| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 433, 434, 435, 436, 437, 438, 439 ... 536  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:35 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:34 pm
Posts: 1016
Location: Hellbourne, VIC
paprikapapaya wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:
dropscone wrote:
What? I never see vegan soup of the day! I would be overjoyed if there was a curried coconut soup I could eat in a standard restaurant.

Agree! Any vegan soup here is always flavorless vegetable barley or something like that. I always long for a creamy soup!


Ditto!
But I do agree that vegans are inundated with all things coconut. I HATE coconut yogurt. Hate.


I'm always sad when vegan things are full of coconut because something about coconut milk, cream, and butter/oil does not agree with my guts (some shreds of coconut sprinkled on top of something is fine in moderation). So I can't eat it anyway. Boo.

_________________
If I chew on garlic that's been in a vagina, isn't that exploiting SOMEONE? - coldandsleepy
After all, you can't spell Richard Dawkins without "dickwad". - EmperorTomatoKetchup


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:07 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3659
Location: Nashville, TN
I eat the hell out of some coconut, but it inevitable gives me reflux or heartburn. WHY

tmi?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:48 pm 
Offline
Sick of Cupcakes
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:35 pm
Posts: 6745
Location: Norristown, PA
I'm in a really awkward situation right now where I wish I could just turn off the part of me that feels compelled to be a vegan and stop caring. I hate that I feel like that and it's making me feel like a really shitty person. I mean, I've been vegan for over a decade, I'm not really going to stop being vegan or anything like that. I just wish that I could turn it off sometimes. I feel like such a crasshole for even thinking that but it's just so exhausting sometimes to care about animals so much that it interferes with my ability to do other things that I want to do in my life.

_________________
Man, fork the gender card, imma come at you with the whole damned gender deck. - Olives
Did you ever think that, like, YOU are a sexy costume FOR a diva cup? - solipsistnation
blog! FB!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:28 pm 
Online
A Bad Person
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:24 pm
Posts: 3072
Location: Soy City
Hollie wrote:
Has it already been noted that there is a forking BACON RACE, where one gets "unlimited bacon" when they participate? And apparently people wear pig noses while running it?

http://baconchase.com/

It showed up as a promoted ad in my Facebook feed.

There's a local event here called the Fat asparagus 5K, where you can get beer, donuts, ice cream, or corndogs at each mile. It ends at a bar, and there's a shortcut. It honestly sounds like a lot of fun, except I won't eat like any of the food. But a vegan version of it would be pretty amazing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:41 pm 
Offline
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 8393
Location: Brasil
it sounds like my kind of race (actually, hash house harriers is my kind of race, seems just the same). i like the shortcut.
then again, i would do an asparagus 5K just as quickly. mmmmmmm

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:42 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:03 pm
Posts: 273
Location: Upstate NY
choirqueer wrote:
I'm in a really awkward situation right now where I wish I could just turn off the part of me that feels compelled to be a vegan and stop caring. I hate that I feel like that and it's making me feel like a really shitty person. I mean, I've been vegan for over a decade, I'm not really going to stop being vegan or anything like that. I just wish that I could turn it off sometimes. I feel like such a crasshole for even thinking that but it's just so exhausting sometimes to care about animals so much that it interferes with my ability to do other things that I want to do in my life.


Take it from an insensitive person, strangers die every day. It is sad and it sucks but we get on day to day without giving much thought to it. We each go on in spite of it all.

It's OK to be indifferent sometimes. You know what you are. You know what you do. You're a vegan. That can be the extent of it. It doesn't have to go any deeper than that.

Strangers die every day.

_________________
Never trust a bunny.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:39 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:00 am
Posts: 540
Location: Wales
Not really a 'vegan' pet peeve but more an animal welfare kinda peeve I suppose. I am starting to wish dog breeding was more regulated. A customer brought in their amazingly cute, but tiny 6 week old puppy today...6 weeks! That puppy should still be with his mother until around 12 weeks, right? Not to mention shouldn't be out at all really since he's not vaccinated. It's not my business I suppose but it just doesn't seem right.

_________________
MoFo blog :)
Rosie's vegan kitchen


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:33 am 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:09 pm
Posts: 214
I guess this is more of an ocd pet peeve, but I really don't like eating when I'm staying in a meat-eating household because I'm constantly obsessed with contamination so I have to wash everything and I'm concerned about touching things. Even if they're vegan friendly and make vegan food for me I worry about stuff not being cleaned properly so I can't enjoy my food.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:24 pm 
Offline
Angrily Posting on Facebook
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3189
Location: Sacramento
My boyfriend and I hosted a vegan potluck for our atheist group today. It was mostly successful, but like most potlucks it came with annoyances.

A couple of crazy, annoying vegans from the local vegan group came by and basically just criticized us for not choosing a good location (the park by that lady's house is apparently better... and this is relevant how?), ranted about how shitty vegetarians are (come on now), and invited us to their classes on fighting cancer with "healing foods." Pass. They left after half an hour of just being combative and unpleasant. While they were there, they only ate the food that they brought themselves. I assume they didn't trust us to know what vegan meant.

This is why people don't like vegans!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:08 pm 
Offline
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 8393
Location: Brasil
and that is why i stay away from the local group.
the upshot is maybe now you can develop the "cool vegan atheist" group and have potluck wars with the haters.

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:37 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 4001
Location: Edinburgh
Someone took leftover Papa John's pizza to the most recent local vegan meet-up here. Luckily, I only saw this on FB.

I've probably mentioned this before, but my current and recurrent vegan pet peeve is the raw thing. We went to a vegan faire yesterday, and every other stall was raw something or other. And most of the stuff in the goodie bags was raw. I have nothing against anyone who wants to eat raw food, but I'm allergic or sensitive to the 3 biggest ingredients in raw food, so effectively half of the faire was off limits to me (including all of the chocolate stalls because they were all raw chocolate). At least the ice cream turned out to be actual (vegan) ice cream and not some blended frozen fruit bullshiitake.

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:08 pm 
Offline
Angrily Posting on Facebook
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3189
Location: Sacramento
rachell37 wrote:
Someone took leftover Papa John's pizza to the most recent local vegan meet-up here. Luckily, I only saw this on FB.

I've probably mentioned this before, but my current and recurrent vegan pet peeve is the raw thing. We went to a vegan faire yesterday, and every other stall was raw something or other. And most of the stuff in the goodie bags was raw. I have nothing against anyone who wants to eat raw food, but I'm allergic or sensitive to the 3 biggest ingredients in raw food, so effectively half of the faire was off limits to me (including all of the chocolate stalls because they were all raw chocolate). At least the ice cream turned out to be actual (vegan) ice cream and not some blended frozen fruit bullshiitake.

Wait, what? Was the Papa John's for everyone, or did the people bring it for themselves because they didn't want to eat the potluck food? Either way, super weird.

Agreed on the raw food bullshiitake.

Torque, I like the Potluck Wars idea. There are probably lots of cool local vegans I'll never meet because I hate the vegan group. I want to bring them into our fold instead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:33 pm 
Offline
Who's Ted Leo?
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 7151
Location: Modesto, CA
Quail wrote:
I guess this is more of an ocd pet peeve, but I really don't like eating when I'm staying in a meat-eating household because I'm constantly obsessed with contamination so I have to wash everything and I'm concerned about touching things. Even if they're vegan friendly and make vegan food for me I worry about stuff not being cleaned properly so I can't enjoy my food.



i have the same fear. i also cannot watch people make my food in case they touch it wrong or something, then i cannot eat it without fear.

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:37 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 4001
Location: Edinburgh
ashley wrote:
Wait, what? Was the Papa John's for everyone, or did the people bring it for themselves because they didn't want to eat the potluck food? Either way, super weird.

Someone had ordered Papa John's for themselves and brought their leftovers to the potluck the next day (or maybe a couple days later) to share with everyone else.

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:39 pm 
Offline
Angrily Posting on Facebook
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3189
Location: Sacramento
That's worse than not bringing anything at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:27 am 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:28 am
Posts: 206
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bringing the leftover pizza to a potluck has got to be one of the tackiest things I have ever heard of. You have got to have some balls to do that.

As far a other people preparing my food, I HATE it. It's both an OCD fear of "germs" as well as cross contamination with non-vegan ingredients. I very rarely eat out (usually when I am traveling and have no other options). I also very rarely eat anything then someone other then me prepared. A few close relatives I will eat at that are familiar with what vegan is and that's it. I don't even like to eat something my husband cooks as I fear maybe he hasn't kept everything as "clean" as I would have. I'm weird like that. It works out well for him since I do all the cooking here and he gets to eat it all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:15 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt

Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 1154
Location: Yorkshire, UK
choirqueer wrote:
I'm in a really awkward situation right now where I wish I could just turn off the part of me that feels compelled to be a vegan and stop caring. I hate that I feel like that and it's making me feel like a really shitty person. I mean, I've been vegan for over a decade, I'm not really going to stop being vegan or anything like that. I just wish that I could turn it off sometimes. I feel like such a crasshole for even thinking that but it's just so exhausting sometimes to care about animals so much that it interferes with my ability to do other things that I want to do in my life.

Hugs CQ.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:00 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3659
Location: Nashville, TN
Vegetarian for four and a half years and vegan for the majority of that. Still got a phone call from my dad telling me to come eat some BBQ this weekend.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:14 pm 
Offline
TOTALLY CRADICAL
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am
Posts: 4128
Location: Smugville, CA
brontrent wrote:
Bringing the leftover pizza to a potluck has got to be one of the tackiest things I have ever heard of. You have got to have some balls to do that.


This!!! It's pretty rude to bring what I'm assuming was a non-vegan pizza to a vegan potluck- I mean, I can understand honest mistakes but dairy cheese/Papa John's is pretty clearly not vegan. But bringing your leftovers, vegan or not, is just an out-and-out Marxist utopia! In that it HAS NO CLASS.

_________________
Crazy rating: Double plus crazytown bananapants ~Jordanpattern
"It's, you know, your typical Portland restaurant; bowls." ~Kittee
Sews Before Bros


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:02 pm 
Offline
Who's Ted Leo?
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 7151
Location: Modesto, CA
i once had a vegan potluck/meal thing. i asked people to bring me pantry items (like olive oil) since the food was already made and i had everything for sides, just help me replenish my staples. this person who brought mashed potatoes to an Italian pot luck event brought me non-vegan jelly beans and a friend she just showed up with...she then bitched it was not a 'real potluck'....i was trying to avoid her mashed potatoes or whatever else she had planned.

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:55 pm 
Offline
Who's Ted Leo?
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 7151
Location: Modesto, CA
um, saw this gem while looking for vegan options near the TCM specialist I see:

"I'm a strict vegan but when i want to eat cows I come here. I have people from LA telling me that this place is one of the best burger places they ever had in their entire life."

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:09 pm 
Offline
Chip Strong
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:56 pm
Posts: 983
Location: Baltimore
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
brontrent wrote:
Bringing the leftover pizza to a potluck has got to be one of the tackiest things I have ever heard of. You have got to have some balls to do that.


This!!! It's pretty rude to bring what I'm assuming was a non-vegan pizza to a vegan potluck- I mean, I can understand honest mistakes but dairy cheese/Papa John's is pretty clearly not vegan. But bringing your leftovers, vegan or not, is just an out-and-out Marxist utopia! In that it HAS NO CLASS.


Actually, I'm pretty sure that Papa John's is vegan as long as you order it without cheese. Still, that doesn't change the fact that bringing your leftovers to a potluck is reaching new levels of rudeness and weirdness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:12 am 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3746
Location: Bella Napoli
Peeve: when you think a brand is all vegan and then discover an exception and have to go back and double check everything else. There's this great brand of soy products I've been discovering here (Valsoia), with notella, soygurt, soy milk, ice cream, etc.. and then I discovered their frozen fake meat/cutlet products have egg. Sigh.

Oh, and there's another brand that has a line of "senza latte e senza uova" (dairy and egg free) products, Misura, that has croissants filled with apricot and chocolate. They also make chocolate chip cookies and biscuits in this line that I've found, but those have honey.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:07 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3659
Location: Nashville, TN
missmuffcake wrote:
i once had a vegan potluck/meal thing. i asked people to bring me pantry items (like olive oil) since the food was already made and i had everything for sides, just help me replenish my staples. this person who brought mashed potatoes to an Italian pot luck event brought me non-vegan jelly beans and a friend she just showed up with...she then bitched it was not a 'real potluck'....i was trying to avoid her mashed potatoes or whatever else she had planned.


Well, the whole point of a potluck is to have people bring dishes. That just sounds more like a dinner party? The jelly bean thing is weird though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:25 am 
Offline
Who's Ted Leo?
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 7151
Location: Modesto, CA
creep wrote:

Well, the whole point of a potluck is to have people bring dishes. That just sounds more like a dinner party? The jelly bean thing is weird though.



that is why i said it was a potluck/meal thing. i did ask for people to bring stuff, to replenish my pantry or chips (for the chili)...or something. it was rather small, i made chili and cornbread and had drinks. it was an hour long lunch too boot. i only 3 people from the veg group show up (we had actors over too). the older couple who we did not care for brought a $20 grocery gift card and their opinion on why we should not have a wooden fence (we basically got a house inspection). then there was the jelly bean queen...

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 433, 434, 435, 436, 437, 438, 439 ... 536  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: takecare and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer