| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 505  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:24 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i boycotted all of my past office parties in prescient solidarity.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:31 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I went to a polar bear plunge that was a charity fundraiser (I didn't go in the water -- I cheered for people and held some towels for people to take as they got out of the water.) There was a reception afterwards, at an Italian restaurant that advertises "We have something for everybody!" with a whole list of "everybody" that includes vegetarians, though not vegans. The receptions was a buffet. There was not a single vegan thing there. I would have expected a buffet at an Italian restaurant to have some pasta and tomato sauce, at least, and maybe some salad.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:49 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Our christmas party is always at Ruth's Chris steakhouse. Last year I got plain steamed asparagus, a plate of sliced tomatoes and raw onions, and bread. And sorbet (which I hate just on principle). This year they are supposedly arranging a "vegan menu," which I assume will be all of the same food, just compiled into a list. Maybe a plain baked potato if I'm really lucky. We'll see! I'd skip it if I could, but it's kind of a big deal and feelings would be seriously hurt.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:52 pm 
WRETCHED

My larger organization was having a luncheon but last luncheon I went to provided for them consisted of only baby carrots for me, so I passed this time.

I'm having a lunch get together with just my manager and our smaller group. Someone complained that we weren't going to a fish restaurant because apparently they have some stupid shrimp appetizer. I flatly said I didn't want to go to fish restaurant because they don't have any vegetarian dishes. Sorry if you don't get your stupid shrimp appetizer but I'd like a lunch.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:48 pm 
Grandfathered In

ashley wrote:
Our christmas party is always at Ruth's Chris steakhouse. Last year I got plain steamed asparagus, a plate of sliced tomatoes and raw onions, and bread. And sorbet (which I hate just on principle). This year they are supposedly arranging a "vegan menu," which I assume will be all of the same food, just compiled into a list. Maybe a plain baked potato if I'm really lucky. We'll see! I'd skip it if I could, but it's kind of a big deal and feelings would be seriously hurt.

Ah. Their feelings. The important ones.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:21 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Isn't Ruth's Chris pretty fancy and expensive? If its the one I'm thinking of, chefs make everything fresh so if you call ahead you should get something decent.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ruth's Chris IS fancy and expensive - they should be able to come up with something vegan! For the price they charge, they better!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:29 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I think the problem with Ruth's Chris is that they are a chain, and therefore not super imaginative or capable of producing anything too far off their standard menu. Like, they were able to leave the hollandaise off the asparagus, and not crumble goat cheese over my tomato slices. They cook most of their vegetables in butter, and trying to explain to the server that I wanted them cooked in oil instead was a waste of time. He looked at me like I was speaking another language, so I gave up. Admittedly, I maybe could have gotten something better if I'd put more effort into it. This year I'm going to call ahead myself, rather than just leaving it up to my boss. The company drops a few grand on this dinner every year, so they SHOULD go out of their way to be accomodating.

FootFace wrote:
ashley wrote:

Ah. Their feelings. The important ones.

Every time I try not to participate in an activity I get accused of being anti-social, not wanting to be a part of the team, blah blah. I have to pick my battles and this is just not worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

missmuffcake wrote:
vixki wrote:
Starbucks training up new workers who can't be arsed to use soya milk and give me regular milk instead. Yes I can taste the difference and you're lucky I could because that stuff makes me ridiculously ill.

I often double-check if it is soy when picking up my drink. Sometimes I get the 'crazy stare'....

I used to get kind of shitty at people who double checked which milk I'd used when I was a barista, because I always used what they'd asked for (how novel!) and resented them implying that I wouldn't... but then I realised how many of the other baristas would top up a soy drink with dairy milk if they'd run out of soy and couldn't be bothered steaming more. Now I obsessively watch my drinks being made!

My work is having a picnic Christmas lunch catered by a barbecue grill place who proudly state on their website that they can make something vegetarian if you request far enough in advance. The fact that they need months to figure out a vegetarian option doesn't seem to bode well for their vegan-friendliness, so I'm going to sit in the office and eat a whole batch of cookies or something (that I'll bake and bring from home, and hide until everyone has left).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I went to a wedding that beautifully offered a vegetarian option on the "select your meal RSVP", instead of just chicken and beef. Granted, I was pregan when we did this so I didn't think much beyond that. What awaited me was this huge plate of quinoa with veggies in a sort of gloopy, creamy stew. It was tasty and so filling that I got about 4 bites in and was dying. I get that they were trying to make the portion look as impressive as it did for the omni people. Then the bride came along and sort of looked sad because I hadn't eaten much and I just could say "Seriously! It is tasty but I am bursting from grainy goodness!!". Apparently the caterers weren't used to feeding veg people because I would have been happy with a lot, lot less!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:32 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

You know as somebody who is a relatively new vegan and been a cook for over 20 years, the trick is to let the kitchen know ahead of time. Not a manager but somebody in the kitchen. What day and what time and what party and vegan means. Because I have a lady who comes in every month for a special function who orders a vegan meal BUT will eat eggs and fish. Yep, that is what she says every month. It would have to be my first ever vegan pet peeve. Peeved me when I was pregan.

I was felt out today to see if I was planing on going to the Christmas party this year. I hate most of my co-workers so the clear answer would be "hell NO!" But since they were not direct with the question I gave an indirect answer. SUCK IT!

My first ever vegan peeve would be the catering manger looking at me on Thanksgiving day insisting that I just MUST know the name of that store downtown you know, with being vegan. You know, the one that is completely gluten free? I looked at her like she was freaking crazy and said "Huuh? I eat gluten. Why would I know about that store? No idea what you are talking about." She got all huffy like I was the stupid one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:55 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

This is really silly.

It bothers me more than it should when vegans preface every foodstuff with the word "vegan".

"I'm just eating a vegan cheese and vegan bacon vegan sandwich with vegan mayo and vegan lettuce." - I know your food is vegan. From the context of you eating it, I can work that one out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:01 am 
Tofu Pup

When people say "I will have some food for you!"
And then you arrive and the dinner they have for you is lettuce, with tomato and corn from a can. Uhm thanks. And now my stomach will make an awkward rumble the rest of the night.
The last few years I have not brought my own food with me, it's like people find it weird I expect to eat when I'm invited, and are not happy with a slice of melon put on a plate, as their version of a vegan meal.

When people invite you over and the other guests get dessert, desssert as in ice cream, cake, or chocolate. And then get all "I have something for you too!" and then come with a piece of fruit for me....
And I feel obligated to eat it even if I don't want to. And if it's one of those visits where all they know I can eat is potato, and I rarely eat potato at home, so after a meal consisting of potato, then I feel like crepe and does not want an easily digestible food like fruit to make trouble after the mass of potato that's feeling like concrete in my stomach (last visit I felt like crepe for THREE DAYS due to this potato + fruit combo, it really messed things up)
Well, I love fruit, but it's not a dessert. I would happily have brought my own chocolate or something from the store, and it's even more weird when it's people who KNOW that there are regular accidentally vegan stuff there are avaliable everywhere and wont cost more than what they use on dessert for the other guests.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:14 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Gulliver wrote:

"I'm just eating a vegan cheese and vegan bacon vegan sandwich with vegan mayo and vegan lettuce." - I know your food is vegan. From the context of you eating it, I can work that one out.

I have posted things before on FB like eating a cheeze sandwich or 'chicken' wrap and I get comments like "OMG I though you are vegan" to "my vegan friend does not eat cheese"...Even with '_' and z spelling in stuff people are clueless.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:19 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Potlucks. At work. Awkward at best.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:50 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

rohai wrote:
Potlucks. At work. Awkward at best.

My work recently decided to do a potluck lunch each month. I tried to play along at first but it was so awkward EVERY TIME. Now I just leave and go eat at Native Foods or something.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:21 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I have to chime in. Tonight the male parental is taking me out to dinner to meet his new girlfriend. I've spent weeks trying to get it through to him that as a vegan, no I can't have fish, nope to the meat, forget about the dairy and back away from the cheese.

So when he asked me if I was free for dinner he sent me a link to the resturant he wanted to go to. Looked at the menu, and EVERY SINGLE DISH had meat. For forks sake, meat turns my stomach, literally, and you can't remember this fact that I've told you fifteen thousand times?!?!?!?!

Luckily, I managed to convince him that a nice Italian place would be a better choice. Now I just have to get through dinner without having him comment on me being 'difficult' when I ask if something can be made without cheese.

I have to wonder...is it just me? Do other vegans have this problem with parents?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:24 am 
WRETCHED

My parents are pretty understanding, my mom went vegan then vegetarian about a year after I went vegan.

My pet peeve today is that I declined a company luncheon because their catering doesn't know how to feed me even if I tell them specifically. My boss says he expects everyone there and not to decline. I told him that I'll drop by but I'm eating my own food.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:30 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

My parents (and in-laws) are very understanding. Like, I feel lucky at how understanding and cool they are about it.

There is a "turkey dinner" lunch on Thursday at work. It's being catered by the cafeteria. One co-worker asked on my behalf if they could make a vegan plate and they said yes. Yeah..well...I don't trust that they could make something vegan, all the vegetables are probably going to have butter in them, and I'm not going to pay $9 for a plate of vegetables anyway. I'm going to go out for lunch on that day so I don't have to hear people freaking out over how amaaaaazing their turkey tastes. I hate how people are about eating turkey, so over the top.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Quote:

Ok, I totally get this, and mostly agree. But I haven't eaten meat in almost 20 years, and my mom was a vegetarian for 10 years before me. A couple of months ago I mentioned that I was making turkey burgers for lunch. I meant the quorn brand and really didn't think that at this point I needed to specify. My mom looked at me like I was crazy and said, "I don't eat turkey." Uh, yeah, I think after 30 years I figured that one out. So for some people, you apparently need to say it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Generally, I find the need to say vegan or vegetarian in front of a lot of stuff because people are all... "whaaaa??? I thought you were vegetarian." I guess I would find that annoying but I have a bunch of stuff higher on my list right now. One being when my mom visits my house she buys non-vegan stuff and leaves it there. It is especially annoying when it is non-vegan stuff that has common vegan alternatives. For example, Italian dressing and saltine crackers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:44 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I usually just say vegetarian when ordering stuff that looks easily vegan and hope for the best. I admit that I occasionally suffer from the fear of saying vegan to someone who will either not understand me or look at me like I have three heads. Example: I will never order vegetable tempura at Japanese restaurants because I don't even want to have the conversation about eggs in the batter. The other day I ordered a sandwich at a bakery and though I said no cheese, they sprinkled parmesan on it. Knowing that my boyfriend eats cheese, I just gave it to him. I am so weak.

Except when it comes to banh mi. You will forking keep your mayo off of my delicious sandwich, or I will cry.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:51 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I often say "completely vegetarian" or "strict vegetarian" and explain if necessary.

But last time it took me half an hour to explain to the waiter and the cook, and after half an hour the cook asked me if she can put parmesan on it. So I said: "nothing that comes from a cow, nothing that comes from a pig, nothing that comes from a chicken, nothing that comes from bees...". They still didn't get it.

I ordered whiskey (I almost never drink alcohol).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:44 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

A 'close' friend of mine had a party this weekend, and I was not invited. Because I am vegan. At least, that is what another mutual friend said, and I am pretty sure that is the reason. (My Fiancé agrees.)

I don't get it. Friends who know I am vegan always say 'oh, you are so cool about it, you never talk shiitake at restaurants, you don't get crazy when we eat meat etc'. Because I don't. I barely talk about it. Most people don't even know. What do they think will happen? That I will bring a bucket of fake blood and throw it at anyone wearing leather? that I will start preaching about the evils of meat when someone offers me a canape? Hell no. I have never been like that, nor have I done anything like that. I don't understand. I have known this person for years, gone on vacations with her and everything. My eating habits are a non-issue.

I was pretty upset. Oh well. I heard the party sucked anyway. Lots of drama.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm doing eye rolls for you, Chicki.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 505  Next