| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11823 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 473  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:18 pm 
WRETCHED

So holiday luncheon #1 - I had already told them not to plan for my meal but I went to talk to people. They ended up having a huge salad with plenty of veggies (that almost no body ate) and a bunch of roasted veggies (I knew these were vegan as I've had them before). So I had a huge asparagus salad and tons of roasted veggies.

Other items they had - dried out chicken, dried out eggplant parmesean (one of the lacto veggies told me it was dried out and not very good, seasoned rice (chicken stock, not veggie), broccoli salad (I'm guessing this had bacon), the roasted veggies and the salad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:26 pm 
Nooch of Earl

acr wrote:
torque wrote:
best part of working for myself: no mandatory holiday parties

+1 yummiest.

When I was working for a software company, our holiday parties were actually f'ing awesome. They were fancy without being obligatorily formal (software developers. No matter how fancy the party, some of them are still going to be in tshirts and sweatpants.), had good food and lots and lots of wine. Good time had by all.

It's husband's job that has brought all of the potlucks into my life. And weirdly they're all wives' events.

Last edited by annak on Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:37 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

So much forking bulk morningstar at BJ's and so few of it vegan. fork fork fork

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:08 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

GymClassZero wrote:
So much forking bulk morningstar at BJ's and so few of it vegan. fork fork fork

Same with Costco. About a year ago they got this awesome veggie burger in the refrigerated section, made with chickpeas and all sorts of veggies (you could see the carrots, peas etc in the patties). They. were. awesome. We would get a box every other week at least, then all of a sudden right when they stocked up on all the thanksgiving stuff in the middle of November, they stopped stocking the patties and haven't had any since.

A couple years ago they had some awesome vegan samosas at Costco and then all of a sudden those disappeared never to be seen again. I need to start buying a dozen of whatever they get that I like and just loading up our chest freezer because clearly I can't count on Costco to keep the good vegan stuff around.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:52 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I was xmas shopping at a high end store, saw some cute initial bracelets, inquired if the cord was leather and they said yes. So I said I will pass, the SA was like 'well, you can just remove the charm and use another bracelet'...I asked her 'what will I do with the bracelet then' and explained I was not in the habit of throwing stuff away...She got pissy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:08 am 
Not NOT A Furry

lillianp wrote:
Tenacious LD wrote:
This is well covered material in this thread, but I would like to express my annoyance from last night.

I walked into my holiday work party yesterday evening and it was announced loudly "Our vegan is here"! To all the folks from the other branch who had never met me, as well as everyone's spouses, I was thus labeled. The vegan. Not the backpacker, cook, thrift store-maven, baker, drink-maker, PTA, massage therapist, practical-joker, thru-hiker, runner, esthetician, live-show-enjoying, garage-sale going, or any other descriptors that hint at the well-rounded and kick-ass chica I am. Just that label that freaks most people out.

And then, hardly anyone ate the cashew based (read: time consuming) artichoke/spinach dip I brought. (Note to self...always bring dessert)! I still enjoyed myself, but as most of you have probably been there yourselves, you can understand how I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes and sighing out loud.

You thru-hiked?? Me too! (Appalachian Trail 2010) My brother did and he's doing the PCT this year.

Also, if we end up having a holiday party (almost no word beyond casual in passing mention once), I'm grateful that the person who is in charge of organizing is a vegetarian who knows that I"m vegan and understands what that means.

Lillianp! That is rad! Also, I think we need a thru-hiker thread, or at least a backpacker thread. That's the only thing I qualify as a gear head for, but it'd be nice to have somewhere to go to talk about vegan outdoor supplies.

I did the PCT 10 years ago; I'm finally ready to plan a thru-hike of the CDT but it will be 3 (maybe even 4) years from now. Which is ok, because I love planning and I'm finally done with school and can actually pick a date now. It took my husband and I 3 years to plan our PCT hike, so I know we'll get there. He's done the AT already; I'm saving that one for retirement, apparently.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:24 am 
Seagull of the PPK

annak wrote:
When I was working for a software company, our holiday parties were actually f'ing awesome. .

i can only imagine!!
you remind me of when i was in japan working for a school, everything was mandatory, but instead of rankling, a few of us took control and made them awesome. What could have been the typical handcuffed-to-your-chair-having-to-force-smiles became hysterical as we decided that (sober, surprisingly) we would insert certain props into the party- a fake moose head, santa suit, juggling balls, carrot necklaces, a setup for bobbing for apples..... it was always like a cross between Whose Line is it Anyway and a music video.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:57 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

annak wrote:

When I was working for a software company, our holiday parties were actually f'ing awesome. They were fancy without being obligatorily formal (software developers. No matter how fancy the party, some of them are still going to be in tshirts and sweatpants.), had good food and lots and lots of wine. Good time had by all.

I work for a software company and we don't have anything awesome. Ever.

Including the software.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:41 am 
WRETCHED

Our second holiday luncheon was yesterday which was great. We were able to order whatever we wanted and we just were able to sit and talk.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:02 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

like how food-involving get togethers should be!!! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:47 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Chicki wrote:
annak wrote:

I work for a software company and we don't have anything awesome. Ever.

Including the software.

Credit Unions can be cool too. When I worked there, I managed to convince the event planners (and they have lots of events!) that to be in line with the credit union's commitment to the environment, they had to have all their events catered by a vegan chef. They agreed and they are still using the same vegan chef, even though I no longer work there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:50 am 
Saggy Butt

Angelina wrote:
Credit Unions can be cool too. When I worked there, I managed to convince the event planners (and they have lots of events!) that to be in line with the credit union's commitment to the environment, they had to have all their events catered by a vegan chef. They agreed and they are still using the same vegan chef, even though I no longer work there.

I loved working for a credit union. Great bennies, great people.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:57 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

walrus wrote:
Angelina wrote:

Come to NYC then. They are always hiring. And yes, they do have great bennies. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:33 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Pet peeve: only one vegan burger option at school and it has nuts in it that I can't eat. Make that shiitake without nuts. There's one forking thing I can have and you stick your nuts in it, and I'm sick of it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:31 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

GymClassZero wrote:
Pet peeve: only one vegan burger option at school and it has nuts in it that I can't eat. Make that shiitake without nuts. There's one forking thing I can have and you stick your nuts in it, and I'm sick of it.

Aww, tough break. But I had to sig that!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:36 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I found out that at my partner's company holiday party, they confirmed a vegan/vegetarian option: Ravioli

Ok. Well. Last year they gave me a plate of ravioli as my 'option' (same venue, but plated, not buffet which this year will be).

I was skeptical. Who wouldn't be of ravioli? Egg in the pasta, cheese in the filling. So I asked. They said "its vegan". So I asked again, does it have any eggs or dairy in it? "Of course! its RAVIOLI"

This is why I don't ever ask if stuff is vegan in restaurants. They have no idea what it means. I just ask for meat/egg/dairy free options.

So....no. I don't think I will be eating it. Luckily, it is buffet, so everyone will be eating at different times, so hopefully people won't notice too much if I am not eating. My partner said he will take me to get something on the way there. Mmmm...Taco Bell.

(that was not sarcastic. I actually love Taco Bell.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:51 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

dropscone wrote:
GymClassZero wrote:

Aww, tough break. But I had to sig that!
I was sorely tempted to do the same!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:31 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Chicki wrote:

I was skeptical. Who wouldn't be of ravioli? Egg in the pasta, cheese in the filling. So I asked. They said "its vegan". So I asked again, does it have any eggs or dairy in it? "Of course! its RAVIOLI"

This kinda happened at the BF's work with frozen yogurt. They said it was vegan but could not tell him what 'cultures' were or what base. So he just sat there and had people whisper about the guy not enjoying his frozen yogurt...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:35 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

missmuffcake wrote:
Chicki wrote:

This kinda happened at the BF's work with frozen yogurt. They said it was vegan but could not tell him what 'cultures' were or what base. So he just sat there and had people whisper about the guy not enjoying his frozen yogurt...

I went into the frozen yogurt shop closest to my workplace (there are 2 others, for a total of 3, to choose from within 500 yards of each other though) and inquired about their "non-dairy" sorbet. Since I know Orange Leaf's isn't really non-dairy (then why call it that?!), I asked if theirs was really non-dairy. He said, "Well, no, when we mixed it we had to add a little dairy to it. But you aren't the first one to ask and be disappointed so we're going to try it without it next time." Um, WTH? You "had" to add a little dairy to the non-dairy sorbet? For what? I haven't been back so I have no idea if it's really non-dairy now or not...instead, I go to the third shop, which is completely local, and has ACTUAL non-dairy sorbet. I'd rather go there anyway, so whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

karichelle wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
Chicki wrote:

I went into the frozen yogurt shop closest to my workplace (there are 2 others, for a total of 3, to choose from within 500 yards of each other though) and inquired about their "non-dairy" sorbet. Since I know Orange Leaf's isn't really non-dairy (then why call it that?!), I asked if theirs was really non-dairy. He said, "Well, no, when we mixed it we had to add a little dairy to it. But you aren't the first one to ask and be disappointed so we're going to try it without it next time." Um, WTH? You "had" to add a little dairy to the non-dairy sorbet? For what? I haven't been back so I have no idea if it's really non-dairy now or not...instead, I go to the third shop, which is completely local, and has ACTUAL non-dairy sorbet. I'd rather go there anyway, so whatever.

That's super annoying, but I'm glad you found a place! there are a lot of places out here that use the same brand (i can't remember the name now argh!) of yogurt and the sorbet flavors are all vegan. One chain out here is called 16 Handles and they use it (http://16handles.com/documents/16H_Ingredients.pdf) I feel like if you ever see a flavor called Mango Tango, it's the same one. They also have a kiwi strawberry and a pomegranate that I've tried that are all good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

walrus wrote:
Angelina wrote:

the local credit union we use for our monies and mortgage and shiitake is apparently one of the best places in the state to work or something.
i really want to work there. >_<

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:01 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

karichelle wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
Chicki wrote:

if there's dairy in it doesnt it make it sherbert?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:04 pm 

The brand that a lot of other places use is the one that the shop I patronize uses. :) They are proud of the fact that it's dairy free and also mark all their gluten free flavors. They are a few cents more expensive per ounce so I guess they are trying to target other markets that the chain shops don't care about.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:14 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

karichelle wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
Chicki wrote:

Wait, doesn't that make it dangrous for people that have allergies to dairy?

I mean, that could really make someone sick....right? I don't know, I don't have any allergies like that, But if I was severly lactose intolerant or allergic, and I ate something that claimed to be 'Dairy Free' and I got sick because it was mis-advertised I would be HELLA PISSED.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:16 pm 

That's why he mentioned that I wasn't the first one to be upset that it wasn't really dairy free. They didn't have it labeled as dairy free I guess, just that it was sorbet. I guess everyone had been asking. Hopefully that made the point and it's really DF now.

I didn't get close enough to the display to see. I just asked when I walked in the door.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11823 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 473  Next