| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12032 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 482  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:56 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

After reading the stories in this thread, I told my husband he better bring me food if I ever end up in the hospital! So pitiful that a hospital can't accommodate a vegan diet or fathom the idea of making a meal of vegetables, beans, and grains. Or putting seasonings on something.

The warmed block of tofu takes the cake. Um, that's why people think tofu tastes bad! LOL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:31 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

When I was high school I was hospitalized. I was a vegetarian at the the time and for a meal I was offered a cheese sandwich they picked the meat out of. Thank goodness I was way to sick to eat...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:28 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I was surprised with the hospital when I gave my kidney because it was at the Mayo and I really thought they would have a vegan friendly menu. Good thing I was also too sick to have more than juice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:50 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I think hospitals are slowly changing. There were several tasty vegan options on the menu at Providence St. Vincent in Portland when I had surgeries 2 years ago, including Teriyaki tofu and veggies w/ rice. Of course the rice was white.....

So I guess that's my peeve, that some vegan restaurants (as well as hospitals!) don't offer whole grain breads and rice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:25 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

FootFace wrote:
You can't expect nutritionists in hospitals to know about... nutrition... in hospitals? I guess?

I think I have posted this before in a different thread, but when my mother was in hospital a year or so ago, her consultant actually told us that he thought one of the reasons she was not healing as well as he expected was because her nutritional needs were not being met, and "could we bring in food for her?" (my mum is vegetarian). We could and we did, but what the hell??

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:48 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I really hate it when people talking about "eating clean." It's meaningless and stupid. I'm not dirty if I choose to eat an oreo (or several.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:00 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ashley wrote:
I really hate it when people talking about "eating clean." It's meaningless and stupid. I'm not dirty if I choose to eat an oreo (or several.)

Well that was weird. I am eating Oreo knockoffs and was just complaining to a friend about the same thing, haha. Unless you dropped your food in dirt or something, it's freaking clean!

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:36 pm 

Truth be told, I'd still probably eat an oreo that fell in the dirt.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:46 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

ashley wrote:

I once ate an oreo that had been stuck to a stop sign with peanut butter for about 24 hours. I was young and into really benign but stupid things.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:49 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

ashley wrote:

Ugh yes I hate this.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:03 am 

people saying they are going vegan then eating a bunch of seafood and gross shiitake the next month...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:05 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Oreos aren't vegan here :'(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:08 am 

j-dub wrote:
ashley wrote:

I once ate an oreo that had been stuck to a stop sign with peanut butter for about 24 hours. I was young and into really benign but stupid things.

That is the best combination! Minus the stop sign.

When I was a kid, I'd split them open, spread peanut butter on top of the cream filling, and close them back up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:18 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

ashley wrote:
j-dub wrote:
ashley wrote:

That is the best combination! Minus the stop sign.

When I was a kid, I'd split them open, spread peanut butter on top of the cream filling, and close them back up.

Oh, that is much better than dipping! I will keep this in mind.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:49 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Ahh. I went to a get-together with my dad at his friend's house today. One of the friend's friends got extremely drunk and spent an hour grilling me on veganism. So awkward. Especially considering all I had to eat at said get-together was pretzels and soda.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:52 pm 
And you never will.

My omni partner doesn't seem to understand (or care) that it is really gross when he cuts his meaty cheesy pizza directly on my wooden cutting board. Ughlkjlksdjflskjdf.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:57 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Kind of already griped about this on the cookbooks thread, but: I was placing my approximately annual "Dutch stuff" order from the Netherlands, and got so excited to find an actual Dutch veggie book - not translated from an American or British cookbook - called "The Vegetarian Butcher" (tr) by someone who runs a deli/mock meat business by the same name, that I forgot to read the description, which clearly indicates that the book contains recipes for using their mock meats, which aren't vegan and I can't buy in California anyway.

So my vegan pet peeve is me, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:08 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I have so many vegan pet peeves about my fiancé's family. Last night my MIL told me that I should put my "special" food "up on this shelf, so that no one else will eat it... not that we'd want to." What the hell? It was dark chocolate and a tin of tomatoes!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:18 am 
Grandfathered In

You eat tomatoes?!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:30 am 
Not NOT A Furry

FootFace wrote:
You eat tomatoes?!

Seriously. SICK!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:15 am 
Discovered unobtainium

At least its not kale.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:39 am 

poopiebitch wrote:
My omni partner doesn't seem to understand (or care) that it is really gross when he cuts his meaty cheesy pizza directly on my wooden cutting board. Ughlkjlksdjflskjdf.

Wilson and I randomly got into a big fight about cutting boards. We have two bamboo and one plastic. And I was like, well, for health reasons and whatnot, you should use the plastic cutting board for meat. Usually he's pretty chill about everything, but it turned into me not giving him enough space at home. Then I asked if they hadn't covered stuff like that in ServSafe certification class, which insulted him professionally or something. It was really out of character for him, and in fact kind of sounded like a classic ndpittman overreaction. Hmf.

Sorry about the pizza on your cutting board, poopie! You should probably get some Sweet and Sara S'Mores to make up for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:05 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I like the Epicurean composite boards, because they act kind of like wood but they can be thrown in the dishwasher, and travel well too! Though I'd still cut a bisque if it tried to put meat on my boards.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:51 pm 
And you never will.

Thanks guys! I probably wouldn't be so irritated if he ever did ANYTHING to help anyone but himself in the kitchen, but I cook all of the meals and wash all of the dishes and do all of the shopping, etc... so when he occasionally decides to indulge in something gross and gets it all over MY stuff in MY kitchen, it peas me off, because I'm the one who has to clean it up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:56 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My SO washes his contaminated dishes. Although I use gloves, I'm too disgusted to wash them. He understands because he's disgusted by some vegetables and doesn't wash my dishes I used for them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12032 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 482  Next