| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 430, 431, 432, 433, 434, 435, 436 ... 496  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:26 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I've literally never eaten lamb. Look how fluffy! As a tiny child I refused to eat them because they were the fluffy friends that lived in the field around the corner. It's amazing it took me so long to make the connection and become vegan!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:16 am 
Not NOT A Furry

It gets me so sad, everytime people talk about lamb or all the other "young" meats, but the same people will still aww over cute pictures. How can an adult NOT make that connection? I feel like it must require some conscious effort to ignore the fact that the Aww is now the food on the plate.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:00 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Ugh, there's a Middle Eastern restaurant close to my office and it's usually where we go for birthdays, etc. Anyhoo, their food is delicious, but this one woman I work with ALWAYS orders the lamb and then goes on and on about how delicious it is. Then she usually looks at me and says, "sorry!" and laughs.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:10 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

There's a sheep farm that raises lambs this time of year for slaughter next to my work. Everyone who works there goes on and on and on about how cute the little lambs are (they are forking cute), and when I mention "yeah, it's so sad they are being raised for meat" everyone's like "no one wants to hear that vijita!" I was showing some clients around the property and one girl was fawning over them and her fiance asked me if it was a lamb meat farm and I said yes, and he responded "you're not supposed to tell us that!" I'm sorry, dude, I'm not going to lie to you guys to get you to book your wedding here because you can't handle the fact that the lamb on your wedding head table was once as cute as those in front of you frolicking around unaware of their destiny.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:22 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

i do not understand how people can be so blind!

i once met a vegetarian who did not want to hear about non-dairy milks and stuff because it was 'to vegan for her'...

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:25 am 
Naked Under Apron

Really for me, eating any kind of baby animal is creepy. I can't get my head around eating duckling, duckling!!

Mat.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:30 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I think the meat-eaters getting outraged over halal slaughter thing is often more to do with racism (ignorance at best) than anything else. I mean, there is really no such thing as humane slaughter and if you eat slaughtered animals you're a hypocrite to criticise other people for doing the same.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:15 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

About the lamb thing: my mum told me that if you want to eat meat that is more 'ethical' but don't have time to research it you should choose lamb, because it is (apparently) impossible to factory farm it. I'm now trying to remember whether she told me this before or after I went veg...

In case anyone is wondering, I haven't eaten lamb since I went veg. I'm not the lamb eating equivalent of oystrovegan.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm trying to take a mini vacation, just me and my dog. Just need some days off work and I want to go somewhere to chill. I found a little inn that's on the lake with hiking trails, near a distillery (!)...it seems perfect, except there's an attached restaurant, and the inn's policy is "no outside food" -- not into the restaurant, but to you ROOM. (How is that even a thing??)

I just looked at the menu and the only thing even vegetarian is "Vegetarian Selection of the Day: $19."

hahahaha...no.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:22 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Quail wrote:
I think the meat-eaters getting outraged over halal slaughter thing is often more to do with racism (ignorance at best) than anything else. I mean, there is really no such thing as humane slaughter and if you eat slaughtered animals you're a hypocrite to criticise other people for doing the same.

Of course. But they are debating the reasons against halal meat with concern to animal cruelty. These are meat eaters veiling their racism by citing their concern for animals. There's so much hypocrisy going on there I can't even think.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:56 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Someone on the college year facebook page posted up a petition to get halal meat options in the college. Now although I sympathise with people not finding food to eat on campus (I'm sure we can all relate to that!) I won't sign a petition to get even more meat in the canteen.

That's not what peeves me though. Vegetarian options came up in the conversation (in relation to vegetarians having a option, so it making sense that there be a halal/kosher choice) and they said "Not all people will want vegetarian. Personally I would pay to have some protein!"
Ugh. I just didn't want to get into a facebook argument so I let it slide (If ranting about it on here counts as sliding!).

Also, doesn't halal just cover meat and alcohol? So isn't the vegetarian stuff halal provided it's not cooked with alcohol?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:55 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Also there was another facebook thing where one of my friends went on a rant about having the right to wear a leather coat because humans are natural killers and our ancestors did not huddle together and stay afraid of the dark.... What?
Admittedly it was a drunken rant but still. I guess it was more funny than peevey in the complete non-sense it made.

Sometimes I think there should be a thread for 'shiitake people say on Facebook' or something

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:18 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Hollie wrote:
I'm trying to take a mini vacation, just me and my dog. Just need some days off work and I want to go somewhere to chill. I found a little inn that's on the lake with hiking trails, near a distillery (!)...it seems perfect, except there's an attached restaurant, and the inn's policy is "no outside food" -- not into the restaurant, but to you ROOM. (How is that even a thing??)

I just looked at the menu and the only thing even vegetarian is "Vegetarian Selection of the Day: $19."

hahahaha...no.

That's when you get a giant purse, and sneak all your delicious vegan food into your room as if you're sneaking cheap snacks into the movie theater.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:43 pm 
***LIES!!!***

pebbles wrote:

Also, doesn't halal just cover meat and alcohol? So isn't the vegetarian stuff halal provided it's not cooked with alcohol?

Yes. Doesn't cover the kosher keeping kids, but they are probably already not eating in the cafeteria.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:34 pm 
Nailed to the V

Ariann wrote:
pebbles wrote:

Yes. Doesn't cover the kosher keeping kids, but they are probably already not eating in the cafeteria.

Yup, the people I know who eat halal (like a lot of the kids at my son's daycare) eat a lot of vegetarian meals.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:10 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ariann wrote:
pebbles wrote:

Yes. Doesn't cover the kosher keeping kids, but they are probably already not eating in the

They also avoid gelatin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:30 am 
Nooch of Earl

Julie Hasson's new casserole book doesn't come out until this fall, but I am trying to prep and freeze foods for post-baby and want it NOW.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:03 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

zelavie wrote:
Hollie wrote:

hahahaha...no.

That's when you get a giant purse, and sneak all your delicious vegan food into your room as if you're sneaking cheap snacks into the movie theater.

So do they go through every single bag when people check in? That just seems so absurd to me, but I'd also just load up my suitcase with easy travel foods and not bring it inside while checking in. What if you just said it was special food for your dog?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:30 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I just immediately stopped considering going there and found a B&B nearby where they offered to make me a vegan breakfast. I'm going next week.

Shazam.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:59 am 
Not NOT A Furry

There's a post on MFP right now entitled, "How to Tell Vegan Friends to Back Off??"

I'm not going to read it, because I'm in a good mood at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:01 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

That's preposterous. And does the dog have to eat in the restaurant as well?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:01 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Butternut wrote:
Ariann wrote:
pebbles wrote:

Yes. Doesn't cover the kosher keeping kids, but they are probably already not eating in the

They also avoid gelatin

Cow or pig gelatin = meat, by either kosher or halal definitions. Plus many other animal derived substances.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:08 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Hollie wrote:
There's a post on MFP right now entitled, "How to Tell Vegan Friends to Back Off??"

I checked it out of curiosity and only read about the first half a page of responses.

You made a wise choice.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

pebbles wrote:
Hollie wrote:

I checked it out of curiosity and only read about the first half a page of responses.

You made a wise choice.

I read a little more because I'm a glutton for punishment. Once--just once--I'd like to see an anti-vegan joke that is actually funny and clever.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:41 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

j-lo is vegan/plant based - yay or nay? i am very skeptical about vegan celebs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 430, 431, 432, 433, 434, 435, 436 ... 496  Next