| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12974 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 519  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:43 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

stuckunderhere wrote:
vegantogepii wrote:
I had just gone vegan and my nan, who I live with and is amazingly enthusiastic about vegan stuff, was telling my mum and one of my mum's friends about it.

The friend said "Oh, hippy, saving the planet now is she?"

My nan replied "No, saving her health, since she switched she's had no eczema symptoms and her PCOS problems have practically disappeared."

Shut her up pretty quick. And then she made the connection that her granddaughter was having an allergic reaction to eggs, so nan got to be all superior and tell her all the vegan products out there. It made me laugh so hard.

Then again, my dad was the typical, "What do you eat?" "You eat eggs, right?" "You eat fish, right?"

In the end, I had to show him around my kitchen, "Look, this is what I eat. Do you see any animal products?"

My parents always ask if i eat eggs and dairy? Duude I've been vegan for a year now... you should know this as I'm over here (they live down the street) once a week at least. And then they still think a small amount of something on my plate won't hurt. Noo, I will not eat your animal products, no thank you. I'm fine and very healthy just the way I am.

I have been vegan for more than eight years and my dad always still asks if I can eat stuff like milk chocolate or supermarket cheese buns. I choose to just find it kind of adorable that I have to remind him so often what vegan means. He's legitimately trying to feed me his favourite foods.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:31 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

vijita wrote:
I have been vegan for more than eight years and my dad always still asks if I can eat stuff like milk chocolate or supermarket cheese buns. I choose to just find it kind of adorable that I have to remind him so often what vegan means. He's legitimately trying to feed me his favourite foods.

Ha, my dad still asks me if I want cheese. I don't think he understands that cheese is dairy? It's weird. But I find it more amusing than aggravating.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:40 am 
Semen Strong

I've been vegan for almost 7 years, and my Dad still tries to explain to me that I really love pork. "But, you LOVE bacon!"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:05 pm 
Saggy Butt

My dad still asks if desserts I make contain any dairy (he is supposed to avoid it completely, but usually only does so in the evening). Even my momma rolls her eyes at his question and says "everything she makes is vegan! She never uses milk!"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:27 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

annasrobbie wrote:
Am I the only one who has relatives who actually LIE about if there is animal products in the food or not? I don't live anywhere near my family, but when we sometimes visit for the holiday I certainly never make a big deal about what I can or can't eat. Over Thanksgiving I just asked if there was any animal products in the veggies (and I specified exactly what animal products were because my mom CANNOT understand that butter and cheese are animal products) So I loaded up my plate with veggies that I was told were animal free and after dinner overhear a discussion about how "she sneaked in butter and even an egg" into the veggies. Good for you Mom - I feel respected. I didn't even bother saying anything to her, Christmas is going to be fun when I bring all my own groceries and prepare all my own food - she is probably going to have a major fit.

Yes. An unfortunate incident on thanksgiving one year had me literally get sick at the table. I don't spend Thanksgiving with them anymore (or any holiday where dinner is served) and this was years ago.

They still do it to....last time I was at my sisters house they had hummus and crackers. Said it was fine, but it had dairy in it. I am sure it was intentional, I heard them talking about it. Have had them give me hamburgers that they said were veggie burgers....drinks with dairy in them etc. I just pretty much refuse to eat anything there, and they take huge offence to it.

The weird thing is, my family (just siblings - adults) are not like typical people that don't understand. They are very liberal, and kind of foodies. What I am getting at, is they do not fit the type that usually don't get vegans. If anything, they would be the type that DO.

Regardless of their 'type' though, anyone who sneaks food ingredients that you have ethical issues with into your food is a crasshole.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:37 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

FootFace wrote:
One of our (four) cats cries all the time at night, but we don't think he's in any pain. He's 14 and just gets... lonely? confused?

But it's almost every night.

If he comes into the bedroom, he's fine.

sometimes older cats develop thyroid problems that can lead to that kind of stuff--a sudden increase in nighttime activity, lots of crying, confusion, etc. has he had bloodwork recently?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:40 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

My dad is finally getting around to asking me about egg subs and stuff to veganize family recipes...It only took him 11 - 12 years?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

People always have that reaction about small birds as well. It's "just a parakeet." "Its just a cockatiel, buy another." crassholes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My in-laws went hunting right before Thanksgiving dinner, and brought a giant dead turkey into the room while we were just hanging out having drinks. I was a lot more traumatized than I would have expected.

what the fork.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:22 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

fisticuffs wrote:
Chicki wrote:
Yes, I had a cat at the time that was pretty old (14) and was having kidney problems and peeing all over the place. You would not believe how many people told me that I should put her down. Not because she had health problems, but because there was pee outside the litterbox sometimes.

In fact that is how I found out about the presidents cat. He overheard me telling my coworker about my poor old kitty and her pee problems.

Um NO. How about I put YOU down when you get old and gross things happen to you?

My kitty's still young and I recently discovered he has kidney problems. Someone asked how he was because he was sick the week before, but it hadn't been diagnosed yet. So I told him he needs special food and she's all like "all that? For a friggin' cat???" Well, um, yes. What do you expect me to do? Just let him deteriorate and die? Set him free into the wild and see what happens?

I was talking to my boss about Chester's hip and the surgery and he said, "Yeah, there comes a point where you have to ask yourself if you really want to spend the money..." My response was, "He doesn't have cancer, he's not dying, it's not a choice between spending thousands of dollars for something that have a tiny chance of extending his life and letting him go painlessly, it's his HIP. If I don't get it fixed he'll just be in horrible pain."

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:30 pm 
WRETCHED

I know someone who had a dog and cat then got a hamster. I mentioned to them about finding a small animal vet and they looked at me like I was crazy. They thought it was crazy to take anything but dogs to a vet, even if they are sick.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:53 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

linanil wrote:
I know someone who had a dog and cat then got a hamster. I mentioned to them about finding a small animal vet and they looked at me like I was crazy. They thought it was crazy to take anything but dogs to a vet, even if they are sick.

I once took my hamster to the vet because it was wheezing. I took him to my usual vet who took care of my cat which was a bad choice - I should have gotten the hint when I called for an appointment and the front desk worker said, "Come again? you want to bring in a hamster?" The vet was very unhelpful basically asking me what I expected her to do... Well, maybe diagnose and treat her? Lucy Maud Montgomery the hamster lived on despite the unhelpful vet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:01 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

In response to all the pet stuff, want to see a charming comment someone replied to me with on Autostraddle, a website I usually really like?

Quote:
Wow 6000 dollars in vet bills for a kitten? You know you can get those for like 30 bucks at a shelter right?
Anyway, sorry it died though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:04 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

strawberryrock wrote:
In response to all the pet stuff, want to see a charming comment someone replied to me with on Autostraddle, a website I usually really like?

Quote:
Wow 6000 dollars in vet bills for a kitten? You know you can get those for like 30 bucks at a shelter right?

Whoa!!! I just don't even know what to say about that.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:10 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

"Are you still vegan?"

"Yes."

"Oh, that sucks."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:22 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

My mom spent $20,000+ on surgery for Mar's mom Mickey! People are shocked sometimes...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:24 pm 
And you never will.

An employee at Trader Joe's in Fort Worth offered me a sample of something last week, and I declined explaining that I was vegan (it was potatoes au gratin or something like that). She asked if poopiebaby would like some and I said no thank you, he's vegan too, and she responded with "oh, poor thing". She quickly back-pedaled when I stood there looking at her with my mouth literally hanging open. Seriously? You work at forking Trader Joe's and you're going to act like I'm doing my kid some huge disservice by feeding him a vegan diet? Plus, our basket was full of Candy Cane Joe-Joe's, Maple Leaf Cookies, Snack-O's, and chocolate - so clearly he is suffering.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:41 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

lobsteriffic wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

Quote:

Whoa!!! I just don't even know what to say about that.

Yeah, someone I work with dared to comment (I kind of bit his head off) that I was an idiot to spend a grand on vet bills to find out what was wrong with my shelter kitty. Context: I was explaining that I wasn't totally happy with the vet clinic, and he went on to say (he takes his purebred dog to this same clinic) that he doubts the vets take the rescued animals and mutts seriously. That might even be true, which is doubly awful.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:41 pm 
Saggy Butt

annasrobbie wrote:
I once took my hamster to the vet because it was wheezing. I took him to my usual vet who took care of my cat which was a bad choice - I should have gotten the hint when I called for an appointment and the front desk worker said, "Come again? you want to bring in a hamster?" The vet was very unhelpful basically asking me what I expected her to do... Well, maybe diagnose and treat her? Lucy Maud Montgomery the hamster lived on despite the unhelpful vet.

I am eternally grateful for the vet who treats my family's animals. I once brought in an ailing mouse and while there wasn't much he could do he at least gave it a shot - I mean, there's not much anyone can do for a bad infection in a small, old mouse, but he at least gave me ointment to deal with the conjunctivitis my mouse had developed. And he definitely enjoyed getting to treat an 'exotic' animal. Apparently he kept a pet rat through uni. He was definitely really good at handling rodents. He's been really good with our guinea pigs as well... When we lived in California and the family guinea pig got mauled by some beastie (...he didn't end up surviving) we had to drive an hour to an exotics vet to get someone to do wound care. It's not like he was sick with some species-specific ailment. I'm sure some of the dogs they'd see in California would be smaller than a guinea pig...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:49 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

When I worked with the exotic vet we still use, he and another vet would routinely stay late and take care of small animals that parents brought in but would refuse to pay for. They also sometimes paid for meds or supplies out of their own pockets. They knew the parents wouldn't spend anything for "just" a hamster, parakeet, guinea pig, etc. The people thought that a "cheap" animal should have a $10 vet bill or something, or, mostly, they took the animal in for show to shut their kid up but didn't really care.

But, you know, I mostly just feel sorry for these people. What a sad, miserable existence to have such a puny, hard heart. My pets have always made my heart grow bigger; they miss out on that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:01 pm 
WRETCHED

My vet does small animals and bunnies but we hardly ever see any. Once in a while, I'll go in and see someone holding a shoe box or something which I imagine has a mouse or hamster or something in it. Our vet is pretty awesome though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:40 pm 
Semen Strong

There is so much license for just hating vegan food without any examination. People just expect it to suck and don't feel any need to examine why they won't eat it.

A friend of ours runs a catering company in ATL and made vegan GF cookies for an event. They were so terrible - they were rock hard and you had to pry off the hard inedible crust to find bits of the chocolate inside if you wanted to eat them. Or soak them in tea until they fell apart. There is no way in hell she would have ever served those to anyone if they were omni, but literally said "Oh well, they're vegan, what do you expect?" And then everyone I heard try those cookies said "Oh well, of course. They're vegan! Who would eat those things!"

I hate that there is carte blanche to hate on vegan food. My husband won't eat anything I cook, and will say "Oh I hate vegan food" even though he used to eat all the stuff I cook. Instead of eating our black beans rancheros over cilantro lime rice, he'll eat a can of Campbell's soup. At this point, he won't even eat vegan waffles he makes himself. If he could say "I don't like this spice." Or could we try this dish or that one, it would be fine, but he feels completely justified just blaming it on the fact that the dish is vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:43 pm 
WRETCHED

Tofulish, I see your problem. You need to marry me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:48 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh GOD YES!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:56 pm 
WRETCHED

*writes down Tofulish as a future possibility*

And the cookie thing is funny. I made the Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles and overcooked them. I was so upset. My husband used them as tea cookies and liked them. I meant to send them to his work but end up sending a different cookie and those got gobbled up. I'm sure if I had sent my overcooked cookies, they would've thought it was a vegan thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12974 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 519  Next