| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 547  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:06 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Chicki wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
i kinda wish people wouldnt try and buy things with me in mind cause it always ends up super awkward.
i am really quite fine with being left out of communal eating. for real.

I should really make a sign that says this and just carry it around with me, cause I feel the same way.

My partner says that I am so awkward to be around during social situations, that is why nobody invites me out anymore. I don't make a big deal, I just quitely order a salad. Or, I just eat ahead of time and drink beer or something. I dont make a big deal out of it, but apparently it REALLY BOTHERS PEOPLE. Like so much that they don't want to be around me if there is food involved.

Really, I don't care what you are eating, I don't feel left out. I am happy with my beer. If it makes YOU uncomfortable to eat steak in front of ME, then it's you that has the problem.

I don't make a big deal out of it. I pretty much refuse to discuss the politics of veganism while people are eating, I think it is rude, but apparently NOT doing that is equally rude and socially awkward? Maybe I should ask Dear Abby. (or not)

That sounds like a pretty mean thing for your partner to say to you!

I've met people like that. Basically, the fact that vegans exist seems to offend them, and since they don't think they're doing anything wrong, they decide it must be something you're doing. It sucks. But it's not your fault!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:32 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Efcliz wrote:
I don't much care for the term healthy but i'd rather have that than "Guilt Free". I hate hate hate that there's an idea that people should feel guilty about eating anything (ethics aside).
Even worse is when a foodstuff (generally chocolate) is referred to as "sinful," with that icky "oh my god this is so sinful it's better than sex I know I shouldn't but I just can't resist putting an unnecessary and inappropriate moral/sexual valence on a forking slice of cake blahblahblah" tone. I always feel vaguely uncomfortable and embarrassed because it's just food, yo; get a grip.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:52 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I will be walking all three dogs and people will say how pretty Harley is and say nothing about Chester and Fawkes. And she IS very pretty, but my other two dogs are cute as fork.

Yes! I hate this! I have a Sheltie (nutty neurotic crazy dog) and a mixed German Shepard / Retriever mutt (sweetest, gentlest, kindest soul) and people give the Sheltie all the attention, chasing me down to pet him and calling him Lassie, and they ignore my poor mutt, though she is the sweetest most lovable dog ever :( It makes me so sad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:54 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Desdemona wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
I don't much care for the term healthy but i'd rather have that than "Guilt Free". I hate hate hate that there's an idea that people should feel guilty about eating anything (ethics aside).
Even worse is when a foodstuff (generally chocolate) is referred to as "sinful," with that icky "oh my god this is so sinful it's better than sex I know I shouldn't but I just can't resist putting an unnecessary and inappropriate moral/sexual valence on a forking slice of cake blahblahblah" tone. I always feel vaguely uncomfortable and embarrassed because it's just food, yo; get a grip.

The sexy chocolate ads annoy me greatly, but have you seen the one for Lays potato chips? A woman sits around biting her lip and looking around to see if anyone is watching before being seduced - I mean, biting into a damn potato chip. Haaaaate.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:21 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Who told my daughter the joke that "you don't have to ask a vegan if they're vegan, they'll be sure to tell you"?

I NEVER am pushy, and i don't really appreciate being classified as such.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:57 am 
WRETCHED

erynne936 wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
I will be walking all three dogs and people will say how pretty Harley is and say nothing about Chester and Fawkes. And she IS very pretty, but my other two dogs are cute as fork.

Yes! I hate this! I have a Sheltie (nutty neurotic crazy dog) and a mixed German Shepard / Retriever mutt (sweetest, gentlest, kindest soul) and people give the Sheltie all the attention, chasing me down to pet him and calling him Lassie, and they ignore my poor mutt, though she is the sweetest most lovable dog ever :( It makes me so sad.

I have this with my beagle. He is more interested in his walk or other dogs than people who think he is soooo cute. My corgi mix loves people so much and she is beautiful. Everyone talks about the beagle though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:05 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

torque wrote:
Who told my daughter the joke that "you don't have to ask a vegan if they're vegan, they'll be sure to tell you"?

Someone bought me a mug with that on once. I accidentally broke it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:40 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Efcliz wrote:
torque wrote:

Someone bought me a mug with that on once. I accidentally broke it.

I love this.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:53 am 

Anyone see the ad (forget what it was for) where it defines VIP as Vegans Inhaling Porterhouse and the two vegans are sitting in a restaurant, wafting the scent of steak into their noses? What the fork?

And torque, I've heard that joke from people who had no idea I was vegan and then I smile and tell them, much to their shock. It also kills the joke.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

torque wrote:

This joke is all over facebook, and of course the moment you call them out on being douchebags, you're reinforcing the joke.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:46 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I expect we've already had this, but when you get introduced to new people as "this is X, she's vegan". Like that's my main attribute. And I happen to have a shitty cold and wasn't wearing make-up so probably look really unhealthy today. When I feebly protested she then went on to say what I actually do at work, and that I make things and blah blah, but urgh, it's annoying!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:06 pm 
Saggy Butt

GymClassZero wrote:
Anyone see the ad (forget what it was for) where it defines VIP as Vegans Inhaling Porterhouse and the two vegans are sitting in a restaurant, wafting the scent of steak into their noses? What the fork?

That was for some hotel in Vegas - I was there recently and it was on a huge billboard, I think at the Monte Carlo? But yeah, how in the hell does that sound like a good idea? Sure, what I really want to do when I'm in Vegas is eat a huge chunk of something disgusting that's going to make me massively ill. It actually turned my stomach, looking at it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:46 pm 

Yeah! I was first perplexed, and then pissed off.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:13 pm 
Semen Strong

People who look at a beautiful wild turkey just minding its own business, eating grass with its family, and immediately talk about how they is exactly what they want for Thanksgiving - an organic, grain-fed bird. Who looks at a beautiful wild animal and thinks - YUM?

Oh that's right, my friend who asked me to help her go back to being vegan.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:29 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

A cookbook author I liked from omni days gushes about how she squealed with delight over seeing little lambs and calves because she looooooooves them so much. But she has recipes for both in her books.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:03 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Whole Foods is waxing poetic about grass fed beef all over their paper bags. Lame!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:50 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Tofulish wrote:
People who look at a beautiful wild turkey just minding its own business, eating grass with its family, and immediately talk about how they is exactly what they want for Thanksgiving - an organic, grain-fed bird. Who looks at a beautiful wild animal and thinks - YUM?

Oh that's right, my friend who asked me to help her go back to being vegan.

I have a vendetta against turkeys, but even i don't look at them and want to eat them (a "family" [using my cousin Vinnie's Cake Boss pronunciation, mind you, fambily] of New Jersey turkeys broke my ribs many years ago and i'm still pissed).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:46 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

Efcliz wrote:

This! It really drives me crazy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:36 am 

Facebook friend posting pics of dead things, like pheasants. According to the comments, absolutely forking no one wants to see that. What a way to start the day.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:36 am 
Not NOT A Furry

GymClassZero wrote:
Facebook friend posting pics of dead things, like pheasants. According to the comments, absolutely forking no one wants to see that. What a way to start the day.

Living in Idaho, everyone and their cousin hunts. Around this time of year, this is very prevalent on FB for me, as well. Parents posting pics of there kids with their first deer, elk, etc...ugh. It makes me sad.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:15 pm 
Tofu Pup

Quarantined, ijustdiedinside, choirqueer All three of you have extremely stupid things written in the text at the bottom of your posts, children may be on here and your encouraging all of em to become degenerate, sex crazed, pathetic garbage like yourselves. If your vegans,vegetarians you should have morals, are any of you even vegans,vegetarians or are you just on here for entertainment, to mess with people, or saving face, or looking to build an illusioned image, or just trying to have sex with a non-meat eater or are you just completely insincere?
People like you are an embarrasment to all of us who are sincere, honest, caring, compassionate and truly want things on our planet to be better, so that no one has to experience suffering, pain, being lied to, or hurt in any other way.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Obvious troll is obvious.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:37 pm 
A Bad Person

Yeah, that's enough of that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:43 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

A friend of mine recently went back to eating meat after being vegan for a couple years. Whatever, it's their body, their life, their decision. What really annoys me is the endless array of "Look! Here's a photo of me eating cheese! Look! Here's a photo of me eating meat! What a relief!" posts on Facebook, and the chorus of "THANK GOD YOU CHANGED YOUR ANNOYING HABITS SO YOU CAN EAT BACON!" type replies to all of them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Roommate's boyfriend has been here all weekend. He's kind of rude and obnoxious. We never made any rules about having animal products in the house, but roommate knows it makes us uncomfortable, so he doesn't buy that stuff, unless it's like take-out from a restaurant on occasion. So last night I made everyone vegan chili dogs, and his boyfriend went out and bought dairy cheese to put on his. We already had daiya. Rude, or am I over-sensitive? I'm already annoyed that there are eggs and cheese in the fridge, but putting it on a vegan meal that a vegan made you in their own home just feels like blatant disrespect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 547  Next