| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 424  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:52 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

monkeytoes wrote:
Yeah, and not purchasing vegan products made by not vegan companies is a great way to send the message that there's no market for vegan products. Or to drive vegan companies who share equipment out of business.

I feel the same way. I buy vegan food from a non-vegan store so what?!? Makes me less vegan?

I buy a lot of analog products, I eat Daiya and soy crumblesa few times a week, a new vegan asked me if I felt guilty...I am like "no...i like texture - not death!"...I have been vegan for 12+ years - I like making taco truck tacos that fool my friends with analogs!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:27 pm 
Grandfathered In

People's fascination with canine teeth and the "illogic" of meat analogs is endless.

Usually it's omnis, of course, and not other vegans. "Here's one for you, Smart Guy: If you think it's bad to eat animals, how come you're eating food that's supposed to taste like meat? Game, set, match! See you at the barbecue!"

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

nickvicious wrote:
Real vegans only eat veganic, fair-trade non GMO granola. Get it right people!

I'm a level 6 vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

ETA: According to my subnick, I'm a level 7 vegan. Apparently I one-upped my own Simpsons reference without even realizing it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:21 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

About 2 days into me becoming vegan my colleague said......... you need to take off your shoes. You can't wear leather. Hold up lassie.......you don't have to change your entire wardrobe the day you change.

Now, if it wasn't for the recession I probably would have had shoes ordered and on the way but ya know, my falling apart mary jane docs will be sticking around for another bit. Not too long though because they really are falling apart.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

daisychain wrote:
About 2 days into me becoming vegan my colleague said......... you need to take off your shoes. You can't wear leather. Hold up lassie.......you don't have to change your entire wardrobe the day you change.

Wow, this person actually told you "you need to take off your shoes"? And people accuse vegans of being confrontational. . .

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:26 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yep!

At the time this person was smoking. I don't tell her to take her cancer stick out of her mouth even though she knows it is bad for her.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Once again I am sitting here organizing a lunch for my office that I won't be able to eat! Why doesn't anyone realize that I may be annoyed and feel left out?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:00 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Here's one that's new to me! The restaurant we're going to for my mom's birthday has a tofu dish in a beurre blanc!

I once ordered a fried tofu dish from a chinese restaurant. No sauce or anything. I asked several questions about chicken stock and eggs and so on. I get home and start eating. In the center of each piece of tofu? A scallop.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mollyjade wrote:
In the center of each piece of tofu? A scallop.

-4 yummy (yuck!)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:21 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

mollyjade wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
Here's one that's new to me! The restaurant we're going to for my mom's birthday has a tofu dish in a beurre blanc!

I once ordered a fried tofu dish from a chinese restaurant. No sauce or anything. I asked several questions about chicken stock and eggs and so on. I get home and start eating. In the center of each piece of tofu? A scallop.

I... Words... Cannot... What???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:43 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

mollyjade wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

That almost seems like a middle-finger pointed at vegetarians. And aren't scallops considered shell fish? Don't some people have serious shellfish allergies? Dick move.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:44 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

mollyjade wrote:

Hmm, I'm surprised that scallop wasn't also wrapped in pork. YUM!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:09 pm 
Naked Under Apron

There's an Asian restaurant near my parents' that has homemade tofu, which is made with egg. The menu is full of all sorts of yummy-looking things that look vegan but aren't. The only actual vegan stuff is made with "vegan chicken," which isn't that good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:20 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

mollyjade wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

*barfs*

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:24 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

nickvicious wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

That almost seems like a middle-finger pointed at vegetarians. And aren't scallops considered shell fish? Don't some people have serious shellfish allergies? Dick move.

This was a very traditional Chinese restaurant. The English name of the dish didn't give any clue about the scallops, and who would think to ask that? But I bet it's not unexpected for the kind of restaurant it was. And I tend to (possibly unfairly) assume people don't know what vegan means, so I don't even bring that up unless I'm prepared for a long, involved discussion.

But now this is also reminding me of the time I asked at an Italian restaurant if the marinara was vegetarian (some contain stock), and was told, "no, it's not vegetarian. It has tomatoes. And garlic and oil." Me. "Let me start over. Vegetarian means..."

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

How would they even get the scallop in the middle of the tofu? This makes my brain hurt. Seafood stuffed tofu, who the hell would even think that up?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:30 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

fisticuffs wrote:
Lactose-free milk. It's still actual milk, people.

How about lactose-free ice cream that's still dairy ice cream. I see some in the store in with the So Delicious and the Tofutti and I get all excited and then I see that it's still dairy...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:32 pm 

DreamerSpirit wrote:
I hate when my friends decide to meet up at a restaurant, then tell me that they took me into account when choosing the place because said restaurant has salad. Really? First off, pretty much all restaurants have salad, even shitty fast food places. Second off, I don't generally consider salad to be a meal, as it tends to not be filling enough for me.

I don't mind if my friends want to go out to eat somewhere that doesn't have vegan options other than salad, but if they're going to say that they took me into account when choosing the place, they should at least look into somewhere with falafel or burritos or something more filling and delicious than salad...

Urg, yes! So many people equate being vegan with eating nothing but salads.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:33 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

GraciaKai wrote:
How would they even get the scallop in the middle of the tofu? This makes my brain hurt. Seafood stuffed tofu, who the hell would even think that up?

Tofu stuffed with seafood or pork is a pretty common thing in certain types of Chinese restaurants. Unless there's a separate, explicitly stated "vegetarian" section on the menu and/or the staff speak English well, I would be careful about ordering "tofu" dishes. I think one of the names for it is "yong tao foo" or something like that. Even "vegetable" dishes can sometimes come with surprise proteins.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:33 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

daisychain wrote:

Now, if it wasn't for the recession I probably would have had shoes ordered and on the way but ya know, my falling apart mary jane docs will be sticking around for another bit. Not too long though because they really are falling apart.

That person is a poopiepants. There is no need to apologize for using pregan leather, shoes are a necessity and it's okay to make do with what you have until you can afford to buy new, vegan shoes.

bird noises | book of faces

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Limone wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:

Tofu stuffed with seafood or pork is a pretty common thing in certain types of Chinese restaurants. Unless there's a separate, explicitly stated "vegetarian" section on the menu and/or the staff speak English well, I would be careful about ordering "tofu" dishes. I think one of the names for it is "yong tao foo" or something like that. Even "vegetable" dishes can sometimes come with surprise proteins.

Hmmmmm, all of the chinese take out places around me specify vegetarian not just vegetable. Luckily I've never ordered a tofu dish and had it come with an animal add on. That would peas me off to an extreme level!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:48 pm 

quark wrote:
I hate that google assumes vegan = vegetarian. If you really want vegan search results, you have to put it in quotes. Fork you, google, they're not the same thing!

Yes. This.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:49 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

GraciaKai wrote:
Limone wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:

Hmmmmm, all of the chinese take out places around me specify vegetarian not just vegetable. Luckily I've never ordered a tofu dish and had it come with an animal add on. That would peas me off to an extreme level!

That's good. Fortunately I haven't either, but that's because I always try to research a place before I eat at it. Unfortunately I've had to explain to my family multiple times that "tofu doesn't necessarily mean vegetarian at a Chinese restaurant" and they can't wrap their heads around it, which makes me crazy. When I go visit my dad he'll email me menus for places and say "What do you think of this place for when you come to visit? Lots of tofu dishes!" and I'll look at the menu and it will even SAY tofu with crumbled pork right there! Ahhhhhh!!! He's sort of hilariously crazy anyway though. He's allergic to dairy, so you'd think he would love eating at a vegan restaurant. Except the first time we went to one together he couldn't get his head around what "vegan" meant and kept asking the server "Does this dish have dairy? WELL WHAT ABOUT THIS ONE?" about every freaking thing on the menu. And the waiter kept saying "Um, no, this is a VEGAN restaurant. VEGAN." And he kept asking and asking and asking... it was funny for me, but I felt really bad for the waiter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:53 pm 

paprikapapaya wrote:
Also, my mother-in-law saying that sometimes it's better to not know things. She offers us cookies at her house which aren't vegan (despite her son being vegan for 16 years and me being vegan for 4, she STILL won't accept it), and when we say no, she says, "Why?" And we tell her, "Because they're not vegan." And she ALWAYS says, "Sometimes it's better to not know and just enjoy it anyway."

Yes! When I was first learning how to eat out as a vegan, I ordered something at an Indian place and didn't know what one of the toppings was, and I assumed it would be dairy-free, and then I got the dish and was very obviously not vegan... My friend had the same reaction as your mother-in-law. She suggested I just pretend the topping was vegan, or scrape it off as best I could and eat it anyway. That "logic" makes no sense to me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:03 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Limone wrote:
"surprise proteins"

worst phrase i've heard all day.... ^shudder^

Reply to topic  [ 10595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 424  Next