| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 545  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:57 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

amonik wrote:
torque wrote:
1) all this talking about nog is making me sad. someone needs to post a make-your-own-recipe.

Like this one http://www.theppk.com/2010/12/matrioshka-eggnog/ ?

Or this one http://cybelepascal.com/allergy-free-eggnog/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:28 am 
Seagull of the PPK

thank you <<slobber>> there will be nog in my future!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:42 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm planning on trying this nog recipe because I love the idea of drinking pudding.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/31624/vegan-eggnog.html

I am trying to avoid all the soy in store bought nog (I don't think soy is evil, in case you think I'm one of those people) so I think I am going to try to make it with almond milk & coconut milk.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:43 am 
WRETCHED

Quorn doesn't have sausages in the US, I don't think. It is odd though that they wouldn't offer the vegan burger in the UK either.

And anyone have a pumpkin spice recipe? :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:49 am 

I'll add a vegan pet peeve for today: what to do with the other half of an avocado. I know, I know, I could eat the whole thing but that is often just too much! My husband does not eat avocado so no help there. Right now I have a creative little system where I place the 2nd half in a small ziploc bag and close it most of the way and suck the air out with a straw, thus preserving the half for use later or the next day. But think of all the bags! And think how crazy I look!

Another avocado related pet peeve: they are so expensive and they are such a gamble! You can sometimes pay $1.50 for the damned things and then you cut it open and it's all grey and stringy inside. Sadness.

Once when I was visiting Oregon I saw avocados 2 for $1.00. I took a forking picture. And I cried as I flew back to the east coast.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:51 am 
WRETCHED

erynne936 wrote:
I'll add a vegan pet peeve for today: what to do with the other half of an avocado. I know, I know, I could eat the whole thing but that is often just too much! My husband does not eat avocado so no help there. Right now I have a creative little system where I place the 2nd half in a small ziploc bag and close it most of the way and suck the air out with a straw, thus preserving the half for use later or the next day. But think of all the bags! And think how crazy I look!

Another avocado related pet peeve: they are so expensive and they are such a gamble! You can sometimes pay $1.50 for the damned things and then you cut it open and it's all grey and stringy inside. Sadness.

Once when I was visiting Oregon I saw avocados 2 for $1.00. I took a forking picture. And I cried as I flew back to the east coast.

You'd cry in California at 10 for $1 then.

And you can freeze avocado, just remove the skin and pit.

Last edited by linanil on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:51 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

erynne936 wrote:
I'll add a vegan pet peeve for today: what to do with the other half of an avocado.

Send it to me :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:54 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Yesx1000000000. If I'm going to a restaurant, I expect something more than a Boca burger.

One of my fave burgers switched over to Boca last time I had it. I was not happy.

A place that makes really good doughnuts & simple meals a few times a week (think tofu scramble) recently started selling a Gardein chicken strip basket with fries or something. I was like 'really?'.....I can go home and throw those in the oven myself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:55 am 
Seagull of the PPK

leave the pit in the cut half, and you wont have to do the ridiculousness to keep it from getting icky.
erynne936 wrote:

usually, if you look at the stem end, you can tell if an avocado is going to be disastrous or good. sometimes you get screwed anyway, but if there's any brown/grey/black near the stem, or if the stem has fallen out, walk away, it will be bad.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:06 am 
***LIES!!!***

Alternatively, sprinkle with lemon juice and place cut side down on a plate and stick in fridge. No need to cover.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:09 am 

I'm replying to like 6 people here, sorry:

I have found that that the "leave the pit in" thing is a myth. It's the air contact that turns it brown, so all around the pit the exposed edge is getting yucky. Also putting the pit in your guacamole after you make it doesn't do a damned thing to keep it green, as pits are not magic. You will just have a green oval under where your pit was in a bowl of browned guac. I have found the best method is to cover the guac surface with plastic wrap, trapping out all air.

I do check the stems, and I try to buy them hard and let them ripen at home because they don't get all bruised and beat up in the produce section that way.

Can you really freeze avocado? Does it get brown? Does the texture remain the same when it's defrosted? I don't use them for baking or smoothies or anything, so if it gets weird after freezing I wouldn't want to eat it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:11 am 

Oh no, this is all very ironic as my av is an avocado. You all would have thought me to be more knowledgeable on the subject, hah.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:12 am 
WRETCHED

I've only had frozen guac but if you are using it for sandwiches, I don't know. I don't think it gets weird but you may feel differently.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:12 am 
Dead by dawn

torque wrote:
1) all this talking about nog is making me sad. someone needs to post a make-your-own-recipe.

2) i was listening to the interview with the Smitten Kitchen lady on WNYC yesterday and this chef called in to compliment her, and then before he hung up said "just so you know, in the vaygun community, mushrooms are considered to be close enough to animals that they aren't vegetarian". Did anyone else hear that?
Uh, NO. NO and NO.

What the...? I'm pretty sure the vegan community knows that mushrooms are in a different kingdom than animals! Although, I suppose he may be right about the vaygun community... does anyone here know any vayguns?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:13 am 
***LIES!!!***

Yes, the pit thing doesn't work. But acid will do the job about as well as cling wrap does. As would just storing it cut side down on a surface.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:13 am 

Ariann wrote:
Alternatively, sprinkle with lemon juice and place cut side down on a plate and stick in fridge. No need to cover.

This is a good theory as the avocado surface is all in contact with plate it will likely keep the air from browning the avocado. The concave pit part will probably get brown though. However, I do not like my avocado to be lemony, I am a bit finicky.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:19 am 

linanil wrote:

You'd cry in California at 10 for $1 then.

I think someone would have to bust out the smelling salts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:20 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i've kept a pit-in avocado half in a tupperware for several days without it going off (i went through a phase where i needed avocado in all my sandwiches, but i didn't want it any other time). and i've found that lemon/lime in guacamole really does preserve it just fine, without any need for cling wrap or what have you. but maybe my refrigerator is magic, or maybe other people have a more stringent definition of "off" than i do.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:39 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I leave it at room temperature and the next day just peel off the hardened brown part.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:33 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

monkeytoes wrote:
torque wrote:

2) i was listening to the interview with the Smitten Kitchen lady on WNYC yesterday and this chef called in to compliment her, and then before he hung up said "just so you know, in the vaygun community, mushrooms are considered to be close enough to animals that they aren't vegetarian". Did anyone else hear that?
Uh, NO. NO and NO.

What the...? I'm pretty sure the vegan community knows that mushrooms are in a different kingdom than animals! Although, I suppose he may be right about the vaygun community... does anyone here know any vayguns?

Are there some vegans/vayguns that don't eat yeast either? Like bread yeast, not nutritional yeast.

I remember seeing a show when I was a kid, and episode of Growing Pains I think, where Mike brought a date to dinner, and she was a vegatarian, and didn't eat meat or yeast.

Must be true. Everything on TV from the 80's is true.

(semi-serious question, I have heard this other places too, mostly from Omni's though)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:16 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I have only heard of that from omnis (and nutritional yeast is still yeast and would also be out if that were the case).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Quote:
I'll add a vegan pet peeve for today: what to do with the other half of an avocado.

Use this! http://www.amazon.com/Harold-Import-Com ... B001IWONL6

I got one at the avocado festival last year and I have been really impressed with how well it actually works. Basically it just makes sure that every bit of surface is covered, so it's not like it's magic. But it solves the problem of the concave pit area getting brown if you put it face down in tupperware with the pit out, or the area on the edge getting brown if you leave the pit in.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:45 pm 
Dead by dawn

Ariann wrote:
I have only heard of that from omnis (and nutritional yeast is still yeast and would also be out if that were the case).

Yeah, I've only heard the yeast thing from omnis who where trying to prove that we're hypocrites because we eat living things.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:49 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

acr wrote:
i've kept a pit-in avocado half in a tupperware for several days without it going off (i went through a phase where i needed avocado in all my sandwiches, but i didn't want it any other time). and i've found that lemon/lime in guacamole really does preserve it just fine, without any need for cling wrap or what have you. but maybe my refrigerator is magic, or maybe other people have a more stringent definition of "off" than i do.

I just put mine in a tupperware in the fridge too. The cut side does get a little brown but it tastes fine, or you can cut it off if you need to. I do use up an avocado pretty quickly though, like in a matter of three days at very most.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:19 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

DEG wrote:
I got one at the avocado festival last year

Whoa whoa whoa, an AVOCADO FESTIVAL? That sounds like heaven!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 545  Next