| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12637 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 423, 424, 425, 426, 427, 428, 429 ... 506  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:26 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Arisaig wrote:
There's also the fact that eggs are symbolic of life and renewal, which is what the holiday celebrates. You don't need to eat a real egg (or bunny or lamb -ugh-) to celebrate the return of life after winter, or Jesus' resurrection. In fact it seems bizarre that you would kill a baby animal to celebrate life and renewal.
Yeah, the whole "roasting the lamb of God for Easter" thing has always struck me as weird, but then Christianity is all about the cannibalism.

For me, the point of recreating favorite pregan dishes is that aha! moment of emotional, sensory recognition when it works. Because at the end of the day it isn't about the meat or eggs or cheese, it's about capturing whatever visceral associations we have with certain tastes, smells, and textures. It's not important for it to actually be a chicken or a pig or whatever, and if you can get that ineffable feeling you had from mom's chicken soup or dad's beef stroganoff or grandma's deviled eggs with actually hurting anyone, why wouldn't you? I wrote a whole blog post about this idea awhile back, which I'll just post here rather than retyping or trying to condense it.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/2009 ... r-fry.html

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:24 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

The reactions of people in this video. It's a prank from Brazilian TV. It's safe to watch in terms of no animals being harmed, but the hypocrisy may make your head explode. (I'll spoiler a description below in case anyone is afraid/doesn't feel like watching it.) A local vegan organization posted it on their facebook page suggesting that it provided a glimmer of hope. Maybe I'm too cynical, but it just confirmed for me the total disconnect people have with where their food comes from.

Spoiler: show
It's a butcher in a supermarket offering people a taste of sausage. When he offers to make them a pound of it fresh, he grabs a live piglet out of a pen and puts it into a "grinder". What actually happens is that a woman under the table grabs the piglet and feeds already made sausage out of the "grinder" into the butcher's hands. People who were just moments earlier enjoying sausage are mortified and react accordingly.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:25 am 
Nailed to the V

So we have this big beer fest coming up next weekend and I use big plastic containers to organize the t-shirts. On Friday the two chefs (who refuse to put any vegan food on the menu and who probably each own at least one shirt about how good bacon is) came up and asked if they could "borrow" a few of them. And that they would totally give them back ASAP. Jokingly I said, "What are you using them for? To hide the bodies?" and one said, "No, to brine chicken in." (Maybe it was snotty of me to say back, "So, actually, yes -- for bodies.")

You want to use my t-shirt storage bins to BRINE CHICKEN and you'll give them back to me to use to store t-shirts when you're done? Really?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:33 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I had to hide one facebook friend's pictute of a lamb being roasted. Another friend posted a picture of a "lamby cake" (something her family does every year), which is essentially a cake shaped like a lamb. Quite cute and a pretty neat idea.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:34 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

FootFace wrote:
We need the omnivores to tell us how to vegan.

It's the mansplaining of the vegan world.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:37 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Someone said to me this weekend that they couldn't possibly be vegetarian or vegan because of their particular blood type. Before then, I honestly could not believe that any sane adult would believe pseudoscience which is so obviously and ridiculously bogus.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:40 am 
Dead by dawn

Yeah, as a type O, I'm supposed to practically be an obligate carnivore yet somehow I've thrived without meat for 27+ years. Unless I am dead and just haven't noticed...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:16 pm 
Grandfathered In

monkeytoes wrote:
Yeah, as a type O, I'm supposed to practically be an obligate carnivore yet somehow I've thrived without meat for 27+ years. Unless I am dead and just haven't noticed...

We all died long ago.

"Where do you get your protein from? Aha!"

"I don't. I died."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:19 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Type M. For MEAT.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:31 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

sweet_potato wrote:
I had to hide one facebook friend's pictute of a lamb being roasted. Another friend posted a picture of a "lamby cake" (something her family does every year), which is essentially a cake shaped like a lamb. Quite cute and a pretty neat idea.

We always had the lamb cake at Easter and I refused to eat the head. I would only eat the rump because that seemed somehow nicer. (Plus it was an end so had a good ratio of coconut to cake.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:43 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Now I want lamb butt cake. Is that weird?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:55 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

poopiebitch wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
Alternatively, they are overly stimulating flavours and therefore not ascetic.

This is the reason I was given. I'd rather just be stimulated, thanks.

Some Buddhist friends of mine try to avoid garlic and onions because they say it plays havoc with their meditation - so it overstimulates them in that context.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:36 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Moon wrote:
Now I want lamb butt cake. Is that weird?

I would never judge. Plus coconut lamb butt cake is delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:22 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

monkeytoes wrote:

I'm AB, I think that means I can eat whatever I want. This blood type diet totally works, y'all!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:38 am 
Nooch of Earl

The lamb head was the best part because you got the most coconut that way, plus the candy eyes and nose!

I made one last year! It was awesome. It took me a long time to find a suitable vegan pound cake recipe*, but the Vcon lemon one will work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:18 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

poopiebitch wrote:
I just wish the vegan police would stop telling other vegans what vegan foods they are and aren't allowed to eat and enjoy, based on their own personal brand of crazy.

This! So much this!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:49 am 
Seagull of the PPK

fork tha vegan police! (i saw that sausage video and thought it was AWESOME. so many people are so ignorant about their food. luckily most of our family are country people who know better than that, but i know the veg groups here had a field day with that video and the next day's water-cooler talk)

back to the deadly serious issue of garlic and onions. this issue is extremely important to me, so i did a bit of research.
the scholarly line seems to be this:
Quote:
How is sexual misconduct related to diet? In the Shurangama Sutra (Mahayana school), The Buddha explains how the "Five Pungent Spices", including garlic and onions, are forbidden:

Beings who seek samadhi should refrain from eating [the] five pungent plants of this world. If these five are eaten cooked, they increase one's sexual desire; if they are eaten raw, they increase one's anger. (2)
Furthermore, the gods "will stay far away from them because they smell bad, [and] hungry ghosts will hover around and kiss their lips". (2) Being around ghosts will hinder one's quest for enlightenment. These demons have the power to appear as false Buddhas and speak false Dharma. The Buddha further warns that in the Dharma-ending Age (the age in which we are now) there will be an abundance of false prophets, or ghosts and demons who will appear as Bodhissatvas. Those who are so far off the path might believe in or be possessed by ghosts or demons mascarading as enlightened masters. These demons might talk the misguided ones into consuming "excrement and urine, or meat and wine" and justify it. (3)
(refs are (2) Shurangama Sutra, p.182, translation Buddhist Text Translation Society, see: [http://online.sfsu.edu/~rone/Buddhism/Shurangama/Shurangama.htm]

(3) Shurangama Sutra, p.232, translation Buddhist Text Translation Society, see: [http://online.sfsu.edu/~rone/Buddhism/Shurangama/Shurangama.htm])

but when I asked the monk I was cooking for, good old Ven Harold, he told me the reason why he personally did not eat garlic or onions was this story, which I got out of Food in China (Simoons) because it had details I was sure to forget:
Quote:
There is a story in an early Buddhist collection of tales, legends, riddles, and puzzles, the Jataka (c. 450 BC), indicating widespread use of garlic by Buddhists. The story is of Buddhist nuns who regularly went to a farm owned by a lay brother where they obtained a supply of garlic, two or three handfuls each. On one holiday, their garlic supply exhausted, the nuns went to get some, but the manager of the far, did not have any at home. So he directed the nuns, directed by Sister Fat Nanda, to a field where they could pick some. The sisters took so much garlic, however, that the angry farm manager complained of their greed. Word of this reached the Buddha, and he condemned them too. Significantly, however, he objected only to their greed, not to their garlic eating, which suggests no strong objection to the practice (Jataka I.136; or Cowell, 1969, I:292-3)

So, like any religion: tradition! tradition! traditiooooooooooooooon! tradition!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:03 am 
Seagull of the PPK

different topic: am I supposed to be peeved or stoked that China is a Giant Herbivore?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:40 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Lauren Von Der Pool - ugh. I usually go for the vegan chef contestant but she was really awful and rude on Chopped.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:46 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

missmuffcake wrote:
Lauren Von Der Pool - ugh. I usually go for the vegan chef contestant but she was really awful and rude on Chopped.

Ugh, yes. She got worse as the episode went on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:01 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Torque, also Jain people don't eat garlic or onions. Here's what I found on wikipedia:

Jains make considerable efforts not to injure plants in everyday life as far as possible. Jains only accept such violence inasmuch as it is indispensable for human survival, and there are special instructions for preventing unnecessary violence against plants.[12] Strict Jains don’t eat root vegetables such as potatoes, onions, roots and tubers, because such root vegetables are considered ananthkay. Ananthkay means one body, but containing countless lives. A regular vegetable such as cabbage has number of leaves and lives as could be counted by a layman. However, a root vegetable such as potato, though from the looks of it is one article, is said to contain multiple lives ('ekindriya') in it. Also, tiny life forms are injured when the plant is pulled up and because the bulb is seen as a living being, as it is able to sprout.[13] Also, consumption of most root vegetables involves uprooting and killing the entire plant. Whereas consumption of most terrestrial vegetables doesn't kill the plant (it lives on after plucking the vegetables or it was seasonally supposed to wither away anyway).

--> In India, a lot of restaurants will write on the menu that dishes can be prepared free of onion and garlic... which always seems like such a tragedy to me! :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:37 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Moon wrote:

Ugh, yes. She got worse as the episode went on.

i had to see how she reacted about the episode, she had a you tube clip in which she just goes on about how the girl who won was annoying. she was filming this at an ashram/holistic retreat...wow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:05 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

i deleted myself from a FB group because everything that was posted that was about food from a bag or whatnot was policed as processed. then the term ghetto is thrown about, i call someone out on it and get scolded...i just do not want to deal with people who think that their $400 blenders and access to organic food makes them better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:47 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ameyfm wrote:
Jains make considerable efforts not to injure plants in everyday life as far as possible. Jains only accept such violence inasmuch as it is indispensable for human survival, and there are special instructions for preventing unnecessary violence against plants.[12] Strict Jains don’t eat root vegetables such as potatoes, onions, roots and tubers, because such root vegetables are considered ananthkay. Ananthkay means one body, but containing countless lives. A regular vegetable such as cabbage has number of leaves and lives as could be counted by a layman. However, a root vegetable such as potato, though from the looks of it is one article, is said to contain multiple lives ('ekindriya') in it. Also, tiny life forms are injured when the plant is pulled up and because the bulb is seen as a living being, as it is able to sprout.[13] Also, consumption of most root vegetables involves uprooting and killing the entire plant. Whereas consumption of most terrestrial vegetables doesn't kill the plant (it lives on after plucking the vegetables or it was seasonally supposed to wither away anyway).

--> In India, a lot of restaurants will write on the menu that dishes can be prepared free of onion and garlic... which always seems like such a tragedy to me! :)

i feel so sad! one can prepare onions and garlic in such a way that part of the plant grows back!! all the alliums that have been missed out on!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:44 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

my boyfriend picks onions off his food - i eat them...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12637 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 423, 424, 425, 426, 427, 428, 429 ... 506  Next