| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 491, 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497 ... 546  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:31 pm 
BAD PASS

My peeve today is people that make dumb jokes about veganism that you've head a billion times and then think you're a jerk when you don't think they're funny.

Raaar.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:15 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Thanks for the recommendations! I will definitely check those out!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:16 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

brontrent wrote:
I use the Silk coffee creamer (plain and French vanilla) in my coffee everyday. I LOVE that stuff for coffee. I have tried the coconut milk coffee creamer in a pinch and it is nowhere as good as Silk. It is the only Silk product I buy (I prefer almond or coconut milk for "everyday" use). I need my coffee in the morning and Silk is the only decent product on the market here for that.

The vanilla Silk creamer is the only thing that I can deal with in my coffee. I've been out for a week (and broke), so I've tried several times to make do with unsweetened almond milk... not an acceptable substitute. Not even a little bit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:06 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Picture of a piglet eating an ice cream cone (basically the cutest thing ever) and the caption says, you know where this is going..., "There's nothing more adorable than a piglet eating ice cream. And as a bonus, when he grows up, all that ice cream will make him fat and delicious."
UGH! People suck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:03 am 
Nooch of Earl

I can't buy Silk creamer here and the only thing that's given me any joy has been the hazelnut creamer recipe in "Vegan Slow Cooking for 2."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:11 pm 

I was a at a Japanese resturaunt yesterday and something on the menu looked vegan friendly. Turns out, they cook it in butter. I ended up having a regular salad, miso soup, and a sea weed salad followed by an avacado roll.

There was a couple next to us who was talking about one of their friends that was vegan. I over heard one said in a very accusatory tone "she's vegan but she eats fritos!" Yes how DARE she eat fritos! Vegans aren't allowed to that packaged grocery store food! /sarcasm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Kal wrote:
I was a at a Japanese resturaunt yesterday and something on the menu looked vegan friendly. Turns out, they cook it in butter. I ended up having a regular salad, miso soup, and a sea weed salad followed by an avacado roll.

Weird! Butter is one of the last things I'd think to worry about at a Japanese restaurant. I love Japanese food but I just worry about fish sauce, bonito, and the weird Thousand-Island-dressing-esque sauce that's ubiquitous at Americanish Japanese places.

More carrageenan scaremongering: I saw on FB that So Delicious is releasing a coconut milk Cool Whip type of thing (I hope it's as awesome as it has the potential to be), one of the first comments was "Does it have carrageenan?" with, like, twenty likes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:16 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Can someone give me the tl;dr version of why carrageenan is the new arsenic? I learned about it in 10th grade biology and only know of it as a seaweed derivative in toothpaste (as well as in food products).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:42 pm 
Dead by dawn

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Can someone give me the tl;dr version of why carrageenan is the new arsenic? I learned about it in 10th grade biology and only know of it as a seaweed derivative in toothpaste (as well as in food products).

I remember my dad telling me when I was little that ice cream had seaweed in it, trying to gross me out so he could hog all thd ice cream, of course. So, like, carageenan in food isn't at all new... we've been eating it our whole lives. I don't get why it's suddenly poison.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:52 pm 
Grandfathered In

I'm telling you: apples are next.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

Very vocal vegan local posted a picture of herself drinking something with this as the caption:

Quote:
Wait, what do you mean this isn't vegan?!? ‪#‎frozenhotchocolate‬ ‪#‎serendipity3‬ ‪#‎lasvegas‬ ‪#‎oops‬ ‪#‎sorrynotsorry‬ ‪#‎whathappensinvegas‬ ‪#‎thiswasmymoment‬

Cool.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:00 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

Some people say there are studies showing it causes some gastrointestinal distress. I do not know the actual usefulness of those studies. I do not avoid it.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:05 am 

I've heard some people insist that carrageenan causes cancer. I think they just say cancer and do not specify what kind of cancer. The companies assure that they do not use the degraded form with I think is for industrial purposes anyway but people still say that it is dangerous. I think it is just seaweed? I know that some people won't use tooth paste with carrageenan in it even though you are supposed to spit it out.

Looks like the blood in these snails can help fight herpes. I feel like my ethics get challenged when stuff like this happends. I want there to be more treatment for people with herpes, but I also hate that it has to come from snails. Maybe they can make a synthetic version where snails won't have to be hurt?

http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20142208-26055.html

I saw some criticism of the ice bucket challenge on some vegan fb pages because the money is being donated to an organization that tests on animals. I'm not really sure how to feel because I do want there to be more research on ALS but then I feel a little weird about donating. But that kind of makes me a hypocrit because I have taken medication when I have needed it and it would have been tested on animals.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:20 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

You can donate to a charity that doesn't test on animals. IDJI posted this one in another thread :

http://www.ccals.org/home.php

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:32 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I hate to admit it but the ice box challenge is kind of a genius awareness campaign. I am sick of it because of all the problematic animal reasons people have stated and yes, it's annoying and more of popularity contest than anything truly helpful; but holy crepe; whomever came up with it reached an astounding amount of people. I would say people actually finding out about ALS probably more than outweighs the actual donations; which might be even more important.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:32 am 
Nooch of Earl

Kal wrote:
There was a couple next to us who was talking about one of their friends that was vegan. I over heard one said in a very accusatory tone "she's vegan but she eats fritos!" Yes how DARE she eat fritos! Vegans aren't allowed to that packaged grocery store food! /sarcasm

I think Fritos might be the food I would least mind if I found out the recipe were being changed to be nonvegan. They're like… a giant's toenail clippings.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:48 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

It's sausage fest at my farmers' market today and I really want to go get my veggies but I'm super grossed out by the sausage festivities.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:32 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

vijita wrote:
I hate to admit it but the ice box challenge is kind of a genius awareness campaign. I am sick of it because of all the problematic animal reasons people have stated and yes, it's annoying and more of popularity contest than anything truly helpful; but holy crepe; whomever came up with it reached an astounding amount of people. I would say people actually finding out about ALS probably more than outweighs the actual donations; which might be even more important.

I still don't know what ALS is. Probably because I'm a spiteful cow who hates popular things (I refused to watch Friends until it had been around for about a decade).

ETA: okay, I looked it up. Now I know.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:02 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

seriously! i keep seeing things that say like "non-GMO, organic, NO CARRAGEENAN" and i havent figured out exactly why it is supoosedly bad.

i just googled "why is carageenan bad" and some random sites say it has no nutritional value, is just used as an emulsifier and can cause inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract.

i cant say ive ever noticed any particular product giving me issues like that enough to see what was in it making me feell ill.

other than dairy. dairy causes mad inflammation of my gastrointestinal tract.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:32 am 
Nooch of Earl

I'm not sure this really counts as a *vegan* pet peeve per se, but it's an example of a broader thing that annoys me: when compassion towards animals is viewed as somehow taking away from human rights issues, rather than existing alongside it.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/08/a-deadly-epidemic-of-violence-against-women/378968/

Here's the headline and sub-headline:

Quote:
A Deadly Epidemic of Violence Against Women
One epicenter is South Carolina, where all 46 counties have at least one animal shelter—and only 18 have domestic abuse shelters.

What do the animal shelters have to do with it? It's like they're saying, what kind of a crasshole starts an animal shelter instead of a domestic abuse shelter. When the question should just be, why isn't there more support for abuse escapees. I know I'm being petty but I see this so often and it drives me insane. It's like, anyone who does any kind of animal work is taking away from people, but the people who just stay on their couch playing xbox instead of any of that aren't blamed at all. (which is not to imply that I don't occasionally veg on the couch ;) )

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:08 am 
Seagull of the PPK

no shiitake.
i feel like there is some kind of bizarre competition, like there is only enough compassion for one or two really noble causes. I don`t know if that "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice anywhere" quote from MLK is real or apocryphal, but I really think the idea holds- activism is not a commodity that we're "wasting", encouraging people to work for a cause they believe in, i think, enables them to voice opinions about other causes as well.

Also, is it me or is an animal shelter a public health requirement? a place to bring strays that get picked up, etc? Apples and oranges, in any case.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:15 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

there was an older couple at Costco yesterday, I was in the organic section getting a box of my fave cereal. Overheard the lady tell her husband 'all cereal is organic'...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:56 pm 
Semen Strong

annak wrote:
I'm not sure this really counts as a *vegan* pet peeve per se, but it's an example of a broader thing that annoys me: when compassion towards animals is viewed as somehow taking away from human rights issues, rather than existing alongside it.

Yes, I was really annoyed at all the memes that compared Michael Vick getting 2 years in jail "for dogfighting" to Ray Rice getting a 2 game suspension for beating his wife, to make the point that the NFL takes animal abuse more seriously than it does intimate partner violence. And while the NFL deserves a lot of flack for its non-punishment, if Ray Rice had committed racketeering and run an illegal gambling enterprise and tortured and killed women, then I am pretty sure he would have gotten prison time as well.

Its not like Vick got a very heavy sentence and it was for racketeering, which he pled to so no one would ever really see the damning photographic evidence of what he did to those dogs. So to act like it was such a heavy sentence as compared to a 2 game suspension is comparing apples to oranges. Both things are terrible, and the NFL shouldn't have either Rice or Vick still playing for them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:17 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I took the fam to a weekend popup restaurant at a local yoga place (yeah, yeah, i should have known better, but i am naive, and someone recommended it highly) and I would like to inform you:
HEALTH BULLETIN: drinking water with your meal will CANCEL OUT all the health benefits of vegetarianism.

How do I know this?
Because Mr Torque was getting thirsty and desperate and the only liquid was soup or a little bit of green juice, and when I suggested that he looked like he was going to cry, so we flagged down the owner hoping to get a bottle of water or something.
Instead, he served me The Great Truths of Vegetarian Health.

And because I am a truly horrible person, and I won't be going back (the food was meh for the price, too many sprouts and not enough salt), when he wrapped up his explanation in his kind, velvety Bob Vila voice, "and that's why we don't serve juice", I said:
"It would actually be really great if you had soda. Coke, especially. Maybe diet too."

mwuahaha. I thought his eyes were going to roll up in his head.
We didn't get the nice hippy small talk everyone else did when we paid the tab on the way out, which made it kind of worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Is it a macrobiotic place? that sounds like the sort of thing I've read in one of their cookbooks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 491, 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497 ... 546  Next