| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 400, 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406 ... 494  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:43 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Lately, it seems like all of my friends are joining MLMs. So I have to go to these parties, chat with others, and feel as though I have to buy something. I am always told that I don't have to buy anything before I go, but I always feel like I have to buy something. I always feel like I have to go to the parties because not going would make me feel... unsupportive?

I have friends who sell Mary Kay, Avon, and Artistry. I know that at least two of those test on animals. I'm a fairly new vegan and my friends don't completely get what veganism is yet as it is very rare where I live. They still think that it only has to do with food. For the Mary Kay party, I left my wallet at home, so that was my excuse for not getting anything. And the friend want to invite me over to try more stuff. She is someone who I am becoming friends with and I am trying to find a way to explain that I don't use products that test on animals with out coming across as self righteous.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:50 pm 
And you never will.

Just tell her that you're happy with the products you already use, but you wish her luck in her new business endeavor? I don't think you even have to bring veganism into it, you're really not obligated to try/buy anything from anyone in order to be their friend.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:53 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

This is more of a compassionate animal lover pet peeve rather than a vegan pet peeve. See if you can track how many peeve-worthy nuggets this one has: Someone at work really wants to buy a certain breed of dog but can't afford having 3 dogs (she already has 2) and so put the first 2 up for adoption on Craig's list.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:57 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

You should tell her that people who dog fight often get bait dogs off of Craigslist.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:13 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Kal wrote:

I have friends who sell Mary Kay, Avon, and Artistry. I know that at least two of those test on animals. I'm a fairly new vegan and my friends don't completely get what veganism is yet as it is very rare where I live. They still think that it only has to do with food. For the Mary Kay party, I left my wallet at home, so that was my excuse for not getting anything. And the friend want to invite me over to try more stuff. She is someone who I am becoming friends with and I am trying to find a way to explain that I don't use products that test on animals with out coming across as self righteous.

i have a friend who sent me mary kay samples saying they are vegan & cf. i wonder if they just pump lies into their sellers!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:07 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

emmalv wrote:
This is more of a compassionate animal lover pet peeve rather than a vegan pet peeve. See if you can track how many peeve-worthy nuggets this one has: Someone at work really wants to buy a certain breed of dog but can't afford having 3 dogs (she already has 2) and so put the first 2 up for adoption on Craig's list.
mrsbadmouth wrote:
You should tell her that people who dog fight often get bait dogs off of Craigslist.
Oh, Jesus. I am so upset by this. Please follow MBM's advice and say something about this to your co-worker ASAP!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:13 pm 
WRETCHED

Desdemona wrote:
emmalv wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
Oh, Jesus. I am so upset by this. Please follow MBM's advice and say something about this to your co-worker ASAP!

And not only for dog fighting but I've heard that people who do testing on dogs also get them off of Craigslist.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:21 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Kal wrote:
Lately, it seems like all of my friends are joining MLMs. So I have to go to these parties, chat with others, and feel as though I have to buy something. I am always told that I don't have to buy anything before I go, but I always feel like I have to buy something. I always feel like I have to go to the parties because not going would make me feel... unsupportive?

I really don't think you should worry about feeling unsupportive when it comes to pyramid schemes...

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:43 pm 
Semen Strong

HAH! J-dub, that is totally sigworthy!

Our neighbors just bought two Jug puppies. What is a Jug? Apparently a designer cross between a Jack Russell and a Pug. GRRRR ARRGH breeders.

And of course my FB feed is full of doggy faces in shelters with sad stories. BLARGH.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:16 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

'free kitten' season has arrived. :/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:49 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

missmuffcake wrote:
I was researching the human bones issue, I have found conflicting data. However I have not bought bones (human or otherwise). I just find human bones less disturbing to my mental state than cat bones...

I get that.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:54 am 
Saggy Butt

Audrey wrote:
a friend of mine (actually I should say, she's the spouse of my partner's best friend) lives on Kauai. Roosters are a huge problem there, and viewed as pests. She keeps hens there to use their eggs, talks about what big personalities the chickens have etc but still eats chicken. Anyway she posted this loong thing on Facebook about she killed a rooster - because it had gotten into their chicken coop and wouldn't leave - in various horrible ways because it wouldn't die, and finally just leaving it in the garbage mostly dead. I really really wanted to say something about how inhumane this was but a) didn't wanted to be treated to a snarky comment about how I know nothing about how destructive these roosters are and b) many of her friends jumped in with various comments about how necessary it was and wow isn't it awful how most people don't know where their food comes from. Uhhhh.

That's horrible, why wouldn't you put the pour thing out of it's misery? And it's sad that she has such a disconnect between the chickens she's raising and the ones she's eating. I was always under the assumption that the wild chickens were protected and people weren't allowed to hurt them, guess I was wrong. I know a lot of people consider them pests there but all the chickens running around was one of my favorite things about Kauai.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:31 am 
Bathes in Braggs

linanil wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
emmalv wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

And not only for dog fighting but I've heard that people who do testing on dogs also get them off of Craigslist.

Oh hell, I didn't even think about these things and now I truly feel sick. I was just stuck on what a crasshole move this is and didn't consider all of that.
I will find out if she did give them away already. (I found all of this out from another co-worker and haven't even seen her in the office lately.) If she hasn't, I will definitely abandon my plan of never looking her in the face again and will definitely say something.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:50 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Our local animal control shelter checks Craigslist regularly and messages people on there to ask them to bring the dog to them instead. I asked them about it once because I saw an ad where the person specifically said that the dog they were giving away came from the pound, and most places have a clause in their adoption agreement that says if you can't keep the animal for any reason, you must return it to them. They told me they were already talking to the person who placed the ad.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

That I can't even eat a cookie or whatever at work without someone crowing "all vegans love junk food"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:27 pm 
Ninja Master

LazySmurf wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
ameyfm wrote:
Over in the "does anyone read blogs" thread, Kittee encouraged me to start exploring the vegan community on Instagram - through use of hashtags. So I started snooping around #veganfood #vegan (etc) last night... until I was whipped into a furious rage of goji-berry, superfood, chia pudding, raw cheesecake, green smoothie overload. Doesn't anyone eat food anymore?

Yes, on instagram sometimes it looks like all vegans eat are artfully piled plates of fruit and green smoothies. Of course, other times it look like all we eat is dessert. But there are some really good people to follow. I want to be adopted by @missannmai (lots of homemade Vietnamese food) and @veganhouston (comfort food).

Maybe we should have a ppk-friendly hashtag! not #ppk because I feel like that should be reserved for Isa recipes but something else....

Haha you guys obviously don't follow me and my badly lit, junk food pics!

I hate when you click on the veganfoodshare hashtag and it's a bunch of selfies. GAH.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:09 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

the selfies with abs! it's like cool but where is the #veganfood?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:13 pm 
Semen Strong

missmuffcake wrote:

In the abs!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:45 am 
Married to the wolfman

Tofulish wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

In the abs!

But I can't eat abs.

(Because that's not vegan.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:48 am 
Ninja Master

Exactly, your abs are nice and all, but I wanna see cookies!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:58 am 
Grandfathered In

I love Fabs, the "vegan abs alternative!"

Try some today!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:33 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

i don't want to see you vegan booty under #veganfood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

A coworker has never had sushi before and asked for good sushi places with vegetarian options on Facebook. She got a couple good responses, but this too, of course:

Quote:
There's no point in eating sushi if you're vegetarian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:24 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

creep wrote:
A coworker has never had sushi before and asked for good sushi places with vegetarian options on Facebook. She got a couple good responses, but this too, of course:

Quote:

vegetarians can't even digest rice! or vegetables!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

acr wrote:
creep wrote:

Quote:

vegetarians can't even digest rice! or vegetables!

Thanks, I'm going to say this. Internet jerk self today.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 400, 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406 ... 494  Next