| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 547  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:07 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I know all of the kids and know only Z has allergies. There is only 8 of them and this is their second year together. Even the other moms asked me why I was making gluten free fearing Z had a new allergy. However, yes, normally I would see it as dangerous and I politely corrected her anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I know people have brought this up before, but I hate being "outed" to my coworkers. In the past two days, three new people in my lab have mentioned how they heard I'm vegan and then proceed to ask me what I cnsider to be really personal questions. I don't broadcast my dietary habits and I'm not really friends with my coworkers (it's very cliquey) so I know this is coming up as a subject of gossip. Then I feel pressured to answer all these questions from strangers. It really sucks.

My partner said something funny about it. He said you know that joke "how will you know if there's a vegan in the room -- don't worry, they'll tell you"? It should be, you'll know because everyone else in the room will tell you. :-/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:31 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Vantine wrote:
That one is new. I can't even imagine saying that to someone.

It was written on a protest sign.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:37 am 
Nooch of Earl

That Geico commercial where the antelopes or whatever are heckling the lion to go vegan. I mean, it's kind of cute and not really attacking vegans, I mean it's a lion, but still.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:04 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

annak wrote:
That Geico commercial where the antelopes or whatever are heckling the lion to go vegan. I mean, it's kind of cute and not really attacking vegans, I mean it's a lion, but still.

Yeah that one has been bothering me too... I think it's the implication that vegan is a last resort type thing?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:15 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I think it's kinda cute, nothing against veganism. And it has antelopes with night vision goggles...!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:09 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

annak wrote:

I think I'm only annoyed by this because it's a bad joke, not because it has anything to do with vegans.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:38 am 
WRETCHED

lavawitch wrote:
Schools are run by the admin assistants. It is amazing that some teachers don't know this and threat them like they are lackeys. Same thing with custodial staff.

But really, if you are treating people decently and not by what they can do for you, none of that matters. Again, amazing how many don't.

My mom has been a custodian for nearly 30 years and I have so many stories, so many. Basically, people will call her up every single holiday asking for something. My mom will tell my stepfather to answer the phone and say "unless it is so-and-so, tell them I'm not here". Basically, she'll help her friends off hours but the others... I don't think so. And the thing is, the reason they call her is they don't want to call the principal and bother her.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:36 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

That commercial annoys me so much because every single time it comes on everyone in the room with me laaaaughs and then looks at me like "come on, vegan joke, right up your alley" except..you know...no?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:05 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Fee wrote:
That commercial annoys me so much because every single time it comes on everyone in the room with me laaaaughs and then looks at me like "come on, vegan joke, right up your alley" except..you know...no?

do they think you're vegan because the meat was too fast? was it knocking out the light in your refrigerator so you couldn't find it? i can't even figure out what they're thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:55 am 
Nooch of Earl

Yeah I guess it's just a retread of the "vegetarian means bad hunter" jokes, and that's why it bugs me. That and it's ALWAYS on the air, so it's the most frequent reference to veganism on tv and all references to veganism on tv tend to be dismissive and sarcastic and mean-spirited.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:15 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

annak wrote:
Yeah I guess it's just a retread of the "vegetarian means bad hunter" jokes, and that's why it bugs me. That and it's ALWAYS on the air, so it's the most frequent reference to veganism on tv and all references to veganism on tv tend to be dismissive and sarcastic and mean-spirited.

when we went to Yellowstone for vacation this year we spent a day or so in Jackson, WY which is where the airport is. it's a big tourist down towns of souvenir shops etc.

there were tshirts EVERYWHERE about how vegetarians are just bad hunters and there were actually shirts about HUNTING VEGETARIANS. ive never felt so unwelcome somewhere.
i also accidentally went into one store that not only sold fur pelts but there was heads of every type of wild game you could think of on the wall.

we walked in and i saw a couple small taxidermied animals that are animals that are known to live in the park. my husband was like "uhhh i dont think you're going to want to be in here" and i was like "no it's ok i dont like it or agree with it but i know that people hunt out here" then i looked AROUND MORE and saw the dead wolf pelts and the heads of game animals that you would only shoot for sport. then i was trying to get out of the store as fast as possible and kept runnign into things and i was muttering "must get out must get out must get out" i must have looked like a psychopath but i almost had like a major panic attack :-P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:32 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Ok I think my head may have just spun around exorcist style and fire shot out of my eyes. I know I shouldnt let stupid people get to me (especially on facebook) but I honestly cant help it.
I announced my pregnancy on fb today and I made a crack about “the next liberal, hippie, vegan will be arriving around 5/2/13.” So then tons of congrats messages, etc. yay for everyone.
I tagged my husband in the post so people can see it on his wall too. SOME JACKASS WE DON’T EVEN KNOW posts “congrats but please don’t force your child to be a vegan”
WHO THE fork ARE YOU AND WHY DO YOU THINK YOU CAN TELL ME WHAT TO DO?!?!?!
Both my husband and I have misc fb friends we don’t actually know in real life. Im really into obscure indie bands and I have a lot of music “friends” on fb. My husband is really into cars so he has a lot of random car “friends.” Turns out this asshat is some car guy he really doesn’t even know. He said he thinks he’s met him 1-2 times but wouldn’t be able to pick him out of a crowd and maybe it’s time to unfriend him for being completely inappropriate.
I deleted the post but based on his profile pic I think it was a family pic and I think he has 3 kids of his own so he should KNOW not to mess with pregnant ladies!!!

AHHHHHHH IM SO forking ANGRY!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

The amount of people at work who are asking me if I used milk or eggs in my fudge at work is kind of weird. The secretary was like "you didn't want to just use regular milk for us?" and I was like "nah, I don't keep "regular" milk in my house" and she was like "oh...okay, so you would've had to actually go buy it to make it with milk for us"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:50 am 
Bathes in Braggs

LisaPunk, welcome to the world of the pregnant woman. At least no one can tell by looking that you are vegan (unless your t-shirt is advertising it), but the pregnant belly to some people screams "Tell this woman what she should and shouldn't do." I feel your anger. I cultivated the twin arts of shoulder shrugging and smiling and nodding. My rule is only take parenting advice from someone you would entrust your child to, and even then take it with a pinch of salt.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:09 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I just never in a million years would think it’s appropriate to impart my opinion in an announcement/celebration post of SOMEONE I DON’T EVEN KNOW. If one of my misc fb friends posted the complete opposite like “expecting the newest NRA member/republican/meat eater” in 2013 I WOULD NOT THINK IT”S APPROPRIATE TO BRING UP VEGANISM. That is just forked up. Depending on how well I thought I knew the person I might say congrats or “like” the post or I might just IGNORE it and say “to each his own.”
AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
You’re totally right though. The second I announce Im pregnant anywhere it’s like free reign for people to tell me what to do, how I feel, what im experiencing, etc. the thing that strikes me most about pregnancy is it’s SO DIFFERENT for each woman. I mean there are certain things that most or all pregnant women go through but to tell people how they feel is just messed up. People at work are the worst. I do like them as people and consider them friends but man are they a bunch of bossy “mother hen” type women. Im like “don’t tell me what im experiencing right this second just because you had a kid 17 years ago.” Im not even talking about talking about being pregnant or sharing/comparing stories im saying they flat out tell me what I am experiencing at that moment. Drives me absolutely frigging insane.
For the most part people have been respectful about the vegan thing though. Ive had a few people ask very innocently if I need to take more supplements, etc because they are just curious. Im happy to talk with people like that.
This douchebag totally rained on my parade today. Ugh.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:11 pm 
WRETCHED

Lisa - people just don't know. Only time you hear about vegan babies is when they hit the news because some parent decided to only feed their child almond milk or something crazy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:22 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

humans just suck. im gonna go home and pet a guinea pig and then go back into my hermit crab shell :-P

(yes i know im being dramatic ;-) )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:24 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I do not like self-righteous talk like this (from a veagan cook book author - that I like) on FB:

"The kiddo and I went to a potluck yesterday. Literally everyone there offered her nuggets, cookies and cake. When I said "No thank you, she eats real food" they all looked puzzled. And we wonder why there's a childhood obesity epidemic in the U.S."

Why not bring a few vegan dishes and be kind to people? Especially to a potluck where people can sample and you share recipes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:36 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Cookies and cake aren't real food?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:40 pm 
Semen Strong

LisaP, there are trolls on FB. I posted a picture of my daughter at 6 months and said she was crawling and some troll said that she was "rhubarbed" (filtered) because she should be walking and talking by now. What are you going to do? Can't facepunch someone through the internet.

This is brilliant.
Arisaig wrote:
. My rule is only take parenting advice from someone you would entrust your child to, and even then take it with a pinch of salt.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:46 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Tofulish wrote:
LisaP, there are trolls on FB. I posted a picture of my daughter at 6 months and said she was crawling and some troll said that she was "rhubarbed" (filtered) because she should be walking and talking by now. What are you going to do? Can't facepunch someone through the internet.

This is brilliant.
Arisaig wrote:
. My rule is only take parenting advice from someone you would entrust your child to, and even then take it with a pinch of salt.

W.O.W. times like that you DO want to punch people through the internet! that is just so beyond rude. i mean there is so many things wrong with that statement i dont even know where to begin!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

missmuffcake wrote:
I do not like self-righteous talk like this (from a veagan cook book author - that I like) on FB:

"The kiddo and I went to a potluck yesterday. Literally everyone there offered her nuggets, cookies and cake. When I said "No thank you, she eats real food" they all looked puzzled. And we wonder why there's a childhood obesity epidemic in the U.S."

Why not bring a few vegan dishes and be kind to people? Especially to a potluck where people can sample and you share recipes.

The thing that gets me about this is not the "real food" comment as much as the obesity comment. You don't get obese by eating a cupcake at a potluck.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:33 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Fee wrote:
The amount of people at work who are asking me if I used milk or eggs in my fudge at work is kind of weird. The secretary was like "you didn't want to just use regular milk for us?" and I was like "nah, I don't keep "regular" milk in my house" and she was like "oh...okay, so you would've had to actually go buy it to make it with milk for us"

Shut the fork up and eat your goddamn fudge, co-workers!

They should be so lucky! mustards! All of them!

Don't mind me; I'm over caffeinated. Seriously though; fudge!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:37 pm 
WELFARIST!

missmuffcake wrote:

Holy balls. What the hell is wrong with people?

And LisaPunk, it's awesome that your husband is so supportive and agreed with you about that guy. Congrats on your pregnancy, you're going to be an awesome mommy! Don't let that jerk rain on your parade.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 547  Next