| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 498  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:50 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

linanil wrote:
I forgot but why do seafood restaurants in particular hardly ever have anything that is remotely vegan?

When I was omni back in the day I would not eat seafood - even tuna fish...I am afraid of damn fish, the smell makes me ill. So I was really hesitant to try Weird Fish in SF - seeing it was a pescatarian restaurant with vegan options. The fried vegan fish & chips were amazing, they even had yummy slathered vegan wingz & the best vegan cheeze cake...Then they took away all the vegan options and I was sad. They introduced the vegan options again, not as good on some thing but better on others...

My vegan pet peeve: not enough vegan coupons out there!!! I want to extreme coupon, if I am lucky enough to find $4 worth of vegan coupons to use I feel lucky! I know on the show there was a vegan coupon-er but her ethics did not match up to mine (do not knock me off my podium please!) and she bought crappy stuff...I need real food coupons!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:08 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

missmuffcake wrote:
My vegan pet peeve: not enough vegan coupons out there!!! I want to extreme coupon, if I am lucky enough to find $4 worth of vegan coupons to use I feel lucky! I know on the show there was a vegan coupon-er but her ethics did not match up to mine (do not knock me off my podium please!) and she bought crappy stuff...I need real food coupons!

Yeah, it's true that there aren't nearly as many and that's kind of a bummer. I'm not an "extreme couponer" but I do use coupons and believe they're a good way to save money. Truthfully the biggest percentage of the coupons I get aren't even for food, but if I want to stock up on non-vegan razors and air fresheners then I guess I'm all set! I like the Whole Foods store coupon booklets because they often have a higher percentage of vegan food coupons than your typical coupon inserts, plus some stores let you stack with manufacturer Qs. Which is only useful if you shop at Whole Foods, of course. But yeah, it would be nice if there were more coupons out there for vegan stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:38 pm 
Saggy Butt

linanil wrote:
I forgot but why do seafood restaurants in particular hardly ever have anything that is remotely vegan? I had to eat at one recently and when someone announced the restaurant, I wasn't too happy. We usually go to 1 of 2 restaurants that do have options for me but despite the fact that the group I was with only eats out together once or twice per year, someone wanted to mix it up. I ended up having a salad which was ok and I was kind of impressed by the variety of veggies on it.

Yes! I have a friend that kept wanting to go to a local seafood place, the kind that is mostly busy during "early bird" hours, but he loved the bar/drinks there so I finally gave in. The only things on the menu I could eat if I wanted to spend the money was onion rings, fried in who knew what, or a wedge salad which cost over 7 bucks. For a wedge of lettuce, hold the bacon. At least he was right about the drinks, one of the freshest lemon drops I've ever had.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:46 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I hate when people introduce me to someone as, "This is C., she's vegan." I'm also a biology major, love to cook, run, and am totally obsessed with Doctor Who, but apparently being vegan is my defining feature. Now, if the person I'm being introduced to is also veg*n, then it doesn't really bother me, but I don't see why it needs to be mentioned unless it's in someway relevant, especially to a complete stranger.

Oh, and when I make something and people say, "This is pretty good....for being vegan." No, that banana bread is kickass, which you said 5 seconds ago before you found out it happened to be vegan. Gah

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:12 pm 
WRETCHED

Two things that may also be contradicting:

Companies that make products for vegetarian customers that don't make it obvious whether the item is vegan or not. Amy's does a good job with this by putting 'vegan' at the beginning of an ingredients list. I wish other companies would do this as well.

Companies that list labels that are unnecessary. If you have a single ingredient item, I don't think 'vegan' 'gluten free', etc are necessary. I was looking at some coconut water in which coconut water is the only ingredient and vegan was one of the markings. I'd rather they over label then under label but it just seems funny.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:25 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Simply_Love wrote:
I hate when people introduce me to someone as, "This is C., she's vegan." I'm also a biology major, love to cook, run, and am totally obsessed with Doctor Who, but apparently being vegan is my defining feature. Now, if the person I'm being introduced to is also veg*n, then it doesn't really bother me, but I don't see why it needs to be mentioned unless it's in someway relevant, especially to a complete stranger.

Oh, and when I make something and people say, "This is pretty good....for being vegan." No, that banana bread is kickass, which you said 5 seconds ago before you found out it happened to be vegan. Gah

this!

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:48 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I wish people had never discovered how to extract/synthesise vitamin D3 from animal bits. So many cereals (and other things- like a certain brand of garlic bread which used to be accidentally vegan) are now fortified with vitamin D. On the one hand, this is great- I don't want people to be deficient in vitamin D. Hey, I would like to get more vitamin D myself. On the other hand, it is always D3, so now I don't want to eat that food! I was reminded of this again when I went to visit my mum and all the breakfast cereals happened to be D-fortified ones. I felt as though I shouldn't eat them, but that it wouldn't be fair for me to ask her to get different cereal for me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:23 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

DLD wrote:
I think a lot of the douchy comments we get from omnis come from their thinking that we think we are morally superior. I don't know any vegans who walk around with a morally superior attitude, but it's kind of like we get accused of it anyway. Maybe it creeps through in our behavior, or maybe it's other folks feeling insecure. Or some of both.

Alright, I'm gonna be the one to say it! I get so much more shiitake from other vegans than I get from omnis!

In addition to "I could never give up cheese!" my biggest pet peeve is other vegans who insist on explaining to you that you aren't vegan enough because you eat (1) accidentally vegan foods that contain refined sugar of unknown origin, (2) accidentally vegan products from non-vegan companies, or (3) palm oil.

I'm hooked up with a local vegan group on FB, and someone tried to be helpful by pointing out an article on several accidentally vegan foods. Some amazingly helpful vegan then had to jump in and point out that Bud Light is NOT VEGAN because Annheuser-Busch supports Sea World and that if you buy it and drink it you're a horrible person for supporting non-vegan causes.

I do a pretty good job of avoiding companies that have policies I disagree with or support causes I find objectionable, but I'm not perfect, and I get absolutely enraged by vegans that honestly seem to think (and aren't shy about telling you!) that if you eat anything produced anywhere in corporate America you should just go back to eating dead animals because it would somehow be less hypocritical.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:46 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

zensquiggle wrote:
I get absolutely enraged by vegans that honestly seem to think (and aren't shy about telling you!) that if you eat anything produced anywhere in corporate America you should just go back to eating dead animals because it would somehow be less hypocritical.

this x1 million.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

No one is perfect. No one needs to be treated like that vegan or otherwise. I've def been criticized by other vegans, it's not fun. Especially when you aren't specifically asking for help or guidance with something.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:14 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Whoa! I've been vegan for almost ten years and I honestly don't think I've ever had anybody (vegan or not) tell me I wasn't vegan enough. Maybe I am Super Vegan.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:17 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

GraciaKai wrote:
No one is perfect. No one needs to be treated like that vegan or otherwise. I've def been criticized by other vegans, it's not fun. Especially when you aren't specifically asking for help or guidance with something.
This is why I love the PPK. The vast majority of people who participate in these forums are happy to help out or offer advice when asked, but overall this is the most inclusive, helpful, non-critical, non-judgmental group of vegans I've ever met. And I wish I lived in the same town as all of you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:21 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

zensquiggle wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:
This is why I love the PPK. The vast majority of people who participate in these forums are happy to help out or offer advice when asked, but overall this is the most inclusive, helpful, non-critical, non-judgmental group of vegans I've ever met. And I wish I lived in the same town as all of you.

If these were facebook status' I would like them.

Maybe we should invade a country, kick everyone non-vegan out and live in vegan paradise. Can we make it somewhere with good weather though?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:24 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Vegan compound here I come!! The place where only non-judgmental vegans live.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

choirqueer wrote:
Whoa! I've been vegan for almost ten years and I honestly don't think I've ever had anybody (vegan or not) tell me I wasn't vegan enough. Maybe I am Super Vegan.

I've never had anyone say it to me directly but I've seen stuff like this from some vegans online. It's only been online and I have yet to see anyone say anything to another vegans face in person. The most I've seen it come from has been palm-oil people. For example, I saw a vegan recipe posted online once and someone commented on it with, "Well, I'm a REAL vegan so I don't use (brand of veg butter here) because I don't use palm-oil. I make my own, natural butter."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:42 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I was at a local vegan event where the guy running the event said that, if you eat food with the "made on equipment also used for dairy" label, then you're not vegan.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:58 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Larisa wrote:
I was at a local vegan event where the guy running the event said that, if you eat food with the "made on equipment also used for dairy" label, then you're not vegan.

Holy crepe. What would anyone eat?! We must be noobs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:04 pm 
Grandfathered In

My compromise with the cereal or other things commonly fortified with vitamin D:

If it says D, but doesn't specify whether it's D2 or D3, I'll eat it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:51 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Real vegans only eat veganic, fair-trade non GMO granola. Get it right people!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:03 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Larisa wrote:

That guy was a jerk.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Larisa wrote:

That's kind of ridiculous considering there are only a small number of companies making vegan products on dedicated equipment. I don't know of any exclusively vegan or even vegetarian grocery stores either. Places like Trader Joe's and WF may be vegan friendly but would probably go out of business if they did not also cater to omnis.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:17 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Here's one that's new to me! The restaurant we're going to for my mom's birthday has a tofu dish in a beurre blanc!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

bunniee wrote:
Larisa wrote:

That's kind of ridiculous considering there are only a small number of companies making vegan products on dedicated equipment. I don't know of any exclusively vegan or even vegetarian grocery stores either. Places like Trader Joe's and WF may be vegan friendly but would probably go out of business if they did not also cater to omnis.

yeah, I've also heard some vegans implying (online) that you should only patronize all-vegan restaurants. I don't consider either of these necessary from an ethical standpoint.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:37 pm 
Dead by dawn

bunniee wrote:
Larisa wrote:

Yeah, and not purchasing vegan products made by not vegan companies is a great way to send the message that there's no market for vegan products. Or to drive vegan companies who share equipment out of business.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:51 pm 
WRETCHED

Hey I accept I'm a shitty vegan, if someone says I'm not vegan enough, perhaps I should tell them fine by me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 498  Next