| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 544  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Yes, meat-eaters who, after hearing about one's veganism, feel the need to say that they don't eat that much meat. Because they feel guilty. Vegans who eat cooked food don't feel the need to tell raw foodists: "I don't think I could ever be a raw foodist, but I don't eat that much cooked food."

As of "I could never be vegan" I have the replies, but I never needed to use them:
- Oh, you're vegan? I could never be vegan.
- Who's asking you?

- Oh, you're vegan? I could never be vegan.
- Why do you feel so threatened by the mere presence of a vegan that you feel the need to defend yourself?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:35 pm 
***LIES!!!***

This particular person wants me to validate their diet, of course. And validate that they could never be vegan, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:37 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh that is the worst. I can't bless your decision to eat meat. I can't say "eat 10 tofu hot dogs, go forth and sin no more, except with free range eggs and humanely raised grassfed beef." Well I could, but I don't want to.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:41 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Tofu dogs are a goddamn reward

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:47 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I want a tofu dog. Extra ketchup.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:53 pm 
***LIES!!!***

They really are super amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:21 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

Has this been discussed:

Having a non-vegan partner and them getting hated on by vegans?

The boyfriend is not 100% vegan, though he lives vegan 99% of the time, maybe one non-vegan meal a week and no leather or wool. I have had vegans talk shiitake about non-vegan partners around us, people trying to get me on vegan dating sites and other stuff. Honestly people might just assume he is vegan, but it is rude. The worst one was a 'friend' who was like 'ohhh I could never be with a non-vegan' but then looks at my boyfriend and does the 'but your different' thing...The same things racist people do when the find out that they are dissing your ethnicity.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:25 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lavawitch wrote:
This is totally not vegan related, but it's a huge pet peeve. There are some tv shows I want to catch up on, like Dexter. I could order the used DVDs pretty cheaply, but then I have *stuff* in the house. I don't want to buy things. But, if I buy the seasons online, they aren't affordable (like $55 instead of $12).

Why can't they reduce the prices on digital tv shows to reflect price drops on the retail packs. I could have bought the season at Costco for $24.

I've been wanting a few shows for a year or two; this is why I still don't have them.

It looks like you can buy the digital version of a season of Dexter on Amazon for about $23, maybe that would be a good option? For example, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IY ... 765&sr=8-1

Do you have Netflix? You could also rent the DVDs from them, and some cable shows are streaming on Netflix now!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:33 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Awesome! I just checked iTunes, and season 6 is now $20 or $30 for HD. Seems there is a special on some Showtime series, or maybe the price drop is permanent now. I was just kind of randomly grousing today. I think I last checked prices about 2 weeks ago.

Amazon doesn't work for me because I can't watch those videos on my tv.

Netflix lost all the Showtime stuff a year or two ago. I don't get the DVD service.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:54 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lavawitch wrote:
Awesome! I just checked iTunes, and season 6 is now $20 or $30 for HD. Seems there is a special on some Showtime series, or maybe the price drop is permanent now. I was just kind of randomly grousing today. I think I last checked prices about 2 weeks ago.

Netflix lost all the Showtime stuff a year or two ago. I don't get the DVD service.

Oh, sorry! I thought maybe watching through the computer would be ok. I hook my computer up to my TV but not all TVs have the right ports to do that. I didn't realize Netflix didn't have any Showtime shows! I sorta lump all the pay-for channels together in my mind so I must have been thinking of the HBO shows that are on Netflix streaming. Glad to hear it's on iTunes though!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:29 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I could hook my laptop up, but I'd have to buy the cables and it would be a pain in the rear. Anything I can put in iTunes, I can stream to my tv, or if it's stuff from iTunes, can watch direct.

Which HbO shows are still on Netflix? Netflix used to have some SHO stuff. Actually, it's hard to keep track. Once in a whole they get Sony stuff, like the Bond movies, then, suddenly, they are all gone again. His has happened two or three times.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:26 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I survived both holiday parties this week and I am happy to report both went relatively well eating wise. My husband’s work party I was able to order off the vegetarian menu and there were 2 vegan choices. I got an Asian stir fry that was pretty good. I think it had a full sodium soy sauce sauce so by the time I finished it I was like “WHOA SALTY” but vegan-wise it was good.
I was dreading my own work party last night. They had told me ahead of time they could get me a “vegan salad” and pasta primavera. I was really expecting a couple pieces of wilty lettuce and no dressing. I couldn’t figure out what “vegan salad” meant otherwise :-P and ever single becoming a vegetarian a million years ago I have HATED pasta primavera. I feel llike it’s a weaksauce “oh the vegetarians need food to so will give them some overcooked pasta and throw some soggy vegetables on it.” the meal was actually pretty good. The weird thing is that there are 2 other vegetarians in the office (ok 1 other veg and 1 person who goes around talking about being a vegetarian constantly but openly eats chicken) and they both got I believe eggplant parm but no salad. For some reason only the vegan got a salad which was just a standard tossed salad. That struck me as odd! Anyways. the pasta primavera was pretty good. It was ziti and big chunks of pepper, zucchini, squash, and sweet potato. My only complaint is the sweet potato was SUPER undercooked. That’s not really a vegan problem though ;-)
HOWEVER after eating most of the dish I began to get a bit suspicious of the flavor (I don’t have a great palate so these things are obvious to me right away) and while im not 100% sure im pretty certain there was butter in my pasta :-/ so they understood enough that I couldn’t eat cheese but butter was ok?
*le sigh*

Other than what I think was butter it was a pretty good week. OH! And I didn’t get a HAM! Yay!! They remembered!!! I was so happy! I think if I got my gifty bag and there was a ham in it I would have cried. For real. Everyone was saying that I should have gotten something in place of it and maybe that’s true but really I just didn’t want a pig tortured and slaughtered for me personally. That was enough of an Xmas gift for me 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:46 am 
Flounceiad 2011

8ball wrote:
Cuddling a guinea pig will cure all sorts of sad or angry moods. Pet that pig good!
In fact, simply saying or thinking the phrase "Pet that pig good!" will cure a wide variety of sadness and/or crankiness. (It just worked for me!)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:52 am 
Not NOT A Furry

missmuffcake wrote:
Has this been discussed:

Having a non-vegan partner and them getting hated on by vegans?

The boyfriend is not 100% vegan, though he lives vegan 99% of the time, maybe one non-vegan meal a week and no leather or wool. I have had vegans talk shiitake about non-vegan partners around us, people trying to get me on vegan dating sites and other stuff. Honestly people might just assume he is vegan, but it is rude. The worst one was a 'friend' who was like 'ohhh I could never be with a non-vegan' but then looks at my boyfriend and does the 'but your different' thing...The same things racist people do when the find out that they are dissing your ethnicity.

Several other vegans asked me how I can be in a relationship with a meat-eater. As if that was the only important characteristic of a human being.

I never used these replies, but probably will next time, if there is next time:

If the person asking is rude: "Vegans like you are the reason I like spending time with some meat-eaters more."

If the person asking is polite: "Vegans will be vegans no matter who they are with. By being with a meat-eater I can be a positive influence, cook for them, buy them cruelty-free products, and in the end, that's better for the animals."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:58 am 
Nailed to the V

rhelune wrote:
Vegans who eat cooked food don't feel the need to tell raw foodists: "I don't think I could ever be a raw foodist, but I don't eat that much cooked food."

eheh, actually they do, I've seen such thing!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:11 am 
Not NOT A Furry

FFS!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:49 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

rhelune wrote:

Several other vegans asked me how I can be in a relationship with a meat-eater. As if that was the only important characteristic of a human being.

If the person asking is polite: "Vegans will be vegans no matter who they are with. By being with a meat-eater I can be a positive influence, cook for them, buy them cruelty-free products, and in the end, that's better for the animals."

I have seen vegans couple up with other vegans just because they are vegan....Then go back to being single months later. I wonder why?

Also I totally think that you can be a positive influence on the one you're with. My boyfriend digs cruelty free stuff like Herban Cowboy, Lush and vegan footwear. Not to mention I veganize the fork out of dude food like Jack In The Box tacos, BBQ platters, nachos and pizza! When we got together none of this was going on but it has been a shift and he sticks with it!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:56 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yeah, I couldn't see not dating omnis. It's just... there's so many of them, and so many of them are cute, so why not cook delicious vegan food for them and wait to see what happens?

At work yesterday the bakery guy (works right next to us) was talking, loudly, about hunting and how much fun it was. And I have no proof but it seems like he was just doing it to annoy me, as it had nothing to do with anything and he'd been mildly annoyed early that I wouldn't drink his eggnog and coke mixture. (I wouldn't drink that even if I wasn't vegan.) Why do that? What is the point?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:05 am 
Dead by dawn

All things being equal, of course I'd rather date another vegan. But the thing with people is that they're individuals and there's no "all things being equal." There's not another biker boy out there who is identical in every way except vegan. If someone wants to think that I'm not vegan because of who I am in love with, more power to 'em.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:07 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

monkeytoes wrote:
All things being equal, of course I'd rather date another vegan. But the thing with people is that they're individuals and there's no "all things being equal." There's not another biker boy out there who is identical in every way except vegan. If someone wants to think that I'm not vegan because of who I am in love with, more power to 'em.

Samesies! Mostly everyone is super nice because of the immigration bullshiitake.

That and most of the vegans I know IRL are PPKers and AWESOME. I'm sorry you have to deal with that MMC.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:12 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

missmuffcake wrote:

Also I totally think that you can be a positive influence on the one you're with. My boyfriend digs cruelty free stuff like Herban Cowboy, Lush and vegan footwear. Not to mention I veganize the fork out of dude food like Jack In The Box tacos, BBQ platters, nachos and pizza! When we got together none of this was going on but it has been a shift and he sticks with it!

This is a really good point. As human beings we're always influencing and learning from each other and changing. I don't expect anyone I date ever to become vegan, but I know that they learn a lot and gain a positive image of veganism through me. Just like I learn other points of view through them.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:17 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my husband is an omni. i dont envision him ever going full vegan or even vegetarian but he's stopped eating beef and pork. and not just like around me. we've gone to friends or his family and he has refused beef or pork and i dont think it's just because im there. i think he has decided of his own accord he doesnt want to.

he still eats poultry, fish, and dairy but since i do most of the cooking at home he is borderline vegan at home.

im so ridiculously proud of him because it was never something i forced on him. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:21 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I don't get it from vegans but I get it a lot from omnis about dating an omni. Like they can't believe my boyfriend eats meat and I don't. How does it work?! How do we go out to eat?! What if he wants me to cook him a steak?!

Everytime someone asks me about it in disbelief I kind of pity their relationships. Thankfully I love someone who can make his own goddamn steak if he wants one. And knows enough to not talk to me about it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:25 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I do have to say, I did turn one vegan pet peeve around. My dad is staying with me, and I have these really awesome cookies that I like to take for a work snack. They're a local company, Bonnievilles, and they have have a decent amount of protein, no refined sugars, gluten free, etc. They're one of the best store-bought cookies I've ever had though. ANYWAY, I was grabbing one for work yesterday (with only one left) and was like, Dad, there's another protein cookie here if you want it! And I knew the way that I said it made me think it'd be 'healthy,' so he wasn't interested. Which mean that today's snack is secure! Except that I'm already eating it. Mmm... cookie...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:30 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lavawitch wrote:

I hate that iTunes here doesn't have TV shows. Seriously annoying. I actually hate buying DVDs now because of all that packaging. And netflix here seriously sucks! It only has fairly old stuff on it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 544  Next