| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12984 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 468, 469, 470, 471, 472, 473, 474 ... 520  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:29 am 
Lime and a Coconut

Agreed, and lest we forget, because I think you are letting him off too lightly,

Quote:
Did you see the thing on the news about their treatment of animals and animal welfare? Absolutely horrific. You can't help but feel that the Chinese are a subspecies.

emphasis mine.

No matter that all people all over the world treat animals horribly, including (GASP) caucasians, let's just go ahead and call 20% of the world's population a "subspecies" because they don't look like me. If that is not racism I don't know what is. Kill your idols, seriously.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:48 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Dude, I posted on an animal org's FB post about how awesome it was that Morissey was requiring that the stadiums that host his shows go veg when he plays that it was too bad he's such a dickhead racist. Someone asked for examples, and I posted the above, and linked to his wikipedia page, which has a lengthy writeup of his long history of "controversial" statements. One person commented that THEY forking AGREED with the subspecies remark and that I should just enjoy his voice and music and his work for the animals. UGGGGH. I replied and called the commenter a racist as well.

Getting close to getting off the ol' FB.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:35 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

UGH. You know what sweeping generalization I can make about all Chinese people in the world?

They are human and they need to be loved
just like anybody else does...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:09 pm 
Semen Strong

ErikaSoyforker wrote:
*As opposed to getting your calcium from cow's milk- nope, no water used there.

Yes, that article lost any credibility it might have had when it suggested that organic dairy kefir was less water-intensive and better for you than almondmilk. STFU.

I didn't renew my Mother Jones subscription either. I like so much of the journalism, but I'm not paying to have my veganism bashed gratuitously.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:33 pm 
Hail Seitan!

This isn't really a vegan peeve, but it goes along with my previous complaints re: the word "hipster."

NBCnews.com has a story entitled, "Backyard Chickens Dropped at Shelters When Hipsters Can't Cope, Critics Say."

I wear Converse, ride a bike, listen to Beach House, know a lot about craft beer, and own backyard chickens." (All of those except one are things people have called me a hipster for doing.)

WHY ARE NEWS OUTLETS USING THIS forking STUPID SLANG TERM??

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:42 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I don't even like Morissey's music.

I went to a beerfest with Brian's sister this evening and the local bakery that has Vegan Wednesday's had a booth for beer cupcakes, the vegan one is made with PBR and guess what it's called. Guess.

The Hipster.

It was really good though.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:04 am 
Nooch of Earl

I think I have a new drinking game where whenever I see the word "inflammation" I drink a shot of almond milk.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:58 am 
Flounceiad 2011

annak wrote:
I think I have a new drinking game where whenever I see the word "inflammation" I drink a shot of almond milk.
Make that gin and I'm in!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:36 am 
Hail Seitan!

I just went to the vegan food truck, which I know I'm very lucky to have. I've gotten over their lack of vegetables and their super detached, slightly unfriendly attitude, and I go to it almost every time it's out. This morning the guy three booths away was yelling about "deep fried philly cheese steaks" the whole time I was in line and waiting for my food.

I got my food and was on the way back to the car and the philly cheese steak guy yells, "You really cheated yourself! We got DEEP FRIED PHILLY CHEESE STEAK HERE!" I normally would have just kept walking, but am I wrong to think that is super rude? If not just to me, to the people running the food truck where I got my food?

So I said, "Uh, I don't eat meat. Or dairy, so...I didn't cheat myself. Thanks." so then the guy starts going, "Oh! We got a VEGETARIAN! Well! I got vegetables! I got eggplant parmisan! I got stuffed mushrooms! So don't tell me you're a vegetarian and walk away! I got it ALL!" And then he and all of the people surrounding his booth laughed like he'd just made a hilarious point.

Ugh. Shut up, dude who doesn't know what "dairy" is.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:04 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Geez. I would ignore the shiitake out of that dude.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:06 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I probably would have flipped him off, but that is, admittedly, a pretty immature response.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:17 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

That is terrible business. But I guess mocking vegans and vegetarians in the in thing to do <.< I hate going over to where a friend lives because it is in a more rural area where a lot of people are big into hunting. If you say that you don't eat meat or heck, that you don't have bacon every day, you will be mocked and told how unhealthy you are.

A minor pet peeve, there are so many of Amy's products that look amazing but they are not vegan. There is their pesto pizza that I want to try so badly, but it has cheese on it. I've requested on their facebook for a dairy free version.

Another pet peeve related to Amy's. A lot of people were requesting for vegan snacks and another person came in and said "forget vegan, make a gluten free snack!" I found that to be a little rude. I also get annoyed when a company combines all their dairy free/vegan and gluten free products so that they can have less variety for people with allergies. It is not a problem is their gluten free recipe is good, but I've had some where it tasted more like I was eating cardboard rather than bread or cookies.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:36 pm 
Dead by dawn

One of my dear (not vegan) friends posted a pic of her lunch on facebook today with the caption "Beet Burger & curried carrot soup. DELICIOUS!" One of her friends commented that her food was "weird." I guess even omnis get dumped on for eating vegan food.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:41 am 
Not NOT A Furry

My boss always takes the pi$$ out of my food, usually calling it cardboard, which is fine because I'm used to it. But don't then steal my food because you have nothing to eat. I was really looking forward to my bagel for lunch :(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:09 am 
Naked Under Apron

jordanpattern wrote:
Dude, I posted on an animal org's FB post about how awesome it was that Morissey was requiring that the stadiums that host his shows go veg when he plays that it was too bad he's such a dickhead racist. Someone asked for examples, and I posted the above, and linked to his wikipedia page, which has a lengthy writeup of his long history of "controversial" statements. One person commented that THEY forking AGREED with the subspecies remark and that I should just enjoy his voice and music and his work for the animals. UGGGGH. I replied and called the commenter a racist as well.

Getting close to getting off the ol' FB.

I saw that on FB, what a douche!

Mat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:33 am 
Nailed to the V

I wish I could buy a vegan ice cream cone when I'm out and about. Bloody hot today and an ice cream van had stopped and everyones walking past me with giant ice creams. I don't even have any ice cream at home because it's too hot to carry any back from the supermarket :(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:50 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Kal wrote:
When I was ten I grabbed a random egg from the refrigerator and tried to hatch it. (Spoiler, it didn't work.)

heh. Did you sit on it?

So...are there any decent Vegan facebook groups out there? they all seem awful :(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:44 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

all the fb groups are pretty bad, either helping new vegans* or food shaming vegan groups...I had to get out of a few...

*nothing wrong with newbie vegans - duh! i just want to talk about vegan recipes and places to eat more than "are fritos vegan?"...ya know?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:11 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

well, if anyone has a decent group, let me know. I too, like to talk about food and cooking more than anything else. and funny stuff. The vegan humor group is pretty shame-y (no offense if anyone here is on there)

Reddit's r/vegan is pretty cool. But still looking for FB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:39 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

a 'friend' posted this about her omg accidently vegan soup!

"We somehow ended up with a vegan Cream of Broccoli soup. It didn't say that clearly on the label. I was like "I'm adding BUTTER"..lol...it was not bad, but when you eat dairy you're not used to the thinner consistency of a vegan cream soup."

the hoorrrrooorrrrr!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:00 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Chicki wrote:
well, if anyone has a decent group, let me know. I too, like to talk about food and cooking more than anything else. and funny stuff. The vegan humor group is pretty shame-y (no offense if anyone here is on there)

Reddit's r/vegan is pretty cool. But still looking for FB

I'd like a decent group too!

Maybe we should just make our own? Disclaimer: I have no idea how big of a thing that is, for I have no experience running a FB group.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:08 pm 
Semen Strong

missmuffcake wrote:
thinner consistency

Shades of IndyVegan?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:14 pm 
And you never will.

Tofulish wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
thinner consistency

Shades of IndyVegan?

Hahahaha ew.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:13 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

neighbor asked if i drank some bottled coffee drink, i said no, i assume it has dairy....she replied 'no, it just has cream'....um????

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:40 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Chicki wrote:
Kal wrote:
When I was ten I grabbed a random egg from the refrigerator and tried to hatch it. (Spoiler, it didn't work.)

heh. Did you sit on it?

So...are there any decent Vegan facebook groups out there? they all seem awful :(

Lol no I didn't sit on it. I did wrap it up in a blanket and then later submerged it in cold water. I was an eccentric child.

For Facebook groups, I like The Laziest Vegans in the World group. Everyone seems pretty nice. At least when I read the comments. Veg news has many good posts but I stay away from the comments. I stay away from those that post pictures of slaughtered animals and those that are very into the health side of things because the comments are always full of people screaming about an ingredient that they don't like.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12984 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 468, 469, 470, 471, 472, 473, 474 ... 520  Next