| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 495, 496, 497, 498, 499, 500, 501 ... 547  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:13 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Amy wrote:
lepelaar wrote:
There are restaurants that make tofu scrambles? Mind blown.

Ha, that's how I feel in this conversation. I would kill for even a bland tofu scramble at any restaurant around here. Or anything vegan at all. I miss going out for breakfast!
Amy, whereabouts are you in MA?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:04 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Desdemona wrote:

The south shore, an hour from Boston. Things I'm interested in generally cut this area a wide berth, unfortunately.

But we have a Moe's! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:29 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Amy wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

The south shore, an hour from Boston. Things I'm interested in generally cut this area a wide berth, unfortunately.

But we have a Moe's! ;)
Wow, that's too bad! I feel like being vegan is getting easier by the week in MA. My partner and I are lucky to work in Boston and Somerville, respectively, but even here at home, in the relative backwater of Worcester, we have a large and growing number of options. South shore needs to step up its game!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:35 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I hate that I am afraid of spiders. Like very afraid. I see one and and I run from the room screaming. In fact, just typing this is giving the chills. I probably have a legit phobia.

Large wolf spiders keep appearing in my basement. There will be two or three down there at a time. I'm too afraid to move them outside. However, anyone who I alert of their presence isn't so kind to them :/ My computer is in the basement, and as I have typed this, I have probably scanned the floor about 10 times for those things.

I've put peppermint oil down which helps for a little bit, but when the smell wears off they return.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:35 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Restaurant, I super duper appreciate it that you provided a vegan option AND marked it on your menu. But I am a grown asparagus woman and a 272 calorie salad is not even a snack, much less a full on meal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:06 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

i do not like this article, i can see how it can be twisted in other people's minds:

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-liv ... go-too-far

also the person in the article talks about god a bit too much for my taste in the comments.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:50 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Kal, wolf spiders are scary looking!! I'd be freaked if they were crawling around my place too!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:22 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I tried a chocolate coconut yoghurt yesterday, and now I can see why everyone was bisqueing about stevia in the yoghurt shortage thread.

I was expecting something rich and creamy and chocolatey, and instead it was bitter and sour! Maybe I should have put this there, but I feel like it's more of a vegan peeve because manufacturers sometimes seem to think that making something vegan is good enough, without a care to what it tastes like. And it was £1.99 for 125g!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:32 am 
Nooch of Earl

I'm at the point where, shiitake, I'm old, I don't have many years left, and if a "vegan friendly" breakfast restaurant only has a tofu scramble I just get the sads.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:38 am 
Nailed to the V

dropscone wrote:
I tried a chocolate coconut yoghurt yesterday, and now I can see why everyone was bisqueing about stevia in the yoghurt shortage thread.

I was expecting something rich and creamy and chocolatey, and instead it was bitter and sour! Maybe I should have put this there, but I feel like it's more of a vegan peeve because manufacturers sometimes seem to think that making something vegan is good enough, without a care to what it tastes like. And it was £1.99 for 125g!

Is that the coyo one? I had one of those and thought it sucked!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:54 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Rosie wrote:
dropscone wrote:

Ugh. Me too. I was well annoyed, 'cause it looked yummy and I'd picked up one for my boyfriend, as well, so I'd just spunked 4 quid on gross yoghurt.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:01 am 
Nailed to the V

Disappearing Ink wrote:
Rosie wrote:
dropscone wrote:

Ugh. Me too. I was well annoyed, 'cause it looked yummy and I'd picked up one for my boyfriend, as well, so I'd just spunked 4 quid on gross yoghurt.

I know, right! My friend and I bought one each and were gutted we'd wasted £4 on really crepe yogurt. I mean, how can you even get chocolate and coconut so wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:08 am 
Not NOT A Furry

annak wrote:
I'm at the point where, shiitake, I'm old, I don't have many years left, and if a "vegan friendly" breakfast restaurant only has a tofu scramble I just get the sads.

Word. To earn that label, they have to have at least one sweet and one savory option with the same degree of restaurantiness (as opposed to I could make this at home) as the non-vegan options.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:57 am 
Flounceiad 2011

annak wrote:
This is how I feel about Daiya on vegan restaurant menus. It's nice when omni or even vegetarian places offer it as an option, but if a place is actually all vegan, I feel they should make more of an effort than it takes to rip open a package of sweet, slimy shreds and then charge me double their cost. Unless I'm traveling, or out with omnivores at a place with limited choices, I'm disinclined to spend money on something I could make better at home.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:53 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

mollyjade wrote:
Restaurant, I super duper appreciate it that you provided a vegan option AND marked it on your menu. But I am a grown asparagus woman and a 272 calorie salad is not even a snack, much less a full on meal.

Amen all day long to this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:00 am 
Nooch of Earl

Desdemona wrote:
annak wrote:
This is how I feel about Daiya on vegan restaurant menus. It's nice when omni or even vegetarian places offer it as an option, but if a place is actually all vegan, I feel they should make more of an effort than it takes to rip open a package of sweet, slimy shreds and then charge me double their cost. Unless I'm traveling, or out with omnivores at a place with limited choices, I'm disinclined to spend money on something I could make better at home.

Word. I'm fairly certain there are at least 5 or 6 posts in this and the Daiya thread in which I bemoan the replacement of roasted potatoes (mmmm) with daiya-y grits on the Sticky Fingers french toast platter.

And I agree that restaurants should be able to cook better than I can. I don't feel like that's setting an unfairly high bar or anything. For all the moaning and wailing omnis do about "fake food," they sure are bad at coming up with vegan options that are made of vegetables.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:36 am 
Saggy Butt

I realize that this particular peeve is not new to anyone, but goddamn is it annoying to have to listen to a bunch of omnis go on about how "gross" your food looks. Went to a "beer & brats" bbq this past weekend and no sooner had I tossed my field roast sausage on the grill when the comments started. It seriously went on for like ten minutes straight. I tried to shrug it off, laugh along, and not be some humourless killjoy but seriously people, fork off and find something more interesting to talk about.

Also, I do not understand how my sausage could possibly contain anything more disgusting than the ones they were cooking up. I'm going to memorize the list of ingredients on a package of hot dogs and just bust that out next time this happens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:22 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Yeah I don't think I will ever stop getting annoyed at people who insist vegan food is "gross". Last year at my wedding we had a buffet which had some of the redwoods fried "chicken"... My brother later told me that one guy he was sitting with ate it and said he loved it; when my brother told him it was vegan you'd have thought he'd said it was arsenic the way he reacted.

Also, my mums cookies are "accidentally" vegan, yet I've had people say they like her "normal" version better when they see me eating the "vegan" version, and they definitely don't believe they are one and the same...

Its like there's a mental block, no vegan food could possibly taste good, right?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:36 pm 
WELFARIST!

I was at a friend's pool on Monday, and I brought veggie dogs to eat. After seeing me eat one, the host said that he was going to get me to eat meat one day. T was like, 'No, dude, you won't.' Then later the same guy asked me if I ever just felt like 'splurging'. I said that for me it was more like compromising my morals, not splurging...which was met with much awkwardness.

I've also been hanging on to one from work for awhile. A couple of vegans work at the daycare. One of them was talking to me in the kitchen last week and said, 'You do what I couldn't' and when I asked him what, he said, 'Cook the meat.' I just...taking this job was not an easy decision for me, for that precise reason. I am seriously bummed that it is a part of my job. Now I'm realizing that this decision to do this thing is something for other vegans to judge about me.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:42 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

allularpunk wrote:
I was at a friend's pool on Monday, and I brought veggie dogs to eat. After seeing me eat one, the host said that he was going to get me to eat meat one day. T was like, 'No, dude, you won't.' Then later the same guy asked me if I ever just felt like 'splurging'. I said that for me it was more like compromising my morals, not splurging...which was met with much awkwardness.
It's as if you were to ask someone in a monogamous relationship if they ever just felt like "splurging" with someone other than their partner, and then insisted you were going to "get them" to do that one day. You know - live a little!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:28 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

vixki wrote:
Yeah I don't think I will ever stop getting annoyed at people who insist vegan food is "gross". Last year at my wedding we had a buffet which had some of the redwoods fried "chicken"... My brother later told me that one guy he was sitting with ate it and said he loved it; when my brother told him it was vegan you'd have thought he'd said it was arsenic the way he reacted.

Also, my mums cookies are "accidentally" vegan, yet I've had people say they like her "normal" version better when they see me eating the "vegan" version, and they definitely don't believe they are one and the same...

Its like there's a mental block, no vegan food could possibly taste good, right?

I don't get this. If someone has a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch, guess what? That's a vegan meal! I know people who eat a banana in the morning before work if they are sort on time. Also a vegan meal. Anytime I make a dessert everyone always feel the need to ask me what's in it. They seem surprised when I say flour, sugar, canola oil, water, vanilla, baking soda, and whatever other common thing you would use in baking.

I have a family member from Sicily who makes a side dish that uses lard. How does that not gross anyone else out but a dish that contains no meat or dairy or egg does? (And I don't go, ew lard! That's gross!) Any many times there will be a salad at a party that doesn't contain any animal products. My mom makes a zucchini dish that is accidentally vegan.

I wonder if I said plant based if that would make a difference? Though I hate the term plant based because that just sounds like the majority of the dish uses plants. Like when I hear plant based diet that sounds like a diet that is mostly plants with animal products every now and then.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:11 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

allularpunk wrote:
taking this job was not an easy decision for me, for that precise reason. I am seriously bummed that it is a part of my job. Now I'm realizing that this decision to do this thing is something for other vegans to judge about me.

that's really a shame. I am glad you have a supportive online community (or at least, i hope we are a supportive community) because that sucks when you feel like they're coming at you from all sides. You do the best you can, and being judgey is not a flattering trait in anyone, no matter what they eat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:47 pm 
Nailed to the V

allularpunk wrote:
taking this job was not an easy decision for me, for that precise reason. I am seriously bummed that it is a part of my job. Now I'm realizing that this decision to do this thing is something for other vegans to judge about me.

That must be so frustrating. What, exactly, do they expect you to do? Be jobless? Hold out for a "vegan job" and pay your bills in goodwill? Jeez, people need to shush sometimes.

My partner took a job as a cook in a burger place a couple years ago and he HATED it, but it's what he had to do to support himself, because a) there aren't many vegan places in Sac and none of them were hiring anyway and b) jobs were (are) pretty thin on the ground here.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Rosie wrote:
Disappearing Ink wrote:
Rosie wrote:

I know, right! My friend and I bought one each and were gutted we'd wasted £4 on really crepe yogurt. I mean, how can you even get chocolate and coconut so wrong?

I'm so glad I keep not buying that stuff! Every time I see it, I pick it up and look at it for a whole, but I ultimately put it back because I just don't trust it. And now I know my instincts were correct!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

Thanks, guys. Ultimately, taking this job allowed me to not have to work 3 jobs to get by...and get my life back a little bit. I don't expect it to be something that I do forever, but in the meantime I does what I gotta does.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 495, 496, 497, 498, 499, 500, 501 ... 547  Next