| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 487, 488 ... 521  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:39 am 
WRETCHED

vijita wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
This new shop opening in my town:

Pic is too big, so you have to click to see it.

Not only is the logo just...the worst, but their mantra is this:

Quote:
make this coffee house and specialty market your destination for everything Paleo.

I have a giant Paleo chip on my shoulder anyway, but really? Did the paleolithic people roast and grind coffee? Did they make butter? NO! Gahhhh.

Um, are people REALLY that stupid to throw their money into a business based on a fad diet?! They must be too young to remember Atkins or something.

I think surprisingly it might survive but who knows. I remember eons ago, when Atkins was at the top of its height, a low carb bakery opened up in San Diego and I even bought a cake for my mom there once. There is a different (?) bakery in San Diego that has 'low carb' bread and even a few they call "Paleo bread". Surprisingly, they have shown up in a store here... at $!0 a loaf of bread and people buy it.

I think partly people like to say they are following "Paleo" even if they aren't. So maybe a coffee shop like this will survive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:05 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I used to buy stuff at an Atkins shop too, though it was mostly because I had an eating disorder and also because they had some vegan shiitake. The meatmeatmeatmeatmeat movement is really big in Halifax but at least there's a place where I can get vegan poutine and at pubs they have cool stuff like fried Brussels sprouts that I can eat if they don't add the inevitable bacon.

I do not, even from my omnivorous days, understand the bacon/Brussels sprouts pairing. When I cook Brussels sprouts (often), I never crave any smoky or fatty element. I don't get it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:15 am 
WRETCHED

I've never heard of brussels sprouts and bacon? I never cared for bacon though so the whole bacon movement is... odd to me anyway :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:32 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I can't remember ever eating bacon in my life.

My pet peeve today is vegans who think they've "done their share" when it comes to morals in life and are totally not open to constructive criticism & non-vegans who act like veganism doesn't make any sense as long as you're moral 100 % of the time.

I actually had a discussion with one guy who said "all the vegans with their smartphones, how is that compassionate or good for animals, people and the environment!" Dude, you just bought a new iphone and you're talking to a vegan who's shitting herself at the thought of her 5 year old macbook dying because she doesn't think it'd be ethically right to buy a new one.

I know the "all or nothing" mentality is a way to justify not doing anything at all but I still get so angry every time it comes up. And they always talk like vegans are this tight-knit community where everyone is the same & we all agree on everything, not a diverse group of people with different lives and different reasons for veganism.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:32 am 
WELFARIST!

People still ask for Atkins bars at the HFS, so someone must still be trying that shiitake. Crossfit is HUGE in my town (and the paleo fad is huge among many of those who do Crossfit), so I bet this place will be busy for a hot minute. It's just so weird to me that they're calling it a health food place, when butter is in the name. I forget that butter is health food to some people.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:44 am 
Flounceiad 2011

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I can't remember ever eating bacon in my life.

My pet peeve today is vegans who think they've "done their share" when it comes to morals in life and are totally not open to constructive criticism & non-vegans who act like veganism doesn't make any sense as long as you're moral 100 % of the time.

I actually had a discussion with one guy who said "all the vegans with their smartphones, how is that compassionate or good for animals, people and the environment!" Dude, you just bought a new iphone and you're talking to a vegan who's shitting herself at the thought of her 5 year old macbook dying because she doesn't think it'd be ethically right to buy a new one.

I know the "all or nothing" mentality is a way to justify not doing anything at all but I still get so angry every time it comes up. And they always talk like vegans are this tight-knit community where everyone is the same & we all agree on everything, not a diverse group of people with different lives and different reasons for veganism.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:26 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

So maybe this is me just being grumpy (which I kind of am today) but this subject line in an email from a discount website irked me

"Eat your quinoa in a new vegan leather jacket!"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

^^ I saw that, yeah annoying.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:18 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Coworker "Do you want some of this cake"
me "no thank you"
Coworker "You have to have some"
me "I don't eat dairy"
Coworker "That's right, you're vegan, well this is a vegan cake"
me *smile uncomfortably*
Coworker "Don't you ever cheat"
me "never"
Coworker "That's crazy, I knew another vegan who ate shrimp all the time"
me "Well she wasn't really vegan then"
Coworker "no, she just wasn't so strict about it"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:25 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

LazySmurf wrote:
me "no thank you"
me "I don't eat dairy"
me *smile uncomfortably*
me "never"

ugh! so annoying.

i mentioned going for fro yo at work and one of my coworkers was like "do they have vegan frozen yogurt there, or do you just eat regular yogurt?" it sorta baffled me because obviously i don't just eat regular frozen yogurt, but i guess there are probably people who call themselves vegan who do that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:52 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

This is probably the pettiest peeve ever, but I've realized I always bristle when people refer to me as "a vegan" instead of using vegan as an adjective. I don't know why. It feels sort of othering, I guess?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:02 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

ijustdiedinside wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:
me "no thank you"
me "I don't eat dairy"
me *smile uncomfortably*
me "never"

ugh! so annoying.

i mentioned going for fro yo at work and one of my coworkers was like "do they have vegan frozen yogurt there, or do you just eat regular yogurt?" it sorta baffled me because obviously i don't just eat regular frozen yogurt, but i guess there are probably people who call themselves vegan who do that.

I was in CVS with a friend I've had for YEARS the other day and I picked up a box of cake mix to look at the ingredients and all and put it back when I saw it called for four eggs and he asked why I didn't get it and I said "it called for four eggs and I only buy them when they call for two or less" and he was like "oh so that's where the line is, a few eggs are okay" - obviously I meant I can replace an egg or two without issue but replacing four is a gamble. So so so weird to me that he automatically jumped to I break for boxed cake mix. YOU KNOW ME, YOURE NOT NEW

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:53 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

palm oil police....ugh.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:00 pm 
Semen Strong

Looking for a vegan kid's T, and found this. There are no words. Well besides, ew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:54 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Well, i didn't want to click on that stupid quinoa-vegan jacket link. Wish I did. it was a sale on Matt + Nat handbags. All the good ones are gone now :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:35 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

what the fizzle is that thing on the shirt suposed to be??

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:34 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

The soymilk in Portugal doesn't curdle in the coffee, no matter how strong you make it. WHY CAN'T WE HAVE THE NICE COFFEE HERE??!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:50 am 
Baking In The Flavor

So, relatives are getting a puppy. Not a rescue dog. I tried my hardest to find them a rescue dog, but nope. They're honestly lovely, awesome people, but I feel kind of conflicted :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:29 am 
Seagull of the PPK

GreenDuck wrote:
(mmm, bulls milk: high protein and dairy free!)

i saw what you did here. bravo!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:30 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I hate that plant based milk is associated with hipsters or just a trend. Vegans aren't the only ones who drink plant based milk. Some people have life threatening dairy allergies (myself included, though I've probably mentioned this about a billion times). It is nice to have several options besides soy milk. And I like to have some kind of milk in my cereal. And why are some people so obsessed with others not drinking an animal's breast milk? Some of these diet people come off as control freaks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:00 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Every day when I walk to work, I pass a restaurant called "Le Petit Cochon" (the little pig). They have a stupid sandwich board on the street that also touts their 'happy meat' and 'local farming' and 'awesome food' and 'healthy pigs' and "funny" slogans about pork. All I want to do is scribble all over it, "YOU. ARE. STILL. MURDERING. PIGS. Don't pretend like what you're doing is worthy of praise and self-congratulatory stroganoff on my way to work."

In addition to this foul-smelling restaurant I have to walk past ten blocks up, too. They serve horrible things like marrow and liver and tripe and their dumpsters just....reek. It's so awful. I know I have an abnormally sensitive nose, but I can't imagine having to be anywhere near that.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:36 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Kal wrote:
I hate that plant based milk is associated with hipsters or just a trend.

I hate that veganism period is associated with hipsters or seen as just a trend. I'm about as far from a hipster as you can get. I'm just a middle-aged woman who decided she didn't want to pay other people to hurt animals any more. It's not a forking trend. It's (for me, and most vegans I know) an ethical choice.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:18 am 
Not NOT A Furry

When people think that if you put a lobster in a fridge first then boil it alive it's totally way more ethical, because the almost frozen lobster won't know what's going on. You go stay in a fridge for several hours and see how you feel. What an anus of a human being.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:44 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Rosie wrote:
When people think that if you put a lobster in a fridge first then boil it alive it's totally way more ethical, because the almost frozen lobster won't know what's going on. You go stay in a fridge for several hours and see how you feel. What an anus of a human being.

Well that makes no sense whatsoever. Lobsters are cold blooded creatures that live in the North Atlantic. They're used to temperatures near freezing. That would in no way dull their perception of pain when thrown into boiling water. crassholes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:50 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Double post, sorry. This is a slightly premature peeve. I hardly ever post about veganism on my FB. I feel like my decision is private and don't want my friends to feel like I'm hitting them over the head with it. But after 3 1/2 years of being vegan, I posted a link to two fact sheets from Free from Harm, one about eggs and one about dairy. I'm now anticipating one of two things happening: 1) either I'm going to end up playing Defensive Omnivore Bingo, or - and knowing my friends I consider this the more likely scenario - 2) the only people who will like and/or comment (thus acknowledging having read the post/links) will be other vegans. I suspect that my omni friends, many of whom are in animal rescue, just don't want to know.

The post has only been up for half an hour and so far, scenario 2 is in the lead. I'm curious how this is going to go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 487, 488 ... 521  Next