| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11775 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 471  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:11 pm 
And you never will.

Ooooh, maybe I'll start asking about the baklava instead of assuming! Or maybe I shouldn't...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

poopiebitch wrote:
I thought most baklava was made with honey?

No, sugar syrup is used, water cooked with sugar and lemon juice. Honey is too expensive. But, some cake shops here use egg wash for baklava. Ewwwww!

ijustdiedinside wrote:
maybe croatia is the magic land of vegan things? I say this because i bought a box of chocolate covered cherries - the kind with a whole cherry and some liqueur inside - and they were from croatia and SO good!

Griotte. They are similar to Mon Cheri. The same company makes vegan hazelnut and almond nugat chocolates Bajadera. Here's a vegan recipe for a similar cake popular here: http://www.vegventures.com/2012/09/12/b ... e-croatia/

Croatia is nothing like a vegan magic land, but being vegan here is doable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:21 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Baklava varies by region!!

Greek baklava is usually honey and butter, so I don't even bother asking. Persian baklava is rose-water syrup and often vegetable oil, so I always ask and can eat it maybe 40% of the time. Lebanese baklava is rose-water syrup, it's a toss up what kind of fat. If I ever come across Croation baklava I will be psyched!

My peeve: mayo on avocado rolls. It's disgusting, it's never expected, and I never think to ask because it happens so infrequently. Unfortunately this time it was take out from 40 minutes away that my mom brought me so there was no taking it back.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:24 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Interesting, I haven't had baklava since we moved away from the DC area (where my husband worked next door to a vegan-friendly Ethiopian restaurant and bakery, Dama). I was under the impression that it was usually made with melted butter as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:28 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Here, baklava is often made with ground poppy seeds instead of pistachios or walnuts (but, I'm not sure poppy seed baklava is vegan, many recipes call for yoghurt).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:30 pm 
Dead by dawn

I learned to make baklava from an Egyptian man and it was honey and butter. I just assumed all baklava was.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:40 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

annak wrote:
Interesting, I haven't had baklava since we moved away from the DC area (where my husband worked next door to a vegan-friendly Ethiopian restaurant and bakery, Dama). I was under the impression that it was usually made with melted butter as well.

Some recipes call for margarine or butter (margarine is used more often because it's cheaper), but some recipes only call for oil. The most common non-vegan ingredient in baklava in cake shops here are eggs, either in phyllo dough or as egg wash. Most store-bought phyllo doughs are vegan, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:44 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

rhelune wrote:

ijustdiedinside wrote:
maybe croatia is the magic land of vegan things? I say this because i bought a box of chocolate covered cherries - the kind with a whole cherry and some liqueur inside - and they were from croatia and SO good!

Griotte. They are similar to Mon Cheri. The same company makes vegan hazelnut and almond nugat chocolates Bajadera. Here's a vegan recipe for a similar cake popular here: http://www.vegventures.com/2012/09/12/b ... e-croatia/

Croatia is nothing like a vegan magic land, but being vegan here is doable.

Yeah! those are the ones. I'll have to see if they have the hazelnut or almond nougat ones, too. Also, the box is gorgeous, so I can totally give them as a gift.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

They changed the design a few years ago, so I like it now, too:
http://bruketa-zinic.com/wp/wp-content/ ... alubox.jpg

Amazon says Bajadera are milk chocolates. That's not true, they are dark chocolates with light vegan hazelnut-almond nougat.
http://www.kras.hr/en/catalog/category- ... 8-bajadera

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:53 pm 

I think I've seen those at my supermarket! I'd probably never even bother to look at them. Thank you!

wait, are they also the makers of Napolitanke?! Because those are my favorite cookie!

I have no idea why my grocery store has so many Croatian products, but i'm not complaining!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:56 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Yes, Kraš makes Napolitanke, but some other manufacturers make Napolitanke, too. Some Napolitanke are not vegan (the chocolate covered ones, I think the sugar free ones aren't either). I like hazelnut Napolitanke.

While we're at Croatian products, you might like the condiment Vegeta:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegeta_%28food%29

Because almost everyone here puts it in everything, when I became a vegan, in 2004, I asked the manufacturer if sodium inosinate they use is of animal origin, and they responded that it is not.

Last edited by rhelune on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:56 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

j-dub wrote:
Greek baklava is usually honey and butter
Yup. My mother's baklava (learned from my Greek yia yia) used butter and honey. It was defuckinglicious, but I'm planning to veganize it the next time I have a long afternoon to spend on the project!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Often butter is brushed onto the layers of pastry dough. And sometimes the syrup has honey. I love baklava. With Earth Balance and by making a simple syrup instead of using honey, it's super easy to make vegan.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Where do you live, ijustdiedinside?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:02 pm 

rhelune wrote:
Yes, Kraš makes Napolitanke, but some other manufacturers make Napolitanke, too. Some Napolitanke are not vegan (the chocolate covered ones, I think the sugar free ones aren't either). I like hazelnut Napolitanke.

Because almost everyone here puts it in everything, when I became a vegan, in 2004, I asked the manufacturer if sodium inosinate they use is of animal origin, and they responded that it is not.

oh yeah, i've seen some other brands of napolitanke that were not vegan and I was sad that the chocolate covered ones aren't vegan either, but they have 5 or 6 flavors of vegan napolitanke and my little grocery store, so I am happy! I like hazelnut, rum and nougat flavors.

We have Vegeta, too. Is it a bouillon powder? Or, how is it normally used?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:03 pm 
Nooch of Earl

What do you do with the Vegeta? Is it something you sprinkle on stuff?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:05 pm 
Grandfathered In

I'm going to be the jerk who says, "I don't understand how people can not understand veganism." I get that (some) people think veganism is silly, misguided, frivolous, or unhealthy. I think they're wrong, of course, but I'm taking about the people (and I've encountered them too) who just can't understand what vegans do and don't eat. The "rules" are pretty simple. If it comes from an animal, it's a no. So, just one rule, really.

All this confusion is like asking someone who you know won't eat red food, "What about tomatoes? Oh, I'm sorry—I didn't realize you didn't eat strawberries!"

You don't have to want to follow the same rules, but how is it this hard to understand?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:06 pm 

rhelune wrote:

i live in Queens, in New York City. The grocery store is right on the corner of a few blocks of solely middle eastern restaurants and hookah bars. there's also a large greek and italian population around here. I guess my grocery store just wants to please everyone, which is fine with me because we have a lot of foods from other countries.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:09 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

ijustdiedinside wrote:
rhelune wrote:

oh yeah, i've seen some other brands of napolitanke that were not vegan and I was sad that the chocolate covered ones aren't vegan either, but they have 5 or 6 flavors of vegan napolitanke and my little grocery store, so I am happy! I like hazelnut, rum and nougat flavors.

We have Vegeta, too. Is it a bouillon powder? Or, how is it normally used?

I think Kraš coffee Napolitanke aren't vegan, but Podravka (the manufacturer of Vegeta) coffee Napolitanke are.

Vegeta can be used as bouillon powder, but also as dry rub for whatever you grill or (stir) fry, and sometimes there are shakers of Vegeta on tables to be used instead of salt. I don't like it because it makes everything taste the same, but many people do like it. There's also Vegeta Natur with yeast extract instead of flavour enhancers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ijustdiedinside wrote:
rhelune wrote:

i live in Queens, in New York City. The grocery store is right on the corner of a few blocks of solely middle eastern restaurants and hookah bars. there's also a large greek and italian population around here. I guess my grocery store just wants to please everyone, which is fine with me because we have a lot of foods from other countries.

There are many Bosnian and Croatian markets in my city. I guess I should start visiting them!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:14 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

ijustdiedinside wrote:

Wow! I knew many of Croatian products are available in Austria (often in oriental, Turkish supermarkets), but it surprises me you can find them in America. I guess there are many ethnic Croats in NYC.

Can you perhaps get whole heads of sauerkraut? We always make cabbage rolls (sarma) with sauerkraut.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:29 pm 
Nooch of Earl

FootFace wrote:
All this confusion is like asking someone who you know won't eat red food, "What about tomatoes? Oh, I'm sorry—I didn't realize you didn't eat strawberries!"

You don't have to want to follow the same rules, but how is it this hard to understand?

I actually know a vegan who doesn't like red food!! Except he WOULD eat tomato sauce or red pepper hummus, so it DID get confusing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:32 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

sisterlegume wrote:
Often butter is brushed onto the layers of pastry dough. And sometimes the syrup has honey. I love baklava. With Earth Balance and by making a simple syrup instead of using honey, it's super easy to make vegan.

it's easy to make it vegan; it's just such a pain in the arse to make it at all! i literally squealed with glee the first time i found vegan baklava for sale, because i hadn't had it in ages, and even though it is a comfort food that i associate with warm happy christmas mornings, the odds of my making it ever are so low. i have a package of frozen phyllo that i bought a while before i moved into my current apartment, and i've lived here for over a year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:49 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

annak wrote:
FootFace wrote:

I actually know a vegan who doesn't like red food!! Except he WOULD eat tomato sauce or red pepper hummus, so it DID get confusing.

Since I'm a bisque, I'll sometimes respond, what animal does flour come from then? Or I'll follow up with I don't eat that because I don't like it, not because it's not vegan. Usually this is with my dad though, and he is remarkable in the face of my grumpitude.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:57 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

FootFace wrote:
I'm going to be the jerk who says, "I don't understand how people can not understand veganism." I get that (some) people think veganism is silly, misguided, frivolous, or unhealthy. I think they're wrong, of course, but I'm taking about the people (and I've encountered them too) who just can't understand what vegans do and don't eat. The "rules" are pretty simple. If it comes from an animal, it's a no. So, just one rule, really.

I think a big part of it is that most people have no idea what they hell is in their food. I have had people (smugly, urgently, questioningly) tell me that I can't eat bread. When I ask why they say "ummmm eggs? Milk?"

And when my friend decided to go vegetarian a few years ago she phoned me at work in a panic wondering if she could still eat peanut butter. When I stopped laughing and asked her why she would think that she said, "I don't know. Someone told me because it's near the meat in the grocery store that maybe I can't eat it?"

People. They have no forking clue what they're eating.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11775 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 471  Next