| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13641 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 546  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:02 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

tinglepants! wrote:
gaia13 wrote:

My pet peeve is people giving unsolicited advice. I was in TJ's the other day and the cashier proceeded to tell me that not only should I not eat the mandarin chickenless nuggets(because the ingredient list was too long), I shouldn't eat anything with corn since it's going to kill me, she didn't know what to eat anymore since cows get corn and corn=bad, and to top everything off, how her friend/coworker decided to raise a calf and slaughter it himself. In great detail. Apparently looking like I was going to puke and saying that's nice, but I've really got to go, I'm in a hurry meant nothing to her.

To be fair, TJ's pretty much requires its employees to talk to customers non-stop. I worked there for a long time, and I know the official policy was that we be friendly and helpful but if we weren't chipper and talking all.the.time. during review period, it could hurt us if the store manager was really by-the-book. I always hated feeling like I had to talk to the customers who clearly wanted to be left alone.

Granted, what the cashier said to you is pretty annoying and ill-informed...but it's also difficult to come up with two - three hours of nonstop conversation topics (and that's how long we were at the register before going to do something else). She was probably awkwardly fishing for something to say, or got stuck in some autopilot loop of weirdness.

This totally makes sense--except I doubt it's store policy to criticize a customer's purchase!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

strawberryrock wrote:
tinglepants! wrote:
gaia13 wrote:

My pet peeve is people giving unsolicited advice. I was in TJ's the other day and the cashier proceeded to tell me that not only should I not eat the mandarin chickenless nuggets(because the ingredient list was too long), I shouldn't eat anything with corn since it's going to kill me, she didn't know what to eat anymore since cows get corn and corn=bad, and to top everything off, how her friend/coworker decided to raise a calf and slaughter it himself. In great detail. Apparently looking like I was going to puke and saying that's nice, but I've really got to go, I'm in a hurry meant nothing to her.

To be fair, TJ's pretty much requires its employees to talk to customers non-stop. I worked there for a long time, and I know the official policy was that we be friendly and helpful but if we weren't chipper and talking all.the.time. during review period, it could hurt us if the store manager was really by-the-book. I always hated feeling like I had to talk to the customers who clearly wanted to be left alone.

Granted, what the cashier said to you is pretty annoying and ill-informed...but it's also difficult to come up with two - three hours of nonstop conversation topics (and that's how long we were at the register before going to do something else). She was probably awkwardly fishing for something to say, or got stuck in some autopilot loop of weirdness.

This totally makes sense--except I doubt it's store policy to criticize a customer's purchase!

No, definitely not store policy! And if anyone had ever said anything like that, they would have received some very gentle feedback in the form of, "would you prefer to work perishables instead of the register?" (I swear the managers have scripts for "nice" forms of feedback--not a bad thing).

While I never criticized anyone's purchases, there were days in which I'd be speaking absolute gibberish by the end of the day because I was just out of ideas for anything else.:)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:50 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

strawberryrock wrote:
tinglepants! wrote:
gaia13 wrote:

This is one of my pet peeves in general, it happens rarely but sometimes cashiers will flip over a package or stare at an item while I scan my card and then give an exaggerated look of disapproval. I don't mind them asking me if a food is good, what i'm doing with X ingredient, or when I had a cashier comment that I must like to cook, but I don't need you to MAKE A FACE at my non-dairy ice cream/tofu/whatevs.

If someone said I shouldn't eat something i'm buying from the store they work at, i'd probably ask if there was another store I should start shopping at instead.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:01 pm 
Naked Under Apron

The TJ's cashier yesterday asked me what I was going to do with romaine. "Are you going to make a salad? A sandwich?" Cracked me up.

And yeah, the bottom third of my kale chips bag is just crumbs. Kind of a bummer, but I'll sprinkle them on something.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:13 pm 
Semen Strong

Amy wrote:
And yeah, the bottom third of my kale chips bag is just crumbs. Kind of a bummer, but I'll sprinkle them on something.

The veganest pet peeve of them all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:12 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Tofulish wrote:
Amy wrote:

The veganest pet peeve of them all.

Haha, I got this thread confused with the TJ's thread where people were talking about the kale chips.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:14 pm 

Amy wrote:
The TJ's cashier yesterday asked me what I was going to do with romaine. "Are you going to make a salad? A sandwich?" Cracked me up.

I shiitake you not, we were borderline-required to mention at least one product from a customer's basket as we were scanning. If you start paying attention, you'll probably notice that almost every time you go through a TJoe's line, you'll hear something like, "have you had this mango sorbet, yet? It's so good", or "if you like the chimichurri, you should try___."

But if anyone at TJ's ever tells anyone you shouldn't eat something in your cart? The best revenge is to say, "wow! you guys are so good at bagging! do they send you to bagging school?"

Problem solved.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:04 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Omnis turning their noses up at something that's clearly soy, like soy crumbles, when they eat soy in every single processed food they are munching down on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:05 pm 
And you never will.

tinglepants! wrote:
But if anyone at TJ's ever tells anyone you shouldn't eat something in your cart? The best revenge is to say, "wow! you guys are so good at bagging! do they send you to bagging school?"

Problem solved.

Okay, I'll bite - why is that the best revenge?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:29 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

tinglepants! wrote:
Amy wrote:

I shiitake you not, we were borderline-required to mention at least one product from a customer's basket as we were scanning. If you start paying attention, you'll probably notice that almost every time you go through a TJoe's line, you'll hear something like, "have you had this mango sorbet, yet? It's so good", or "if you like the chimichurri, you should try___."

Problem solved.

did you work at a weird tj's, or did i? i worked at one for a year when i was in college, and we didn't have to talk to anyone unless someone asked us a question. i'd have gotten canned pretty fast if we'd had policies like yours, because i'm surly as heck after a couple of hours in a small, crowded store, but my managers liked me a lot. and a few customers did offer some very kind and sincere comments about my bagging skillz, which are mad, yo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:36 pm 

acr wrote:

did you work at a weird tj's, or did i? i worked at one for a year when i was in college, and we didn't have to talk to anyone unless someone asked us a question. i'd have gotten canned pretty fast if we'd had policies like yours, because i'm surly as heck after a couple of hours in a small, crowded store, but my managers liked me a lot. and a few customers did offer some very kind and sincere comments about my bagging skillz, which are mad, yo.

I think you worked at the weird one, because I have several friends who are managers and have transferred between several different stores throughout the country.

Poopiebitch--telling someone they're good at bagging is totally a compliment. Appending the compliment with, "do you they send you to school for that?" is annoying because it isn't rocket science. It's just rote.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:43 pm 

And, now, to stop hijacking the thread (sorry!), here's a real pet peeve:

Not being conscious of really common food allergies when it comes to including vegan options on the menu. I mean, if the point is to make sure that everyone can eat there, it might be nice to include one vegan dish without nuts in it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:59 pm 
***LIES!!!***

But at the same time - if there's only one vegan dish (if any), it certainly shouldn't be the one they throw all the food issues to. Vegans generally eat nuts and gluten. I don't want a damn gluten-free, nut-free brownie/cookie/whatever. It was bad enough to just give me a not very good vegan dessert.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:14 am 

Ariann wrote:
But at the same time - if there's only one vegan dish (if any), it certainly shouldn't be the one they throw all the food issues to. Vegans generally eat nuts and gluten. I don't want a damn gluten-free, nut-free brownie/cookie/whatever. It was bad enough to just give me a not very good vegan dessert.

Naturally, this is why I'm just as annoyed when there's only one vegan dish on a menu. C'mon, you can make at least three if you're going to do it at all.

I have no food allergies (almost-Mr-Pants does), but I'd also like the right to be just as picky an eater as omnivores. And boy howdy, am I a picky eater.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:55 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Irresponsible pet ownership.

I'm on this board for expats in Korea, and there's a lot of k-pop fanboys and girls who have pretty unrealistic views of what traveling and living abroad entails (which, whatever, I'm fine with that, some of the best mistakes you can make are travel mistakes). But recently for some reason there's been a lot of questions about buying dogs from Korea. And when I explain the process, costs, risks and responsibilities associated with flying a pet across borders (never mind caring for a dog in regular conditions, or the poor breeding and care standards and why it's a problem to support them), I'm a buzzkill. Who the hell are these people who don't realize that caring for an animal is a different matter than owning an inanimate object?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:25 am 
WRETCHED

karichelle wrote:
Omnis turning their noses up at something that's clearly soy, like soy crumbles, when they eat soy in every single processed food they are munching down on.

I turn my nose up at soy crumbles. I tried some 10 years ago or so, when I wasn't even close to being vegetarian and although I've always been willing to try things, the experience wasn't good and I haven't brought myself to try again. But yes, I know what you mean with someone not even willing to try :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:35 am 
Seagull of the PPK

aelle wrote:
Irresponsible pet ownership.

I'm on this board for expats in Korea....;

oh Lard yes. "i want to bring my four 100kg long-haired dogs to brazil. i don't care how they get there, i need cheap cheap cheap, also i will be traveling when it's 40C and the dogs will have to stay in the customs warehouse for 5-7 days with no food. incidentally, i care more about having those dogs with me than about if they suffer and die from lack of care during said hotbox torture session."
um, rehome those dogs ASAP to someone who has half a brain?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:14 am 
***LIES!!!***

tinglepants! wrote:
Ariann wrote:

Naturally, this is why I'm just as annoyed when there's only one vegan dish on a menu. C'mon, you can make at least three if you're going to do it at all.

I have no food allergies (almost-Mr-Pants does), but I'd also like the right to be just as picky an eater as omnivores. And boy howdy, am I a picky eater.

Haha! This is why it also annoys me when the one vegan dish is mushroom-based. Ew.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:30 am 
Dead by dawn

Ariann wrote:
tinglepants! wrote:
Ariann wrote:

Haha! This is why it also annoys me when the one vegan dish is mushroom-based. Ew.

Oh, that's the worst! Not a fan of the fungus.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:54 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

torque wrote:
my only real vegan peeve- when people drink flavored soymilk and leave it where my plain soymilk is and half-asleep, i put it in my coffee.
my dopey aunt is all big on "soy for hormone replacement" and had this NASTY grape soymilk, put it where mine was and i was too groggy to notice. Grape soymilk in coffee=barf.

grape soymilk? that's a thing?

Pet peeve- no such thing as vegan m&ms :-(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:59 am 
Grandfathered In

Queen Couscous wrote:
torque wrote:
my only real vegan peeve- when people drink flavored soymilk and leave it where my plain soymilk is and half-asleep, i put it in my coffee.
my dopey aunt is all big on "soy for hormone replacement" and had this NASTY grape soymilk, put it where mine was and i was too groggy to notice. Grape soymilk in coffee=barf.

There are Whizzers!

(They're not as good as m&ms, if memory {of m&ms} serves.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:01 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

tinglepants! wrote:
Ariann wrote:

I would like to suggest the name FiancePants.

Also, I tire of people assuming that because I'm vegan I am obsessive about health to the point of eating nothing enjoyable. Yesterday I was in the staff room and a coworker who always comments (in an admiring but strange way) about the healthiness of my food insisted that the bag of plain, raw vegetables on the counter must be mine because it's so healthy. I was eating lasagna at the time...and like four people commented in shock when I was eating potato chips a week or two ago. My god, people!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:44 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

karichelle wrote:

Yes, I have pointed this out to people and they don't believe me.

I have even had people tell me they can't come over because they can't tolerate soy products. Ok. #1 I won't serve soy - like tofu or tempeh (rarely do to omni's anyways) #2 soy is in LOTS of things that you eat. Most processed foods. Read a label sometime.

People are also surprised that tofu/soy comes from beans. They seem to think it is some weird, labratory created, highly prossesed SCARY VEGAN FOOD.

its a bean people. Calm down.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:35 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Chicki wrote:
karichelle wrote:

Yes, I have pointed this out to people and they don't believe me.

I have even had people tell me they can't come over because they can't tolerate soy products. Ok. #1 I won't serve soy - like tofu or tempeh (rarely do to omni's anyways) #2 soy is in LOTS of things that you eat. Most processed foods. Read a label sometime.

People are also surprised that tofu/soy comes from beans. They seem to think it is some weird, labratory created, highly prossesed SCARY VEGAN FOOD.

its a bean people. Calm down.

Exactly. That was my point, more than the specific soy crumbles. Just that people go crazy over OMG-soy-is-the-devil's-spawn when they eat it all.the.time. And they eat it in its most highly processed form, all.the.time. The dairy lobby has done a bang-up job of making people scared of soy. Unfortunately they didn't teach them to read labels.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:02 pm 

Queen Couscous wrote:
torque wrote:

I had a dream last night of an m&m dispenser (like a soda dispenser at 7/11) and being pissed that I couldn't eat them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13641 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 546  Next