| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 460, 461, 462, 463, 464, 465, 466 ... 520  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:29 am 
Seagull of the PPK

you shopping list people are funny. ours are in 3 languages and every once in a while, i'll drop it or the cashier will hand it to me (left it in the basket) and not only do people get wigged out about things written in Japanese, my english and portuguese look like some alien script. when the archaeologists find mine.....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:03 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

This article was posted on facebook with the title "Sorry Vegans" And of course the comments are full of vegan bashing.

Plants Can Hear Themselves Being Eaten.

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-an ... eing-eaten

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I was coming here to post the exact same thing, Kal.

I wrote a rather annoyed comment that if a sight is going to purport to "forking love science" then it would behoove them to actually follow the science. The science itself was actually pretty cool, but in no way implied consciousness, feelings, the ability to hear in the sense we usually use the term, or that the chemical response generated was to prevent being eaten. When people whose mission it is to be funny skim the science to get to a punch line, I get it. But when a scientist skims the science for a punch line, it's disheartening.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:25 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Yeah, and what is really annoying is that the page will post things about climate change. It even suggested going vegetarian once a week (meatless Monday). Wouldn't it make sense for them to post about why it would be good for the environment if everyone cut down on meat and use science to back it up?

Someone earlier posted on reddit something about how all vegans hate science and believe in all sorts of woo. You try respond, even with links that disproves this but you just get down voted or the response is "that's only a very small amount of vegans!" (The OP posted the link for real vegan cheese made with bacteria and everyone was all "Vegans will hate that because they hate bio engineering!")

I need to go lower my blood pressure. And yeah I get that it is my fault for reading the comments.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:05 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

It's unfortunate. Either I've become more enlightened (probably not very likely) or IFLS has really dumbed down their articles over the past year as their popularity skyrocketed.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:16 am 
WELFARIST!

alden wrote:
IFLS has really dumbed down their articles over the past year as their popularity skyrocketed.

I've noticed this, too and was thinking the same thing. They seem to post a lot of trendy articles or popular but not very scientific articles in between some really good articles and fact bites. It's really disheartening. I especially hate it when groups like that alienate whole parts of their readership because it's "cool" to do so and makes them more popular.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:37 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

vegetable_assassin wrote:
My soon to be mother in law is throwing myself and my boyfriend a wedding couples shower, inviting our friends and her friends. This is totally her idea, she offered and she planned everything, she was the one who wanted to do it. Therefore, I have stayed out of it except for providing her with a number of people we have to invite and getting those invitations to our friends. We figured it'd be a vegan party of course, and I was talking about what I needed to make with her, its a picnic/bbq theme. We already talked about making bratswursts to grill, and then she asked me what kind of veggie burgers we should have, and I told her about the recipe I use which would be better than storebought to serve to meat eaters. She is going to make baked beans, someone else is making a vinegar-based potato salad that is supposed to be vegan, other people may be bringing things, she is making hummus. I am making a fruit pizza (a tub of tofutti mixed with sugar, spread on a cookie dough on a baking sheet, topped with fruit), tabboulli, and the burgers stuff. She then said, well, even if the meat eaters don't end up liking it, we can have meat burgers for them. My boyfriend spoke up then and said that he thought that it was kind of not cool that people coming to a party to celebrate us would eat meat there. I said that since it is in the afternoon from 2-5, even if they don't believe its a meal without meat, its not really a mealtime anyway, so they wont starve for a few hours without getting to eat a "real" burger. My boyfriend tried to talk his mom out of it, and she has always been much more accomadating to us being vegan than my family. Always making everything vegan at the holidays, birthday cakes, she goes out of her way more than I could expect most of the time. It makes me sad that this is going on, but ultimately it came down to her telling him, "Talk to your dad", which isn't surprising, because he D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y thinks vegan food is fake and weird and all that, and hates mushrooms so probably heard me talking before about how we should grill portabellos and onions to put on the burgers and thought he was going to have to eat a mushroom if he didn't convince her to make him meat burgers or something. Sigh. I wish people could truly think about the effect their decisions have on the feelings of others, seriously, if he dosen't want to eat anything there and eat whatever he wants before/after, why can't that be good enough? I know my boyfriend is madder than me about this, and it's his family, so he will probably speak up more and try to let them know why it's important to us.

Boo that stinks.

But your fruit pizza sounds AMAZING. What kind of cookie dough do you use? Like a sugar cookie dough? I wanna try this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:07 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Thanks, the fruit pizza will be amazing, especially since all the fruits are in season now. Last time I made it I found a store brand of premade sugar cookie dough that was vegan and used that, but this time since I no longer live where that store is, it'll be a homemade sugar cookie.

Update to the situation, my boyfriend and I saw his mom again yesterday and he brought it back up, and we discussed. In the end she said she hadn't really thought about it that way, and agreed the party will be vegan (with the caveat that if one uncle that is coming complains she can throw a burger on for him). Which I highly doubt will happen, because, even if you eat meat, how rude do you have to be to go to a party with a ton of great homemade food that me and her are planning out in advance and going to work hard on, and then complain about what isnt there? Yeah, if that were to happen, I bet the meat aspect would not be the most offensive part. I know his dad will not be pleased, but its one day, and its a party for us, and I'm glad she has changed her mind. Like I said before, she is usually very understanding and accomadating to veganism. His dad, on the other hand, acts like I'm making my boyfriend be vegan (he was before we met) and says stuff to him like, "You aren't going to do that to yourself forever are you?! What if you have kids?"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:45 pm 
Nailed to the V

I've been running into people who insist that vegan baked goods require a huge amount of sugar to 'make up for the lack of eggs and dairy.' It's starting to drive me nuts. All but a few of the recipes I use are family recipes that I veganized, and not only do I not add sugar, I often cut the amount of sugar called for. I've explained this, and also explained that adding large amounts of extra sugar would not result in anything resembling a cookie because chemistry, but some people just want to dig in their heels. It's SO annoying, probably more annoying than the stupid soy-phobia I run into.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:28 am 
Hail Seitan!

Mr. Shankly wrote:
alden wrote:
IFLS has really dumbed down their articles over the past year as their popularity skyrocketed.

I've noticed this, too and was thinking the same thing. They seem to post a lot of trendy articles or popular but not very scientific articles in between some really good articles and fact bites. It's really disheartening. I especially hate it when groups like that alienate whole parts of their readership because it's "cool" to do so and makes them more popular.

They were making fun of vegans on "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" on NPR on Saturday. It was one of those fake stories (they tell three stories and the contestant guesses which one is true), but it was definitely insulting if you were actually vegan. It was about how someone's coworkers all went vegan and it said something like, "So of course everyone became obnoxious and self righteous" so the one meat eater in the office made a MEAT SUIT to wear to work (because the vegans are the obnoxious ones).

I also noticed on the Sims, if you make your character a vegetarian it says they get sick a lot because of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:53 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i didn't hear that wait wait story, but i do remember with glee when they pissed off the knitters and the ravelry folks made their life more interesting. maybe they need a visit from the post punk brigade (ravelry sent a wave of soft and not scratchy sweaters to Moe Rocca, who had complained, and he had to apologize. if i lived close enough i'd send him enough black and white cookies to make him cry in black and white.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:59 am 
Hail Seitan!

My best friend is big into Ravelry. I didn't hear about all that. I'm gonna ask her about it. ha.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:20 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

SassyOh wrote:
I've been running into people who insist that vegan baked goods require a huge amount of sugar to 'make up for the lack of eggs and dairy.'

i get the opposite. people often assume vegan stuff has no sugar because it is healthier...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:09 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Hollie wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
alden wrote:

They were making fun of vegans on "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" on NPR on Saturday. It was one of those fake stories (they tell three stories and the contestant guesses which one is true), but it was definitely insulting if you were actually vegan. It was about how someone's coworkers all went vegan and it said something like, "So of course everyone became obnoxious and self righteous" so the one meat eater in the office made a MEAT SUIT to wear to work (because the vegans are the obnoxious ones).

I also noticed on the Sims, if you make your character a vegetarian it says they get sick a lot because of it.

No no, they say if a vegetarian Sim eats meat they'll get sick. And they tend to live longer than other Sims! However, your vegetarian Sim will go fishing no problemo.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:15 am 
Hail Seitan!

Oh, good, because I was like, "what the fizzle is this nonsense?" ...but I have to stop playing because I get so annoyed that it takes that bisque 2 hours to shower and ain't nobody got time for that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:27 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I rarely have the opportunity to play omni bingo... but this last weekend, I filled my card.
My favorite was going to a small sort of fair setting with sellers and all that for the 4th. Stopping by a booth that sold lotions and what not. I notice she has one thing that is vegan. So I am looking at that line and am really interested in buying. Until she says "Well, I guess that is vegan. I don't make things for those people. I'm a carnivore."
She looked so shocked when I walked away.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:35 pm 
Hail Seitan!

Oh, I had another one over the weekend. A friend and his girlfriend were up at my work because he's doing an art project that he's been putting hours and hours into. He texted me to see if I wanted to come up and hang out and keep them company. I was at home bored, so I said sure. I asked if they wanted me to pick up some wine and snacks and he said, "yes! We're starving! That would be awesome!"

I don't do anything half-arsed, so of course, I went and got a totally killer spread of snacks (chips, pretzel crisps, guac, salsa, two kinds of hummus [because it was on sale], wine). As I was turning onto the street, I passed his girlfriend in her car going somewhere. I went inside, carrying all the food, and asked him where she was going. He said, "Oh, she was hungry." I said, "You didn't tell her I was bringing food??" He said, "Yeah, but she said she wanted meat."

She came back with roast beef sandwiches from Arby's and they didn't eat ANY of the food I'd brought.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Did you talk to him about how rude that was?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:05 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

WOW. That's just. That's so much dickery in one event. If his girlfriend wanted meat, he should've texted you back and said nevermind. Or been polite and eaten a little bit of what you brought. Or forking apologized for his girlfriend.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:06 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I think that people here tend to be so nice that it can be easy to forget that the world is actually really full of crassholes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:12 pm 
Hail Seitan!

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Did you talk to him about how rude that was?

I did not.

I have always found that I am apparently really really bad at speaking up in situations like this and having anything positive happen as a result. Don't know if it's from being an only child and not growing up learning to deal with conflict, or what. But it's a problem I have always had and it causes a lot of anxiety for me.

I feel like $30 worth of groceries isn't anything to cause problems in a friendship over, even though I was definitely peeved.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:04 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

i have the same problem in speaking up...

i think that since he called you up & asked for your help - he should have bought you food and not have you waste $ on snacks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My husband and I went camping with some friends this weekend. The guys bought a ton of meat to bbq and then harassed my husband all weekend about being vegetarian. They're so bent out of shape because my husband used to be a huge meat eater and their male bonding outings always involved huge amounts of meat and gluttony.

They basically hit every square of the vegan bingo card. Also the sexism bingo card, implying I was a harpie cracking the vegan whip over my poor beaten down husband. It was so rude. Like, I've never been on the receiving end of that much vitriol. I won't go into all the shiitake they said. Suffice it to say it bordered on cruel and felt like a real betrayal of the friendship. To top it off, we brought tofu scramble for our breakfast and offered to share and one of the guys took some but covered it in bacon, just to be a dick.

To his credit, my husband was totally cool and never even engaged. Since they couldn't get a reaction, they stopped after 2 days. I think if my best friends treated me that way I would never speak to them again. Ever. He says it didn't bother him, and that he didn't say anything in response because he knew he would just sound defensive. All I can do is shrug. I have a feeling he will naturally grow apart from these people though (I'm friends with the wives, who are super cool, and he's friends with the husbands, who can't seem to adjust), and that makes me sad.

Between this and the complaints I wrote about them in the childfree thread, I feel super bummed. We had fun over the weekend but I think over the past few years our lives have gone in one direction and our friends' in another and they can't seem to accept us for who we are even though we have adapted to them in a lot of ways.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:49 pm 
Hail Seitan!

That is ridiculous and must have been awful and awkward for you!

Why don't people realize that that is beyond inappropriate??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:20 pm 
Grandfathered In

They stopped... after two days?

That sure was big of them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 460, 461, 462, 463, 464, 465, 466 ... 520  Next