| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 444, 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450 ... 505  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:28 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
couroupita wrote:
I hate getting asked why I'm vegan while I'm eating with omnis. I know this time it was just because they were curious and it was totally good natured, but dang. I don't know how to say "because I think killing and using animals is wrong" politely as they eat pepperoni pizza.

I get asked so often since I travel so much for work and eat with varying co workers constantly and getting vegan food is always a forking pain still, that I just tell the truth. If they want to ask I am going to tell them. It always starts some form of group conversation where I only respond to questions. Oftentimes people seem to admire what I do over be averse to it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:45 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

aelle wrote:
couroupita wrote:
I hate getting asked why I'm vegan while I'm eating with omnis. I know this time it was just because they were curious and it was totally good natured, but dang. I don't know how to say "because I think killing and using animals is wrong" politely as they eat pepperoni pizza.

I actually straight out refuse to answer these days. I say something like "I love that you are interested in my veganism, but I have a personal policy not to discuss this at the table. Ask me again when we're done eating, ok?" The ones who do ask again are typically genuinely interested. I don't think I'm losing much by not humoring those who just want to joke about it.

I'm militant - I tell them exactly why - they did ask, and deserve an honest answer. My stock answer is 'I work hard to not create any more suffering in the world than I can easily avoid, and refusing to buy into the inhumane raising and slaughtering of non-human animals is a win-win - at least for me. And I'm healthier for it, as a by-product. Ask the AMA and the American Dietetic Association.' They all think you're weird to begin with, so nothing you say is going to make them think worse of you, so I see it as another win-win. The qualifying 'at least for me' helps. But I also let people know that anytime they eat a vegan meal is a good thing - they can contribute too without going all the way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:28 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

so this is my boyfriend's pp, but it angers me....

it was ice cream day at work, they got cold stone, the boyfriend did not know it was cold stone and i sent him a list of the vegan sorbet options. his work got sorbet but since his name was not on the sorbet list he was not allowed any...what the fizzle??? his coworker brought him back some oreos from the mix in bar they had set up, but it was no sorbet. the one time his work had something he could enjoy he was denied.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:07 am 
Not NOT A Furry

^^^^ i work in the food industry and i swear i do not get as many food-eating-at-work opportunities as your bf does. still, as much practice as you'd think they have at it, it's amazing how they seem to fork it up every time.

re: what to say to omnis who ask about your veganism. when asked, i usually say, "for moral and environmental reasons." i once said that at a table sitting next to an environmental biologist who was doing a lot of work in environmental conservation; he was eating a big seafood platter and it felt awkward. also, i was at sort of a business lunch just last week and after i made my order, our host asked if i was vegan which i was surprised by bc people seldom notice. he thought it was cool and mentioned some of his colleagues who've used veganism as a successful dieting strategy to which i replied that there's plenty of unhealthy vegan food out there too and it's kinda all about the choices you make. so, i guess no one can really win in the vegan-comment realm UNLESS maybe they were like, "omg you're vegan?! what i great idea! i'm gonna do that too!", but even then i'd probably be like, "psh, poser!"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:28 am 
Flounceiad 2011

GAAAH. Typical masturbatory navel-gazing in the guise of "thinking," because writing a few thousand words about how impossible it would be not to eat meat is so much simpler than just...not eating meat. I feel exhausted just thinking about the elaborate emotional, psychological, and rhetorical gymnastics some people enact rather than simply forego a damned cheeseburger. Not being vegan just seems like way too much work to me!

http://itself.wordpress.com/2014/06/02/ ... egetarian/
Quote:
Yes, factory farming is an abomination. If there were laws proposing to outlaw it, I would support those laws, regardless of their effect on the cost or availability of meat. In the meantime, I purchase organic meat when possible. Yet I just don’t have it in me to make a big deal out of it or insist on it, just like I don’t have it in me to move heaven and earth to make sure my garbage is recycled.
Read: "the rest of the time I just eat factory farmed meat because I can't be arsed to actually give a sh*t or even ask a question." And OH MY GOD RECYCLING IS SO HARD YOU GUYS! It's like moving heaven and earth! In fact, I'm actually not even sure it's a real thing!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Last edited by Desdemona on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:32 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I didn't have anything else to do yesterday evening, so I drove 40 minutes to the nearest TCBY to get the vegan froyo. They stopped carrying it!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:52 am 
Nooch of Earl

Desdemona wrote:
Not being vegan just seems like way too much work to me!

I get hung up on all the food safety and prep stuff. I mean, you have to not taste it until it's cooked through, you have to be careful about handling it, it's kind of disgusting to handle pre-cooking, and I just have no idea how to cook meat.

If I were a meateater I think I'd probably live exclusively on precooked chicken pouches and TV dinners, because everything else seems so daunting and hard to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:46 am 
Grandfathered In

Desdemona wrote:
GAAAH. Typical masturbatory navel-gazing in the guise of "thinking," because writing a few thousand words about how impossible it would be not to eat meat is so much simpler than just...not eating meat. I feel exhausted just thinking about the elaborate emotional, psychological, and rhetorical gymnastics some people enact rather than simply forego a damned cheeseburger. Not being vegan just seems like way too much work to me!

Quote:
Yes, factory farming is an abomination. If there were laws proposing to outlaw it, I would support those laws, regardless of their effect on the cost or availability of meat. In the meantime, I purchase organic meat when possible. Yet I just don’t have it in me to make a big deal out of it or insist on it, just like I don’t have it in me to move heaven and earth to make sure my garbage is recycled.
Read: "the rest of the time I just eat factory farmed meat because I can't be arsed to actually give a sh*t or even ask a question." And OH MY GOD RECYCLING IS SO HARD YOU GUYS! It's like moving heaven and earth! In fact, I'm actually not even sure it's a real thing!

Yes, yes. Tell me about this thing that's so bad you wish it was illegal, which you still support. Oh, to live with such courage and passion.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:58 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

anyone watching the childish drama being played out with the two sides of veg news magazine? it is embarrassing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:59 am 
Flounceiad 2011

FootFace wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

Quote:

Yes, yes. Tell me about this thing that's so bad you wish it was illegal, which you still support. Oh, to live with such courage and passion.
I know, right? He's clearly thought this through very carefully, and you have to admire his commitment to doing absolutely nothing!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:07 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Desdemona wrote:
GAAAH. Typical masturbatory navel-gazing in the guise of "thinking,"
<snipped>

D, is this someone well-known? There is no way I am going to go to the blog and read that crepe.

I understand it's different from what most people know but I don't understand why so many people think it is so hard to be vegan, except for eating out with omnis.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:17 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Arisaig wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
GAAAH. Typical masturbatory navel-gazing in the guise of "thinking,"
<snipped>

D, is this someone well-known? There is no way I am going to go to the blog and read that crepe.

I understand it's different from what most people know but I don't understand why so many people think it is so hard to be vegan, except for eating out with omnis.
I don't know much about the author (besides the fact that he seems like a douche); apparently he's a political theology guy. The post was linked to from my friend's blog, Critical Animal, because he was semi-responding to it.

http://criticalanimal.blogspot.com/2014 ... ation.html

Last edited by Desdemona on Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:19 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

There's a supposedly awesome doughnut place in my general area that makes vegan doughnuts but only one kind and only on Saturdays, and I'm not going to make a special trip (especially when you KNOW that shiitake will sell out in 5 min!). They have a booth at a farmers' market I go to every Monday, so I told them that if they brought vegan doughnuts to the farmers' market I would buy them every week. They weren't interested. Today at work we had a big meeting with special doughnuts made just for our company by this place. Everyone was raving about them and I was just annoyed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:37 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

zelavie wrote:
Fee wrote:
I wish people could just tell me what they want me to do about my veganness. Like I get it, I can't eat at a lot of restaurants. It's Louisiana, there's a seafood restaurant at every corner and fork, they're probably all delicious - if you eat seafood. So when it's someone's birthday and they want to eat at Fancy 5 Menu Item Seafood Grill and there's literally nothing on the menu I can eat, do they want me to just not go? I'll do it. Do they want me to go and get the plain side salad and then everyone looks at me awkwardly when they get their huge delicious entrees and I just have my lettuce? I'll do it. Just tell me what you want, because it feels lose-lose from here.

Here's what you do. Find out which fancy-shmancy place you'll be going to. About 20 minute before arriving, order a pizza to be delivered to you. Make sure to leave your name with the hostess, of course, so they'll know which table to deliver the pizza to. Done and done.

Genius idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:46 am 
WELFARIST!

Desdemona wrote:
FootFace wrote:
I know, right? He's clearly thought this through very carefully, and you have to admire his commitment to doing absolutely nothing!

<3 <3 <3 You guys made me LOL for realz.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:57 am 
WELFARIST!

Adam Crisis wrote:
couroupita wrote:

I get asked so often since I travel so much for work and eat with varying co workers constantly and getting vegan food is always a forking pain still, that I just tell the truth. If they want to ask I am going to tell them. It always starts some form of group conversation where I only respond to questions. Oftentimes people seem to admire what I do over be averse to it.

I remember one time I was at a table and most folks thought I was vegetarian and so were discussing that and the girl sitting beside me (who I'd just met) said being a vegetarian was all right but VEGANS were idiots because they're risking their health for some ethical stance when the whole world eats meat and how she went vegetarian once and then broke down and got a hamburger and so much for THAT and my brother in law was all--"but she's vegan," pointing to me and I just said: "I don't even know to respond to what you just said, but my health is perfect and I've been vegan for six years." (it was six years of veganism at the time for me--and I am blessed with pretty excellent health--not hurt at all by veganism--in fact I'm pretty sure it helped me). Anyway, that was probably the most potentially contentious vegan table discussion I've ever had though and as you can see, it wasn't much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:08 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

seitanicverses wrote:
"I don't even know to respond to what you just said, but my health is perfect and I've been vegan for six years."

I think that was the perfect way to respond to that situation!

I had a friend who was going on and on about some mutual friends we had who moved to Portland and went vegan and now they were crazy, everyone one who goes vegan is just crazy and antisocial and there's something wrong with their brains and they don't get enough protein and I was only vegetarian and not a crazy vegan, right?

I just said, Actually, I'm a vegan and I'm okay.

I felt like a badly acted after school special! Free to vegan you and me!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:19 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

madeleine.teacup wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
"I don't even know to respond to what you just said, but my health is perfect and I've been vegan for six years."

I think that was the perfect way to respond to that situation!

I had a friend who was going on and on about some mutual friends we had who moved to Portland and went vegan and now they were crazy, everyone one who goes vegan is just crazy and antisocial and there's something wrong with their brains and they don't get enough protein and I was only vegetarian and not a crazy vegan, right?

I just said, Actually, I'm a vegan and I'm okay.

I felt like a badly acted after school special! Free to vegan you and me!
"What do you do when your bright, lovable, talented kid turns into a vegan overnight?"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:23 pm 
Grandfathered In

NOT MY KID.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:57 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

allularpunk wrote:
I didn't have anything else to do yesterday evening, so I drove 40 minutes to the nearest TCBY to get the vegan froyo. They stopped carrying it!

I am out of town for business, and i h append to be in a mall that had a TCBY! Finally! None anywhere near where i live.

it was close to closing and they had put it away, but they got it out for me and put oreos on it. Yay!

Well...more like meh. it was not very good :(

maybe the soft serve is better?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Chicki wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

I am out of town for business, and i h append to be in a mall that had a TCBY! Finally! None anywhere near where i live.

it was close to closing and they had put it away, but they got it out for me and put oreos on it. Yay!

I'm confused - what did you have of not soft serve?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:42 pm 
WELFARIST!

Dave the Cat wrote:
There's a supposedly awesome doughnut place in my general area that makes vegan doughnuts but only one kind and only on Saturdays, and I'm not going to make a special trip (especially when you KNOW that shiitake will sell out in 5 min!). They have a booth at a farmers' market I go to every Monday, so I told them that if they brought vegan doughnuts to the farmers' market I would buy them every week. They weren't interested. Today at work we had a big meeting with special doughnuts made just for our company by this place. Everyone was raving about them and I was just annoyed.

What is the place called?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:52 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

blondiefk wrote:
Chicki wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

I'm confused - what did you have of not soft serve?

it was the almond milk ice cream. it was in a tub like the rest of the dairy ice cream. Definitely tasted like a blah non-dairy ice cream.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:56 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

that's weird! i didn't even know they had regular ice cream. i thought they only had soft serve.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think they must have given you the soft serve out of a tub because it was already put away. They don't have regular almond milk ice cream (or other ice cream AFAIK). You said they had already put it away - they probably had cleaned the machine so didn't want to dirty it again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 444, 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450 ... 505  Next