| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 544  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've never seen a fudge recipe with eggs in. Ever. And I look at a lot of recipes for sweets, mostly not vegan recipes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:38 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

couroupita wrote:

My partner said something funny about it. He said you know that joke "how will you know if there's a vegan in the room -- don't worry, they'll tell you"? It should be, you'll know because everyone else in the room will tell you. :-/

HAHA I am going to email this to my partner...since he is guilty of 'outing' me all the time.

Oh, and congrats on the baby LisaPunk! :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:19 pm 
Grandfathered In

Regardless of what causes obesity, and regardless of whether nuggets and cake are "real food," and regardless of whether "real food" is a useful term, who would say that to someone?

You could say "No, thanks." Why would you have to be such a horrible jerk about it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:25 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Congrats LisaPunk!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:28 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Mr. Shankly wrote:

And LisaPunk, it's awesome that your husband is so supportive and agreed with you about that guy. Congrats on your pregnancy, you're going to be an awesome mommy! Don't let that jerk rain on your parade.

thank you :-)

i was actually surprised my husband agreed. he is SUPER laid back and nothing ever bothers him. i on the other hand obviously am super sensitive and get whipped into a frenzy quite easily. i thought he was going to tell me i was overreacting and just to ignore it but even he said it was uncalled for and maybe he should unfriend him cause he didnt realize he was a tool.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:32 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:32 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Vegan cookbook inflation. Which do I buy? I can't buy everything.

(10 years ago I would be complaining about the lack of vegan cookbooks.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:45 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my more benign pet peeve du jour:
i went to the grocery store on my lunchbreak to get a few items for baking for Xmas stuff because i do NOT want to be in a grocery store on saturday.
it turns out that everyone else on the planet had the same great idea i did and it was crazy busy AND i couldnt find half of what i wanted.

they had chocolate chips aplenty but the spot for the one brand of chocolate chips with no dairy was completely empty :-(
they dont carry soy yogurt but inexplicably had coconut yogurt. i would have totally used that but they only had raspberry and blueberry flavors and i need plain or vanilla
AND i couldnt find where they keep raisins (ok that one is my problem for not knowing where stuff is)

so i guess iwill be back out tomorrow at lunch to brave another store!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:16 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

On the note of not being able to find what you want... In two different shops I couldn't find limes the other day. Today I found them in abundance in another shop but I was too damn demotivated to get some. Lazy or what?!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:40 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I hate when I'm trying to be polite and just say "No thanks!" and then someone has to chime in, no! She wouldn't eat that! She's vegan! Wah, wah! Dude, just leave me alone.

I wish I could remember what my dad was asking me if is vegan. I was like, well, I could eat that, but I choose not to, but just because I don't like it. He tries really hard though, so I try to give him a break (even when he comes to visit for a week and brings a pound of cheese with him--seriously, what is that?! You're not going to go through some terrible cheese withdrawal, and it's not like we don't eat out most of the time anyway! /rant)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:42 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

The folks that organized our department's holiday party told me, 'yeah, we've got you people covered,' meaning the couple of vegetarians, the vegan (me), and the gluten and dairy free people. I guess they intended to order something separate for us, but the day of the party they lost track of time and did not. What they had was water and soda. Lesson learned: bring your own food.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:58 pm 
Impressive boner

LisaPunk wrote:
humans just suck. im gonna go home and pet a guinea pig and then go back into my hermit crab shell :-P

(yes i know im being dramatic ;-) )

Cuddling a guinea pig will cure all sorts of sad or angry moods. Pet that pig good!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:10 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

KrisB wrote:
The folks that organized our department's holiday party told me, 'yeah, we've got you people covered,' meaning the couple of vegetarians, the vegan (me), and the gluten and dairy free people. I guess they intended to order something separate for us, but the day of the party they lost track of time and did not.

They learned that from my boyfriend's mom!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:56 pm 
Nooch of Earl

The "my kid only eats REAL food" author kinda reminds me of the review of every single vegan cookbook ever that goes "This doesn't look very healthy" and gives the book one star. Even when it's something ridiculously obviously not health-minded, like "The Unlard Cookbook" or "Earth Balance Gourmet."

I think that particular peeve may have been mentioned, though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:58 pm 
***LIES!!!***

mmmmmm, the unlard cookbook sounds amazing, someone should write that

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:36 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

missmuffcake wrote:
I do not like self-righteous talk like this (from a veagan cook book author - that I like) on FB:

"The kiddo and I went to a potluck yesterday. Literally everyone there offered her nuggets, cookies and cake. When I said "No thank you, she eats real food" they all looked puzzled. And we wonder why there's a childhood obesity epidemic in the U.S."

Why not bring a few vegan dishes and be kind to people? Especially to a potluck where people can sample and you share recipes.

I couldn't help but comment on this post as well. Urgh, what a clueless person!

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:06 pm 
WRETCHED

annak wrote:
The "my kid only eats REAL food" author kinda reminds me of the review of every single vegan cookbook ever that goes "This doesn't look very healthy" and gives the book one star. Even when it's something ridiculously obviously not health-minded, like "The Unlard Cookbook" or "Earth Balance Gourmet."

I think that particular peeve may have been mentioned, though.

Or "I can't believe the cupcakes contain sugar and white flour! what kind of vegan cookbook is this?'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:17 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

annak wrote:
The "my kid only eats REAL food" author kinda reminds me of the review of every single vegan cookbook ever that goes "This doesn't look very healthy" and gives the book one star. Even when it's something ridiculously obviously not health-minded,

This can be applied to vegan baked goods and sweets! I see dumb comments on food stuff at times! It's like SHUT UP!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:28 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

People at work say this about my cookies sometimes--they can eat more since they are so healthy. So I have to make sure they understand that they are no more weight watchers friendly than any other cookies.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:28 pm 
Semen Strong

Sometimes my pet peeve is that this community is so small, and disagreements feel like in-fighting. If there is an argument on FB with an author who is also on this board, maybe it should stay on FB and not be repeated everywhere else, as gossip.

I totally see trying to educate someone to raise their awareness by mentioning your concerns to them, even on their FB page. But it makes me uncomfortable to see people talking behind the back of someone that we all "know" from these boards.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This is totally not vegan related, but it's a huge pet peeve. There are some tv shows I want to catch up on, like Dexter. I could order the used DVDs pretty cheaply, but then I have *stuff* in the house. I don't want to buy things. But, if I buy the seasons online, they aren't affordable (like $55 instead of $12).

Why can't they reduce the prices on digital tv shows to reflect price drops on the retail packs. I could have bought the season at Costco for $24.

I've been wanting a few shows for a year or two; this is why I still don't have them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:34 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

LW - on a related note, not providing the "extras" when you buy a season online instead of on DVD. If I'm a huge fan (Buffy, 4400), I probably want all the extras and the commentary.

And don't get me started on not offering international streaming for $, especially for a show that has minimal audience in my country so negotiating lucrative broadcast rights isn't an issue. (I'm looking at you, ITV)

On a vegan non-peeve, I mindlessly bought Ritz knock-offs today (after label-checking a dozen other things in the store), got home and smacked myself, thinking they must have butter. But when I checked the ingredients, they do appear to be vegan!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

LisaPunk wrote:
AND i couldnt find where they keep raisins

This is my favorite vegan pet peeve yet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:33 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Tofulish wrote:
Sometimes my pet peeve is that this community is so small, and disagreements feel like in-fighting. If there is an argument on FB with an author who is also on this board, maybe it should stay on FB and not be repeated everywhere else, as gossip.

I totally see trying to educate someone to raise their awareness by mentioning your concerns to them, even on their FB page. But it makes me uncomfortable to see people talking behind the back of someone that we all "know" from these boards.

I thought I had nipped this in the bud but apparently not so, yes, please try not to bring facebook stuff over here. MMC didn't realize that she was discussing a board member, and I don't think it's awful to complain about something like that in the 'vegan pet peeves' thread in general terms, but I think it would be better to engage with the person on their own page, rather than multiple people saying 'ugh what a crasshole', etc.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:53 pm 
***LIES!!!***

People telling me they couldn't be vegan, but sometimes they think they could eat less meat. Who gives a crepe, dude?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 544  Next