| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 508  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:49 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

GymClassZero wrote:
Queen Couscous wrote:
torque wrote:
my only real vegan peeve- when people drink flavored soymilk and leave it where my plain soymilk is and half-asleep, i put it in my coffee.
my dopey aunt is all big on "soy for hormone replacement" and had this NASTY grape soymilk, put it where mine was and i was too groggy to notice. Grape soymilk in coffee=barf.

grape soymilk? that's a thing?

Pet peeve- no such thing as vegan m&ms :-(

I had a dream last night of an m&m dispenser (like a soda dispenser at 7/11) and being pissed that I couldn't eat them.

Incredibly off topic...but I have been trying very hard to lucid dream lately, and one of the first things I am going to do (besides fly) is eat frozen yogurt our of one a yogurt dispenser. (it would be vegan, in my dream of course. and no brain freeze either)

I can actually control dreams enough to fly, (well, float usually) but it goes away rather quickly. I'll try for yogurt tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:55 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

grape soymilk is soooo gross.
to be more accurate, it's fruit juice with soymilk added to it (because Brazilians have a penchant for making fruit juice with milk or water). there's the usual fruit flavors- peach, grape, apple, god knows what else. it's an abomination.
it's sold as a kid's drink. i suppose it beats chocomilk but it's super sugary. Also, eew.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:01 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Chicki wrote:
Incredibly off topic...but I have been trying very hard to lucid dream lately, and one of the first things I am going to do (besides fly) is eat frozen yogurt our of one a yogurt dispenser. (it would be vegan, in my dream of course. and no brain freeze either)

I can actually control dreams enough to fly, (well, float usually) but it goes away rather quickly. I'll try for yogurt tonight.

I fly! I do all sorts of crazy things in my dreams. In one the other night, I jumped off a building and landed on my feet.

Also, my current pet peeve is me. I know I should bring soy or coconut milk to work for coffee and keep it in the cooler, BUT NO, I don't, and drink black coffee, barely withholding tears.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:01 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Having to go to horribly meat centric restaurants and trust that the chef will actually cook something vegan for you. The wedding reception I have to attend tomorrow is in a restaurant that is pretty much just meat & I'm grossed out at the idea of having sneaky animal stock in my food. I used to know a couple of chef's (professionally not as friends!) who would take someones veggie request as an insult & take great amusement in feeding them something that wasn't really veg.

I've spoken to them on the phone twice now and they knew what a vegan was without me having to explain so I guess that's something & I just need to trust them!

My other pet peeve is 5% wool or some other small amount of animal something. I've had to not buy two super pretty pieces of jewellery from my Etsy favourites and put back a dress (after I'd tried it on & fallen in love with it!) because of tiny amounts of wool/silk/confectioners glaze.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:27 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

jojo wrote:
My other pet peeve is 5% wool or some other small amount of animal something. I've had to not buy two super pretty pieces of jewellery from my Etsy favourites and put back a dress (after I'd tried it on & fallen in love with it!) because of tiny amounts of wool/silk/confectioners glaze.

I always thought silk was some form of spun cotton... I had no idea how it was made until I just googled it.... what the fork....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:50 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I don't like the pressure to censor oneself when you have a bad experience with a vegan business. There's a vegan business that I absolutely believe lied to me about something and wouldn't respond to my email and when they finally responded (because I made a comment on their website), they backpedalled with bull shiitake (more lies). I never left a negative review but I saw others had. But worse was that other people responded with things like "you should be supporting a vegan business, they've been good to me" etc etc. So if I have a negative experience, I feel like I can't say anything because people jump on you for potentially damaging a small business blah blah.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:13 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

TurningVioletViolet wrote:
I don't like the pressure to censor oneself when you have a bad experience with a vegan business. There's a vegan business that I absolutely believe lied to me about something and wouldn't respond to my email and when they finally responded (because I made a comment on their website), they backpedalled with bull shiitake (more lies). I never left a negative review but I saw others had. But worse was that other people responded with things like "you should be supporting a vegan business, they've been good to me" etc etc. So if I have a negative experience, I feel like I can't say anything because people jump on you for potentially damaging a small business blah blah.

yeah, I have noticed this as well, it happened a bit with the VegNews "scandal" a while back.

I also get the feeling sometimes, from family in particular, that I should automatically love any vegan option at a restaurant, or vegan restaurant, even if it's crappy, because they have some idea that vegans should be grateful for anything they get. I do feel like this attitude is lessening now with many more vegan options available.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:33 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

j-dub wrote:
Also, I tire of people assuming that because I'm vegan I am obsessive about health to the point of eating nothing enjoyable. Yesterday I was in the staff room and a coworker who always comments (in an admiring but strange way) about the healthiness of my food insisted that the bag of plain, raw vegetables on the counter must be mine because it's so healthy. I was eating lasagna at the time...and like four people commented in shock when I was eating potato chips a week or two ago. My god, people!

Yes, my coworkers are always marvelling at my voracious appetite for potato chips and bread with tapenade. Somehow they do not understand that even though I am vegan, I'll still eat greasy stuff. A lot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:26 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

yeah this has already been discussed in this thread but I kind of hate that veganism has been taken over by health nuts.

I was just reading on this oil-free blog of this crazy extreme guy (who shall remain nameless) where he wrote a post defending how he leaves snarky comments on vegan blogs that feature oily and "unhealthy" food. He claims that it is well within his rights to leave these comments, basically, because it's for their own good and oil could be potentially killing them or some such bullshiitake. I just don't get why he's targeting vegans, in particular. I realize not everyone is vegan just for animal rights reasons, but it seems unfair that just because we eat a diet that is potentially moldable to what some crazy extremists think is the healthiest diet, that we have to hear about how evil oil and fat is all day long.

The super ironic thing about all this, is that I generally don't cook with much oil, if at all, or eat too much fat anyway, because over the years it's a style of eating I've found, personally, that I enjoy. However I have no desire to preach to anyone else what they should eat, especially not vegans. I couldn't give less of a shiitake, and I don't think any one way of eating is right for everyone. And I have no desire to hear crazy oil-phobic people spouting off everywhere I look on the internet. The only reason I mention that I personally eat fairly low-fat, is to highlight that I'm really not biased in this situation. If anything, these people are making me want to go eat the fattiest foods I can find, all day long, just to spite them.

Anyway sorry to rehash stuff that's already been said in this thread, just really needed the rant.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:26 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Milk in my "black" coffee. Seriously, Dunkin Donuts? I brought my own milk and everything. DAMMIT.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:47 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Yes. It's so awkward when you know a vegan business is doing something really shitty. I want vegan businesses to succeed and attract nonvegan business, but shitty behavior should be unacceptable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:36 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I know what you mean completely. It's so disheartening when you go to an all-vegan place and it's actually a bit crepe. I went to a vegan cake shop (I think it claimed to be patisserie but it wasn't fancypants enough for a French name - the cakes were mostly Germanic American, rather than French patisserie but I digress) in New York and, while the cake I got (I think it was a cinnamon swirl of some variety) tasted fine at the time, every breath I took for the rest of the day was accompanied by the taste of vegetable shortening.

They did let me use their loo, though, which they weren't supposed to do as I had to go through their kitchen to get there, so they win a million kindness points. We need to send Isa round to show them how to make cakes that taste of amazeballs.

My worst experience with a vegan company is a certain vegan footwear purveyor in a city I grew up near; I've been in two or three times and the staff have always been really off-putting. I know that working in a shoe shop is probably the most exciting thing in the world, but in a boutiquey shop like that (that makes very good-quality shoes and I would highly recommend), I'd expect at least a "hi" and not a vacant glare when I come in through the door.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:04 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Whenever I cook with nutritional yeast, I get "nooch nooch nooch, nooch of Earl [nooch nooch] nooch of Earl [nooch nooch]..." stuck in my head.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:06 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

jojo wrote:

SIGH! This, it's so annoying

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:22 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

annak wrote:
Whenever I cook with nutritional yeast, I get "nooch nooch nooch, nooch of Earl [nooch nooch] nooch of Earl [nooch nooch]..." stuck in my head.

AGH! Now I will, too!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:38 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Gulliver wrote:
My worst experience with a vegan company is a certain vegan footwear purveyor in a city I grew up near; I've been in two or three times and the staff have always been really off-putting. I know that working in a shoe shop is probably the most exciting thing in the world, but in a boutiquey shop like that (that makes very good-quality shoes and I would highly recommend), I'd expect at least a "hi" and not a vacant glare when I come in through the door.

If that's where I think it is then I totally agree. When I went to the Third Estate in London the service was awesomely excellent, and I had to say "wow, your customer service is SO MUCH BETTER than ____!" which I then thought might have been a bit embarrassing for the saleswoman as she probably has quite a bit of interaction with them, since they get some of their stock from there!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Someone posted on my wall and tagged my other vegetarian friends:

Quote:
Now I know none of you are this bad by any means, but I WILL take this as an excuse to post funny things tagging you specifically. Also Audrey you're still not a vegetarian, stop it. *hitsgentlywithrolledupmagazine*

http://9gag.com/gag/5619280?ref=fb.s

(the link is a facebook post about a bad experience someone had with a vegetarian on a bus)

I commented back:

*insert worlds biggest eye roll* Spensah, I know you're smart enough to know that one bad interaction is just that: one bad interaction. Don't sell yourself so short here!

and now he's going off on some tangent about how IT'S JUST A JOKE gosh. my boyfriend posted this in response haha:

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3osgog/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:30 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

choirqueer wrote:
annak wrote:
AGH! Now I will, too!
Ditto. And this is a peeve because...?

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:45 am 
Nooch of Earl

I haven't heard back from any of the vegans I contacted from sittercity, so I might have to hire an omnivore to watch my daughter. It's not that I care THAT much about what someone eats in their spare time, I just didn't want to have to explain everything.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:52 am 
ugh

veggiepalooza wrote:
Someone posted on my wall and tagged my other vegetarian friends:

Quote:
Now I know none of you are this bad by any means, but I WILL take this as an excuse to post funny things tagging you specifically. Also Audrey you're still not a vegetarian, stop it. *hitsgentlywithrolledupmagazine*

http://9gag.com/gag/5619280?ref=fb.s

(the link is a facebook post about a bad experience someone had with a vegetarian on a bus)

I commented back:

*insert worlds biggest eye roll* Spensah, I know you're smart enough to know that one bad interaction is just that: one bad interaction. Don't sell yourself so short here!

and now he's going off on some tangent about how IT'S JUST A JOKE gosh. my boyfriend posted this in response haha:

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3osgog/

Honestly eating on the train can be kind of gross whether you're veg*n or not. Especially if it is smelly. (But I'd never actually say anything unless someone was dropping food on me.)

Sincerely,
Hypocrite who occasionally eats on the train

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:56 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

The indian restaurant I'm going to tomorrow has plenty of vegetarian dishes I could choose from, but only one with chickpeas. I want my proteins and some choice, dammit!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:26 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

b.vicious wrote:
Sincerely,
A math problem for you. If three people drink two bottles of wine on a sixteen-minute train journey, how many times will they roll down a grass bank on the way home from the bar?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:32 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Zero? (they are not rolling home from the bar, but the train)...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:40 am 
WRETCHED

I sit in a new office and the cafeteria isn't the most veg friendly.

Coffee (not that I'm really a coffee drinker) - 3 types of milk (skim, half&half, whole)

Daily soups - a Beef soup and a chicken soup

Daily specials - more meaty concotions

I bring my lunch and I met the head guy in the cafeteria. He seems nice but I don't want to make special requests because I don't eat here.

They do have made to order sandwiches that look good but hummus isn't listed as an option either. The other place I used to work at had hummus and a veggie wrap (hummus/avocado). I'd get that every once in a while.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:46 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

b.vicious wrote:
Honestly eating on the train can be kind of gross whether you're veg*n or not. Especially if it is smelly. (But I'd never actually say anything unless someone was dropping food on me.)

Sincerely,

I kind of find it entertaining when someone takes fast food on board. It smells up EVERYTHING but it's not a food smell, it's pseudo-food smell because real food isn't supposed to smell like that. So, I smell this stuff, put my book around and start scanning the passengers trying to figure out what on earth that thing is and where it came from. The mystery of the non-food smells must be resolved!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 508  Next