| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 414, 415, 416, 417, 418, 419, 420 ... 512  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:39 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:07 pm
Posts: 1433
Location: Berlin
Mihl, I hate that, too. And when you critizise it you're just not being close-minded. if I actually thought capitalism was going to help tons of animals, I sure wouldn't be against it so much!

_________________
http://www.veganinberlin.com
"Money ain't got no owners, only spenders." - Omar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:22 am 
Offline
Built this city on rock and roll
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Posts: 1208
VeganinBerlin wrote:
Mihl, I hate that, too. And when you critizise it you're just not being close-minded. if I actually thought capitalism was going to help tons of animals, I sure wouldn't be against it so much!


We're dogmatics, we can critise everything! (Already typing up a blog entry.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:13 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2821
Location: Boston, MA
People confusing vegan and natural. It happens constantly now. This girl I know who used to be vegan but is now paleo or something, posted on FB about a natural and vegan makeup brand and said "Vegan stuff is much better for your skin." No, you probably mean natural stuff, which I wouldn't necessarily agree with anyway. So many misconceptions in one little sentence.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:21 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2821
Location: Boston, MA
Mihl wrote:
Veganism 1.0 = dogmatism. Veganism 2.0 = fun.

I just read this in an interview about a vegan online store located here in Dresden, Germany. The owners of that store apparently think that there are two categories of vegans. "Old vegans", who are dogmatics because they think it is wrong to kill animals. And "new vegans", who don't want to have anything to do with the political and ethical foundations of veganism. "Vegans just want to have fun", eh?

This kind of bullshiitake seems to be widely popluar in Germany right now because capitalism discovered veganism. Now it's time to strip off the morals and ethics so people, vegan or not, will buy all the stuff. I think I just might have found a good reason to boycott certain vegan products, books and online stores.

I think I know what you mean, this is happening to some extent in the US as well. Veganism seems to have become a trendy selling point devoid of all meaning, or it becomes conveniently infused with whatever meaning people seem to want it to have. It relates to what I posted above about people thinking veganism is all about health or purity or naturalness. I'd be interested to read your blog post.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:06 am 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5562
Location: A New England
This is an ongoing peeve of mine. Why does every article, blurb, review, or other printed reference to a vegan business, event, author, product, or anything else have to begin with, "I'm not a vegetarian"? Why this need to make sure the reader doesn't imagine the writer doesn't love the meats? Does it add weight to a positive review if the reviewer is an omnivore? Conversely, if the review is negative, does that just reinforce the idea that veg*ns will eat anything because we can't have what everyone really wants (i.e. BACON)? It's even more annoying when the subject is wholly unrelated to what the writer does or doesn't eat, like this recent notice about the upcoming local veg fest, which is just supposed to provide information about time, location, venders, speakers, etc. of an event that hasn't happened yet. Who cares what you eat? Just tell me where the event is, crasshole.

This is a particularly fine of the standard disclaimer being combined with another pet peeve: the complete elision of the ethical, environmental, or political reasons people might choose veganism. Obviously, the way to put a positive spin on not eating animals is that it's "healthy."
Quote:
"While I’m not vegetarian, I am someone who has been pleasantly surprised by our city’s commitment to community building and its collective promotion of a healthy lifestyle. Local farming initiatives like YouthGROW Farms, the increasing number of juice bars and healthy restaurants and the growing popularity of exercise groups all point to a city moving in the right direction. Worcester VegFest 2014 will stoke this trend’s flames."
Exercise groups? what the fizzle does that have to do with anything? And while it's true our city has a growing number of vegan options, those "juice bars and healthy restaurants" are big on the "free range egg white omelets" and happy artisanal turkey sandwiches. It just irks the bejesus out of me, not only because it comes off as patronizing, but because it ignores who veganism is most healthy for: the animals who aren't getting eaten.

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:29 am 
Offline
Sick of Cupcakes
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 6876
Location: Modesto, CA
reading yelp i come across so many 'i am not vegan buttttt'....it's like thanks for clearing that up buddy! because being labeled vegan would be oh so bad - scary even! do they go into the restaurant an announce 'i'm not vegan!!!!'. actually scratch that, i believe i have overheard some of this type of talk before.
a few months back we were at flaco's (berkeley) and a guy walks in, finds out they are vegan - walks out. out of all the vegan food to try flaco's seems the least scary in an adventure of 'vegan scary food'...

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:39 am 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:42 pm
Posts: 2241
Oh, man. We were at a Veggie Grill one time and this guy came in and was admiring everyone's food as he made his way up to the counter, talking about how good it sounded as he looked over the menu and then found out what he ordered wasn't a "real" burger and just turned on his heel and walked out. Really? You don't even want to try it? You thought it looked/smelled appetizing literally a second ago. Weird. Not to mention kind of rude to not even say, "Oh, you know? I changed my mind." or anything to the cashier.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:59 am 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:00 am
Posts: 109
Location: Boulder, CO
Pinko wrote:
Oh, man. We were at a Veggie Grill one time and this guy came in and was admiring everyone's food as he made his way up to the counter, talking about how good it sounded as he looked over the menu and then found out what he ordered wasn't a "real" burger and just turned on his heel and walked out. Really? You don't even want to try it? You thought it looked/smelled appetizing literally a second ago. Weird. Not to mention kind of rude to not even say, "Oh, you know? I changed my mind." or anything to the cashier.


I was talking with a server at the local Native Foods, they told me once a customer got really upset because they had been "tricked" in buying vegan food. Which, if you know anything about the inside of a native foods, is really hilarious.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:26 am 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9601
Location: Seattle
Desdemona wrote:
This is an ongoing peeve of mine. Why does every article, blurb, review, or other printed reference to a vegan business, event, author, product, or anything else have to begin with, "I'm not a vegetarian"? Why this need to make sure the reader doesn't imagine the writer doesn't love the meats? Does it add weight to a positive review if the reviewer is an omnivore?


I think it's just shorthand for "I'm not a weirdo, really! I'm just reviewing this business because my boss told me to! I like meat! I'm not one of them!"

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:29 am 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5562
Location: A New England
We had brunch at V-Note last weekend, and I overheard a guy a couple tables away ask his companion (who must have been the veg*n member of this group), "Is it real bacon? The sign outside says everything on the menu is kosher." Apparently he missed the part of then sign that says "vegan."

ETA in reference to the local vegfest write-up: the funniest thing about all the "healthy" rhetoric in that blurb is that everyone knows you go to VegFest to eat free samples, none of which are salads. Oh, yeah…May Wah BBQ veggie pork: feel the burn!

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:36 am 
Offline
Sick of Cupcakes
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 6876
Location: Modesto, CA
hells angels were eating at a fave high end veg place of ours once, did not know the beet burgers were vegan but did not throw a fit after finding out.

i just heard a study on the news saying vegetarians have more anxiety, cancer and mental health problems than omnivores. WTH?

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:51 am 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:58 pm
Posts: 4728
Location: Santa Cruz whoop whoop
missmuffcake wrote:
i just heard a study on the news saying vegetarians have more anxiety, cancer and mental health problems than omnivores. WTH?


It's cause of everyone giving us crepe about it. Leave us alone and we'll be fine!

_________________
"Trolling an internet message board, The Greatest Activism Of All." - pandacookie
Вы такие сексапильные, когда злитесь


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:02 pm 
Offline
Sick of Cupcakes
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:35 pm
Posts: 6702
Location: Norristown, PA
missmuffcake wrote:
reading yelp i come across so many 'i am not vegan buttttt'....it's like thanks for clearing that up buddy! because being labeled vegan would be oh so bad - scary even! do they go into the restaurant an announce 'i'm not vegan!!!!'. actually scratch that, i believe i have overheard some of this type of talk before.
a few months back we were at flaco's (berkeley) and a guy walks in, finds out they are vegan - walks out. out of all the vegan food to try flaco's seems the least scary in an adventure of 'vegan scary food'...


I am vegan butt!

_________________
Man, fork the gender card, imma come at you with the whole damned gender deck. - Olives
Did you ever think that, like, YOU are a sexy costume FOR a diva cup? - solipsistnation
blog! FB!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:07 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:00 am
Posts: 479
missmuffcake wrote:
i just heard a study on the news saying vegetarians have more anxiety, cancer and mental health problems than omnivores. WTH?


I read the study. They didn't control for whether people were already veg, or whether they went veg in response to an illness as a way to try to ameliorate the symptoms. Given how many people make dietary changes in response to an illness, this is a pretty big oversight and renders the study meaningless.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:08 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:32 pm
Posts: 427
solipsistnation wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
i just heard a study on the news saying vegetarians have more anxiety, cancer and mental health problems than omnivores. WTH?


It's cause of everyone giving us crepe about it. Leave us alone and we'll be fine!


What was the study? I hope they weren't saying those things are CAUSED by being veg. If their stats actually are true, it could be from people going veg because they think it'll cure their cancer or whatever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:35 pm 
Offline
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 1233
Probably sponsored by Big Ag.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:41 pm 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2242
Location: Austin, TX
I read about the study on reddit the other day. It was an Australian study
http://www.reddit.com/r/science/comment ... re/cgalim8

The first comment pretty much sums up the problems with it and the link up top goes to the original study if you want to look at it.

_________________
blarg Lazy Smurf's Guide to Life
twitter @veganLazySmurf
Pinterest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:32 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:50 pm
Posts: 3212
Location: The Bene
choirqueer wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
reading yelp i come across so many 'i am not vegan buttttt'....it's like thanks for clearing that up buddy! because being labeled vegan would be oh so bad - scary even! do they go into the restaurant an announce 'i'm not vegan!!!!'. actually scratch that, i believe i have overheard some of this type of talk before.
a few months back we were at flaco's (berkeley) and a guy walks in, finds out they are vegan - walks out. out of all the vegan food to try flaco's seems the least scary in an adventure of 'vegan scary food'...


I am vegan butt!


<3

_________________
Ain't no guarantees in life, and nothing that comes out of my vagina can change that. - Erika Soyf*cker

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:38 pm 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7896
Location: Seattle
Ginny Messina had a nice write-up of the study referenced above, and its drawbacks: http://www.theveganrd.com/2014/04/are-vegetarians-less-healthy-than-meat-eaters.html

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:35 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10685
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
it annoys me that this super popular restaurant in my neighborhood makes multiple fried tofu sandwiches and won't make them vegan. they are served on challah (they have no other bread apparently?) and it has coleslaw on it. it's probably an egg batter for frying, too. i guess they don't need the vegan business because there's always a line a mile long outside, but still. it's dumb. i've asked them a few times about vegan options and they've said they're working on it....but the last time i asked was a year ago.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:51 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9601
Location: Seattle
Look, it takes a long time not to put cole slaw on something.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:45 am 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3727
Location: Bella Napoli
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere (I am way behind on other threads/fora) but I kind of love it. I could use an avocado one as well…

http://www.shopthetrendboutique.com/loc ... ubid=73861

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:09 am 
Offline
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5384
Location: BRLA
I keep getting invited to these potlucks where no one is offering to bring anything vegan, yet they specifically call me out to ask me to bring that thing I make that they like. I get that they think they're complimenting my dish or whatever, but you're all literally just inviting me over to bring you food that you like. Hospitality in the south sucks, ya'll.

_________________
The thing about this thread is, it's dumb. - IJDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:22 am 
Offline
Thinks chickens are assholes
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:17 pm
Posts: 5619
Fee wrote:
I keep getting invited to these potlucks where no one is offering to bring anything vegan, yet they specifically call me out to ask me to bring that thing I make that they like. I get that they think they're complimenting my dish or whatever, but you're all literally just inviting me over to bring you food that you like. Hospitality in the south sucks, ya'll.


fork that shiitake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:01 am 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5562
Location: A New England
fezza wrote:
Fee wrote:
I keep getting invited to these potlucks where no one is offering to bring anything vegan, yet they specifically call me out to ask me to bring that thing I make that they like. I get that they think they're complimenting my dish or whatever, but you're all literally just inviting me over to bring you food that you like. Hospitality in the south sucks, ya'll.
fork that shiitake.
For real. That is unbelievably rude. Not only are they just inviting you over to bring them food that they like, they're expecting you to bring the only thing that you'll be able to eat (which they will also eat because they actually like it; see above). If I were you, I'd manufacture a previous engagement, then stay home and eat all my own delicious vegan food in my underwear.

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 414, 415, 416, 417, 418, 419, 420 ... 512  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fetalexplosion and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer