| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 545  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:35 am 
WRETCHED

LisaPunk wrote:
i think i dodged a bullet this holiday season. we get an Xmas gift from the company i work for every year. usually it is a jacket of some sort with the company logo on it. two years ago a Honey Baked Dead Pig showed up at my house and i was completely mortified.
since they usually dont do the same thing 2 years in a row i didnt think to say anything the following year and then i ended up with a second dead pig whcih that year i had a REALLY hard time getting rid of.
this year i thought ahead and asked the manager in charge of this if they were doing dead pigs and asked to be kept off the dead pig list since it goes against everything i believe in.
at the time she said they didnt know what they were doing but she would certainly do that if they did the hams.
i didnt think they were doing the hams this year because we are getting vests and there have been no payments made to Honey Baked Ham in the accounting system so i thought i was safe.
apparently we are still getting hams and they were sent out yesterday. those of us who work in the home office will probably get ours next thursday at the holiday party.
fingers crossed they remembered i dont want one!
i dont have faith in these people!!!

I'm a bit surprised that they would pick ham with so many people who don't eat pork due to religious reasons. That is a bit insane.

And even when I ate meat, I wasn't really big fan of ham myself. It would've probably been one of my last choices.

Last edited by linanil on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:37 am 
WRETCHED

ndpittman wrote:
Yeah, sometimes sorbet can really hit the spot. We have a Ben and Jerry's ice cream social, and they brought mango sorbet. I had like, 4 scoops. It was amazing.

Yeah, mango sorbet is awesome and I like raspberry sorbet too and orange sorbet and... Target has a pretty good sorbet line in their stores.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:37 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Sorbet can be okay, but as a rule I don't like foods that make me cold.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:42 am 
Flounceiad 2011

linanil wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
i think i dodged a bullet this holiday season. we get an Xmas gift from the company i work for every year. usually it is a jacket of some sort with the company logo on it. two years ago a Honey Baked Dead Pig showed up at my house and i was completely mortified.
since they usually dont do the same thing 2 years in a row i didnt think to say anything the following year and then i ended up with a second dead pig whcih that year i had a REALLY hard time getting rid of.
this year i thought ahead and asked the manager in charge of this if they were doing dead pigs and asked to be kept off the dead pig list since it goes against everything i believe in.
at the time she said they didnt know what they were doing but she would certainly do that if they did the hams.
i didnt think they were doing the hams this year because we are getting vests and there have been no payments made to Honey Baked Ham in the accounting system so i thought i was safe.
apparently we are still getting hams and they were sent out yesterday. those of us who work in the home office will probably get ours next thursday at the holiday party.

I'm a bit surprised that they would pick ham with so many people who don't eat pork due to religious reasons. That is a bit insane.
This.

Also: gross.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:43 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

missmuffcake wrote:
Well, at least there is Tutti Fruti...Only if one was closer to me! The soy option is really creamy!

there's one of these in NY now! BUT I went last week with some friends from school and they were like "oh, both our soy options are broken today. come back next week!" and they don't even have sorbet flavors!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:58 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Tutti Fruti let me down! I had gone like 5 times when they reliably had the soy and I was happy as a clam and then I went in October and they were all "ohhh we're taking a break from that flavor....it should be back by the end of December...or January" so now I'm too scared to get my hopes up and go back and be let down. I know they were selling the shiitake out of it, because I personally was probably buying most of it. It's not even that good tasting, but I like it being soft servey.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:07 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

linanil wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

And even when I ate meat, I wasn't really big fan of ham myself. It would've probably been one of my last choices.

yeah i thought it was really odd myself. i know someone else in the office is Jewish and has given hers to a women's shelter the past two years. there is also a vegetarian in the office. not sure what she does with it. no clue about the status of our 200+ field employees.
i think the CEO thinks it's cool to send everyone a Xmas ham for the holidays like it's the 1950s or something.
that's totally a guess but yeah......
i didnt like pork either when i ate meat a million years ago.
turkey seems like a better selection but i dont want that either ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:09 am 
Dead by dawn

Pork is also one of the most common food allergens. Crappy choice all the way around.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:16 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

It is very 1950s though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:19 am 
Saggy Butt

linanil wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
Yeah, sometimes sorbet can really hit the spot. We have a Ben and Jerry's ice cream social, and they brought mango sorbet. I had like, 4 scoops. It was amazing.

Yeah, mango sorbet is awesome and I like raspberry sorbet too and orange sorbet and... Target has a pretty good sorbet line in their stores.

Chocolate sorbet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:33 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I've never had chocolate sorbet. I don't get it. What's it like? Is it creamy at all?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:36 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

ndpittman wrote:
I've never had chocolate sorbet. I don't get it. What's it like? Is it creamy at all?

It's wonderful in the way that dark chocolate is wonderful. Chocolatey, rich, complex, not too sweet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:50 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

We get a certificate from Honeybaked Ham every year...and every year we give it away. They also distributed the certificates in the middle of Hanukkah.

I really wish they'd start going with a Kroger gift card instead. Then if you want ham, you can get ham, but if you'd rather have a Tofurky or a lasagna, you can get that too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:14 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

monkeytoes wrote:
Pork is also one of the most common food allergens. Crappy choice all the way around.

i had never heard of a pork allergy before (i understand people can be allergic to anything but i had never met someone allergic to pork) and then my sister in law went through this whole huge stomach problem with all sorts of testing and flying to see Drs....etc etc etc.
finally through process of elimination she found out she has an insane pork allergy.

i felt really bad cause that's where the ham ended up last year was with my bro's family because between my brother and two preteen nephews i knew it would at least get eaten. i felt bad bringing something into her house that she couldnt eat or have anything touch though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:28 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Chocolate sorbet > vegan chocolate ice cream

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:02 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Chocolate sorbet is awesome, especially with you throw some dark cherries on it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:06 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I don't understand this sorbet thing. Chocolate sorbet especially. How can chocolate ice possibly be a thing?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Sorbet is not ice. Maybe some of you are thinking of Italian ice or snow cones or something? Or you just had some really bad concoction that someone decided to call sorbet?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:14 pm 
WRETCHED

Chocolate sorbet is good, its hard to explain but yeah I like chocolate sorbet more than chocolate ice cream.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:22 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have had terrible sorbet, and really really nice sorbet.

Crappy sorbet is like fruity ice. It's crunchy, flavorless and gross.

Good sorbet is so creamy and flavorful, it's close to ice cream.

There is this place in Vegas in the Bellagio called Sensei, and I had the most AMAZING sorbet trio the last time I was there. Chocolate, coconut and mango. Served in this HUGE glass bowl. Man that was good.

(that place is good period. Lots of vegan options, and beautiful. But expensive...I only go for work)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:30 pm 
WRETCHED

I'd love a dairy free coconut sorbet but I've seen 3 brands and no go.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:33 pm 

linanil wrote:

Ciao Bella coconut sorbet is amazing. I've got my mom hooked it that (and their chocolate sorbet).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:35 pm 
WRETCHED

mollyjade wrote:
linanil wrote:

Ciao Bella coconut sorbet is amazing. I've got my mom hooked it that (and their chocolate sorbet).

Hmm, I thought Ciao Bella was one of the brands that had dairy in it, I'll have to double check.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:37 pm 

linanil wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
linanil wrote:

Hmm, I thought Ciao Bella was one of the brands that had dairy in it, I'll have to double check.

Nope. http://ciaobellagelato.com/#/products/coconut-sorbet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:41 pm 
WRETCHED

mollyjade wrote:

Maybe I'm blind, I saw 2 brands at Target and looked at both.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 545  Next