| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12778 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 443, 444, 445, 446, 447, 448, 449 ... 512  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:39 am 
Nailed to the V

mrsbadmouth wrote:

I do this too, it works well when people are being racist. Make them explain their stupid jokes and then they start to realize that they're idiots. Usually.

I do that! If you're going to say something super shitty, I'm going to make you own it.

There's one of those "ducks crossing" signs for some reason hung in the maintenance area at work, and one of the guys took the time to put red paint on the ducks' heads to simulate a gunshot wound with blood dripping out of it. How is that cute or funny??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:09 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

the recent chopped had a vegan-paleo-gluten free chef to celebs...she annoyed me. i hate not liking a vegan on a show but her first plate had a smear of bean stuff that like looked like poo tracks...then her constant excuses...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:39 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

^Ugh, I saw that one too, and she was the absolute worst.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:50 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

corduroy wrote:
I would love to have some kind of response ready for those annoying jokes, other than the awkward silence which is my go-to. My dad, who's been mostly supportive of my veganism for years (and even dabbles in veganism himself sometimes) still occasionally makes a crack about how "God made animals out of delicious meat" or whatever. He's not serious, he just actually thinks it's a funny joke. My dad may be a hopeless case but how do I shut down people who think they're being funny without being a jerkwad? I'd love to be able to handle those situations more gracefully...

My standard response to this is, "god made humans out of meat... longpig, mmmmmm... the other white meat". Tends to creep people out a little bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

missmuffcake wrote:
the recent chopped had a vegan-paleo-gluten free chef to celebs...she annoyed me. i hate not liking a vegan on a show but her first plate had a smear of bean stuff that like looked like poo tracks...then her constant excuses...

yeah but she cured her lyme disease and carbon monoxide poisoning with avocados!!!! (ugh i hated her too)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:57 pm 
Grandfathered In

People have been curing carbon monoxide poisoning with avocados for thousands of years. There must be something to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:27 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I wish people could just tell me what they want me to do about my veganness. Like I get it, I can't eat at a lot of restaurants. It's Louisiana, there's a seafood restaurant at every corner and fork, they're probably all delicious - if you eat seafood. So when it's someone's birthday and they want to eat at Fancy 5 Menu Item Seafood Grill and there's literally nothing on the menu I can eat, do they want me to just not go? I'll do it. Do they want me to go and get the plain side salad and then everyone looks at me awkwardly when they get their huge delicious entrees and I just have my lettuce? I'll do it. Just tell me what you want, because it feels lose-lose from here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:38 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

FootFace wrote:
People have been curing carbon monoxide poisoning with avocados for thousands of years. There must be something to it.

Well I eat a good amount of avocados and I've never gotten carbon monoxide poisoning so there you have it. PROOF

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:11 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

LisaPunk wrote:
FootFace wrote:
Well I eat a good amount of avocados and I've never gotten carbon monoxide poisoning so there you have it. PROOF
That right there is just logic, right?

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:29 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Desdemona wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
FootFace wrote:
That right there is just logic, right?

i believe that's actual call scientific method!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:51 pm 
Grandfathered In

Fee wrote:
I wish people could just tell me what they want me to do about my veganness. Like I get it, I can't eat at a lot of restaurants. It's Louisiana, there's a seafood restaurant at every corner and fork, they're probably all delicious - if you eat seafood. So when it's someone's birthday and they want to eat at Fancy 5 Menu Item Seafood Grill and there's literally nothing on the menu I can eat, do they want me to just not go? I'll do it. Do they want me to go and get the plain side salad and then everyone looks at me awkwardly when they get their huge delicious entrees and I just have my lettuce? I'll do it. Just tell me what you want, because it feels lose-lose from here.

You already know what they want you to do: stop being vegan and inconveniencing them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:39 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Fee wrote:

Here's what you do. Find out which fancy-shmancy place you'll be going to. About 20 minute before arriving, order a pizza to be delivered to you. Make sure to leave your name with the hostess, of course, so they'll know which table to deliver the pizza to. Done and done.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:00 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

So I've posted before about my homesteader friend, who's extremely cool in many ways, but the whole "raising chickens so I can eat them and goats so we can milk them" thing bums me out. When she posts about that stuff on her blog or FB I usually just hit "hide" and move on, although I did leave a sad face in response to one gleefully brutal status (which I'll spare you).

Anyway, today's update read as follows:
Quote:
Gee, thanks, universe. I really wanted to come home from work to launch an all-out search for one of my last two full-grown chickens and find that the fox had her for a late lunch. This means war...
I didn't say anything, but found this particularly irksome because the objection wasn't that the chicken had become a "late lunch," but that "the fox had her." The use of "her" and the misplaced distress - lamenting the loss of her chicken, as opposed to the chicken's loss of her life - really bothered me. Taken along with comments like "I sense a nice new fur hat in your future..." and "I've been meaning to find out how accurate my flintlock is..." (ellipses in the originals; what is with some people and their ellipsis abuse?), the whole thing struck a really unpleasant note. I didn't respond because there would be no point and I'm not in the mood to engage with a bunch of wannabe Paul Bunyans about the cognitive dissonance between naming, feeding, and raising animals, and then getting upset when they're killed and eaten by other animals, when the sole reason you "care" for them is so you can kill and eat them. GAAAH.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:55 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Strange intersection of life and work:
editing menus for an Unnamed Upcoming Sports Event:
there are vegan options! Yay!!
Several have chicken in them!! what the fork!!

[work related peeve: my editor/direct client says not our problem. i composed a kind but firm letter to the end client trying to help them get their ideas straight. i hope they get it and fix it. if you are traveling to my country for an Upcoming Sports Event and order food at a VIP event at the actual venue, check the ingredients with your server, and please tell them you are deathly allergic to everything. the one thing this company seems to care about is allergies]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:46 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I hate getting asked why I'm vegan while I'm eating with omnis. I know this time it was just because they were curious and it was totally good natured, but dang. I don't know how to say "because I think killing and using animals is wrong" politely as they eat pepperoni pizza.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm going to a BBQ next week that's supposed to have around 100 people attending. I've already seen some vegetarian jokes on the event page, along with an image of a small alligator stuffed with bacon on a grill (I had to hide the photo). I'm going to assume nothing will be vegan since so far it seems like MEAT MEAT MEAT is on their mind. I'm going to bring my own food and be that weirdo, hoping no one asks me any questions or makes things awkward. It's hard because 100 people is way too much for me and the fact that it centers around food only makes me feel worse.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

couroupita wrote:
I hate getting asked why I'm vegan while I'm eating with omnis. I know this time it was just because they were curious and it was totally good natured, but dang. I don't know how to say "because I think killing and using animals is wrong" politely as they eat pepperoni pizza.

I usually smile and say "oh, just all the usual reasons I guess" and then change the subject. Seems to do the trick.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:16 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I'm going to a BBQ next week that's supposed to have around 100 people attending. I've already seen some vegetarian jokes on the event page, along with an image of a small alligator stuffed with bacon on a grill (I had to hide the photo). I'm going to assume nothing will be vegan since so far it seems like MEAT MEAT MEAT is on their mind. I'm going to bring my own food and be that weirdo, hoping no one asks me any questions or makes things awkward. It's hard because 100 people is way too much for me and the fact that it centers around food only makes me feel worse.

The thing is, if you invite 100 people, 5-10 of them will be vegetarian. It's not like it's a surprise these days.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

We're having an event at my work and I'm dreading the conversation about why the veggie dogs won't go in the same crockpot as the meat-dogs. I know that there WILL be a conversation about it. Urrgggh.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:35 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

mollyjade wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

The thing is, if you invite 100 people, 5-10 of them will be vegetarian. It's not like it's a surprise these days.

You're right. MS, if you feel up to it you could post on the event wall, "I know there have been some vegetarian jokes, but I wanted to know if any other veg*ns are attending so we can each maybe bring some veggie dogs or hummus or something?"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:59 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Fundraiser dinners for animal rescue groups that don't include a veg*n option of any kind. Disconnect at its finest.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:00 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

One of my friends posted a picture on fb of her kid petting a live lobster in their kitchen. The caption was about how cute it was that her kid befriended the lobster, and how she had to wait until kid wasn't looking to throw the lobster in the pot and kill it. I just don't know how you can go from "It's so cute! They're friends!" to "Okay, time to kill one of the friends now."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:59 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

i hate when you contact a company to see if their product is vegan, it is not but they try to sell you on the non-vegan ingredient like farm-fresh, mountain air, hormone free or whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:20 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Fee wrote:

Well, I know youre too nice to just opt out if its some gross salad only option.

So I'm thinking. Awesome foods --> Tupperware --> Purse --> Restaurant Table --> "what? "looks at everyone --> eat yummy food

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

couroupita wrote:

I actually straight out refuse to answer these days. I say something like "I love that you are interested in my veganism, but I have a personal policy not to discuss this at the table. Ask me again when we're done eating, ok?" The ones who do ask again are typically genuinely interested. I don't think I'm losing much by not humoring those who just want to joke about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12778 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 443, 444, 445, 446, 447, 448, 449 ... 512  Next