| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12954 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 519  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:04 am 
Nailed to the V

Karena wrote:
That really surprises me! What a pity! My sister lived in Brighton for a few years & said that vegetarians & vegans are much better catered for than here in Aus, including standard supermarket products, frozen food, etc. Some cookbooks are more heavy on the seitan recipes than others. I sub tofu for tempeh if possible because I don't like tempeh. I'm sure there are plenty of good cookbooks you could still find useful. Off the top of my head, I don't think Big Vegan uses much of those ingredients.

PS. I'm another not-so-skinny vegan, but I've been gradually losing weight in the last 14 months. I haven't modified how much I eat, but I think I eat more protein & less carbs than I used to (carboholic here!). Definitely eating more beans & pulses than when I was vegetarian. I put it down to all the great cookbooks I've bought.

Oh, thank you :)
I don't know much (if anything!) about vegan/vegetarian food in Australia, but I guess Britain is fairly good...I think I'm just spoilt, I visited California earlier this year and was overwhelmed by the vegan options and ingredients there...and the prices were wonderful too! I'm lucky as I live in an area with a large Indian population so I can get a lot of Indian ingredients but as for the standard vegan fare...it all seems to be pretty dear! I'm on a very tight budget (jobseeking...) so can't afford most of the health food shop things.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:07 am 
Tofu Pup

My friends looking in my completely full fridge of leftovers, fresh veggies, fruits, fresh juices, home baked snacks, almond milk etc... and asking if I have any REAL food.

What am I eating, Play-dough?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:11 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

vixki wrote:
Talking of skinny, I hate how people comment on my weight in association with veganism.
As a kid, the nurse told my mum she couldn't raise me and my brothers as vegetarians, because we'd never grow. Now, I'm the shortest at 6'! I didn't drink my milk or eat my petit filous to make my bones strong but I've never broken a bone in my life.

And why do people feel they can tell me I'm too skinny? YES maybe I ordered the salad but that's because if I ordered the pizza I'd be sick all night. And I do eat plenty. You should see the amount I eat when I cook for myself! I'm skinny yes, but so's all my family. No, I'm not vegan because I want to lose weight.

And another very petty peeve, I hate how half the vegan recipes I come across seem to use Tempeh or Seitan, and Nutritional Yeast. I live in England! I can't get these things! I want to invest in some vegan cookbooks but I worry that I'll end up being stuck with a load of recipes I can't do...

Whereabouts do you live? I can buy nutritional yeast and tempeh pretty easily in the Midlands and I mail order gluten to make seitan.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:25 am 
Grandfathered In

Quote:
- My friend/roommate was furious with me for over a month, I think she still is. She was in my face screaming that I was both going to gain 20lbs and look emaciated while constantly spraining my ankles. Huh?

I... ?

Quote:
- She also said I should have asked her opinion first and she should have been able to have weight in the decision... Huh?

I... !

Quote:
- She told me "since I'm the one choosing to be difficult I will have to deal with the repercussions" IE- when we go out to eat I can either NOT eat, or have a side salad - she doesn't want to hear a word about it

I... !!

Quote:
- She told me she doesn't want to hear about it if I think my food is good... it's offensive to her. I'm sorry I celebrated making a vegan pizza from scratch that I loved but uh....What??

I... !!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:27 am 
Grandfathered In

Although, to be fair, it is kind of offensive to do something for yourself that doesn't have any impact on anyone else whatsoever. I mean, how would you feel if, like, your friend, say.. got a haircut? Pretty furious and disgusted, right?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:46 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

For a long time, I didn't know the vegetable korma on the lunch buffet at the Indian place by my work was vegan, then one day the lady who runs the place asked if I was vegan and pointed out all of the vegan dishes. I'm a total baby about spice and the rest of the stuff is pretty spicy - so I would get a big heap of the korma and teeny spoons of everything else (and 8 gazillion of the vegetable pancakes, but whatevs). Then a few visits later, she pointed out the vegan things again (they don't do this every time), and passed over the korma so I said, whoa, wait, what? Her explanation was that they 'try to have something for everybody' so the korma wasn't vegan this week but x/y/z was. So we have to make it with dairy instead of coconut so there aren't TOO MANY vegan dishes? And it's a good thing she told me, or I would've loaded up my to-go box, gotten to work, obviously tasted the dairy, and my lunch would've been forked.

It hasn't been vegan since. The indian buffet is $11 so it's like an every-other-month treat when I have a case of the sads or it's crappy weather or something.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:17 am 
Tofu Pup

torque wrote:
lots of us are not-skinny vegans, so welcome, and welcome to veganism.

And none of my business, but it sounds like your houseguest doesn't know how being a guest and receiving someone else's charity works. If it were me, she'd get the same talking to i'd give my twelve year old. as for screaming in your face, i'd be out there changing the locks, auntie or no.

Indeed- her hubby has been apologizing for her a lot lately. I had a talk with her after hearing from 2 friends on 2 separate occasions that she had given them a tour of my fridge and ranted about what was now in it (we have separate fridges what the fizzle). Turns out she's peeved she now has to buy milk and eggs and stuff. She demanded we separate the pantry which I think was suppose to scare me or something, but I'm not sure what I would want her cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup and hamburger helper for...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:18 am 
Tofu Pup

FootFace wrote:
Although, to be fair, it is kind of offensive to do something for yourself that doesn't have any impact on anyone else whatsoever. I mean, how would you feel if, like, your friend, say.. got a haircut? Pretty furious and disgusted, right?

ROFL!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:25 am 
Saggy Butt

torque wrote:
I tell you, my kid and I do so much Rising Above in this family one of these days i'm going to levitate out of here on a lotus leaf.

A little late to the party here, but just had to say this made me lol.

(And sorry you have to deal with that kind of crepe!)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:56 am 
Not NOT A Furry

kkoltcz wrote:
torque wrote:

And none of my business, but it sounds like your houseguest doesn't know how being a guest and receiving someone else's charity works. If it were me, she'd get the same talking to i'd give my twelve year old. as for screaming in your face, i'd be out there changing the locks, auntie or no.

Indeed- her hubby has been apologizing for her a lot lately. I had a talk with her after hearing from 2 friends on 2 separate occasions that she had given them a tour of my fridge and ranted about what was now in it (we have separate fridges what the fizzle). Turns out she's peeved she now has to buy milk and eggs and stuff. She demanded we separate the pantry which I think was suppose to scare me or something, but I'm not sure what I would want her cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup and hamburger helper for...

You must have the patience of a saint or something. I'm pretty sure this lady would have been kicked to the curb a long time ago if this happened at my house, friend or not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

Efcliz wrote:
Whereabouts do you live? I can buy nutritional yeast and tempeh pretty easily in the Midlands and I mail order gluten to make seitan.

I'm in Leicester...where do you buy them? I've never seen them...at least not in the Holland and Barrett or the other vegan shop.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:29 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm in Leicester. You can get tempeh in Green and Pleasant on Queen's Road, I think in Currant Affairs on Loseby Lane in town (and if they don't have it they will certainly get it in for you), probably the Wholefood Co-op off Dysart Way...

You can get nutritional yeast in the Wholefood Co-op, probably the other places too, or ask them to order it in for you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:39 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

mrsbadmouth wrote:
For a long time, I didn't know the vegetable korma on the lunch buffet at the Indian place by my work was vegan, then one day the lady who runs the place asked if I was vegan and pointed out all of the vegan dishes. I'm a total baby about spice and the rest of the stuff is pretty spicy - so I would get a big heap of the korma and teeny spoons of everything else (and 8 gazillion of the vegetable pancakes, but whatevs). Then a few visits later, she pointed out the vegan things again (they don't do this every time), and passed over the korma so I said, whoa, wait, what? Her explanation was that they 'try to have something for everybody' so the korma wasn't vegan this week but x/y/z was. So we have to make it with dairy instead of coconut so there aren't TOO MANY vegan dishes? And it's a good thing she told me, or I would've loaded up my to-go box, gotten to work, obviously tasted the dairy, and my lunch would've been forked.

It hasn't been vegan since. The indian buffet is $11 so it's like an every-other-month treat when I have a case of the sads or it's crappy weather or something.

I thought korma was always made with yogurt? Indian food. You never stop learning.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:48 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have exactly zero vegan/vegetarian friends in real life. I am scared to make them. Seriously, the experiences some people have are awful with other vegans. Even the random vegans I happen to meet are always cray cray.

I love this forum, everyone is very chill & respectful of choices. But I am afraid that if I join a meet up group, I will have to deal with the vegan police. I have heard nasty things about all the meet up groups that are in my area, and I don't want to risk unleashing the wrath of chicki on someone if they get all nuts about the fact that I eat in non-vegan restaurants, or I choose to wear fake leather.

I would love a vegan or vegetarian friend that I can go out to eat with though. Or have dinner parties with. Or try to make tempeh with (it will be done someday!!!)

Blah. I will continue to have omni friends that tell me my cookies are good...you know for VEGAN cookies. Since they taste so different. Must be all the tofu in there ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:52 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Skittles. Why oh why can't skittles be vegan over here? I badly want a pack of skittles that has no crushed insects in it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:53 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

daisychain wrote:
Skittles. Why oh why can't skittles be vegan over here? I badly want a pack of skittles that has no crushed insects in it.

Do a swap with Starburst with someone from the US!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:53 pm 
ugh

Chicki wrote:
daisychain wrote:

I would do that swap. I don't like Skittles but I miss Starburst!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

b.vicious wrote:
Chicki wrote:
daisychain wrote:

I would do that swap. I don't like Skittles but I miss Starburst!

I was actually thinking of making a sweetie swap thread! Do you think people would be interested?
Starburst are bloody amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:58 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Yeah, you should start one! There are a lot of sweets that you can get in some countries, but not others. (other junk food too, not just candy)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ugh, kkoltcz, your friend/roommate sounds awful! What a spoiled brat!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:46 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

kkoltcz wrote:
torque wrote:

I'm in no way saying that your houseguest is justified in acting that way (and she would've received an ultimatum of "well if you can find someone else to house you that doesn't offend your sensibilities in such a way, go for it" if she had been in my house), but my uninformed assessment of the situation would be that it sounds like she's having a really hard time dealing with the severe change in their life and the huge loss of control over her situation and is lashing out at the choices you are making because, well, you have the capacity to make them.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:57 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My coworker's solution to my chest pain, nausea, and vomiting after an ER visit: I just need a steak.

Sometimes otherwise nice people just say stupid stuff. I know he is trying to be funny, but I am missing the joke.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:13 pm 
Nailed to the V

dropscone wrote:
I'm in Leicester. You can get tempeh in Green and Pleasant on Queen's Road, I think in Currant Affairs on Loseby Lane in town (and if they don't have it they will certainly get it in for you), probably the Wholefood Co-op off Dysart Way...

You can get nutritional yeast in the Wholefood Co-op, probably the other places too, or ask them to order it in for you.

Oh, thank you...I didn't know about the Queen's road one or the Wholefood Co-op, never been there before, will have to check it out :) Currant Affairs is good but expensive! I wanted to get some vegan worcestershire sauce but it was £4.50 for a small bottle! Less than £2 in waitrose.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:47 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Mock duck, which you should be able to get in H&B, is basically seitan. I always used to rinse off the brine to make it less salty.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:02 pm 
Semen Strong

mrsbadmouth wrote:
So we have to make it with dairy instead of coconut so there aren't TOO MANY vegan dishes?

I would call and ask and tell them that you love the korma when its vegan and won't be able to come if its not. Most restaurants are looking for repeat business and the margins at lunch are really thin (according to our local shop) so they would probably really appreciate knowing that an option is bringing in business. Our local place has said that they keep one specific dish around just for me :) I praise it a lot and am always saying how lucky I am that they have so many vegan options blahblahblah. Being vocally vegan has its privileges!

My pet peeve? I wish there was a source for cheap, fair trade vegan chocolates for Halloween.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12954 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 519  Next