| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 537  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:17 am 
Naked Under Apron

Desdemona wrote:
Jon Stewart said "vaygun" on The Daily Show just the other night. I was like, "You live in NYC - and you're Jon Frigging' Stewart - and you don't know how to say 'vegan'? what the fizzle?" (I actually felt a similar level of disappointment to what I experienced when he got all Jingoistic Gloaty McGloaterson about Osama Bin Laden being killed. It's just kind of sad when people aren't as bright as you'd like them to be.)

YES! (To all of that). I was only half paying attention, but really? He's never heard it before? That's just not possible. I'd imagine it's all over the place in NYC and that he's, you know, been outside at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:48 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

veggiepalooza wrote:
"You used to love bacon remember??"
The appropriate response to this sort of comments is: "That's very true. I also used to wet my pants, crawl around on the floor, and cry a lot, because I hadn't learned to use the toilet, walk, or talk - what's your point?"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:21 pm 
Grandfathered In

But don't forget to duck after saying it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:25 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

lepelaar wrote:
My dad seriously cannot get it right. He seems to alternate between "vaygun" and "ve(soft g)an". I've corrected him a few times, but I don't think he's ever once pronounced it the right way.

We apparently have the same dad!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:26 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

my dad says vee-kan...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:53 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

missmuffcake wrote:
my dad says vee-kan...
If Obama was Transylvanian, his slogan would be "Yes, Vee-Kan!"

And I love me some vee-kan pie...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:32 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I found vital wheat gluten at Whole Foods last week. For only $4.00/lb. SCORE. That is less than I buy it at another store. (pre-package 10 oz $6-8 usually)

Went to scoop some out of the bulk bin and it was rock hard.

Almost cried. Then I got to the check out and saw that a very small basket of groceries was $20. then I really did cry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:18 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I wanted to get some tinned ratatouille for a no-effort meal a couple of days ago. The store brand and the other brand were the same price, so I checked the ingredients to see if either had a yummier sounding proportion of vegetables; I wouldn't have thought to check otherwise.

Both brands had 'milk derivatives' listed. Why?!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Stupid [milk-derived] natural flavors in Bigelow vanilla chai tea. . . my friends were drinking this when we were hanging out, and it smelled amazing. . . laaaaame.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:50 pm 
Naked Under Apron

My daily peeve is the shop in my neighborhood selling live chickens, duck, etc. It stinks horribly and we've actually re-routed our daily walk because one time our daughter looked in to the shop and saw stacks and rows upon rows of chickens in cartons and started waving at them. I seriously wanted to cry, which I know is dumb.

To make it worse, the neighborhood - which is a small section of Bushwick - recently had mural artists paint on the sides of most storefronts, on roll gates and sides of buildings, and the mural for the disgusting chicken slaughter place has all these cute animals including bunnies etc. Finally, last week I noticed someone spray-painted MEAT IS MURDER over the bottom of the mural - I have mixed feelings about vandalism in general but my boyfriend and I both hurrahed over this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:31 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Audrey wrote:
My daily peeve is the shop in my neighborhood selling live chickens, duck, etc. It stinks horribly and we've actually re-routed our daily walk because one time our daughter looked in to the shop and saw stacks and rows upon rows of chickens in cartons and started waving at them. I seriously wanted to cry, which I know is dumb.

Not dumb. Just reading that made me sad :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lilyyw wrote:
Stupid [milk-derived] natural flavors in Bigelow vanilla chai tea. . . my friends were drinking this when we were hanging out, and it smelled amazing. . . laaaaame.

For reals? I've definitely had this stuff as a vegan, though not for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:39 pm 
Cranky

creep wrote:
lilyyw wrote:

I really hope this isn't true! They list soy on the box, but don't mention dairy?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:33 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Chicki wrote:
Audrey wrote:

Not dumb. Just reading that made me sad :(
Me, too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:47 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Dr. Apricot wrote:
creep wrote:
lilyyw wrote:

I really hope this isn't true! They list soy on the box, but don't mention dairy?

I have a box too...no dairy listed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:32 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

:(

http://www.bigelowtea.com/faqs/tea-and- ... vegan.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lilyyw wrote:

Whaaaaaaat? I have the regular chai in my cabinet right now. It doesn't say anything about dairy. It does say "natural flavors," but who would assume that would mean milk?! uuuuggghhhhhhh.

I'll probably be a bad vegan and finish them off and just never buy them again. This sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:04 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

WEIRD! Now that makes me wonder about the Pumpkin Spice Rooibos from Trader Joe's.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:20 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Restaurants that are vegan-friendly but also serve foie gras. I can't even comprehend.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:37 am 
Grandfathered In

mandycoot wrote:
Restaurants that [...] serve foie gras. I can't even comprehend.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:40 am 
Dead by dawn

Ugh to the whole "gastropub" trend. The only places in Seattle that biker boy and I have straight up had to walk out because there was nothing for me to eat were bars. Stupid pretentious bars with stupid pretentious foodie menus. fork buttered olives and french fries fried in duck fat. Would it kill you to offer a hummus plate? (Edit: on second thought, it'd probably be foie gras hummus or some such atrocity.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:50 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

monkeytoes wrote:
Ugh to the whole "gastropub" trend. The only places in Seattle that biker boy and I have straight up had to walk out because there was nothing for me to eat were bars. Stupid pretentious bars with stupid pretentious foodie menus. fork buttered olives and french fries fried in duck fat. Would it kill you to offer a hummus plate? (Edit: on second thought, it'd probably be foie gras hummus or some such atrocity.)

Speaking of, did you hear... putting behind a spoiler, because it's a little upsetting.
Spoiler: show
about the foodie trend to eat horse meat?! I guess it's been taken off the menu now, but a restaurant in NYC planned to serve horse tartare.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:51 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

monkeytoes wrote:

The only vegan food I've ever gotten in ANY bar has been fries (when not cooked w/ chicken or fish...), peanuts and chips and salsa (again, when the tortillas aren't fried w/ animals). And there are lots of bars that offer veggie burgers, but they're always non-vegan Gardenburgers. Can someone tell these people about Boca? Amy's?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:14 pm 
Dead by dawn

nickvicious wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

The only vegan food I've ever gotten in ANY bar has been fries (when not cooked w/ chicken or fish...), peanuts and chips and salsa (again, when the tortillas aren't fried w/ animals). And there are lots of bars that offer veggie burgers, but they're always non-vegan Gardenburgers. Can someone tell these people about Boca? Amy's?

Most pubs here, from fairly grubby places up to regular, middle of the road places, have some variation on the hummus plate. Biker boy's neighborhood hangout has a seared tofu sammich. But I've noticed a definite rise in the schmancy pretentious places that are all veal medallions, truffle oil, baby arugula and $14 plates of olives (that they've drenched in butter.) [Note: I have nothing against truffle oil or any other fancy foodie ingredients, just the trend of "oh this used to be your neighborhood dive, but now we are way too classy for the likes of you. Yes, we've got the game on, but you're going to want to watch it somewhere else."]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:46 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

creep wrote:
lilyyw wrote:

Whaaaaaaat? I have the regular chai in my cabinet right now. It doesn't say anything about dairy. It does say "natural flavors," but who would assume that would mean milk?! uuuuggghhhhhhh.

I'll probably be a bad vegan and finish them off and just never buy them again. This sucks.

I'm pretty sure they have to declare on the allergen warning if the "natural flavors" are dairy-based. The Weight Watchers oatmeal is like that -- no dairy ingredient listed, but it's in the allergen warning.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 537  Next