| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11832 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 413, 414, 415, 416, 417, 418, 419 ... 474  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:55 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

You mean besides an abomination?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:09 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

missmuffcake wrote:
Whole Foods has new vegan cookies in their bakery. They are not labeled vegan because the Earth Balance contains palm oil and they did not want to debate it.

There was a debate about this in one of the panels I did at Vida Vegan Con, and it's a personal pet peeve of mine. 'Vegan' is not synonymous/interchangeable with 'ethical.' It would be great if all vegan food were organic and biodynamic and grown less than 100 miles from the grocery store, and if all vegan shoes were made in a union factory in the same country where they're being sold. I wish that were the way it was. But as it is, 'vegan' means no animal products and technically speaking palm oil is a plant product.

I understand the debate and the controversy around palm oil, and have been trying to avoid it myself- I just think it doesn't do anyone any favors to expand the parameters of what 'vegan' means, especially when we have people out there literally eating fish or honey or eggs from backyard chickens and still insisting they are 'vegan.'

Now, on to the important part- what kind of cookies are they?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:04 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

There was a debate about this in one of the panels I did at Vida Vegan Con, and it's a personal pet peeve of mine. 'Vegan' is not synonymous/interchangeable with 'ethical.' It would be great if all vegan food were organic and biodynamic and grown less than 100 miles from the grocery store, and if all vegan shoes were made in a union factory in the same country where they're being sold.

Now, on to the important part- what kind of cookies are they?

I try to be as ethical as possible also supper environmental to. I do not go out of my way to score palm oil laced goodies but I do not avoid it if it is in a vegan product.

The cookies are the hipster chipster - ugh name, good cookie if you liked the large vegan chocolate chip ones they got rid of. The also have hipster chipster dough in the fridge bakery section - already rolled into balls. This is the Oakland location - so stores may vary.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:14 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Hipster Chipster? Good god. Now I don't want to eat them either.

My PP...yesterday my director came into work, who has been gone a month. She said "you will be so proud of me, I have been paelo for almost a month!"

Hm. No. But of course I smiled and nodded and we talked about raw protein bars and how hard it is to find food when at conferences, etc.

But still. No.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

postnothing wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
I really want to like Lena Dunham but then she says things like "Vegetarianism is just a not very effective eating disorder."

geez lena, how can you be so smart and aware in some areas, yet so stupid in others?

That might have been her experience, though. Which is too bad but not a reason to go out of your way to dislike someone.

-alice1drland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:07 pm 
Semen Strong

Two of my friends are no longer vegan.

One was vegan for 10 years and now posts pictures of her steak and bacon meals every day, along with rants about how vegans are hypocritical because they all dropped her after she stopped being vegan

And the other was only vegan for a few years and just posted "Listen, we can't all care about the same things. If you're vegan and care about animals, good for you. I care about different things. Its what makes the world work. If we all cared about the same thing, the entire planet would fall apart except for that one thing." Because we can't care about more than one thing at once

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I fail to see how the planet would fall apart if everyone...cared about animals?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:43 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Guys, I can only give a shiitake about so many things in this world, and if it's between the animals and what's going on in the next season of The Walking Dead, well...

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:08 am 
Flounceiad 2011

couroupita wrote:
I fail to see how the planet would fall apart if everyone...cared about animals?
Because bacon. Or something.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:17 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Tofulish wrote:
One was vegan for 10 years and now posts pictures of her steak and bacon meals every day, along with rants about how vegans are hypocritical because they all dropped her after she stopped being vegan

I have a friend who is no longer vegan, and she doesn't rub it in anyone's face really, but some of the local vegans have been really mean to her, former house mates blanking her in the street, bullying her on facebook, etc. She gave up veganism because she was ill while she was pregnant, and I'm not a doctor so can't really say if it was necessary for her to start eating meat again... but I was pretty disappointed when I realised all that was happening because these were people who I previously thought were really nice.

I think a lot of people who give up veganism seem to have really bad reasons though, and one thing that really annoys me is preachy ex-vegans in the comments sections of articles about veganism or whatever... and I think those people just become super-defensive because well... there isn't really an excuse to eat animals when you don't need to.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:20 am 

i forgot that non-vegans eat kale too...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:00 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

If I never have to explain what my lunch is again, I'll be a happy camper.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:38 pm 
WRETCHED

Tofulish wrote:
Two of my friends are no longer vegan.

And the other was only vegan for a few years and just posted "Listen, we can't all care about the same things. If you're vegan and care about animals, good for you. I care about different things. Its what makes the world work. If we all cared about the same thing, the entire planet would fall apart except for that one thing." Because we can't care about more than one thing at once

I had a few FB friends that I knew because they were vegan and then they were very publically not vegan. Honestly, I didn't care but when every single post was either about non-vegan food or how vegans suck... And our only bond was veganism, I dropped them as friends. Sure they may say that people drop them because they are no longer vegan but I think it is more than that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:41 pm 

Fee wrote:

i started sending detailed notes with potluck/share lunches when i make something for my boyfriend to share at work. i find it odd how they pick apart vegan food but will eat any slop that comes from Olive Garden or a crappy pizza place without a blink of a eye.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:14 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Ughhhhh. My event I am running tomorrow is one at a horse race track. Boo.

Hate these events but I have to suck it up. I'm the MC, I gotta do raffles and pump up the crowd between races, while keeping vendors and my staff happy. I can't even hide at registration.

I try to give back by taking the unused betting vouchers we give out, cashing them in and donating to a horse rescue. There are always some left over, and they expire at the end of the day, and I already paid for them, so I'm not stealing.

But blah. Besides where it is and what it's about, it's a really big, popular event. There is no way we would stop doing these events. So hard to be excited though. I literally cried a bit in the bathroom last year when I was not on stage because I felt so bad. I'll bring exta makeup this year.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:59 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Oh Chicki, that sucks. Hang in there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:21 am 

not really a peeve as it is funny and shows that i <3 vegan cookbooks to much...but on sunday i was at moe's in berkeley looking at the vegan cookbooks, i saw 'vegan eats world' but it was a paperback copy with a different cover. my mind is bad with names/associations that are different sometimes so i spent 5 minutes trying to think if i had the book or not. i had to come home and connect it with the cover/hard back that i have!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:30 am 
Chip Strong

At another academic conference at a prestigious university with a vegan meal requested well in advance and not provided on the day. I estimate that this happens at approximately 1 in 2 conferences I attend.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:21 am 
Nooch of Earl

Just got back from buying a second bag of pasta because I apparently missed the SQUID ("seppia") in the first bag's ingredients. Another awesome Italy pitfall: nonvegetarian pasta! I'm used to checking for eggs but not squid as a coloring.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

missmuffcake wrote:
not really a peeve as it is funny and shows that i <3 vegan cookbooks to much...but on sunday i was at moe's in berkeley looking at the vegan cookbooks, i saw 'vegan eats world' but it was a paperback copy with a different cover. my mind is bad with names/associations that are different sometimes so i spent 5 minutes trying to think if i had the book or not. i had to come home and connect it with the cover/hard back that i have!

I saw the paperback version too on Sunday and was tempted to buy it despite having the hardcover version. I prefer soft cover! I didn't get it though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:42 am 
Chard Martyr

Fee wrote:

I am SO SICK of explaining my lunches! Also I am pretty lazy with lunches and put 50x more effort into breakfast and dinners, so while I'm awkwardly explaining that yes, half a jar of kimchi, mashed turnips from three weeks ago (in the freezer at work, where I bring our less sexy dinner leftovers) and a piece of bread are indeed my vegan lunch today, all of my coworkers who had a bottle of pop and cream of chicken soup escape scrutiny. I wish we could just all come to the conclusion that no one eats good lunches at my workplace and the conversation about "omg what is the vegan eating' is really trite. On the rare occasion that I get a sandwich from a nearby bakery everyone is all 'whooooa they made you a VEGAN SANDWICH?!' and when I explain that it's veggies, avocado, and mustard they're like 'holy crepe that actually sounds okay!'

I also get "you actually eat a lot for a vegan!' with reference to my meals. It's...weird.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:24 am 

a friend on fb buying fur...:/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:18 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Paleo "science." And *I'm* the crazy one for saying beans are actually good for you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:26 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Tofulish wrote:

I recently had a friend do this, too. She hasn't openly complained about vegans 'dropping' her (at least not that I'm aware of), but I wouldn't put it past her because she is striving to push all the vegans out of her life. The thing is I really tried to reach out and keep in touch. I remember inviting her to a party I had and she RSVP'd very enthusiastically and asked if she could bring friends and I said of course. She never showed up, and never said anything to me about it-- or anything else --again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:17 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

Veganism 1.0 = dogmatism. Veganism 2.0 = fun.

I just read this in an interview about a vegan online store located here in Dresden, Germany. The owners of that store apparently think that there are two categories of vegans. "Old vegans", who are dogmatics because they think it is wrong to kill animals. And "new vegans", who don't want to have anything to do with the political and ethical foundations of veganism. "Vegans just want to have fun", eh?

This kind of bullshiitake seems to be widely popluar in Germany right now because capitalism discovered veganism. Now it's time to strip off the morals and ethics so people, vegan or not, will buy all the stuff. I think I just might have found a good reason to boycott certain vegan products, books and online stores.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11832 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 413, 414, 415, 416, 417, 418, 419 ... 474  Next