| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 417, 418 ... 497  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Keepin' it Kind blog did a series of posts about being vegan in Italy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:51 pm 
WRETCHED

electric_claire wrote:
linanil, where in Italy will you be? I'm sure things have changed in the past 6 years, but I ate vegan most of the semester I spent in Italy and might have some specific suggestions as well as more general suggestions. I lived in Rome and did a little bit of traveling to Milan, Sicily, Puglia, and some little hill towns around Rome.

Rome kind of looks like vegan haven with various restaurants and options but we are going to Naples, Sorrento and Amalfi. Things there seem a bit iffier although I've found some blogs talking about being vegan there. From what I've seen, it is basically pizza without cheese/meat and vegetable side dishes. Oh and pasta 'dry'.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:31 pm 
Semen Strong

You could always ask annak what she has found - I think she is around Naples.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:37 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, I started a thread and we talked but she hasn't tried any of the restaurants near where I'll be yet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I think I remember some really great blog posts by ameyfm about her trip to Italy! Maybe those will be helpful to you?

When I visited sorrento and amalfi I wasn't veg but I remember pasta that could be made without cheese and lots of salads. Also we ate out of grocery stores a lot. Would your husband be ok with something like that? It looks like there's at least one vegan restaurant in sorrento, so that's a bonus!

Eta: When I went last I had cheese laden gnocchi, but l'antica trattoria is a beautiful multi-terraced garden restaurant in sorrento definitely worth visiting! The only vegan thing I see on the menu that's vegan is spaghetti, but it's probably super yummy!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:22 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Here are some posts from my trip to S. Italy:
http://veganeatsandtreats.blogspot.com/ ... -ciao.html
http://veganeatsandtreats.blogspot.com/ ... italy.html
We were in Puglia and Naples and Sicily. It is just really not a problem to eat vegan in Italy. Especially southern Italy, which is more olive oil-than-butter. Pizza, pastas with veggies, lots of veggies etc. Also, we stumbled across an awesome little natural foods store in Naples. I don't remember exactly where, but it was near the base of the funicular. Maybe annak will know. The farmers market is also really nice. I guess it's a little easier for me, because I speak Italian, but I don't think you have much to worry about. Also, there were definitely bean dishes. Some days I felt the need for a protein bar just to boost my protein intake, but it was generally lots of fun to eat there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:16 am 
Nooch of Earl

Yeah, so far it seems like it's easy to get food, less easy to get food that is nutritionally balanced, IYKWIM. So far we've been spending all our time doing orientation and house-hunting, so I haven't had time to do much culinary exploration (esp w/out a car and with the transit system here being a little scattered, plus toddler). We've been here a week and a half, though, so I am hoping to change that soon! Unfortunately the base where the incoming military stay is sort of far from the city (near Aversa), and the easiest way to escape base has been guided tours. But being able to get a panino or pizza with no cheese is easy most places, but getting more balanced vegan stuff is tricky at a random place in town.

By contrast, it seems like in wealthier Italian cities, there's been an explosion of good vegan stuff.

I will probably have a much fuller report once we've had our car for a while and are settled in to a house, but I suspect you'd have the best luck in Vomero (trendy city neighborhood) or maybe around Bacoli.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:31 am 
WRETCHED

Thanks guys, my husband is just a bit nervous because the last trips we did internationally were right before we were vegan. We went to China and basically ate anything put in front of us. Oh I guess we went to Belize but they spoke english and the place we stayed at was owned by an American. I've been trying to learn as much Italian as I can before our trip just to make it slightly more easy. His biggest fear is being cheesed but I told him not to worry.

And my biggest fear is that I have a gag reflex with spaghetti shaped pasta and that that would be the only pasta available. But then again, I can eat bread and be happy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:28 am 
Semen Strong

I really want to like Lena Dunham but then she says things like "Vegetarianism is just a not very effective eating disorder."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:51 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

And the point of liking such a person would be?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:02 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

linanil wrote:
And my biggest fear is that I have a gag reflex with spaghetti shaped pasta and that that would be the only pasta available. But then again, I can eat bread and be happy.

The chances of spaghetti being the only pasta option available are very very small. There must be hundreds of pasta shapes in Italy!! Although it was some time ago, I lived in Puglia for 14 years and most food was vegan by default. The usual fare was pasta with chickpeas/beans/lentils/fresh tomatoes/potatoes etc. and putting cheese on that was considered a faux pas.

The South of Italy has always been historically poor, and people eat lots of greens (aka weeds), beans, olive oil and fruits. The further up North you go, the more you start getting into cheese and butter country.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:02 pm 
Saggy Butt

Tofulish wrote:
I really want to like Lena Dunham but then she says things like "Vegetarianism is just a not very effective eating disorder."

geez lena, how can you be so smart and aware in some areas, yet so stupid in others?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:48 pm 
WRETCHED

Angelina wrote:
linanil wrote:

The chances of spaghetti being the only pasta option available are very very small. There must be hundreds of pasta shapes in Italy!! Although it was some time ago, I lived in Puglia for 14 years and most food was vegan by default. The usual fare was pasta with chickpeas/beans/lentils/fresh tomatoes/potatoes etc. and putting cheese on that was considered a faux pas.

The South of Italy has always been historically poor, and people eat lots of greens (aka weeds), beans, olive oil and fruits. The further up North you go, the more you start getting into cheese and butter country.

Thanks :). My husband felt better after I showed him Ameyfm's blog posts. And for some reason, every vegan blog I've looked at that had pasta seemed to have pictures of spaghetti and one menu I looked at only mentioned spaghetti so I started to think that maybe spaghetti was the most common pasta.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:10 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Tofulish wrote:

I enjoy her work, just not her perspective on vegans and vegetarians. The comedian Marc Maron is another figure like this. I really enjoy his work, but he has a joke about veganism being an "ideological eating disorder", and another on how a vegan atheist is the most horrible person you could meet, which is a double hit for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:21 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Lots of people have already said what I would say in regards to food in Italy- lots of pasta, delicious veggies, legumes, pizza without cheese (even premade at al taglio places, with delicious mushrooms or red and yellow peppers), and of course bread.

Additionally, gnocchi and minestrone are both traditionally made vegan. Regular tomato sauce (pomodoro) and arrabiata (spicy tomato sauce) are generally made vegan. I would ask for "senza formaggio" just to make sure they're not going to put something on top, but I would generally assume the basic sauces to be good to go.

I'm not sure if you will also be staying anywhere that has a kitchen and cooking for yourself at all, or only eating at restaurants and such, but I also loved all the open air markets in Italy, and ate lots of delicious fruit and vegetables including the best damn artichokes ever (suddenly it made sense why anyone would ever assume artichokes are food!) from my local open market in Rome, as well as in other places while travelling. Even if you're not doing any cooking, open air markets for fresh snacks and delis where you can get sandwiches with tons of roasted vegetables and even additional lupini or white beans or something to go along with might be good options some days.

It's awesome that you are learning some Italian, both food-wise and just getting around wise!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:37 pm 
Semen Strong

I am not a fan of her version Brooklyn which has no people of color in it either. http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... em/267345/ But I did like her stance on Woody Allen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:28 pm 
Grandfathered In

leonardo wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

I enjoy her work, just not her perspective on vegans and vegetarians. The comedian Marc Maron is another figure like this. I really enjoy his work, but he has a joke about veganism being an "ideological eating disorder", and another on how a vegan atheist is the most horrible person you could meet, which is a double hit for me.

When we saw him, I introduced myself as a vegan atheist. He wouldn't break character (if that's what it was) and just said, "Well, you are pretty annoying." I said, "I'm annoying?"

And the embarrassing (?) truth is that I haven't really enjoyed him since that night.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:59 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

my dream is to go to sicily - to the catacombs and also to see where my dad was born. so a vegan italian getaway looks good!

count me in with the no to lena group. besides a white washed ny her ep on OCD was shitty. then again i have not seen many shows that deal with mental illness without some sort of miracle pill that makes things all better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:20 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Lena said something about her book (I don't have it, just read a short excerpt) about how if it could save someone from going vegan for a while, it will have been worth it. There was also that part on Girls when Hannah says she stopped being vegetarian and it was so great and the color came back to her cheeks (what? she's even paler than me, and that's rare).

It seems like it's cool now to make fun of vegans, cuz bacon, or whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:24 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Amy wrote:
Lena said something about her book (I don't have it, just read a short excerpt) about how if it could save someone from going vegan for a while, it will have been worth it. There was also that part on Girls when Hannah says she stopped being vegetarian and it was so great and the color came back to her cheeks (what? she's even paler than me, and that's rare).

It seems like it's cool now to make fun of vegans, cuz bacon, or whatever.

It's always been fun to make fun of vegans! American pastime. Like bacon and baseball.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:39 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Meh. In addition to the usual objections (whitewashing, eliding important issues like class and race, behaving as if 2nd wave feminism never happened, etc.), I just don't think Girls - or Lena Dunham - is all that bright.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:04 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Yeah, that's just dumb and annoying and her show sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:34 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Whole Foods has new vegan cookies in their bakery. They are not labeled vegan because the Earth Balance contains palm oil and they did not want to debate it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I met an ex vegan today who couldn't stay vegan because in six months her vit B12 was so low she needed injections. I refrained from suggesting it was probably already too low before she was vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:55 am 
Nooch of Earl

what the fizzle r this?

(and that's the only kind they have at the commissary :( )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 417, 418 ... 497  Next