| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409, 410 ... 519  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:32 pm 
Chip Strong

Desdemona wrote:

It's not a parent's job to render an animal helpless in the face of their children's unwanted attentions via de-clawing, beating, banishment to the yard, etc. It's their job to teach their kids respect for other living creatures, including non-humans. What happened in this situation is that the child hurt the cat and the cat reacted accordingly, but rather than using that as a teachable moment, the father modeled more violence by kicking the animal for having defended itself. Not a good message, not good parenting, and emphatically not good pet ownership.

This. A thousand times this!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:40 pm 
Semen Strong

A+ Desdemona - spot on! Thanks for putting it so clearly <3

Raspberrycomplaint, Malcolm Gladwell did a very readable piece debunking BSL and setting out why dogs bite. I enjoyed reading it and found it very interesting and engaging. http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2006/0 ... ntPage=all Trigger really meets all the "red flags."

Quote:
But a number of other, more stable factors stand out. The biters were 6.2 times as likely to be male than female, and 2.6 times as likely to be intact than neutered. The Denver study also found that biters were 2.8 times as likely to be chained as unchained. “About twenty per cent of the dogs involved in fatalities were chained at the time, and had a history of long-term chaining,” Lockwood said. “Now, are they chained because they are aggressive or aggressive because they are chained? It’s a bit of both. These are animals that have not had an opportunity to become socialized to people. They don’t necessarily even know that children are small human beings. They tend to see them as prey.”

In many cases, vicious dogs are hungry or in need of medical attention. Often, the dogs had a history of aggressive incidents, and, overwhelmingly, dog-bite victims were children (particularly small boys) who were physically vulnerable to attack and may also have unwittingly done things to provoke the dog, like teasing it, or bothering it while it was eating. The strongest connection of all, though, is between the trait of dog viciousness and certain kinds of dog owners. In about a quarter of fatal dog-bite cases, the dog owners were previously involved in illegal fighting. The dogs that bite people are, in many cases, socially isolated because their owners are socially isolated, and they are vicious because they have owners who want a vicious dog. The junk-yard German shepherd—which looks as if it would rip your throat out—and the German-shepherd guide dog are the same breed. But they are not the same dog, because they have owners with different intentions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:00 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Ok so this isn't technically a vegan peeve exactly, but it is vegan and I am super peeved/bummed. Tantrum level. Had to post somewhere.

Isa and Terry are doing a vegan dinner with beer pairings in Los Angeles at a great brewery on Monday.

Guess who is going to be out of town on Monday for business. I am soooooooo bummed. You bet your asparagus I would have gone to that.

There are a couple open spots left if anyone is interested
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/isa-chandr ... 0876071623

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:03 pm 
WRETCHED

Chicki,

when Isa came to DC, she announced her dinner on FB and it was sold out within 2 hours. I had no chance, I was super bummed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

The tofu that I bought from TJ's is spoiled and I didn't realize until I got home. :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:26 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Mr. Shankly wrote:
The tofu that I bought from TJ's is spoiled and I didn't realize until I got home. :(

Oh MAN. I bought two packages of their fake chicken strips last week. I thought one of them seemed a little weird when I put it in the fridge, and then in the morning it had INFLATED! It puffed up enough to rip the cardboard box around the plastic envelope bag thing! It was pretty amazing.

I took it back and they gave me a new one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:55 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

once i bought bad tofu from tj's i had it tonight - i always hesitate to open it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:09 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
The fact that a segment of the vegan populace likes to go from 0 to batshit over the stupidist forking stuff.

Case in point, theres a well known well publicized local vegan AR/Activist person in San Diego who is running for a Council Seat, so he sent out an email saying for people to join him for beer and brats (brats linked in the email to tofurkys website), and about 2 hours later had to send out a follow up email saying it was vegan brats, which is why he made a link for it because he got so many angry emails from people.

FFS people

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:09 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Chicki wrote:
Ok so this isn't technically a vegan peeve exactly, but it is vegan and I am super peeved/bummed. Tantrum level. Had to post somewhere.

Isa and Terry are doing a vegan dinner with beer pairings in Los Angeles at a great brewery on Monday.

Guess who is going to be out of town on Monday for business. I am soooooooo bummed. You bet your asparagus I would have gone to that.

There are a couple open spots left if anyone is interested
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/isa-chandr ... 0876071623

I'll be in SoCal (well, San Diego) earlier that day but am moving out of the country Monday afternoon! And vegan crepe night in San Diego is apparently Tuesday. AND we just got a new vegan donut shop, apparently, AND there's a new native foods opening near where my husband worked. It's like the world is conspiring against me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:18 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Adam Crisis wrote:

Case in point, theres a well known well publicized local vegan AR/Activist person in San Diego who is running for a Council Seat, so he sent out an email saying for people to join him for beer and brats (brats linked in the email to tofurkys website), and about 2 hours later had to send out a follow up email saying it was vegan brats, which is why he made a link for it because he got so many angry emails from people.

at least they did not say 'vegans don't drink beer'....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:18 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

we were going to go up to the mountains to enjoy the weather and hang out tomorrow...big draw to the mountains is a veg restaurant with super yummy burgers. turns out they closed....boo. :/ the place is not a 'cheese bar'....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:30 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Me: "Would you like a piece of cake?"
Them: "No thanks. I mean I would if it was normal cake. Like made with flour and sugar."
Me: "This is made with flour and sugar."
Them: "Oh, well, you know what I mean."

No, I really don't.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:41 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Should have told them it was made with magic and unicorn farts, so like, their loss.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:44 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Them: "No thanks. I mean I would if it was normal cake. Like made with flour and sugar."

No, I really don't.

i really hate people sometimes. i mean, fork them, more cake for us and all that, but sharing is nice and what the fork ever happened to manners?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:42 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

And the people who always tell me that my vegan food isn't normal or real are usually people who eat tons of junk food. Like a Hostess cake made with unpronounceable preservatives is fine, but my homemade cake is somehow "fake".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:03 pm 
Nailed to the V

And the people who always tell me that my vegan food isn't normal or real are usually people who eat tons of junk food. Like a Hostess cake made with unpronounceable preservatives is fine, but my homemade cake is somehow "fake".

Oh GAWD, this is so true.
I also get tired of omnis disdainfully stating that my cakes or cookies are 'full of sugar' when I've made it clear that I don't use any more sugar than an omni baker. They're perfectly happy gobbling up Oreos and Girl Scout Cookies, though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:55 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I posted this Vice article calling for an end to the fetishization of meat, and someone posted "Mmmmm.... meat...."

No big deal, but COME ON. This guy loves burgers and is always posting about the things he eats, which is fine. I wish he'd get that him posting that on my post is pretty much like me coming over to every one of his burger posts and being like, "Gross. Murder." IT'S LAME, DUDE! YOU'RE COOLER THAN THAT!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:11 am 
Flounceiad 2011

jordanpattern wrote:
I posted this Vice article calling for an end to the fetishization of meat, and someone posted "Mmmmm.... meat...."

No big deal, but COME ON. This guy loves burgers and is always posting about the things he eats, which is fine. I wish he'd get that him posting that on my post is pretty much like me coming over to every one of his burger posts and being like, "Gross. Murder." IT'S LAME, DUDE! YOU'RE COOLER THAN THAT!
Yes, I have fewer incidents like this since a recent FB cull, but the double standard you refer to really annoys me. When I'm scrolling through my FB feed and someone has posted a photo of something they've barbecued or whatever, I just hit "hide" and keep moving because I have no interest in looking at that, or in discussing it with someone who clearly thinks it's awesome. But anytime I've shared something like the recent James McWilliams piece (which I put in the Foyer), it's been met with pearl-cluching defensiveness from the small handful of artisanal lard groupies on my friends list, and at this point I don't have the energy or inclination to have the same boring and pointless conversation over and over and over again. Which is why I finally started a separate page to post vegan-specific, AR, and related content for interested people, and the clear message that comments like "mmmm…meat" will be summarily deleted and their posters blocked.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:19 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I am going away soon with some friends renting a cabin for the weekend. I am looking forward to it like crazy - women, wine, no kids, herbal facials! In attempting to plan meals on our Facebook group page one woman, who has not come with us before, has asked to bring sausages to cook there for supper and bacon and eggs for breakfast. I need to post a request that she not cook meat there (usually we bring premade casseroles/stuff for bowls/soups) but I have known her for years and she gets so hepped up over little things that I think no matter how I phrase it she will blow things out of proportion. Ugh. I don't care if she or anyone brings precooked meat I just don't want to smell it cooking. We also have an unwritten agreement in this group that most of the food we bring to the cabin or to other events will be edible by most of the group - celiac, dairy allergy, vegetarians, cilantro-objectors.

I am not the only vegetarian so I hope I will get backup. Even when I ate meat I hated the smell of bacon clinging to my clothes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:24 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Desdemona wrote:
pearl-cluching defensiveness from the small handful of artisanal lard groupies

Best.

I don't post a lot of veg*n stuff on FB. I posted this because it wasn't a critique of meat itself, but rather of the weird fetishization of meat (i.e. BACON, "snout to tail," etc.) I even said in my comment with the post "eat meat if you want." I take pains to NOT be THAT vegan, so it peas me off when my friends don't pay me the same courtesy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:55 am 
Flounceiad 2011

jordanpattern wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

Best.

I don't post a lot of veg*n stuff on FB. I posted this because it wasn't a critique of meat itself, but rather of the weird fetishization of meat (i.e. BACON, "snout to tail," etc.) I even said in my comment with the post "eat meat if you want." I take pains to NOT be THAT vegan, so it peas me off when my friends don't pay me the same courtesy.
Exactly. I look the other way and bite my tongue a great deal of the time because (unfortunately) the vast majority of the population obviously doesn't share my feelings about the ethical ramifications of raising, killing, and eating other animals. So it seems a bit much when a member of this staggering majority wades into my space and starts throwing their weight around. I'm with you: if someone's idea of nirvana is bacon-wrapped bacon on a bed of bacon, no one is stopping them. But that doesn't mean they can come into my virtual living room and rub their (thankfully figurative) bacon grease in my face.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:11 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

No, I really don't.

ive noticed at the last few family functions ive been to that NO ONE in my brother's family will touch ANY of my food. for something recently, maybe Xmas eve i made a spicy buffalo pasta salad specifically with my nephews in mind thinking they would like the buffalo-ness of it. the only people who at it were my parents and me and my husband, same with the baked goods i brought.

i dont know why but i find this insulting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:15 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

LisaPunk wrote:

No, I really don't.

ive noticed at the last few family functions ive been to that NO ONE in my brother's family will touch ANY of my food. for something recently, maybe Xmas eve i made a spicy buffalo pasta salad specifically with my nephews in mind thinking they would like the buffalo-ness of it. the only people who at it were my parents and me and my husband, same with the baked goods i brought.

They're obviously afraid of catching your vegan cooties.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:23 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

LisaPunk wrote:

No, I really don't.

Because it is insulting. Or at least, I'd be offended too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:27 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

jordanpattern wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

Best.

Can I ask what the significance or meaning is of "veg*n" versus spelling it out? I've noticed it before in random posts and its going over my head, and as a result I'm convinced that without this knowledge I'm doomed to commit some sort of interwebz faux pas sometime in the future.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409, 410 ... 519  Next