| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 414, 415, 416, 417, 418, 419, 420 ... 512  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:39 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Mihl, I hate that, too. And when you critizise it you're just not being close-minded. if I actually thought capitalism was going to help tons of animals, I sure wouldn't be against it so much!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:22 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Mihl, I hate that, too. And when you critizise it you're just not being close-minded. if I actually thought capitalism was going to help tons of animals, I sure wouldn't be against it so much!

We're dogmatics, we can critise everything! (Already typing up a blog entry.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:13 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

People confusing vegan and natural. It happens constantly now. This girl I know who used to be vegan but is now paleo or something, posted on FB about a natural and vegan makeup brand and said "Vegan stuff is much better for your skin." No, you probably mean natural stuff, which I wouldn't necessarily agree with anyway. So many misconceptions in one little sentence.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:21 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Mihl wrote:
Veganism 1.0 = dogmatism. Veganism 2.0 = fun.

I just read this in an interview about a vegan online store located here in Dresden, Germany. The owners of that store apparently think that there are two categories of vegans. "Old vegans", who are dogmatics because they think it is wrong to kill animals. And "new vegans", who don't want to have anything to do with the political and ethical foundations of veganism. "Vegans just want to have fun", eh?

This kind of bullshiitake seems to be widely popluar in Germany right now because capitalism discovered veganism. Now it's time to strip off the morals and ethics so people, vegan or not, will buy all the stuff. I think I just might have found a good reason to boycott certain vegan products, books and online stores.

I think I know what you mean, this is happening to some extent in the US as well. Veganism seems to have become a trendy selling point devoid of all meaning, or it becomes conveniently infused with whatever meaning people seem to want it to have. It relates to what I posted above about people thinking veganism is all about health or purity or naturalness. I'd be interested to read your blog post.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:06 am 
Flounceiad 2011

This is an ongoing peeve of mine. Why does every article, blurb, review, or other printed reference to a vegan business, event, author, product, or anything else have to begin with, "I'm not a vegetarian"? Why this need to make sure the reader doesn't imagine the writer doesn't love the meats? Does it add weight to a positive review if the reviewer is an omnivore? Conversely, if the review is negative, does that just reinforce the idea that veg*ns will eat anything because we can't have what everyone really wants (i.e. BACON)? It's even more annoying when the subject is wholly unrelated to what the writer does or doesn't eat, like this recent notice about the upcoming local veg fest, which is just supposed to provide information about time, location, venders, speakers, etc. of an event that hasn't happened yet. Who cares what you eat? Just tell me where the event is, crasshole.

This is a particularly fine of the standard disclaimer being combined with another pet peeve: the complete elision of the ethical, environmental, or political reasons people might choose veganism. Obviously, the way to put a positive spin on not eating animals is that it's "healthy."
Quote:
"While I’m not vegetarian, I am someone who has been pleasantly surprised by our city’s commitment to community building and its collective promotion of a healthy lifestyle. Local farming initiatives like YouthGROW Farms, the increasing number of juice bars and healthy restaurants and the growing popularity of exercise groups all point to a city moving in the right direction. Worcester VegFest 2014 will stoke this trend’s flames."
Exercise groups? what the fizzle does that have to do with anything? And while it's true our city has a growing number of vegan options, those "juice bars and healthy restaurants" are big on the "free range egg white omelets" and happy artisanal turkey sandwiches. It just irks the bejesus out of me, not only because it comes off as patronizing, but because it ignores who veganism is most healthy for: the animals who aren't getting eaten.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:29 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

reading yelp i come across so many 'i am not vegan buttttt'....it's like thanks for clearing that up buddy! because being labeled vegan would be oh so bad - scary even! do they go into the restaurant an announce 'i'm not vegan!!!!'. actually scratch that, i believe i have overheard some of this type of talk before.
a few months back we were at flaco's (berkeley) and a guy walks in, finds out they are vegan - walks out. out of all the vegan food to try flaco's seems the least scary in an adventure of 'vegan scary food'...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:39 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh, man. We were at a Veggie Grill one time and this guy came in and was admiring everyone's food as he made his way up to the counter, talking about how good it sounded as he looked over the menu and then found out what he ordered wasn't a "real" burger and just turned on his heel and walked out. Really? You don't even want to try it? You thought it looked/smelled appetizing literally a second ago. Weird. Not to mention kind of rude to not even say, "Oh, you know? I changed my mind." or anything to the cashier.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:59 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Pinko wrote:
Oh, man. We were at a Veggie Grill one time and this guy came in and was admiring everyone's food as he made his way up to the counter, talking about how good it sounded as he looked over the menu and then found out what he ordered wasn't a "real" burger and just turned on his heel and walked out. Really? You don't even want to try it? You thought it looked/smelled appetizing literally a second ago. Weird. Not to mention kind of rude to not even say, "Oh, you know? I changed my mind." or anything to the cashier.

I was talking with a server at the local Native Foods, they told me once a customer got really upset because they had been "tricked" in buying vegan food. Which, if you know anything about the inside of a native foods, is really hilarious.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:26 am 
Grandfathered In

Desdemona wrote:
This is an ongoing peeve of mine. Why does every article, blurb, review, or other printed reference to a vegan business, event, author, product, or anything else have to begin with, "I'm not a vegetarian"? Why this need to make sure the reader doesn't imagine the writer doesn't love the meats? Does it add weight to a positive review if the reviewer is an omnivore?

I think it's just shorthand for "I'm not a weirdo, really! I'm just reviewing this business because my boss told me to! I like meat! I'm not one of them!"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:29 am 
Flounceiad 2011

We had brunch at V-Note last weekend, and I overheard a guy a couple tables away ask his companion (who must have been the veg*n member of this group), "Is it real bacon? The sign outside says everything on the menu is kosher." Apparently he missed the part of then sign that says "vegan."

ETA in reference to the local vegfest write-up: the funniest thing about all the "healthy" rhetoric in that blurb is that everyone knows you go to VegFest to eat free samples, none of which are salads. Oh, yeah…May Wah BBQ veggie pork: feel the burn!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:36 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

hells angels were eating at a fave high end veg place of ours once, did not know the beet burgers were vegan but did not throw a fit after finding out.

i just heard a study on the news saying vegetarians have more anxiety, cancer and mental health problems than omnivores. WTH?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:51 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

missmuffcake wrote:
i just heard a study on the news saying vegetarians have more anxiety, cancer and mental health problems than omnivores. WTH?

It's cause of everyone giving us crepe about it. Leave us alone and we'll be fine!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:02 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

missmuffcake wrote:
reading yelp i come across so many 'i am not vegan buttttt'....it's like thanks for clearing that up buddy! because being labeled vegan would be oh so bad - scary even! do they go into the restaurant an announce 'i'm not vegan!!!!'. actually scratch that, i believe i have overheard some of this type of talk before.
a few months back we were at flaco's (berkeley) and a guy walks in, finds out they are vegan - walks out. out of all the vegan food to try flaco's seems the least scary in an adventure of 'vegan scary food'...

I am vegan butt!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:07 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

missmuffcake wrote:

I read the study. They didn't control for whether people were already veg, or whether they went veg in response to an illness as a way to try to ameliorate the symptoms. Given how many people make dietary changes in response to an illness, this is a pretty big oversight and renders the study meaningless.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:08 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

solipsistnation wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

It's cause of everyone giving us crepe about it. Leave us alone and we'll be fine!

What was the study? I hope they weren't saying those things are CAUSED by being veg. If their stats actually are true, it could be from people going veg because they think it'll cure their cancer or whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:35 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Probably sponsored by Big Ag.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:41 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I read about the study on reddit the other day. It was an Australian study
http://www.reddit.com/r/science/comment ... re/cgalim8

The first comment pretty much sums up the problems with it and the link up top goes to the original study if you want to look at it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

choirqueer wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

I am vegan butt!

<3

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:38 pm 
Dead by dawn

Ginny Messina had a nice write-up of the study referenced above, and its drawbacks: http://www.theveganrd.com/2014/04/are-vegetarians-less-healthy-than-meat-eaters.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:35 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

it annoys me that this super popular restaurant in my neighborhood makes multiple fried tofu sandwiches and won't make them vegan. they are served on challah (they have no other bread apparently?) and it has coleslaw on it. it's probably an egg batter for frying, too. i guess they don't need the vegan business because there's always a line a mile long outside, but still. it's dumb. i've asked them a few times about vegan options and they've said they're working on it....but the last time i asked was a year ago.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:51 pm 
Grandfathered In

Look, it takes a long time not to put cole slaw on something.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:45 am 
Nooch of Earl

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere (I am way behind on other threads/fora) but I kind of love it. I could use an avocado one as well…

http://www.shopthetrendboutique.com/loc ... ubid=73861

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:09 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I keep getting invited to these potlucks where no one is offering to bring anything vegan, yet they specifically call me out to ask me to bring that thing I make that they like. I get that they think they're complimenting my dish or whatever, but you're all literally just inviting me over to bring you food that you like. Hospitality in the south sucks, ya'll.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:22 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Fee wrote:
I keep getting invited to these potlucks where no one is offering to bring anything vegan, yet they specifically call me out to ask me to bring that thing I make that they like. I get that they think they're complimenting my dish or whatever, but you're all literally just inviting me over to bring you food that you like. Hospitality in the south sucks, ya'll.

fork that shiitake.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:01 am 
Flounceiad 2011

fezza wrote:
Fee wrote:
fork that shiitake.
For real. That is unbelievably rude. Not only are they just inviting you over to bring them food that they like, they're expecting you to bring the only thing that you'll be able to eat (which they will also eat because they actually like it; see above). If I were you, I'd manufacture a previous engagement, then stay home and eat all my own delicious vegan food in my underwear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 414, 415, 416, 417, 418, 419, 420 ... 512  Next