| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12614 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 505  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:25 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:51 am
Posts: 1000
Location: RI
annak wrote:
http://california.legoland.com/plan/dietary_guide/


maybe you can build a model of a vegan meal out of legos.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:26 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:44 pm
Posts: 2146
I am also confused about what they mean by sterilizing the utensils. I think we all want our knives/forks clean, but I doubt they have an autoclave to do it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:28 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:51 am
Posts: 1000
Location: RI
kimba wrote:
I am also confused about what they mean by sterilizing the utensils. I think we all want our knives/forks clean, but I doubt they have an autoclave to do it.


As a vegan I require new silverware to be melded specifically for me every time I eat a meal.

I'm not even sure if melded is a thing. Or how they make silverware.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:53 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:00 am
Posts: 470
annak wrote:
http://california.legoland.com/plan/dietary_guide/


I love that they have this dietary guide, even though some of the language is weird. But why are the apple fries not listed as vegetarian or vegan? What is in a fried apple that is not at least vegetarian? Please tell me this is an error because I forking live for those thing! I'm just going to conveniently forget that I ever saw this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:03 pm 
Offline
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 7973
Location: Brasil
i know it's small consolation, as there's nothing to frigging eat, but at least they're frank about it?

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:47 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:35 am
Posts: 496
erynne936 wrote:
kimba wrote:
I am also confused about what they mean by sterilizing the utensils. I think we all want our knives/forks clean, but I doubt they have an autoclave to do it.


As a vegan I require new silverware to be melded specifically for me every time I eat a meal.

I'm not even sure if melded is a thing. Or how they make silverware.


They make (meld) silverware out of baby bunny rabbits, didn't you know?! That why vegans have to drink all their food blended through natural reed straws.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:05 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:14 am
Posts: 112
Location: Regina, Sk.
Scouting a place I was invited to for dinner tomorrow:

Image

The fork?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:07 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm
Posts: 3236
Location: Ireland
My friend called and invited me to her house for dinner tomorrow. Her idea of a vegan dinner is mashed potatoes with milk and butter, veggies from the freezer with butter on it and a veggie burger (that contains milk and cheese). I declined and quickly changed the topic.

_________________
Meowchickameow meow! - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:12 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5297
Location: United States of New England
Avocatom wrote:
Scouting a place I was invited to for dinner tomorrow:

Image

The fork?


this must be for the person i work with who tells everyone loudly she is a vegetarian and has been for 5 years and then at our "birthday lunch" each month at work eats chicken.

you know......chicken is made of veggies :-P

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:14 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:14 am
Posts: 112
Location: Regina, Sk.
I voted 1 star on that lasagna by the way. Brought the average down to 4 stars. That'll show 'em.

daisychain wrote:
My friend called and invited me to her house for dinner tomorrow. Her idea of a vegan dinner is mashed potatoes with milk and butter, veggies from the freezer with butter on it and a veggie burger (that contains milk and cheese). I declined and quickly changed the topic.


It's always fun when people actually put in effort to accommodate you, but don't go the whole way. Then you get to be the crasshole when you decline. And be hungry!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:59 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm
Posts: 3236
Location: Ireland
Avocatom wrote:

It's always fun when people actually put in effort to accommodate you, but don't go the whole way. Then you get to be the crasshole when you decline. And be hungry!


It is so awkward! That and her cooking isn't all that anyway. It is pretty naff. I've often been served cold oven chips and cold, cheap, plain pizza in her house. Her cooking is one of the reasons that motivated me to go vegan. I'm fussy about food. I like it to actually taste pretty damn good and at a reasonable temperature.

_________________
Meowchickameow meow! - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:19 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V

Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:19 pm
Posts: 538
Location: Sacred City, California
Articles like this one: http://jezebel.com/5971841/vegan-wine-- ... dding-ever

Apparently, serving vegan food makes you the worst party host EVER, and totally selfish, and an all-around sucky person. This strikes a chord with me because I plan to have a vegan wedding, and am already hearing bisqueing about how I'll be 'pushing my beliefs' on everyone. Usually, this comes from someone who had a meaty-cheesy-bready-fishy wedding buffet with nothing for even vegetarians to eat, but that seems to be okay...?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:55 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9570
Location: Seattle
I hate that stuff. They can't forgo meat and cheese for one freakin evening?!

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:00 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
Honestly, I don't think I have anything but pity left for people who can't face the idea of a single goddamned meal without cheese.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:17 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12088
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
FootFace wrote:
I hate that stuff. They can't forgo meat and cheese for one freakingly evening?!


Its soooo important that people get exactly what they prefer to eat! Unless they are vegans or something stupid like that, in which case they can have an iceberg lettuce cup with the shrimp salad scraped off.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:21 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5488
Location: A New England
SassyOh wrote:
Articles like this one: http://jezebel.com/5971841/vegan-wine-- ... dding-ever

Apparently, serving vegan food makes you the worst party host EVER, and totally selfish, and an all-around sucky person. This strikes a chord with me because I plan to have a vegan wedding, and am already hearing bisqueing about how I'll be 'pushing my beliefs' on everyone. Usually, this comes from someone who had a meaty-cheesy-bready-fishy wedding buffet with nothing for even vegetarians to eat, but that seems to be okay...?
FootFace wrote:
I hate that stuff. They can't forgo meat and cheese for one freakingly evening?!
kilgore trout wrote:
Honestly, I don't think I have anything but pity left for people who can't face the idea of a single goddamned meal without cheese.
Exactly. And the worst part is that sometimes this sort of thing can actually create a problem where none even needs to exist. Last NYE I had my very dear, but very meat-and-potatoes-centric friend over for dinner, and served her a vegan version of a meal she loves: BBQ beans, macaroni and cheese, and cornbread (I also had collards for the rest of us, which I knew she wouldn't touch but I need my greens, dammit). And you know what? She ate a huge plate of it because it was delicious. If I'd made a big huge deal about what she "couldn't" have at my house (i.e. meat or dairy), it would have come off as something negative/controlling/withholding/whatever, but as it was she enjoyed a yummy meal with friends, that was prepared and served with love. And even putting all that aside, haven't we all had meals that just happened not to contain any animal products? Like a feast of hummus, falafel, baba ghanoush, and grape leaves, for instance? Articles like this just assume that it's pointless to even give people a chance.

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:25 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3651
Location: Nashville, TN
SassyOh wrote:
Articles like this one: http://jezebel.com/5971841/vegan-wine-- ... dding-ever

Apparently, serving vegan food makes you the worst party host EVER, and totally selfish, and an all-around sucky person. This strikes a chord with me because I plan to have a vegan wedding, and am already hearing bisqueing about how I'll be 'pushing my beliefs' on everyone. Usually, this comes from someone who had a meaty-cheesy-bready-fishy wedding buffet with nothing for even vegetarians to eat, but that seems to be okay...?


At least the comments seem to be like 90% rational, normal people, which is rare.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:05 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
Honestly, once upon a time, I too would've thought that peanut butter and jelly was the only not-disgusting vegan food possible. You know. When I was like, nine.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:38 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:10 pm
Posts: 297
Location: Temperate rainforest with a capital RAIN
a) ~*Tumblr Vegans*~
b) People I like and respect reacting to said ~*Tumblr Vegans*~

http://24.media.tumblr.com/7c8eadefe3384c37778ba7967f8ef844/tumblr_mfnoo19DGN1qak6ufo1_500.jpg

I just don't think this is helpful messaging to anyone who eats meat, at all. Vegans don't eat rainbows, vegans eat food, just like anyone else. And yes, I'm including meat under that heading, because to a vast number of people in the world, meat is a food item, even if it doesn't really look like one to me any more. The only difference is that vegans eat plant food and not animal food! Why not make an infographic explaining veganism in terms of things an omnivore might actually care about? Animal cruelty? Resource management? Anything other than vegan sparklemagic?

And then of course, people respond to this particular brand of holier-than-thou crepe as expected...

Quote:
HOLY shiitake NO HUMANS ARE OMNIVORES THIS IS TERRIBLE

IT’S ALMOST LIKE WE’RE PRIMATES OR SOMETHING

ok but seriously ‘do you feed on rainbows’? what do you think you are, a goddamn pixie? if you can afford the time/effort/money to attempt constructing a balanced diet out of only plants and chemicals, and your health can stand it, go right ahead, have fun with that. but being horrified that humans eat animals, as if it’s some kind of forking surprise?

twee, disingenuous, privileged, first-world bullshiitake. grow up.


Quote:
i smile when i think about how our sparkly-eyed little flesh messiahs are so sure their politics are forever and ever amen. i smile real big when they judge people and when they distort science and when they whine whine whiiiine about how they’re better than everyone who can’t afford to eat like them and when they go around patting themselves on the back for being the only people on earth who have souls.

why do i smile? because in ten years they will be like everyone else, and there’s nothing they can do to stop it.

oh yes. you’ll change your minds, guys. it’s the nature of the cultish mindset to obsess and abandon. enjoy that self-appointed sainthood while it lasts, because it has a short-ass shelf life.

ten years from now, you will chow down. you will appreciate a variety of food without turning your nose up at it because your politics are more important than your interest in being grateful for the cornucopia of nutrition you have access to as an Amerian.

but mostly i smile because once the process takes hold, every thanksgiving you will beg your parents not to tell the bloodmouth story this year as you carve the turkey, please, mom, please, okay, i’m forking begging you, just ONE TIME could you not drag that groaner out of the hit parade?

and mom and dad will snicker, and you’ll hear those hated words, that awful punchline: “so cousin bob, did you know River here used to be involved with PETA?”

my stomach is a graveyard haunted by the moans of the imminently disillusioned, and it tastes pretty forking yummy.


I'm not a vegan because I want to shiitake unicorn sparkles - I sat down and thought about all this and decided that for me it was a useful and easy way to have a positive impact on the world as best I could. And I appreciate that choosing to be a vegan isn't feasible for everyone in every situation, maybe now or maybe ever - but that self-appointed sainthood? Yeah, that passed. When I was about fifteen. The self-righteous stick in my arse eventually passed through my digestive system but funnily enough the veganism stayed.

(It's so weird to me that people seem to think I spend time planning my meals because I'm vegan and monitoring my nutrition any more than any omni might - at least because I'm vegan and not because I'm slightly obsessive-compulsive and need numbers to fiddle. 'Did I get enough protein today? I'mma eat some lentil soup.')


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:12 am 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
That reminded me, my pet peeve are people who claim that they don't eat chemicals (both vegans and non-vegans). Although they are made of chemicals.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:30 am 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:14 am
Posts: 112
Location: Regina, Sk.
I'll co-sign that one. Also, people who demonize all processed food as if all processing is equally unhealthy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:51 am 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Yes, even chopping is processing. They process food themselves.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:11 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:10 pm
Posts: 297
Location: Temperate rainforest with a capital RAIN
Avocatom wrote:
I'll co-sign that one. Also, people who demonize all processed food as if all processing is equally unhealthy.

rhelune wrote:
That reminded me, my pet peeve are people who claim that they don't eat chemicals (both vegans and non-vegans). Although they are made of chemicals.


Yes! These two! A hundred times over, these two!

Fine, say 'I don't eat synthetic chemicals' or 'I won't eat heat-processed food,' even if you can't tell my why you don't do those things. Just please at least be accurate in what you're saying!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:12 am 
Offline
Sick of Cupcakes
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:35 pm
Posts: 6689
Location: Norristown, PA
Hey, I totally eat rainbows and shiitake unicorn sparkles!

_________________
Man, fork the gender card, imma come at you with the whole damned gender deck. - Olives
Did you ever think that, like, YOU are a sexy costume FOR a diva cup? - solipsistnation
blog! FB!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:22 am 
Offline
Sick of Cupcakes
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 6795
Location: Modesto, CA
DEG wrote:
annak wrote:
http://california.legoland.com/plan/dietary_guide/


What is in a fried apple that is not at least vegetarian? Please tell me this is an error because I forking live for those thing! I'm just going to conveniently forget that I ever saw this.



They could fry it in lard or something....but I doubt the batter is vegan, due to milk or egg.

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12614 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 505  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer