| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 477, 478, 479, 480, 481, 482, 483 ... 535  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Sheep's milk cheese has always been pretty popular. We sold a ton of it when I worked at WF.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

When I worked at a NFS we also had sheep's milk yogurt.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:16 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

missdelaney wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
they definitely had milk in elementary school. i remember the little square cartons. chocolate or plain. getting chocolate was like a big deal.

if you did not drink your milk at lunch you put the little carton on a tray...it was always full unless it was chocolate milk day.

We were required to take a juice or a milk every day, but the juice was just as vile as the milk. They had these buckets that you poured your excess into, so it was just these nasty buckets of warming milk and juice... I cannot handle the smell of warm milk for this exact reason.

Okay, this has reached maximum grossness, can we move on from the milk talk?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:18 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

lepelaar wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I think once I mixed a banana and a chocolate Alpro and my head exploded.

Oh. My. God. I have to try this!

You should add the strawberry, too. If we never hear from you again we'll know it was amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:37 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Sheep's milk isn't too common as pure milk, but it certainly has its role in cheese (feta, basque cheese, etc). (hope this doesn't count in the milk talk since it's not about gross stuff like rotten-juice-milk)

My peeve is that Silk doesn't appear to be selling aseptic quarts in my area anymore. I loved their vanilla and the quarts are all that can fit in my work fridge. . . I want yummy coffee!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:44 pm 
Saggy Butt

I remember asking my parents if we could drink milk at dinner because that's what they did on The Brady Bunch and I loved that show as a kid. They said no because it would make me too mucousy. Yay (non-vegan) parents!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:49 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Okay, this has reached maximum grossness, can we move on from the milk talk?

Nope.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:53 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:03 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Moving on... my pet peeve is that the taco place with soyrizo two blocks from my office closed down. Another taco place opened up in its place and it doesn't even have vegetarian options, let alone vegan (and it's some hipster bro place with a 'raw bar' meaning oysters, so it's not like traditional carnitas and that's why they don't rock the Tofurky). Another taco place opened up a few blocks further and they have vegan tacos. You get three for a mind-blowing $12. I don't know how these people sleep at night.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:21 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

AH! In two days I have a work function at the place where, last time there was a work function, I was able to get a panini "sandwich", you know, bread with a slice of tomato (they were unable to find anything else, but there was good olive oil, so I was not upset about this- not so happy about it being a $15 panini, but whatever). However it took me THREE TIMES sending it back to get it without cheese. I finally offered to go back and make it myself and they somehow managed to get it right.

My peeve is that it is a block away from the NEW VEGAN PUB (what the fizzle Brazil, we can't get nooch or tempeh or soy yogurt, but a vegan pub-- not that i'm complaining). And I can't go there because I may go hog wild and drink myself silly (long drive home afterwards). I will be spending the whole time wondering what the new pub is like. Its hours are bizarre and I haven't gotten to check it out yet, but I may have to take a long bathroom break and go on walkabout during the work function....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:26 pm 
BAD PASS

Why the hell does the Amy's "Soy Cheeze" pizza contain milk?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:40 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Amy's makes vegan cheese pizzas, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:48 pm 
BAD PASS

The only vegan one they had was mini and gluten free (and $6+). It wasn't very good, sadly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:56 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Amy's rice crust vegan spinach pizza is very awesome! But, alas, pricey. It's my pre-backpack meal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:00 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

searching 'LAX vegan' on bing because my browser chose that - i only got 'ex vegan' articles from the last 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:16 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

~Sz wrote:
Amy's rice crust vegan spinach pizza is very awesome! But, alas, pricey. It's my pre-backpack meal.

yeah, i think all the vegan cheese ones are gluten free, but i love that one! amy's pizzas are crazy expensive, but a good treat. i do agree that it's dumb that they still make lactose free (non vegan) mac n cheese and pizza. they have too many options which seems to mean that stores are less likely to carry the vegan ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Amy's also makes a vegan pizza with a non gf crust. The sauce is really tasty. It's hard to find though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:26 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

pixel wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
my mom forced cantaloupe on us with every meal, it makes me ill still.

Why cantaloupe? Is there some sort of nutritional value there? I kind of get why my parents forced milk on us given the success of the dairy industry at making everyone think Kids Must Have Milk...but cantaloupe?

We had Sunday dinner at my grandparents' house every week when I was a kid, and my Nana insisted that everyone eat a slice of cantaloupe before the meal. I never liked it, but we weren't allowed to eat any other food until we had finished it all. It was never any other fruit. Just cantaloupe. It does seem weird now, looking back. Maybe there was some sort of popular magazine article on the wonders of cantaloupe. Or maybe it was just really cheap back then.

Next weekend is my grandfather's 80th birthday, and the celebration is going to be in a function room at a local restaurant. I checked the menu, and it looks like the only thing remotely vegan is a plain salad. And the party is going to be 4 hours long. Guess I'll be eating beforehand and/or smuggling in snacks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:29 pm 

My peeve has been amended to: why aren't the local stores carrying aseptic milk,period? The soy milk they did have was marked for "close out." Just lovely.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:57 pm 
Saggy Butt

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Next weekend is my grandfather's 80th birthday, and the celebration is going to be in a function room at a local restaurant. I checked the menu, and it looks like the only thing remotely vegan is a plain salad. And the party is going to be 4 hours long. Guess I'll be eating beforehand and/or smuggling in snacks.

Go for the smuggling! I'm odd, I tend to smuggle potatoes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:12 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

My local zoo is always hosting community events. Many of them involve outdoor parties with lots of drinking, loud bands playing, and hundreds of people. The "party area" is right in the middle of the zoo and it's always super loud and chaotic. For years they set off fireworks, but finally decided the booming explosions were too much for the animals. Apparently hundreds of loud drunk people and blaring rock music isn't disturbing to them though?? what the fizzle!!! I hate, hate , hate zoos.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:42 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

lostgirl12 wrote:
My local zoo is always hosting community events. Many of them involve outdoor parties with lots of drinking, loud bands playing, and hundreds of people. The "party area" is right in the middle of the zoo and it's always super loud and chaotic. For years they set off fireworks, but finally decided the booming explosions were too much for the animals. Apparently hundreds of loud drunk people and blaring rock music isn't disturbing to them though?? what the fizzle!!! I hate, hate , hate zoos.

that's depressing :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:35 am 
WRETCHED

ijustdiedinside wrote:
~Sz wrote:

yeah, i think all the vegan cheese ones are gluten free, but i love that one! amy's pizzas are crazy expensive, but a good treat. i do agree that it's dumb that they still make lactose free (non vegan) mac n cheese and pizza. they have too many options which seems to mean that stores are less likely to carry the vegan ones.

It drives me crazy that the vegan options with Amy's seem to be gf such as the mac and cheese. The rice pizza crust doesn't taste good, my husband said it tasted like cardboard the time we tried it. I rather eat their cheese-free one than the gf one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:54 am 
BAD PASS

I liked the sauce on it a lot, but hated the crust. It was a tiny pizza, but I didn't finish it because blech.

This is the first time I had seen the vegan one (with cheese) in the store. The cheeseless one is too sweet-tasting for me, I think, but sometimes I buy it and alter it (sriracha, Daiya, Frank's Red Hot, or whatever).

I agree -- they do make too many varieties. No store is going to stock them all. And the vegan one with the regular crust seems to be the odd pizza out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:05 am 

~Sz wrote:

We really like this one too. And I share the "what the fizzle" about the soy cheeze pizza. I didn't even see it until after we had eaten it and I was breaking down the box for recycling. It was really good too, so bummer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 477, 478, 479, 480, 481, 482, 483 ... 535  Next