, WA
Tofulish wrote:
The argument that "yes but there are some people who HAVE to eat meat."

I swear, every single time anyone mentions veganism, someone counters that "some people don't have a choice like the Inuit or people who are allergic to every vegetable ever."

And even if there are some people who do need to eat meat, the vast majority of people don't and a small exception shouldn't be an excuse for the rule and the horrible consequences of large scale animal ag on animals, the planet, human health etc.

*associated pet awesome: Ariann is awesome.


One of my classmates told me that she is not vegan because she went to high school in Alaska with Native Americans and "they CANNOT be vegan". She... is not Native American. And she lives in Seattle now. I've heard a lot of excuses, but this was a new one.

I was speechless.

_________________
Instagram
Fake Meat and True Love
Facebook


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:23 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 12891
Location: Redmond, WA
looking online to see what's vegan at papa murphy's and I found something saying nothing there is vegan only to read further to see it's a debate about bone char sugar. i'll just read the ingredients for myself and make a decision thank you very much.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:37 pm 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 2224
Location: MA
ijustdiedinside wrote:
looking online to see what's vegan at papa murphy's and I found something saying nothing there is vegan only to read further to see it's a debate about bone char sugar. i'll just read the ingredients for myself and make a decision thank you very much.

I think it's the same with PF Chang's. I've only been once, years ago, but they couldn't say anything was vegan, when in fact all the veg stuff was, aside from the unknown sugar processing issue. Just say that then, guys!

Anyway, my peeve is I was checking out with just a few things at the grocery store and there was a tiny pink blob on the metal part just at the front of the conveyor belt. Really what else could it be but a blob of meat? It looked like roast beef or something from the deli. I couldn't think quickly enough of how to say something to the teenaged cashier without sounding crazy, so I just cringed and hoped he picked everything up instead of dragging it over the blob. Then checked all my stuff when I got home. Blech.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:01 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 am
Posts: 3413
Location: SF Bay area
My peeve today is omnis at work being picky about the food our company buys us but then talking at lunch about how vegans are so picky and difficult to accommodate.

On Fridays we get free lunch and it's always such a pain because one person thinks Chinese is "too spicy", another complains that deep dish is too unhealthy, another won't each Chipotle because she's pregnant and is worried about the cilantro contamination from last year, another doesn't like sandwiches, another thinks salads are too light for lunch, and on and on. And then there's the snack issue. If we have Clif Bars someone complains and wants Kind bars. Everyone demands different types of dairy (2%, whole, 1/2 & 1/2, whipped cream) for their coffee. Another wants a certain brand of black tea and bisques about it until our lab manager buys it for her on Amazon (not her job). This is your job, not a restaurant. You're totally allowed to bring your own milk or your own lunch if you don't like what's offered once in a while. Honestly, I wouldn't care if they didn't make offhand comments about vegans when literally the one vegan they know (me) rarely complains about anything.

_________________
http://hotveganchickpeas.wordpress.com (food blog)
http://baybalcony.wordpress.com (gardening blog)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:19 pm 
Offline
Wears Pleather Undies

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:54 pm
Posts: 23
veganchubosaurus wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
The argument that "yes but there are some people who HAVE to eat meat."

I swear, every single time anyone mentions veganism, someone counters that "some people don't have a choice like the Inuit or people who are allergic to every vegetable ever."

And even if there are some people who do need to eat meat, the vast majority of people don't and a small exception shouldn't be an excuse for the rule and the horrible consequences of large scale animal ag on animals, the planet, human health etc.

*associated pet awesome: Ariann is awesome.


One of my classmates told me that she is not vegan because she went to high school in Alaska with Native Americans and "they CANNOT be vegan". She... is not Native American. And she lives in Seattle now. I've heard a lot of excuses, but this was a new one.

I was speechless.




I currently live in Alaska. I'm sure there are a very, very small number of people who live an entirely subsistence lifestyle. And it's true that you can't grow vegetables here most of the time. But the vast majority of us live within easy driving distance of a grocery store.
That being said, I do sometimes struggle with the environmental argument here. If I'm buying tofu that was shipped thousands of miles, is it more environmentally responsible to eat a salmon that I caught myself and was going off to die anyway? This doesn't solve any of the ethical issues of course. But when I bring up veganism here, I always get flak about my not eating the local seafood or backyard eggs or backyard honey. Any good thoughts on combating this, if people aren't swayed by the fact that fish don't enjoy being caught and eaten? Alaska's a strange case because there are so few people spread across such a large area. Plus we have seven to eight months of winter temperatures.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:46 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 2164
Location: Reno
couroupita wrote:
My peeve today is omnis at work being picky about the food our company buys us but then talking at lunch about how vegans are so picky and difficult to accommodate.

On Fridays we get free lunch and it's always such a pain because one person thinks Chinese is "too spicy", another complains that deep dish is too unhealthy, another won't each Chipotle because she's pregnant and is worried about the cilantro contamination from last year, another doesn't like sandwiches, another thinks salads are too light for lunch, and on and on. And then there's the snack issue. If we have Clif Bars someone complains and wants Kind bars. Everyone demands different types of dairy (2%, whole, 1/2 & 1/2, whipped cream) for their coffee. Another wants a certain brand of black tea and bisques about it until our lab manager buys it for her on Amazon (not her job). This is your job, not a restaurant. You're totally allowed to bring your own milk or your own lunch if you don't like what's offered once in a while. Honestly, I wouldn't care if they didn't make offhand comments about vegans when literally the one vegan they know (me) rarely complains about anything.


I guess I can understand contributing to the lunch ideas, but the complaints about snacks and cream on hand? Seriously? I'm sorry you get to deal with that.

Where I work, we have shitty coffee with shitty/plain powdered creamer. People have been known to bring in their own creamer and keep it in the fridge (I've done this myself from time to time!). When there's snacks, we're all happy. When they're not vegan, I shrug and hope there will be next time.

I'm trying to imagine a world in which it would be appropriate to be like "I know you're being festive with the snack box by putting in Halloween candy but I'M VEGAN and I WANT SOME WITHOUT MILK, DAMN IT." Maybe vegans are so used to not being catered to that we're less prone to this brattiness? Oh, the irony.

_________________
Youtube


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:03 pm 
Offline
BAD PASS
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:43 pm
Posts: 3271
Location: NW Indiana/Chicago
couroupita wrote:
My peeve today is omnis at work being picky about the food our company buys us but then talking at lunch about how vegans are so picky and difficult to accommodate.

On Fridays we get free lunch and it's always such a pain because one person thinks Chinese is "too spicy", another complains that deep dish is too unhealthy, another won't each Chipotle because she's pregnant and is worried about the cilantro contamination from last year, another doesn't like sandwiches, another thinks salads are too light for lunch, and on and on. And then there's the snack issue. If we have Clif Bars someone complains and wants Kind bars. Everyone demands different types of dairy (2%, whole, 1/2 & 1/2, whipped cream) for their coffee. Another wants a certain brand of black tea and bisques about it until our lab manager buys it for her on Amazon (not her job). This is your job, not a restaurant. You're totally allowed to bring your own milk or your own lunch if you don't like what's offered once in a while. Honestly, I wouldn't care if they didn't make offhand comments about vegans when literally the one vegan they know (me) rarely complains about anything.


This is hilarious and absolutely true of so many omnis!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:05 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 am
Posts: 3413
Location: SF Bay area
oddspongeout wrote:
couroupita wrote:
My peeve today is omnis at work being picky about the food our company buys us but then talking at lunch about how vegans are so picky and difficult to accommodate.

On Fridays we get free lunch and it's always such a pain because one person thinks Chinese is "too spicy", another complains that deep dish is too unhealthy, another won't each Chipotle because she's pregnant and is worried about the cilantro contamination from last year, another doesn't like sandwiches, another thinks salads are too light for lunch, and on and on. And then there's the snack issue. If we have Clif Bars someone complains and wants Kind bars. Everyone demands different types of dairy (2%, whole, 1/2 & 1/2, whipped cream) for their coffee. Another wants a certain brand of black tea and bisques about it until our lab manager buys it for her on Amazon (not her job). This is your job, not a restaurant. You're totally allowed to bring your own milk or your own lunch if you don't like what's offered once in a while. Honestly, I wouldn't care if they didn't make offhand comments about vegans when literally the one vegan they know (me) rarely complains about anything.


I guess I can understand contributing to the lunch ideas, but the complaints about snacks and cream on hand? Seriously? I'm sorry you get to deal with that.

Where I work, we have shitty coffee with shitty/plain powdered creamer. People have been known to bring in their own creamer and keep it in the fridge (I've done this myself from time to time!). When there's snacks, we're all happy. When they're not vegan, I shrug and hope there will be next time.

I'm trying to imagine a world in which it would be appropriate to be like "I know you're being festive with the snack box by putting in Halloween candy but I'M VEGAN and I WANT SOME WITHOUT MILK, DAMN IT." Maybe vegans are so used to not being catered to that we're less prone to this brattiness? Oh, the irony.


Yeah if you really have a problem with spicy or hate the taste of cilantro, once in a while it would be ok to give input. If your main problem is it's too salty or not your favorite brand, like--it's free, dude. I blame it on the Silicon Valley/Google work culture here where companies basically bend over backwards to feed and entertain their employees.

I think being vegan you sort of get told "put up or shut up" and are so grateful when there is something, anything to eat. Like it never even occurred to me to request non-dairy milk because no one but me would drink it. I bought a mini fridge for my cubicle and I purchased my own bottle of soy milk. Last week I was getting grief by the 2% vs whole milk lady because I brought my own bottle of agave nectar instead of using the honey that the company has. *eye roll*

_________________
http://hotveganchickpeas.wordpress.com (food blog)
http://baybalcony.wordpress.com (gardening blog)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:26 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 11819
Location: Seattle
couroupita wrote:
Last week I was getting grief by the 2% vs whole milk lady because I brought my own bottle of agave nectar instead of using the honey that the company has. *eye roll*


How dare you buy and consume your own food?

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:10 am 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:39 pm
Posts: 2377
Location: Missouri
barnyardbob wrote:
I currently live in Alaska. I'm sure there are a very, very small number of people who live an entirely subsistence lifestyle. And it's true that you can't grow vegetables here most of the time. But the vast majority of us live within easy driving distance of a grocery store.
That being said, I do sometimes struggle with the environmental argument here. If I'm buying tofu that was shipped thousands of miles, is it more environmentally responsible to eat a salmon that I caught myself and was going off to die anyway? This doesn't solve any of the ethical issues of course. But when I bring up veganism here, I always get flak about my not eating the local seafood or backyard eggs or backyard honey. Any good thoughts on combating this, if people aren't swayed by the fact that fish don't enjoy being caught and eaten? Alaska's a strange case because there are so few people spread across such a large area. Plus we have seven to eight months of winter temperatures.


I'm from Newfoundland and it's a little similar; we have some farms but mostly the province relies in import because so little can grow there, and traditionally most people eat a lot of fish and moose. The thing is though, it's also a traditionally unhealthy diet. For example, we had the highest rate of spina bifida in the country until the flour we imported was enriched with folic acid. If I ate only locally there, which absolutely no one does 100%, I'd be very unwell. Like seriously, we used to buy veggies direct from the farm when I was a kid and they only grew cabbage, potatoes, carrots, rutabaga and berries. My grandfather grew beets. That's all.

Sure some people might be exclusively living on what grows in Alaska, but I seriously doubt any but the most extreme outdoorsman or aboriginal tribes that maintain a traditional way of life really eat exclusively local. Do these people never eat out? Never buy a chocolate bar? Never eat any veggies but potatoes? When you live in a place without food security, I probably wouldn't push veganism hard because obviously if fish is free for some people and groceries are super expensive, you can't ask them to starve. But if you're living in town and have access to the grocery store, why would you give up wellness for some sense of environmental purity?

_________________
I was really surprised the first time I saw a penis. After those banana tutorials, I was expecting something so different. -Tofulish

The Themysciran - my geek blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:26 am 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 22108
Location: Cliffbar NJ
Re salmon in Alaska: Where is the salmon coming from and how is it grown? Most salmon is farmed and farmed fish is an environmentally problematic - a huge number of fish are contained in a small area and their waste plus the overuse of antibiotic in the water often turns the areas around then into deserts killing the wild life around them. Plus they are fed small fish which are caught elsewhere and transported to the area, :9'tjays another issue for the environment (ethically its problematic because many pot populations are losing the fish they need to survive because they are being caught by giant trawlers and then used as fish food for salmon etc which wealthy consumers want. More here: http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/salmo ... l-impacts/

Plus I'm betting that even in Alaska, people aren't catching a wild fish themselves near home. If it's caught, transported to processing, processed (which also involves problematic treatment of workers), then transported out to the grocery store etc, there is an environmental impact.

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:48 pm 
Offline
Wears Pleather Undies

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:54 pm
Posts: 23
I agree about going to the grocery store. A lot of people do exactly that. They fish, they hunt, they have chickens in their backyard for eggs, and then they buy their dairy from Safeway. Or their frozen pizzas. There used to be a local dairy that sold raw milk. It caused multiple bouts of illness, and I haven't heard about it again.

As far as the fishing goes, most of it involves commercial boats catching salmon and halibut. They present their own concerns, both environmentally and especially with by-catch. The seafood in the store travels just as far as the produce. Most of the locally caught stuff is processed to send elsewhere. Or goes to restaurants. But actually very many people can drive a short distance and catch their own fish. Essentially, the salmon are so plentiful at certain times, that you can literally just walk into a river with a giant net (called a dipnet), and they swim right in. Each resident with a permit is allowed a set number of fish depending on the number of people in a household. And it's government regulated, so the numbers depend on what fish and game deems appropriate.

A conversation about dipnetting moved me from vegetarian to vegan. I was asked how I could rationalize drinking milk from confined cows and not catch salmon that would die anyway (you catch them on their way back from breeding, soon before they die, as I understand it). I couldn't. I decided neither was right. I think they were trying to nudge me toward eating some meat and it backfired. Whoops.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:26 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 11819
Location: Seattle
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Cheagan- when Don Cheadle goes vegan.
Freegan- when Morgan Freeman goes vegan.


I apologize for making you all wait five and a half months for this rejoinder:

Cheafree - when Don Cheadle goes Morgan Freeman.

Thank you.

Thank you.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:08 pm 
Offline
Taco Scientist
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2870
Location: Austin, TX
barnyardbob wrote:
Essentially, the salmon are so plentiful at certain times, that you can literally just walk into a river with a giant net (called a dipnet), and they swim right in. Each resident with a permit is allowed a set number of fish depending on the number of people in a household. And it's government regulated, so the numbers depend on what fish and game deems appropriate.

A conversation about dipnetting moved me from vegetarian to vegan. I was asked how I could rationalize drinking milk from confined cows and not catch salmon that would die anyway (you catch them on their way back from breeding, soon before they die, as I understand it). I couldn't. I decided neither was right. I think they were trying to nudge me toward eating some meat and it backfired. Whoops.

If it was me, and I was just trying to end the conversation I'd say something like "Being vegan works really well for me, I'm so much happier this way and I love vegan cooking"

Sustainability-wise even if the salmon are about to die anyway the ecosystem probably grew to rely on their decaying bodies to provide nourishment for the soil or other animals or even their growing fishlets (that's what you call baby fish right?). Evolution didn't lead to a bunch of people catching those salmon in nets! (Well, in a way it did, but I'm sure it's not the best thing for the ecosystem). There is always a trade off on how to best live lightly on the earth. But yeah, if any of those people who give you shiitake also eat frozen pizza just bring that up. The worst dairy! The worst of hog farming! (if there are sausages or pepperoni). Just 'cause you are eating a wild salmon now and then doesn't give you an excuse to eat from the very worst of farming industries.

_________________
blarg Lazy Smurf's Guide to Life
twitter @veganLazySmurf
Pinterest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:50 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:23 am
Posts: 379
I've been vegan since April 2003. If you just found out, the next thing to say to me is not "How do you know if someone is vegan? They'll tell you. HAR-HAR-HAR-HAR-HAR-HAR!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:11 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:10 pm
Posts: 4050
Location: in the middle
RunLonger wrote:
I've been vegan since April 2003. If you just found out, the next thing to say to me is not "How do you know if someone is vegan? They'll tell you. HAR-HAR-HAR-HAR-HAR-HAR!"

At least you have the ready-made comeback of "yeah, after 14 years!"

_________________
Sweet talkin' pie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:07 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:10 pm
Posts: 4050
Location: in the middle
A local blogger I know just sent me a facebook PM asking me to nominate her blog on some website. I had never heard of them, so I clicked into the link and it became apparent that the company just makes a huge range of meaty sausages.

I know she probably just copied and pasted the PM to everyone, but I had to sit so hard on my hands not to respond negatively. Clearly she didn't think because hopefully otherwise she would have realised it's a bit shiitake to suggest a vegan might like to win a load of meat-company branded tat (I'm not sure if meat is actually part of the prize too, but it might be because a coolbag is mentioned).

_________________
Sweet talkin' pie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:12 am 
Offline
Total Hoover

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:08 pm
Posts: 1684
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Edit: Oops, double post.

_________________
An unprocessed chicken is walking around and clucking to itself. And yes, I think they're healthier that way too. - Tofulish


Last edited by GreenDuck on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:12 am 
Offline
Total Hoover

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:08 pm
Posts: 1684
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
dropscone wrote:
A local blogger I know just sent me a facebook PM asking me to nominate her blog on some website. I had never heard of them, so I clicked into the link and it became apparent that the company just makes a huge range of meaty sausages.

I know she probably just copied and pasted the PM to everyone, but I had to sit so hard on my hands not to respond negatively. Clearly she didn't think because hopefully otherwise she would have realised it's a bit shiitake to suggest a vegan might like to win a load of meat-company branded tat (I'm not sure if meat is actually part of the prize too, but it might be because a coolbag is mentioned).

Is she vegan herself? Or is her blog?

_________________
An unprocessed chicken is walking around and clucking to itself. And yes, I think they're healthier that way too. - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:50 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:10 pm
Posts: 4050
Location: in the middle
No, I know her because she's a prolific local food blogger who mentions vegan options in passing, and she also organises events. She also works for the same organisation that I do, and I've met her a few times and even had lunch with her. I don't think it was malicious, but I know she's not particularly pro-vegan so... I dunno.

To clarify, if I nominate her blog I go into the prize draw to win the tat. I'm not sure if she also has the chance to win tat or if it's a genuine award because I didn't care to look that far into the rules.

I'd be tempted to nominate a vegan blog instead, except I think it would attract a lot of snark and make me look passive-aggressive.

_________________
Sweet talkin' pie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:53 pm 
Offline
Total Hoover

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:08 pm
Posts: 1684
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
dropscone wrote:
No, I know her because she's a prolific local food blogger who mentions vegan options in passing, and she also organises events. She also works for the same organisation that I do, and I've met her a few times and even had lunch with her. I don't think it was malicious, but I know she's not particularly pro-vegan so... I dunno.

To clarify, if I nominate her blog I go into the prize draw to win the tat. I'm not sure if she also has the chance to win tat or if it's a genuine award because I didn't care to look that far into the rules.

I'd be tempted to nominate a vegan blog instead, except I think it would attract a lot of snark and make me look passive-aggressive.

Oh so you would get a chance to win the meaty-meat stuff, not just the blogger!
Sounds like a situation where it is best to sit on your hands, as you are, and ignore.

_________________
An unprocessed chicken is walking around and clucking to itself. And yes, I think they're healthier that way too. - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 727, 728, 729, 730, 731, 732, 733, 734  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer