| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 521  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:41 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Gulliver wrote:
veggiepalooza wrote:
People who talk about ~local sustainable meat~ but eat at mcdonalds an smoke cigarettes.
I get annoyed with people who swear blind they always ask where their meat comes from etc, despite not having done so five minutes previously when we were ordering food...
This is my partner's sister, who is otherwise extremely cool: she's a cultural anthropologist who built a totally green, sustainable house in the middle of the woods, her husband drives a car that runs on used cooking oil, they grow veggies, etc. So she's all about this locavore stuff, but then she just randomly orders a chicken caesar salad with no questions asked, and the proceeds to ask my (vegan) BF if he'd like some...since he could just pick the meat off. OY.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:02 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

FootFace wrote:
Although, to be fair, it is kind of offensive to do something for yourself that doesn't have any impact on anyone else whatsoever. I mean, how would you feel if, like, your friend, say.. got a haircut? Pretty furious and disgusted, right?

Lolz.

A coworker is always telling me how proud she is to have made a vegan dish because she is going to lose weight. She always asks me what I eat, and how much I exercise (I eat well 75% of the time and crepe 25%, and I don't really exercise). I just wish she was interested in veganism beyond losing weight, because I am NOT a for-health/thinness vegan.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:50 pm 
Tofu Pup

alden wrote:
kkoltcz wrote:
torque wrote:
lots of us are not-skinny vegans, so welcome, and welcome to veganism.

And none of my business, but it sounds like your houseguest doesn't know how being a guest and receiving someone else's charity works. If it were me, she'd get the same talking to i'd give my twelve year old. as for screaming in your face, i'd be out there changing the locks, auntie or no.

Indeed- her hubby has been apologizing for her a lot lately. I had a talk with her after hearing from 2 friends on 2 separate occasions that she had given them a tour of my fridge and ranted about what was now in it (we have separate fridges what the fizzle). Turns out she's peeved she now has to buy milk and eggs and stuff. She demanded we separate the pantry which I think was suppose to scare me or something, but I'm not sure what I would want her cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup and hamburger helper for...

I'm in no way saying that your houseguest is justified in acting that way (and she would've received an ultimatum of "well if you can find someone else to house you that doesn't offend your sensibilities in such a way, go for it" if she had been in my house), but my uninformed assessment of the situation would be that it sounds like she's having a really hard time dealing with the severe change in their life and the huge loss of control over her situation and is lashing out at the choices you are making because, well, you have the capacity to make them.

This is why I'm as patient as I have been with her, I know she's going through a lot. It's just hard when you're going through something too and someone who is suppose to be your best friend is making it 1000 times harder.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:48 pm 
Grandfathered In

Desdemona wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
veggiepalooza wrote:
People who talk about ~local sustainable meat~ but eat at mcdonalds an smoke cigarettes.
I get annoyed with people who swear blind they always ask where their meat comes from etc, despite not having done so five minutes previously when we were ordering food...
This is my partner's sister, who is otherwise extremely cool: she's a cultural anthropologist who built a totally green, sustainable house in the middle of the woods, her husband drives a car that runs on used cooking oil, they grow veggies, etc. So she's all about this locavore stuff, but then she just randomly orders a chicken caesar salad with no questions asked, and the proceeds to ask my (vegan) BF if he'd like some...since he could just pick the meat off. OY.

It is a well-known maxim—call it FootFace's Law:

Locavores aren't.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:16 am 
WELFARIST!

b.vicious wrote:
kimba wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
I am tired of listening to vegans who talk about how compassionate they are to animals and then fail to extend that to human animals. Goddamn.

I'm tired of the word compassionate. Sometimes it is overused to the point of losing its meaning (especially on other vegan groups, not the PPK).

On that note, I dislike "cruelty free." It's great when a product isn't tested on animals but animals aren't the only potential victims of cruelty. I realize it's just a marketing thing but it gets on my nerves.

The term "healthy" is driving me up a wall. What the hell is healthy anyway? Just because your home version of Oreo cookies is less junkier than store bought Oreos, it doesn't necessarily make them healthy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mr. Shankly wrote:
The term "healthy" is driving me up a wall. What the hell is healthy anyway? Just because your home version of Oreo cookies is less junkier than store bought Oreos, it doesn't necessarily make them healthy.

Right? I'm constantly raising an eyebrow at all these recipes on Pinterest labeled "healthy" that are full of nasty crepe. Replacing full fat cheese and cream with low fat cheese and cream doesn't make your weird cheesy non-vegetable-containing casserole thing healthy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:16 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I don't much care for the term healthy but i'd rather have that than "Guilt Free". I hate hate hate that there's an idea that people should feel guilty about eating anything (ethics aside).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:21 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Efcliz wrote:
I don't much care for the term healthy but i'd rather have that than "Guilt Free". I hate hate hate that there's an idea that people should feel guilty about eating anything (ethics aside).

YES! This drives me insane!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:31 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

On the other hand, it drives me nuts when someone posts something (usually on facebook) like "look at this delicious cake I made" and people are all "but that's not healthy." Ummm, it's cake!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:55 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Efcliz wrote:

On that same note: fattening. I made one of the cakes for my mom's surprise birthday a few years ago and one of her friends said she wanted to try the vegan cake "because it wouldn't be considered fattening." Who even uses that word anymore?! Also: cake is cake, vegan or otherwise.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:57 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Yeah, fattening is a dumb-ass word.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

kilgore trout wrote:
On that same note: fattening. I made one of the cakes for my mom's surprise birthday a few years ago and one of her friends said she wanted to try the vegan cake "because it wouldn't be considered fattening." Who even uses that word anymore?! Also: cake is cake, vegan or otherwise.

Yes! A friend with dairy allergies posted a picture of a vegan cake she'd gotten for her birthday, and someone posted, "But that just means they took the only healthy stuff out of it!"

Because eggs and milk are so good for you.

IT'S CAKE.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:16 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Chicki wrote:
I have exactly zero vegan/vegetarian friends in real life. I am scared to make them. Seriously, the experiences some people have are awful with other vegans.

I have made lots of friends vegan friends here in Austin and most of them are the most wonderful people I know. And the most dependable. Also, a good way to meet fellow sugar and animal lovers is to have bake sales.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:42 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

YES! The healthy thing! That's one of my big pet peeves. I like a lot of the recipes, too, but I hate calling something a 'healthy' cookie. It's still a cookie. And don't even get me started on muffins. I love sweets, but like, don't be in denial. Just be moderate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:50 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

kilgore trout wrote:
Efcliz wrote:

When I posted a picture of my beautiful vegan, gluten-free birthday cake (GF because it came from a GF bakery who just has delicious vegan stuff), I had a commenter tell me that was disappointing because what's the point of cake if it's healthy. Um, it's cake. It's full of oil and sugar. Neither gluten free nor vegan automatically denotes healthy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:58 am 
Grandfathered In

I always include tobacco and staples in my cakes*, because what's the point if it's healthy?

*I don't bake cakes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

this one has probably been done to death in this topic but it's really irritating me lately. it really drives me nuts when people tell me what i can/cannot eat based on what they think the word vegan means.
it's usually some weird version of what they think gluten-free is.

someone at work likes to have usually candy in a bowl on top of the filing cabinet behind her desk. a lot of time i cant eat it. no big deal.
but i guess she went to the grocery store and saw some granola bars that had that like eco-friendly type marketing on it (ie pictures of wild animals on the package and the words ORGANIC stamped all over it) so she bought them and brought them to work and then looked at the ingredients and they have milk in them. she went over this whole long story with me about how it says organic on it and eco-friendly, and blah blah blah and then she was like "IT EVEN SAYS GLUTEN-FREE RIGHT ON IT"
this is the same person who repeatedly tells me i cant eat rice or pasta (this is their version of gluten free i think).
so for the 80th time i say "im not gluten-free" so she was like "yeah i know but i figured it was the same thing"

*sigh*

i mean her intentions were really nice.....but it's like DUDE WHY DONT YOU LISTEN!!!!

i kinda wish people wouldnt try and buy things with me in mind cause it always ends up super awkward.
i am really quite fine with being left out of communal eating. for real.

work bought me a vegan cake for my birthday from Whole Foods (ick their cakes are so bleeehhhhhhh, but the thought was of course super nice so i pretended it was good). and someone said it was a vegan cake and the pres of the company was like "oh so there's no flour in it?"

le sigh.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:30 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ndpittman wrote:
YES! The healthy thing! That's one of my big pet peeves. I like a lot of the recipes, too, but I hate calling something a 'healthy' cookie. It's still a cookie. And don't even get me started on muffins. I love sweets, but like, don't be in denial. Just be moderate.

i baked the chocolate crinkle cookies from VCIYCJ for a party once and they were a huge hit. one super omni/probably a carnivore dude was realy into them and someone told him they were vegan. and he was like "ARE YOU GONNA TELL ME THERE'S SPINACH IN HERE?!?!?!?" and i said no they were cookies and not really healthy they just had no dairy in them.
then later after his like 10th cookie he was like "you gotta share the recipe with my gf, she's really into the healthy cooking stuff"

yup. those cookies are made of kale, lima beans, and tofu. IT'S MAGIC!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:02 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

LisaPunk wrote:
i kinda wish people wouldnt try and buy things with me in mind cause it always ends up super awkward.

I should really make a sign that says this and just carry it around with me, cause I feel the same way.

My partner says that I am so awkward to be around during social situations, that is why nobody invites me out anymore. I don't make a big deal, I just quitely order a salad. Or, I just eat ahead of time and drink beer or something. I dont make a big deal out of it, but apparently it REALLY BOTHERS PEOPLE. Like so much that they don't want to be around me if there is food involved.

Really, I don't care what you are eating, I don't feel left out. I am happy with my beer. If it makes YOU uncomfortable to eat steak in front of ME, then it's you that has the problem.

I don't make a big deal out of it. I pretty much refuse to discuss the politics of veganism while people are eating, I think it is rude, but apparently NOT doing that is equally rude and socially awkward? Maybe I should ask Dear Abby. (or not)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:04 pm 

LisaPunk wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

i baked the chocolate crinkle cookies from VCIYCJ for a party once and they were a huge hit. one super omni/probably a carnivore dude was realy into them and someone told him they were vegan. and he was like "ARE YOU GONNA TELL ME THERE'S SPINACH IN HERE?!?!?!?" and i said no they were cookies and not really healthy they just had no dairy in them.
then later after his like 10th cookie he was like "you gotta share the recipe with my gf, she's really into the healthy cooking stuff"

yup. those cookies are made of kale, lima beans, and tofu. IT'S MAGIC!

YES! Or like, I have a recipe for blondies with chickpeas in them, but they still have a load of sugar, peanut butter, and chocolate chips. They're not horrible for you, but it's still a treat. (Plus if you eat the whole pan you get really gassy. Um, what?) http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/18/chocolate-chip-blondies-and-theyre-good-for-you/ Here's the recipe. (ETA: Of course, it's a whole blog on "healthy" desserts, but some of them are just tasty!)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Chicki wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

I should really make a sign that says this and just carry it around with me, cause I feel the same way.

My partner says that I am so awkward to be around during social situations, that is why nobody invites me out anymore. I don't make a big deal, I just quitely order a salad. Or, I just eat ahead of time and drink beer or something. I dont make a big deal out of it, but apparently it REALLY BOTHERS PEOPLE. Like so much that they don't want to be around me if there is food involved.

Really, I don't care what you are eating, I don't feel left out. I am happy with my beer. If it makes YOU uncomfortable to eat steak in front of ME, then it's you that has the problem.

I don't make a big deal out of it. I pretty much refuse to discuss the politics of veganism while people are eating, I think it is rude, but apparently NOT doing that is equally rude and socially awkward? Maybe I should ask Dear Abby. (or not)

yes! this is my life. i felt kind of like a jerk after posting that cause it sounded whiny/complainy when people are just trying to be nice but it's like a constant thing that happens.
plus I NEVER bring up veganism unless there is a reason to (like "i cant eat that im a vegan") but people CONSTANTLY bring it up for me.
im like "im totally cool sitting here in the corner eating my salad being a wallflower!"
ive never gone anywhere EXPECTING people to serve me food or have something available for me. i always make sure i am taken care of on my own.

oh wells.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:10 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

When people are talking about purebred animals and I have to sit on my hands to keep from saying "YOU SOUND LIKE HITLER." Because invoking Hitler makes you automatically lose an argument. But FFS, 'purebred animals are more special' and so forth just makes me want to throw up. Imagine someone talking about their child like that. I guess that's not strictly a vegan peeve, but you know.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:55 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

^^my neighbor used to like my (purebred) whippet a lot more than my (mutt) dog for exactly that type of reason. she would go on and on about how the no-good mixed blood dog was always harrassing the purebred because he was mixed and such a dirty bad dog. That we should keep the purebred inside because she was more special and deserved better care. I finally asked her if she thought I should keep the purebred dog inside the house with my mixed-race kid, or if that would make it less special for super special pureblood dog.
She totally didn't get it. Not even when I spelled it out for her. My mixed race daughter did though, and I am soooooo happy I don't have to talk to this stupid neighbor any more!!(yay moving)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:07 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I will be walking all three dogs and people will say how pretty Harley is and say nothing about Chester and Fawkes. And she IS very pretty, but my other two dogs are cute as fork.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:45 pm 

MBM, you have some cute animals. Fact.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 521  Next