| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12032 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 482  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:30 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

LisaPunk wrote:
my husband is an omni. i dont envision him ever going full vegan or even vegetarian but he's stopped eating beef and pork. and not just like around me. we've gone to friends or his family and he has refused beef or pork and i dont think it's just because im there. i think he has decided of his own accord he doesnt want to.

he still eats poultry, fish, and dairy but since i do most of the cooking at home he is borderline vegan at home.

im so ridiculously proud of him because it was never something i forced on him. :-)

Yes, that is how it is with my partner. 99% Vegan at home but I see that he is turned off by meat a lot of the time. He generally eats vegetarian when we are out, by his own accord. Sometimes, when we go out and he gets a big ole steak, he complains that his tummy hurts. I think his palette has changed a lot. I love that it came about organically, not by manipulation or cohersion on my part :)

Semi peeve...at my partners work party, they had vegan ravioli (yes, it really WAS vegan!). It was pretty good. So good, that it all got eaten by the time I got to that part of the buffet :-/

They did make some more, but I had to wait. Oh well. It was kind of cool that everyone was telling me how awesome it was. In the "I can't believe something vegan tasted good" kind of way.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:41 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Ive noticed the same thing in my husband. When we go to Chipotle he now gets a veggie burrito (with cheese and sour cream but veggie still!) instead of chicken. When we get thai food he gets tofu instead of chicken. When we go to an actual sitdown restaurant he will usually get chicken or fish but it’s still an improvement.
He is an electrical engineer and one of the things his company makes is some sort of monitoring devise and one of the things it’s used in is oil wells. Occasionally he has to go to some super remote part of Texas were everyone is super Christian, super right wing, and super big into hunting. He comes home telling me these horror stories about how all they talk about is hunting and shooting coyotes for fun. They go on and on and on about how anyone who voted for Obama is an idiot and how could you do that (my husband voted for Obama……twice). Anyways pretty much everything to eat out there is steak. So the last time he went he had steak. He came home and man oh man. He had the worst stank farts ever (sorry TMI) and didn’t feel good for like 2 days. I was like “hmmm could it be that STEAK you had!” ;-)
I told him in the middle of one of these conversations with them when it gets uncomfortable he should just say he married a super liberal, anti gun, vegan and see what happens. :-O

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:50 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My boyfriend became a vegetarian about a year after we started dating (I was only a vegetarian at the time too). I think one day he will eventually become vegan. It is hard for him because he works in Switzerland a few months out of the year and would be difficult there. Maybe he'll be vegan except there or something. He never orders anything with animal products really though, unless we go out to a non veg place for breakfast. He knows I want to eat his food so he'll just get sour cream on the side at chipotle, etc. He lives in NYC so we pretty much only go to veg restaurants. The other morning he had tofu scramble for breakfast at a restaurant which makes my heart do all kinds of back flips :)

His dad is a real asparagus about it though. When he became a vegetarian his dad said, "are you going to start wearing tampons now?"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:13 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

veggiepalooza wrote:
His dad is a real asparagus about it though. When he became a vegetarian his dad said, "are you going to start wearing tampons now?"

ugh. The Emasculating men that are vegan/vegetarian is a HUGE peeve.

Occasionally, my partner will get teased for eating vegan all the time at home. It will come up in conversation, they will look at him sadly and say something about how if he needs to eat some MAN FOOD he can always come over, or some stupid shiitake like that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:27 pm 
Dead by dawn

Mine will never go vegan. I just don't see it happening. But he brags up my cooking, loves vegetables maybe more than I do, and very willingly eats tofu. He and his friends always make sure I have good food to eat and he'd never let anyone give me crepe about it. When we get Thai or Indian we always order all vegan and share. Seeing as how I love him and all, that's good enough for me.

Oh, and he can cook his own damn steak.

Last edited by monkeytoes on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i hate how him eating mainly vegan at home seems to translate to other's as something i force on him and i dont "allow" him to eat meat.

im so sick of the cracks when we go other places that "oh now you can eat meat"
it's like he knows how to cook, if he wants chicken, there's the grocery store, there's the stove. have at it.

i dont like being painted as the controlling wife.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:36 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

LisaPunk wrote:
i hate how him eating mainly vegan at home seems to translate to other's as something i force on him and i dont "allow" him to eat meat.

My mom was like that because we stopped going to her weekly BBQs. Simply put we just did not feel like going since our schedules changed. I told my mom something about a vegetable dish my boyfriend did not like and she said "well, missmuffcake he is not vegan!!!!"...She has actually said this a few times.

When we go out to eat we only eat vegan, he tells his co-workers he is vegan (because he likes vegan food outside them home as well) and is a vegan advocate. One meal if that a week is not vegan. He will not buy leather or wool and most of his grooming stuff is cruelty free we are trying to phase out a few more things due to cruelty free status and artificial fragrance crepe. Will he ever be 100% vegan, I am not sure, however 3 years ago thinking of this big change did not seem possible. I am happy with what he has done!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:48 pm 
WRETCHED

My husband went vegan shortly after me, we only had the short period where he was vegan at home and not vegan outside of home. He did have the thing where he was eating animal products infrequently enough that when he did eat them, his stomach hurt so he stopped completely.

And the only vegans I know are PPK vegans which is a pretty non-judgemental group.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Chicki wrote:
veggiepalooza wrote:

ugh. The Emasculating men that are vegan/vegetarian is a HUGE peeve.

Occasionally, my partner will get teased for eating vegan all the time at home. It will come up in conversation, they will look at him sadly and say something about how if he needs to eat some MAN FOOD he can always come over, or some stupid shiitake like that.

Ugh I know right. When my boyfriend went vegetarian it was so upsetting to see the way people reacted to him as a guy about it. Oppressive gender constructs suck!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:24 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

So Brian, who is a vegetable hating vegetarian, is visiting his dad and checked into a seafood restaurant on foursquare. Dude does not know how to say no sometimes. What the hell is he going to eat?!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

his napkin?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:31 pm 
WRETCHED

hope Brian has a powerbar or something!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:34 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My husband is vegan at home. Vegetarian outside of the home as he still transitioning. I happen to pack his breakfasts and lunches for work so they are vegan. At first his coworkers made fun of him. Then they started eating my baked goods and now ask me to pack extras. I'm pretty sure they think I'm forcing it all upon him though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:16 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

mrsbadmouth wrote:
So Brian, who is a vegetable hating vegetarian, is visiting his dad and checked into a seafood restaurant on foursquare. Dude does not know how to say no sometimes. What the hell is he going to eat?!

Oysters!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:24 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

mrsbadmouth wrote:

Poor fella might get a decent meal tonight with plenty of protein.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Fee wrote:
I don't get it from vegans but I get it a lot from omnis about dating an omni. Like they can't believe my boyfriend eats meat and I don't. How does it work?! How do we go out to eat?!

Somebody recently asked me and my SO that. There was another couple with us, a smoker and a non-smoker. Nobody asked them how it works.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Dishes that are vegan, down to even specifying vegan worscheshire sauce, and then smear cheese all over it.
I was the idiot today who made it to the last line of ingredients for. BBQ portobello sandwich and thought, "everything is specified as vegan," stopped reading, bought it, and bit into a hunk of goat cheese.

Fun fact: cheese is nasty. It's been five years since I've had any.

I hate you, PCC. I just ate half a bag of kettle chips for lunch because I have no more money to waste on food while my coworkers get free chili made and brought in by coworkers.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:30 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I am planning a mini-break out of town in a rural area, and I hate that I have to worry about food.

I am worried about not being able to eat anything at all, so I am planning on bringing a carton of soy milk and a jar of peanut butter. But also, more on a superficial level: food is part of being away for holidays too and that joy is being denied to me. I would love it to be able to just walk into a nice restaurant and just sit down and order something, rather than knowing beforehand that the only warm meal I can foresee to be available is a pizza ordered sans cheese.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:31 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

choirqueer wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

Oysters!

Soysters!

Speaking of seafood, I went to Red Lobster today for a coworker's going-away lunch. I figured they'd have something for me (despite being an obv meat-based place), but there was literally nothing vegan on the lunch menu. I had a nice meal of grilled vegetables with a side of the same vegetables but microwaved. It normally comes with rice, but they premake the rice and put butter in it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Chain restaurants are just the worst. It doesn't even make sense! Why would you not want to accommodate 10% of the population (vegetarian, anyway), plus whoever feels like a veg dish?

It doesn't cost them anything since they could easily create something tasty using things they already have.

Hell, look how well some of the fast food places manage to do, despite themselves. If Subway, Chipotle, Taco Bell, etc can feed a vegan, why can't their more upscale brethren?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:37 pm 
WRETCHED

Yes, you'll generally have better luck at a steak restaurant than a seafood restaurant. For some reason, they never have anything for vegans. Bonefish used to have a pasta dish with grilled veggies but when I went there to ask, they said they discontinued it due to lack of popularity. Instead I custom made a salad for myself telling them to bring me a salad without cheese, some of their grilled vegges, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Red Lobster is THE WORST. I haven't had tremendous luck at steak places either, unless I call ahead and have an extensive conversation about it.

Paloma - that sucks. Are you going anywhere with some nicer restaurants that you could call ahead and have them plan something for you? I made a trip to rural Idaho once to see family and I wound up with a couple really nice meals at places that don't have anything vegan on the menu. We picked the most "upscale" restaurants in town, called in the afternoon when they weren't busy/weren't open yet, and talked directly to the chefs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

lavawitch wrote:
Chain restaurants are just the worst. It doesn't even make sense! Why would you not want to accommodate 10% of the population (vegetarian, anyway), plus whoever feels like a veg dish?

It doesn't cost them anything since they could easily create something tasty using things they already have.

Hell, look how well some of the fast food places manage to do, despite themselves. If Subway, Chipotle, Taco Bell, etc can feed a vegan, why can't their more upscale brethren?

i went to the 99 once (fridays??) and there was literally nothing without meat or cheese so i asked for some salad w/o the chicken or cheese and they said they couldnt because the SALAD was PREMADE and came to them like that.

i dont think i ate anyting that day :-P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:16 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

RAGE!!! The supermarket I tend to frequent labels their vegetarian stuff with a black v and their vegan suitable stuff with a white v. I nearly did a dance down the aisle when I found mince pies with a white v and a pack of onion rings (a corn based chip type thing) with a white v so they went in my trolley. I got home and ripped my way into the onion rings straight away and while I was half way through I stopped to pop on the kettle and rip open the mince pies. Just as I had the box opened I noticed "Contains milk." FFS!

Then I picked up the onion rings.... "Contains milk."

I now have a sick stomach. Dreading the dose of diarrhoea I will definitely get tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:05 am 
Semen Strong

Vegans who support veganism with fake science.

So now apparently broc and tomato will prevent prostate cancer, though no one knows how. I wish we could just say that it reduces the incidence of prostate cancer instead of implying full prevention.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12032 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 482  Next