| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498 ... 546  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:41 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

they are a "wellness space" where they do naturopathy and such- the food seems to be an on-the-side thing. I did notice there was no onion or garlic. Or salt. I didn't see any umeboshi or seaweed or pickles, which seems to be pretty macro, but I don't claim to be the expert. Who knows.
They certainly meant well, and I think the guy would have fallen over if I told him I've been vegan for 8 or 9 years, since so few people are vegetarian here. Or who knows, he might have told me I'm going to die since I don't eat ghee or honey (both were for sale at the checkout). I don't mean to make fun, but it was just bizarre. Healthwise, I may as well just go eat meat!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:07 pm 
***LIES!!!***

missmuffcake wrote:
there was an older couple at Costco yesterday, I was in the organic section getting a box of my fave cereal. Overheard the lady tell her husband 'all cereal is organic'...

Well, indeed, it is, except for the salt I guess. Although I don't think that's quite what's intended by the organic label.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:27 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

torque wrote:
I took the fam to a weekend popup restaurant at a local yoga place (yeah, yeah, i should have known better, but i am naive, and someone recommended it highly) and I would like to inform you:
HEALTH BULLETIN: drinking water with your meal will CANCEL OUT all the health benefits of vegetarianism.

How do I know this?
Because Mr Torque was getting thirsty and desperate and the only liquid was soup or a little bit of green juice, and when I suggested that he looked like he was going to cry, so we flagged down the owner hoping to get a bottle of water or something.
Instead, he served me The Great Truths of Vegetarian Health.

And because I am a truly horrible person, and I won't be going back (the food was meh for the price, too many sprouts and not enough salt), when he wrapped up his explanation in his kind, velvety Bob Vila voice, "and that's why we don't serve juice", I said:
"It would actually be really great if you had soda. Coke, especially. Maybe diet too."

mwuahaha. I thought his eyes were going to roll up in his head.
We didn't get the nice hippy small talk everyone else did when we paid the tab on the way out, which made it kind of worth it.

Hahahaha I love you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:06 am 
BAD PASS

I went out to dinner with an omni friend on Saturday and it turned into a huge ordeal, and I worry she got the feeling that my life is super difficult because of my diet.

First we went to this BBQ place that has a (very small) vegan section of their menu and really good whiskey cocktails (not gonna lie -- we were mostly in it for the drinks). They have BBQ seitan that's actually really good. About 15 minutes after I ordered, I see a guy come out of the kitchen and start talking to the server and pointing to the menu. I distinctly heard the word "tempeh" and then the server repeating it slowly like it was a crazy word in ancient arabic or something. So then she comes over and tells me that they're out of seitan, but they have a tempeh red bean burger instead, that's $5 more that I can have. I didn't want a burger and side -- I'd just wanted the small plate of seitan. And I didn't want to pay more for a thing I didn't even want. Then the CHEF comes over and tries to convince me to get this tempeh thing, which he assures me is "not only vegan, but also vegetarian!" (o rly?) But he keeps switching between telling me it's tempeh and telling me it's tofu. I got super uncomfortable because I was being super high pressured to order some food I didn't want that was more expensive than what I did want. They did comp our drinks, which was nice, but we left.

We ended up going to an Italian place, which I didn't even think about it -- makes their own pasta. So the pasta has egg in it. And the only thing I could get was a salad. And a lemoncello martini.

I wonder if my friend just assumes that I can never find any food to eat no matter where I go now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:59 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

torque wrote:
I took the fam to a weekend popup restaurant at a local yoga place (yeah, yeah, i should have known better, but i am naive, and someone recommended it highly) and I would like to inform you:
HEALTH BULLETIN: drinking water with your meal will CANCEL OUT all the health benefits of vegetarianism.

How do I know this?
Because Mr Torque was getting thirsty and desperate and the only liquid was soup or a little bit of green juice, and when I suggested that he looked like he was going to cry, so we flagged down the owner hoping to get a bottle of water or something.
Instead, he served me The Great Truths of Vegetarian Health.

And because I am a truly horrible person, and I won't be going back (the food was meh for the price, too many sprouts and not enough salt), when he wrapped up his explanation in his kind, velvety Bob Vila voice, "and that's why we don't serve juice", I said:
"It would actually be really great if you had soda. Coke, especially. Maybe diet too."

mwuahaha. I thought his eyes were going to roll up in his head.
We didn't get the nice hippy small talk everyone else did when we paid the tab on the way out, which made it kind of worth it.

Ha ha! How awesomely bisque-y, I love it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:43 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

family is upset i declined BBQ food over the weekend... they bought this nasty contraption that hangs chicken legs over the grill and then got offended that i didn't want to eat the vegetables that were underneath. apparently, 'i am too sensitive' and 'unsociable' because of this, and must be a 'social outcast'. overheard sister fabricating a story where i ran into the house crying, which definitely never happened. sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:36 pm 
Semen Strong

2 vegan mom friends talking about how they don't vaccinate their kids because of the eggs in vaccines and the animal testing. Instead, they use Manuka Honey.

Too much woo, you guys. Too much woo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:48 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Tofulish wrote:
2 vegan mom friends talking about how they don't vaccinate their kids because of the eggs in vaccines and the animal testing. Instead, they use Manuka Honey.

What? How? Don't tell me they inject it.
No, seriously...DON'T tell me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:28 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:

Oh my forking god stop it people! STOP IT!

Eta: I'm guessing I know at least one of those moms. Blargh.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:37 pm 
Semen Strong

You do! I love lots of the woo vegans, but when they start going on about woo, I just want to roll my eyes and shake them yelling "MANUKA HONEY WON'T PREVENT POLIO, YOU IDIOT." Vaccines aren't just used against allergies to pollen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:47 pm 
***LIES!!!***

In fact, I had no idea there was a vaccine against pollen allergies. If there is, I WANT IT.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:56 pm 
Semen Strong

BLARGH FINE! I guess they are immunotherapy/ allergen desensitization not vaccines? #pppppftpedantry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:57 am 

Tofulish wrote:

So wait, they're so level 11 supervegans that they will let their kids get ill. But they are fine with honey?! Is there something I am not understanding about this word "manuka"?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:44 am 
Seagull of the PPK

edited because it`s not funny. I have family members who are the same way, and should know better.

manuka honey comes from bees feeding on some special tree in new zealand, and maybe in one study might have shown some antibacterial effects on MRSA.

(from dr wiki)
In the wake of the high premium paid for mānuka honey, the majority of product now labelled as such worldwide is counterfeit or adulterated. According to research by UMFHA, the main trade association of New Zealand mānuka honey producers, whereas 1,700 tons of mānuka honey are made there annually representing almost all the world's production, some 10,000 tons of produce is being sold internationally as mānuka honey, including 1,800 tons in the UK.[12]

One reason for bona fide mānuka honeys to vary in the last regard is that the bees cannot be forced to forage only on mānuka flowers, especially given the pressures toward maximal exploitation of known blooms. So intense is the demand for the correct trees that New Zealand honey farmers have been using helicopters to locate them and deploy hives nearby.[12] There have been increasing turf disputes between producers operating close to large mānuka tree clumps, and also cases reported of many hives being variously sabotaged or stolen.[13]

So lemme get this straight-
it may have antimicrobial activities, but not on say, polio, hep or whooping cough
You truck it around the world like Fiji water, so it's super eco friendly
the bees are not just enslaved but even told what to eat
there are gang turf disputes over beehives because there aren't enough trees
aaaand it's probably just CORN SYRUP (dah dah daaaaaaaaah).

It's wrong in pretty much every single way, but it justifies my belief in hocus-pocus and allows me to be totally victimized by my irrational fears about vaccination, so I will trust my child's health to it. After all, if it costs $100 in Whole Foods, it has to be real.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:31 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
BLARGH FINE! I guess they are immunotherapy/ allergen desensitization not vaccines? #pppppftpedantry

Hahaha! I actually just thought your last sentence above was a joke - like, there is no relationship between vaccines and the idea that honey might help seasonal allergies.

But really, if my allergies were that bad, sign me up for the desensitization injections.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:53 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Torque, your response to the dry hippie made my day. I give you a million high fives across continents and coasts!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:59 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Tofulish wrote:

Sigged.

I, too, cannot comprehend the disconnect between "super natural eco vegan mom" and "giving faddish, likely-counterfeit animal products with dubious medicinal properties, produced and marketed through environmental exploitation, to my most precious heart of my heart."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:06 pm 
Semen Strong

I just feel like when you stop believing in science and evidence-based medicine, then you will believe in anything.

And when we make all the vegan foods sound so dangerous, while ignoring the abuse and the dangers inherent in eating meat and dairy, it just makes it easier for the crunchy moms to justify being paleo. Can't drink almond milk because carageenan! Can't eat tofu because boobs! Can't eat beans and grains because phytic acid! Might as well eat arsenic soaked chicken nuggets and grassfed butter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:18 pm 

ugh, speaking of woo, someone posted on facebook a thing about starbucks pumpkin lattes and how "toxic" they are cause of the carrageenan and toxic levels of sugar.

I don't even want to link to it because it's so stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:22 pm 
BAD PASS

I saw one, but my only real problem with it was that it's no longer vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:39 pm 
Semen Strong

I saw that one, and it was so inconsistent - in one section it said that even the soy version of the Pumpkin Spice Latte supposedly has condensed milk in it, but then in another they listed the ingredients of the regular version (had condensed milk) and the soy (didn't).

But calling 50g of sugar "toxic" pretty much means you have no credibility with me. Because you clearly don't understand what "toxic" means.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:06 am 
BAD PASS

My vegan coworker made banana muffins and she's giving them to everyone this morning. So instead of saying "thank you" as is the custom here, everyone is just giving her shiitake about them being vegan. Someone just said to me, "I guess these are like, a million percent vegan, huh?" while making a face. I replied that muffins are pretty straightforward to make vegan. "Yeah, but how can you make muffins without butter and eggs??"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:22 am 
Seagull of the PPK

this is why i don't even tell people, and why my peanut butter cheesecake is being made for my birthday AT HOME and not the party we have with extended family. fork that noise.

my aunt made yokan, which is adzuki bean candy, which you don't even need a jelling agent for, but she used not only agar agar but also red gelatin "because it needs the color". I got to stop the yokan going into my mouth as she said this, i said "gelatin" and she says, no agar... her husband, standing behind her, holds up the real gelatin package while mouthing "she's lying". thanks, auntie.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:26 am 
BAD PASS

Well, you know gelatin IS the only way to get something to be red!

*coughcough*

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:09 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Oh god, that pumpkin spice latte meme is making my head hurt. My favorite part though is the, "It doesn't even have REAL PUMPKIN!!!" Firstly, the flavor is pumpkin spice, not pumpkin, meaning it is flavored the spices one finds in pumpkin pie. Second of all, I can think of few worse things to put in my coffee than pureed vegetables. No real pumpkin is a plus.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498 ... 546  Next