| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 479  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:48 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

HA! You cannot reap the benefits of those industrious bees!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:55 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Well, that's just really rude and stupid then. How annoying.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:57 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Liz_D wrote:
FootFace wrote:
Meat eaters saying things like, "What's the point of fake meat? If you don't want to eat meat, why eat fake meat?!"

My best friend's husband says this EVERY thanksgiving when I mention what roast I've brought with me. And every year I have to say a lot of us didn't stop eating meat because we disliked the taste. This was the 6th year. I think I may have to skip next time.

Two years ago for Christmas, Brian and I brought the field roast celebration roast to Christmas at grandma's, and his cousin made a dramatic display out of how GROSS it looked and how he would NEVER eat ANYTHING like that. My reply was that I wasn't offering him any. But if you've seen the celebration roast you know it literally looks like...a tiny roast. It isn't oozy or spotted or anything that would normally make food look gross.

I think that's the only year we ate at the big table - there's one big long table, then a little round table, and the kids all eat with their parents so Brian, his sister, and I sit there (and sometimes we're joined by one other person). Oh god, what if they try to make it the kid's table this year?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:01 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Fee wrote:
how dare you let forking BEES into your orchard? MONSTERS.
Hanging (by bees, from an apple tree) is too good for you people!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:24 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Liz_D wrote:
FootFace wrote:
Meat eaters saying things like, "What's the point of fake meat? If you don't want to eat meat, why eat fake meat?!"

My best friend's husband says this EVERY thanksgiving when I mention what roast I've brought with me. And every year I have to say a lot of us didn't stop eating meat because we disliked the taste. This was the 6th year. I think I may have to skip next time.

Two years ago for Christmas, Brian and I brought the field roast celebration roast to Christmas at grandma's, and his cousin made a dramatic display out of how GROSS it looked and how he would NEVER eat ANYTHING like that. My reply was that I wasn't offering him any. But if you've seen the celebration roast you know it literally looks like...a tiny roast. It isn't oozy or spotted or anything that would normally make food look gross.

I'm always at a loss when people go on about how gross veggie roasts look. They look totally.... neutral? Neither gross nor exciting. (unless you know how yummy they are).

On the other hand, these people are eating something that very much looks like a beheaded, featherless bird corpse...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:34 am 
WRETCHED

My pet peeve today is Quorn. They need to hurry up and get more vegan products than their vegan burger. I went to Target today and Quorn products were buy 1, get 1 free. They were out of their vegan burger. I want buy 1 get 1 vegan burgers and other stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:46 am 
Grandfathered In

Shoot — I didn't know any quorn stuff was vegan.

I've got to get a-quorning.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:24 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

That vegan Quorn burger is forking good.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:35 pm 
WRETCHED

Quarantined wrote:
That vegan Quorn burger is forking good.

word

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:10 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Chicki wrote:
I had a group of girlfriends that were single, and got upset that I was getting married. Refused to go to the wedding, refused to help me etc (I didn't even ask them for help!). They were 'tired of going to weddings'

Wow, they were properly jealous! And bisques, obviously!

LazySmurf wrote:
There is nothing I hate more than our REQUIRED department holiday potluck.... Since one year I complained about making the main course more inclusive she always adds this line "For those with special diet concerns please bring a dish you are able to consume" which makes me really annoyed because obviously I will bring something I can consume!!!

That is my nightmare to be honest, going to a 'required' work party! Can they fire you if you don't want to go? And of course you'd bring food you can eat, what kind of idiot would bring food they won't eat? God some people just aren't that bright!

linanil wrote:
My pet peeve today is Quorn.

Quorn is a huge pet peeve of mine back home in Ireland. It's in every supermarket, there are no vegan products in their range (as far as I know their vegan burger is only in the US), vegetarians look at you like you're dying when you say you can't eat it ('but how could you live without Quorn, it's so gooood' :O) and omnis look at you like you're the most extreme facist when you say you don't eat it ('you don't even eat quorn!!!! What do you eat, lettuce???'). There are loads of great vegan meat products out there from companies like Fry's and Redwoods, it bothers me that none of them get into supermarkets so people don't know about them, they'd have to step foot in some mad, crazy, health food shop- heaven forbid!

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:08 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Vegan Quorn! I had no idea.

My latest peeves..

I am in theory opposed to monopolies and believe that at atmosphere of healthy competition is good for the economy and the people. I'm not opposed to there being 3+ kinds of refrigerated eggless nog at Whole Foods or whatever. But can we please bring back the chocolate mint Silk? I know, I know, Stevia. But I liked the stuff! So good! I don't want chocolate mint coconut milk because mint + coconut sounds disgusting to me.

And holiday work potlucks. For my husband's job no less!! Just got invited to another one. I'd have to get a babysitter, bring a dish (that would be both substantial enough for me to survive on and non-"weird" enough to pass unnoticed under the meateater radar), bring a "white elephant gift" to exchange, and bring a hostess gift. I'm thinking I'll probably just skip that one, otherwise I'm looking at kissing probably $150 and hours of my time goodbye.

ETA: my food wasting vegan kid. I know, your wee vegan isn't supposed to be your pet peeve. The innocent has no idea how much the raspberries she's grinding into her hair cost, or how much of a pain in the butt it is when she squeezes the organic fruit puree, mail ordered to make sure I'd have enough of the flavors she likes best, onto the carpet. Doesn't understand the decades of vegan cheese development she's rejecting when she casually sticks her arm out and throws a piece of mac & daiya on the ground. But I, sadly, do.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:18 pm 
WRETCHED

3 nogs and no pumpkin spice. that is my annoyance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:54 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The Mint Chocolate Silk is around this year -- they have it at Kroger here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:06 pm 

Damn whey and nonfat milk also need to gtfo of my bread. I found some great bread but only after rejecting a huge amount of other breads.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:41 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I'm sure the chocolate mint silk is somewhere in town, but not at WF. Maybe I'll drive out to the fancy Von's by husband's work, since I don't think the one in my neighborhood would have a big selection of holiday nondairy delights. It's next to TJ's and I need Joejoes anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm a stevia hater and really like the chocolate mint silk. I didn't even realize it was in there until someone mentioned it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:18 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

vijita wrote:
dropscone wrote:
Are you sure it wasn't someone playing a practical joke? That sounds like a wind-up to me! (it's the quizzing you for ages, and then a final issue and hanging up without waiting to hear your answer that makes me think that.)

No, it was definitely legit. I actually know of the guy through someone else.

Is he from Victoria Vegans? Or (shudder) the UVic vegan group?So many insufferable people in such a small group!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:34 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

LazySmurf wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:

But it's really not that bad! I wish I didn't dread it. It's, like, an hour out of my life. I'm thinking this year I will just bring my own lunch, avoid the potluck line, and see what happens. I'll probably just get a zillion people asking me why I didn't want to participate.

Come eat with me that day! You can tell all your coworkers a friend is having a crisis and needs you. Feel free to make up something entertaining.

It's REQUIRED! You aren't allowed to take vacation! Or be sick! They tried to cancel my trip to Hawaii one year just to go to this stupid potluck.

What about a hostage situation? I can come down and keep you in a room with a bunch of tacos and demand sauces.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:53 pm 

My partner's father at gatherings like easter, t-giving, and some other times when we eat dinner with them, are always asking him "if he thinks he's going to stay this way forever" regarding eating vegan food. Also kind of implying like its my fault, since he always acts like its somehow ok if its me, but if its his son, unacceptable or something. For reference, my boyfriend didn't make any dietary changes "for me" since he already did before he met me. It seems so frustrating that people would find any issue with veganism forever, and are questioning me with things like "you won't feed your kids vegan will you?" Well, yes, I will, because kids eat what their parents cook them until they are old enough to make their own decisions- just like with meat eating families.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:42 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

What is up with cheap-lazy vegan restaurants serving crepe like Boca burgers or Gardein nuggets as a meal?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:59 pm 
WELFARIST!

missmuffcake wrote:
What is up with cheap-lazy vegan restaurants serving crepe like Boca burgers or Gardein nuggets as a meal?

Yesx1000000000. If I'm going to a restaurant, I expect something more than a Boca burger.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:01 am 
Chard Martyr

j-dub wrote:
vijita wrote:
dropscone wrote:
Are you sure it wasn't someone playing a practical joke? That sounds like a wind-up to me! (it's the quizzing you for ages, and then a final issue and hanging up without waiting to hear your answer that makes me think that.)

No, it was definitely legit. I actually know of the guy through someone else.

Is he from Victoria Vegans? Or (shudder) the UVic vegan group?So many insufferable people in such a small group!

Yes!

Oh my, Victoria has the most ludicrous population of terrible-person vegans. It is really quite sad.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:54 am 
Seagull of the PPK

1) all this talking about nog is making me sad. someone needs to post a make-your-own-recipe.

2) i was listening to the interview with the Smitten Kitchen lady on WNYC yesterday and this chef called in to compliment her, and then before he hung up said "just so you know, in the vaygun community, mushrooms are considered to be close enough to animals that they aren't vegetarian". Did anyone else hear that?
Uh, NO. NO and NO.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:18 am 
Ninja Master

Blueberries wrote:
linanil wrote:
My pet peeve today is Quorn.

Quorn is a huge pet peeve of mine back home in Ireland. It's in every supermarket, there are no vegan products in their range (as far as I know their vegan burger is only in the US), vegetarians look at you like you're dying when you say you can't eat it ('but how could you live without Quorn, it's so gooood' :O) and omnis look at you like you're the most extreme facist when you say you don't eat it ('you don't even eat quorn!!!! What do you eat, lettuce???'). There are loads of great vegan meat products out there from companies like Fry's and Redwoods, it bothers me that none of them get into supermarkets so people don't know about them, they'd have to step foot in some mad, crazy, health food shop- heaven forbid!

Ah yeah don't get me started on quorn. The meat free aisles are generally just quorn, REALLY bad tofu (cauldron) and a few half arsed attempts from the supermarkets at vegetarian food.

I used to love quorn when I was veggie, I wish they would make some vegan options. I miss their sausages.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:19 am 
Nailed to the V

torque wrote:
1) all this talking about nog is making me sad. someone needs to post a make-your-own-recipe.

Like this one http://www.theppk.com/2010/12/matrioshka-eggnog/ ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 479  Next