| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450, 451 ... 531  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:47 pm 
WELFARIST!

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Dave the Cat wrote:
There's a supposedly awesome doughnut place in my general area that makes vegan doughnuts but only one kind and only on Saturdays, and I'm not going to make a special trip (especially when you KNOW that shiitake will sell out in 5 min!). They have a booth at a farmers' market I go to every Monday, so I told them that if they brought vegan doughnuts to the farmers' market I would buy them every week. They weren't interested. Today at work we had a big meeting with special doughnuts made just for our company by this place. Everyone was raving about them and I was just annoyed.

What is the place called?

Weird, I could have sworn I edited this to say that I already found out what place it was....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:18 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

missmuffcake wrote:
so this is my boyfriend's pp, but it angers me....

it was ice cream day at work, they got cold stone, the boyfriend did not know it was cold stone and i sent him a list of the vegan sorbet options. his work got sorbet but since his name was not on the sorbet list he was not allowed any...what the fizzle??? his coworker brought him back some oreos from the mix in bar they had set up, but it was no sorbet. the one time his work had something he could enjoy he was denied.

I totally received an email today with an invite to ice cream day at work. Pretty sure it is cold stone too. I always declined it in the past but I didn't know about vegan sorbet. Thanks for posting this! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:37 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

A coworker asked where I buy food since I eat 'all natural'. I live in a fairly small town without a ton of vegan options, but it's certainly not hopeless. So I assumed he meant junk food, candy bars, that sort of thing. I responded that I am not too picky(or healthy), as long as its vegan I will generally eat it. Then he went on to say that anytime he sees 'all natural' things for sale they are very expensive. So, if not junk food or you know, vegetables, what the hell is 'all natural'?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:50 pm 
Dead by dawn

My vegan pet peeve of the day is that I was 1 block from a TCBY and meant to go after my appointment, but I forgot until I was on the freeway, well on my way home.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:34 pm 
Chip Strong

My pet peeve is the coconut invasion. Which would be fine, because lots of people like coconut, even if I don't. What bothers me is that in all the local shops it's been done to the exclusion of all things soy, rice or almond. So, now there's no ice cream or yogurt for me :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:37 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Got my first proper hit of the vegan tax yesterday. Paid the same as everyone else for a brunch, but while they got pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausages etc, I got... None of those things. Bread, fruit, jam, baked beans (from a can). They had put out oat yoghurt, soy milk, and when I asked for it someone got some non-dairy marg for my bread. It would have been nice to get something hot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:25 am 
Nailed to the V

I KNOW, bisqueing about FB arguments is really stupid, but so help me gawd if one more person defends factory farming while accusing vegans of not caring about the suffering of slaughterhouse workers my head is going to explode. One of the reasons I went vegan was the fact that domestic violence, suicide, depression and other mental health issues, and addiction skyrockets in towns where slaughterhouses are the only available employment. I don't believe veganism is a panacea, and I'm aware that the people who pick my kale are not treated well either, but you can't tell me that supporting a slaughterhouse economy is the more ethical choice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:49 am 
Saggy Butt

I know how you feel. I try to stay out of arguments on places like FB and YT, to preserve my own sanity, but when you see a really harmful and ridiculous argument its hard to walk away and leave it unchallenged. Even if there's no chance of convincing the person you're arguing with, I always figure at least others reading it might get something out of the vegan point of view. Of course the trade off is that by the end of the day you'll lose faith in humanity and feel like bludgeoning people with cookbooks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:55 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Dave the Cat wrote:
There's a supposedly awesome doughnut place in my general area that makes vegan doughnuts but only one kind and only on Saturdays, and I'm not going to make a special trip (especially when you KNOW that shiitake will sell out in 5 min!). They have a booth at a farmers' market I go to every Monday, so I told them that if they brought vegan doughnuts to the farmers' market I would buy them every week. They weren't interested. Today at work we had a big meeting with special doughnuts made just for our company by this place. Everyone was raving about them and I was just annoyed.

What is the place called?

Weird, I could have sworn I edited this to say that I already found out what place it was....

It's Union Square Doughnuts. (in Union Square!)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:47 am 
Seagull of the PPK

the horrible things on FB are really starting to get to me. i have a nice core of vegan FB people who don't post horrid things, and i weeded out the local vegan people who post horrid things.
now my non-vegan friends start posting animal cruelty stuff. i mean, i'm glad they are developing awareness, but there are some things i really, really don't want to see.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:33 am 
WELFARIST!

blondiefk wrote:
I think they must have given you the soft serve out of a tub because it was already put away. They don't have regular almond milk ice cream (or other ice cream AFAIK). You said they had already put it away - they probably had cleaned the machine so didn't want to dirty it again.

The TCBY I was at had soft serve and tubs of ice cream, so it seems that some have both. This one didn't have any nondairy items, though.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:45 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I was at my school's faculty club because I was introducing my adviser for his teaching awards last night. And the vegan dinner was... romaine salad with oil and vinegar and 5 cherry tomatoes; a roasted stack of three eggplant slices and a tomato with some artistically presented green puree and about 1/4 cup of wilted arugula; and a bowl of flavorless berries (what the fizzle? we're in southern california it's difficult not to find good berries!)

It was actually delicious except for dessert, but come on guys you're a fancy dining establishment! That isn't dinner!

Also, second pet peeve: forking California Chrome on both TVs at the gym this morning simultaneously. He looks like a sweetheart, but get your horse abuse away from my workout please. Bonus points for going to commercial with an ad about sea world.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:11 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

GRRRR. Why post on my picture of my lovely new cookbook anything snarky about being vegan. Leave that shiitake on your own pictures.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:56 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

instagram photo that was labeled #vegan....it was lamb....um?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:18 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

It always makes me kind of sad when I see someone who used to be veg*n post something on facebook which suggests they no longer are.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:51 pm 
Nailed to the V

Selling at an event today, someone said that Earth Balance is "crepe. I call it crepe because it's FAKE." I just can't imagine going to a seller, looking at their ingredients, and saying "Butter is PUS. I call it PUS because it's PUS." Holy beans, people can be weird.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:08 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Quail wrote:
It always makes me kind of sad when I see someone who used to be veg*n post something on facebook which suggests they no longer are.

I'm sorry! Some of us make it back from the darkness.

I hate it when I read a workout book and the author says "I used to be vegan," and then goes on to insult vegans. On the bright side it made me mad enough that I finally got off my selfish, hypocritical asparagus and became vegan again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:30 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

allularpunk wrote:
I didn't have anything else to do yesterday evening, so I drove 40 minutes to the nearest TCBY to get the vegan froyo. They stopped carrying it!

This sounds familiar. I just heard about Tutti Frutti having vegan froyo (I know, it's very old news), so my husband and I walked to the one a mile from our house this evening. No soy-based products at all. The owner said they will get it "next week" but only in plain vanilla flavor. I don't believe her. It just shouldn't be this hard to have options.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:34 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

SassyOh wrote:
Selling at an event today, someone said that Earth Balance is "crepe. I call it crepe because it's FAKE." I just can't imagine going to a seller, looking at their ingredients, and saying "Butter is PUS. I call it PUS because it's PUS." Holy beans, people can be weird.

Okay, that made me laugh. I really, really want to see that second interaction happen.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:19 am 
Nailed to the V

zelavie wrote:
SassyOh wrote:

Okay, that made me laugh. I really, really want to see that second interaction happen.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll be pushed to my limit!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:57 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The upstairs neighbour with the out-of-control dog she never walks and leaves unsupervised in the garden now has a brand new puppy. Excuse me whilst I wonder how the fork this kind of thing is allowed?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:12 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

When you know I get anxious about contamination, it is NOT okay to use my pan to cook something with meat in it and justify it to yourself with "what she doesn't know can't hurt her."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:24 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

costco demo lady when asked if the protein powder was vegan: "it's organicccccc"....shut up!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:05 pm 
Saggy Butt

Quail wrote:
When you know I get anxious about contamination, it is NOT okay to use my pan to cook something with meat in it and justify it to yourself with "what she doesn't know can't hurt her."

that is HORRIBLE. i'm so upset for you right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:27 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Potato wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
so this is my boyfriend's pp, but it angers me....

it was ice cream day at work, they got cold stone, the boyfriend did not know it was cold stone and i sent him a list of the vegan sorbet options. his work got sorbet but since his name was not on the sorbet list he was not allowed any...what the fizzle??? his coworker brought him back some oreos from the mix in bar they had set up, but it was no sorbet. the one time his work had something he could enjoy he was denied.

I totally received an email today with an invite to ice cream day at work. Pretty sure it is cold stone too. I always declined it in the past but I didn't know about vegan sorbet. Thanks for posting this! :)

Okay so it wasn't cold stone, it is some other ice cream place that sounds similar. I sent an email to the lady that organizes the event asking if there were any options that are vegan. She replied to me today saying no, but she will get something vegan so I can enjoy the event with everyone else. She thanked me for bringing up the concern. She sent out another email to everyone asking if anyone else had any similar dietary concerns because they would accommodate them. Feeling pretty good about sending that email. I usually just declined but now a couple hundred people have access to a vegan option if they need it. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450, 451 ... 531  Next