| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424 ... 478  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:20 am 
Online
And you never will.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:41 pm
Posts: 4252
Location: Memphis
Oh god smoothie, that story is the best/worst. Yeah, I didn't mention the smell, but that was also very terrible. Luckily we had 1 1/2 acres at the time so they weren't anywhere near the house most of the time.

On the plus side, I never ever had to cut the grass where they were.

_________________
I'm in a pure mood with poopietits now. Damn her jugs! - interrobang?!
give my you inquiries! and give poopie you burritos. - acr
Sometimes I think, it's really my lack of cybernetic implants that keeps me from being truly human. - Mars


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:39 am 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:11 pm
Posts: 511
poopiebitch wrote:
Oh god smoothie, that story is the best/worst. Yeah, I didn't mention the smell, but that was also very terrible. Luckily we had 1 1/2 acres at the time so they weren't anywhere near the house most of the time.

On the plus side, I never ever had to cut the grass where they were.


I've heard of lawn service companies that use goats. That's pretty cool. Also, I guess the university in my town used to (100 years ago) have a herd of goats that moved around campus keeping the lawn chewed. Goat wrangler would be way more fun than constant mowing, I think, though maybe I'm romanticizing.

_________________
I obliged the shiitake out of her!
- lixa
I miss my bag o' dicks
-alice1drland


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:42 am 
Offline
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:54 am
Posts: 2075
Location: Munich, finally!
In Munich there is a large park in the middle of the city and a large part of it is kept smooth by a sheep heard that grazes on it all summer. I love that!

_________________
I dunno, I guess I just get enthused over eating big ol' squishy balls. - Interrobang?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:47 am 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7709
Location: Seattle
There are definitely goat rental services in Seattle for "mowing" and clearing brush.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:54 am 
Offline
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 7685
Location: Brasil
we use sheep for the parks here. they rotate a herd from park to park, and there are actually shepherds on the town payroll; i knew someone in the US, VT, i think, who had a goat mowing service, they were supposed to be amazing for clearing brush and vines and all sorts of crepe.
i think having them in the park and such is awesome, i think the stank happens when they are stuck in little pens and don't get out much.

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:59 am 
Offline
Wears Durian Helmet
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:13 pm
Posts: 817
Location: Seattle, WA
monkeytoes wrote:
There are definitely goat rental services in Seattle for "mowing" and clearing brush.


This is one of my favorite things about Seattle. They used them to clear a section of the Burke by my apartment a few months ago. It made me really happy to run by and see all these goats chomping away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:03 pm 
Online
And you never will.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:41 pm
Posts: 4252
Location: Memphis
Oh yeah! They're great for that! I remember when the neighbor across the street cleared out a bunch of brush and cut down some big limbs behind their house, and we took our goats over and within an hour the limbs were stripped bare and the brush was gone. Like, just gone. Just don't ever let them near any plants you don't want to disappear.

_________________
I'm in a pure mood with poopietits now. Damn her jugs! - interrobang?!
give my you inquiries! and give poopie you burritos. - acr
Sometimes I think, it's really my lack of cybernetic implants that keeps me from being truly human. - Mars


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:29 pm 
Online
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18745
Location: Cliffbar NJ
I WANT A GOAT POSSE SO MUCH!!!!!

Image

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:29 pm 
Offline
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:30 pm
Posts: 792
Location: Cascadia
Simply_Love wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:
There are definitely goat rental services in Seattle for "mowing" and clearing brush.


This is one of my favorite things about Seattle. They used them to clear a section of the Burke by my apartment a few months ago. It made me really happy to run by and see all these goats chomping away.

I saw some when I was in Seattle a few months ago. Maybe they were the same goats!

My friends have three rescue goats. They are super funny but they are quite vocal! I like watching them push each other to be on the structure that they have for them to climb on. Even though all three of them fit on it they don't want to share with the others when they're on top. They got them from people who were selling them to be eaten but they aren't going to eat them. My friends are not vegan or vegetarian but I'm hoping that they'll realize that since their animals are friends not food (they have a cow too) then maybe they'll stop eating all animals. That probably won't happen but I can hope.

_________________
I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:47 pm 
Offline
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 10206
Location: Illinoize
Well thanks guys, now Brian is upset because i'm now obsessed with rescuing a goat. Or three.

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:59 pm 
Offline
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:30 pm
Posts: 792
Location: Cascadia
mrsbadmouth wrote:
Well thanks guys, now Brian is upset because i'm now obsessed with rescuing a goat. Or three.


Get some goats! And a bendy steel thing!! Hours of entertainment.

_________________
I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:09 pm 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 1688
Location: MA
I love goats. I didn't realize they were very vocal, but any goat rescue ideas I had would have to wait a few years anyway.

But they're so cute! And so endearingly weird.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:16 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5248
Location: A New England
Tofulish wrote:
I WANT A GOAT POSSE SO MUCH!!!!!

Image
GOAT POSSE!!!!!!!

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:17 pm 
Offline
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 10206
Location: Illinoize
The thing is, we have a big enough yard that if I wanted a single goat, or a couple of rescue chickens, we have the room to build them a little house and fenced off, dog free area. But we're also surrounded by neighbors who would hate us even if the laws allowed us to keep farm animals.

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:22 pm 
Offline
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:55 pm
Posts: 809
Location: Hella Oakland, CA
My sweetheart's parents have goats and they are super friendly even if they try to eat your clothes. I think they originally got them for scrub-clearing (yum!) but the goats weren't into it so they just kind of hang out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:49 pm 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3639
Location: Bella Napoli
I don't want to hang out with goats and I don't want to go to the pig beach. I think I've failed at veganism.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:38 pm 
Offline
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:08 pm
Posts: 917
Location: PDX
Re goats and other farm animals - they tend to live long lives if they're not used for food, so adopting them is a big commitment. Plus you can get crazy vet bills. My daughter talked us into a horse when you was 15 (she's now 36) and we're still paying her former trainer to take care of the horse, which is too old to ride but very happy. And my daughter hasn't been around to ride her anyway in the last 15 years - we could never find anyone who wanted to take her off our hands. We even offered to pay future vet bills!

Back to organic. Annak alluded to this too, but the main reason I buy organic when I can afford it (especially for the dirty dozen) is because of my concern for farmworkers. There is lots of evidence linking their astronomical cancer rates and accidental poisonings with pesticides. I'm sure organic ones cause problems too, but I think they tend to break down more quickly.

_________________
Formerly Kaleicious. I still love kale, but no more than lots of other garden greens too! Orach is currently my favorite.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:56 pm 
Offline
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 7274
Location: Portland
I can't speak for VIB, but for me, I do buy organic sometimes. It's not that I think it's BAD. I just am on a budget, and I get a lot more bang for my buck, produce wise, if I buy conventional.

The thing I think VIB was getting at, and the thing I responded to when I quoted her original post, was that it's super annoying to have other people assume that because you're vegan, you have a particular stance on organics and GMOs.

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
Don't you know that vegan meat is the gateway drug to chicken addiction? Because GMO and trans-fats. - kaerlighed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:59 pm 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:07 pm
Posts: 1308
Location: Berlin
Jill wrote:
Re goats and other farm animals - they tend to live long lives if they're not used for food, so adopting them is a big commitment. Plus you can get crazy vet bills. My daughter talked us into a horse when you was 15 (she's now 36) and we're still paying her former trainer to take care of the horse, which is too old to ride but very happy. And my daughter hasn't been around to ride her anyway in the last 15 years - we could never find anyone who wanted to take her off our hands. We even offered to pay future vet bills!

Back to organic. Annak alluded to this too, but the main reason I buy organic when I can afford it (especially for the dirty dozen) is because of my concern for farmworkers. There is lots of evidence linking their astronomical cancer rates and accidental poisonings with pesticides. I'm sure organic ones cause problems too, but I think they tend to break down more quickly.


How is the way farm workers are exposed to pesticides related with the dirty dozen? The idea of the dirty dozen is not according to what fruit/veg is sprayed the most, but which fruit/veg retain more of it.

Why do organic pesticides break down more easily? That would be an interesting thing if true. I just read through the list of substances allowed in organic farming: http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/NOPPeti ... esDatabase
I doubt that rotenone, copper, nicotine sulfate, and pyrethrums break down more easily than every other non-organic pesticide or that they're just healthier to farm workers in general. It's possible of course, but I have never read any papers on it. All the papers I have seen just tested how dangerous particular non-organic pesticides are. And I definitely don't doubt that.

_________________
http://www.veganinberlin.com
"Money ain't got no owners, only spenders." - Omar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:07 pm 
Offline
Plays The Sims 2 religiously
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 7142
Location: Portland, OR
No one's argued that non-organic is bad. A lot of us eat organic though, and there's nothing wrong with that either.

_________________
i would schmear marmite on a moist scrotum for Mars. - interrobang?!
"Not everything." ~ mumbles (1973-2013) - mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:08 pm 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:07 pm
Posts: 1308
Location: Berlin
jordanpattern wrote:
I can't speak for VIB, but for me, I do buy organic sometimes. It's not that I think it's BAD. I just am on a budget, and I get a lot more bang for my buck, produce wise, if I buy conventional.

The thing I think VIB was getting at, and the thing I responded to when I quoted her original post, was that it's super annoying to have other people assume that because you're vegan, you have a particular stance on organics and GMOs.


I buy organic food sometimes, but not because if it's organic. The fairtrade bananas at my supermarket are also organic, I get a local produce box twice a month that is also organic, and almost all great vegan sweets happen to be organic. I don't mind organic food, I'm just not convinced it's healthier, better for environment or is going to save the earth.

_________________
http://www.veganinberlin.com
"Money ain't got no owners, only spenders." - Omar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:44 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5248
Location: A New England
jordanpattern wrote:
I can't speak for VIB, but for me, I do buy organic sometimes. It's not that I think it's BAD. I just am on a budget, and I get a lot more bang for my buck, produce wise, if I buy conventional.
This is me, too. I'm happy to buy organic produce (especially in season and/or it's grown locally) if it's available and doesn't break the bank. But I feed a house full of people (anywhere from 3-5 humans depending on who's home from school, etc., 2 cats, and a dog), so I need to keep an eye on the bottom line and getting the most food for my money.

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:00 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:19 pm
Posts: 523
Location: Sacred City, California
Someone I unfriended on FB (for lots of reasons) posted this and said she agreed with the author's stance on veg*nism and privilege. The piece has me scratching my head; it's very poorly reasoned but there is little dissent in the comments. The author has severe food allergies, but she seems to have written this as a means of bashing veg*ans and talking about how her sister is a big Smiths-loving meanie. She also states that ALL vegan food relies heavily on apples, carrots, and cumin, all of which will kill her, and we're all privileged and ableist for wanting more options at restaurants.


This is on Jezebel, but I'm posting it through donotlink.com so the PPK isn't sending hits.
http://www.donotlink.com/gck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:08 pm 
Online
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18745
Location: Cliffbar NJ
That is amazingly awful writing. And basically the whole thing is a giant public tantrum about her meaniepants sister. Her life really does sound awful, and I feel for her, but its hard to see what any of it has to do with vegans (besides her sister).

Quote:
I said that I couldn't do red mashed potatoes this year because even if I'm not allergic to red potatoes, mashed potatoes have dairy and vegan mashed red potatoes would probably have a terrible texture.


I guess I don't understand either why refusing to try a food because its vegan and you assume it would have a terrible texture has anything to do with food allergies and her chronic medical condition.

It is hard not to feel bad for her. It has to be scary to feel like you could die at any moment and to have your choices so limited. And while we only hear one side of the story, if her piece is completely true, her sister could be kinder to her. But none of that has anything to do with vegans in general.

Also, I think its nice that the vegans commenting are being so nice and non-trollish.

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:44 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:19 pm
Posts: 523
Location: Sacred City, California
Tofulish wrote:
That is amazingly awful writing. And basically the whole thing is a giant public tantrum about her meaniepants sister. Her life really does sound awful, and I feel for her, but its hard to see what any of it has to do with vegans (besides her sister).

Quote:
I said that I couldn't do red mashed potatoes this year because even if I'm not allergic to red potatoes, mashed potatoes have dairy and vegan mashed red potatoes would probably have a terrible texture.


I guess I don't understand either why refusing to try a food because its vegan and you assume it would have a terrible texture has anything to do with food allergies and her chronic medical condition.

It is hard not to feel bad for her. It has to be scary to feel like you could die at any moment and to have your choices so limited. And while we only hear one side of the story, if her piece is completely true, her sister could be kinder to her. But none of that has anything to do with vegans in general.

Also, I think its nice that the vegans commenting are being so nice and non-trollish.


I do sympathize with her, and I'm also glad that vegans are being kind in the comments. The whole post is just odd!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424 ... 478  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aelle, Audrey, poopiebitch, Tofulish, TrailMix and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer