| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11775 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 471  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:11 pm 
Offline
And you never will.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:41 pm
Posts: 4221
Location: Memphis
Ooooh, maybe I'll start asking about the baklava instead of assuming! Or maybe I shouldn't...

_________________
I'm in a pure mood with poopietits now. Damn her jugs! - interrobang?!
give my you inquiries! and give poopie you burritos. - acr
Sometimes I think, it's really my lack of cybernetic implants that keeps me from being truly human. - Mars


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:20 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
poopiebitch wrote:
I thought most baklava was made with honey?


No, sugar syrup is used, water cooked with sugar and lemon juice. Honey is too expensive. But, some cake shops here use egg wash for baklava. Ewwwww!

ijustdiedinside wrote:
maybe croatia is the magic land of vegan things? I say this because i bought a box of chocolate covered cherries - the kind with a whole cherry and some liqueur inside - and they were from croatia and SO good!


Griotte. They are similar to Mon Cheri. The same company makes vegan hazelnut and almond nugat chocolates Bajadera. Here's a vegan recipe for a similar cake popular here: http://www.vegventures.com/2012/09/12/b ... e-croatia/

Croatia is nothing like a vegan magic land, but being vegan here is doable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:21 pm 
Offline
Fair trade, organic mistletoe
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 3507
Location: Toronto
Baklava varies by region!!

Greek baklava is usually honey and butter, so I don't even bother asking. Persian baklava is rose-water syrup and often vegetable oil, so I always ask and can eat it maybe 40% of the time. Lebanese baklava is rose-water syrup, it's a toss up what kind of fat. If I ever come across Croation baklava I will be psyched!

My peeve: mayo on avocado rolls. It's disgusting, it's never expected, and I never think to ask because it happens so infrequently. Unfortunately this time it was take out from 40 minutes away that my mom brought me so there was no taking it back.

_________________
"I'd rather have dried catshit! I'd rather have astroturf! I'd rather have an igloo!"~Isa

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:24 pm 
Online
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3637
Location: Bella Napoli
Interesting, I haven't had baklava since we moved away from the DC area (where my husband worked next door to a vegan-friendly Ethiopian restaurant and bakery, Dama). I was under the impression that it was usually made with melted butter as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:28 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Here, baklava is often made with ground poppy seeds instead of pistachios or walnuts (but, I'm not sure poppy seed baklava is vegan, many recipes call for yoghurt).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:30 pm 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7684
Location: Seattle
I learned to make baklava from an Egyptian man and it was honey and butter. I just assumed all baklava was.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:40 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
annak wrote:
Interesting, I haven't had baklava since we moved away from the DC area (where my husband worked next door to a vegan-friendly Ethiopian restaurant and bakery, Dama). I was under the impression that it was usually made with melted butter as well.


Some recipes call for margarine or butter (margarine is used more often because it's cheaper), but some recipes only call for oil. The most common non-vegan ingredient in baklava in cake shops here are eggs, either in phyllo dough or as egg wash. Most store-bought phyllo doughs are vegan, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:44 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10418
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
rhelune wrote:

ijustdiedinside wrote:
maybe croatia is the magic land of vegan things? I say this because i bought a box of chocolate covered cherries - the kind with a whole cherry and some liqueur inside - and they were from croatia and SO good!


Griotte. They are similar to Mon Cheri. The same company makes vegan hazelnut and almond nugat chocolates Bajadera. Here's a vegan recipe for a similar cake popular here: http://www.vegventures.com/2012/09/12/b ... e-croatia/

Croatia is nothing like a vegan magic land, but being vegan here is doable.


Yeah! those are the ones. I'll have to see if they have the hazelnut or almond nougat ones, too. Also, the box is gorgeous, so I can totally give them as a gift.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:48 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
They changed the design a few years ago, so I like it now, too:
http://bruketa-zinic.com/wp/wp-content/ ... alubox.jpg

Amazon says Bajadera are milk chocolates. That's not true, they are dark chocolates with light vegan hazelnut-almond nougat.
http://www.kras.hr/en/catalog/category- ... 8-bajadera


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:53 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10418
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
I think I've seen those at my supermarket! I'd probably never even bother to look at them. Thank you!

wait, are they also the makers of Napolitanke?! Because those are my favorite cookie!

I have no idea why my grocery store has so many Croatian products, but i'm not complaining!

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:56 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Yes, Kraš makes Napolitanke, but some other manufacturers make Napolitanke, too. Some Napolitanke are not vegan (the chocolate covered ones, I think the sugar free ones aren't either). I like hazelnut Napolitanke.

While we're at Croatian products, you might like the condiment Vegeta:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegeta_%28food%29

Because almost everyone here puts it in everything, when I became a vegan, in 2004, I asked the manufacturer if sodium inosinate they use is of animal origin, and they responded that it is not.


Last edited by rhelune on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:56 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5217
Location: A New England
j-dub wrote:
Greek baklava is usually honey and butter
Yup. My mother's baklava (learned from my Greek yia yia) used butter and honey. It was defuckinglicious, but I'm planning to veganize it the next time I have a long afternoon to spend on the project!

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:12 am
Posts: 497
Location: Eugene, OR
Often butter is brushed onto the layers of pastry dough. And sometimes the syrup has honey. I love baklava. With Earth Balance and by making a simple syrup instead of using honey, it's super easy to make vegan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Where do you live, ijustdiedinside?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:02 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10418
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
rhelune wrote:
Yes, Kraš makes Napolitanke, but some other manufacturers make Napolitanke, too. Some Napolitanke are not vegan (the chocolate covered ones, I think the sugar free ones aren't either). I like hazelnut Napolitanke.

While we're at Croatian products, you might like the condiment Vegeta:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegeta_%28food%29

Because almost everyone here puts it in everything, when I became a vegan, in 2004, I asked the manufacturer if sodium inosinate they use is of animal origin, and they responded that it is not.


oh yeah, i've seen some other brands of napolitanke that were not vegan and I was sad that the chocolate covered ones aren't vegan either, but they have 5 or 6 flavors of vegan napolitanke and my little grocery store, so I am happy! I like hazelnut, rum and nougat flavors.

We have Vegeta, too. Is it a bouillon powder? Or, how is it normally used?

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:03 pm 
Online
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3637
Location: Bella Napoli
What do you do with the Vegeta? Is it something you sprinkle on stuff?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:05 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9454
Location: Seattle
I'm going to be the jerk who says, "I don't understand how people can not understand veganism." I get that (some) people think veganism is silly, misguided, frivolous, or unhealthy. I think they're wrong, of course, but I'm taking about the people (and I've encountered them too) who just can't understand what vegans do and don't eat. The "rules" are pretty simple. If it comes from an animal, it's a no. So, just one rule, really.

All this confusion is like asking someone who you know won't eat red food, "What about tomatoes? Oh, I'm sorry—I didn't realize you didn't eat strawberries!"

You don't have to want to follow the same rules, but how is it this hard to understand?

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:06 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10418
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
rhelune wrote:
Where do you live, ijustdiedinside?


i live in Queens, in New York City. The grocery store is right on the corner of a few blocks of solely middle eastern restaurants and hookah bars. there's also a large greek and italian population around here. I guess my grocery store just wants to please everyone, which is fine with me because we have a lot of foods from other countries.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:09 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
ijustdiedinside wrote:
rhelune wrote:
Yes, Kraš makes Napolitanke, but some other manufacturers make Napolitanke, too. Some Napolitanke are not vegan (the chocolate covered ones, I think the sugar free ones aren't either). I like hazelnut Napolitanke.

While we're at Croatian products, you might like the condiment Vegeta:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegeta_%28food%29

Because almost everyone here puts it in everything, when I became a vegan, in 2004, I asked the manufacturer if sodium inosinate they use is of animal origin, and they responded that it is not.


oh yeah, i've seen some other brands of napolitanke that were not vegan and I was sad that the chocolate covered ones aren't vegan either, but they have 5 or 6 flavors of vegan napolitanke and my little grocery store, so I am happy! I like hazelnut, rum and nougat flavors.

We have Vegeta, too. Is it a bouillon powder? Or, how is it normally used?


I think Kraš coffee Napolitanke aren't vegan, but Podravka (the manufacturer of Vegeta) coffee Napolitanke are.

Vegeta can be used as bouillon powder, but also as dry rub for whatever you grill or (stir) fry, and sometimes there are shakers of Vegeta on tables to be used instead of salt. I don't like it because it makes everything taste the same, but many people do like it. There's also Vegeta Natur with yeast extract instead of flavour enhancers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:13 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3561
Location: It's hot. All the time.
ijustdiedinside wrote:
rhelune wrote:
Where do you live, ijustdiedinside?


i live in Queens, in New York City. The grocery store is right on the corner of a few blocks of solely middle eastern restaurants and hookah bars. there's also a large greek and italian population around here. I guess my grocery store just wants to please everyone, which is fine with me because we have a lot of foods from other countries.

There are many Bosnian and Croatian markets in my city. I guess I should start visiting them!

_________________
A whole lot of access and privilege goes into being sanctimonious pricks J-Dub
Dessert is currently a big bowl of sanctimonious, passive aggressive vegan enduced boak. Fezza
You people are way less funny than Pandacookie. Sucks to be you.-interrobang?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:14 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
ijustdiedinside wrote:
i live in Queens, in New York City. The grocery store is right on the corner of a few blocks of solely middle eastern restaurants and hookah bars. there's also a large greek and italian population around here. I guess my grocery store just wants to please everyone, which is fine with me because we have a lot of foods from other countries.


Wow! I knew many of Croatian products are available in Austria (often in oriental, Turkish supermarkets), but it surprises me you can find them in America. I guess there are many ethnic Croats in NYC.

Can you perhaps get whole heads of sauerkraut? We always make cabbage rolls (sarma) with sauerkraut.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:29 pm 
Online
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3637
Location: Bella Napoli
FootFace wrote:
All this confusion is like asking someone who you know won't eat red food, "What about tomatoes? Oh, I'm sorry—I didn't realize you didn't eat strawberries!"

You don't have to want to follow the same rules, but how is it this hard to understand?



I actually know a vegan who doesn't like red food!! Except he WOULD eat tomato sauce or red pepper hummus, so it DID get confusing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:32 pm 
Offline
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 3092
Location: BKLN
sisterlegume wrote:
Often butter is brushed onto the layers of pastry dough. And sometimes the syrup has honey. I love baklava. With Earth Balance and by making a simple syrup instead of using honey, it's super easy to make vegan.

it's easy to make it vegan; it's just such a pain in the arse to make it at all! i literally squealed with glee the first time i found vegan baklava for sale, because i hadn't had it in ages, and even though it is a comfort food that i associate with warm happy christmas mornings, the odds of my making it ever are so low. i have a package of frozen phyllo that i bought a while before i moved into my current apartment, and i've lived here for over a year.

_________________
"rise from the ashes of douchebaggery like a fancy vegan phoenix" - amandabear
"I'm pretty sure the moral of this story is: fork pants." - cq


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:49 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6287
Location: Boston, MA
annak wrote:
FootFace wrote:
All this confusion is like asking someone who you know won't eat red food, "What about tomatoes? Oh, I'm sorry—I didn't realize you didn't eat strawberries!"

You don't have to want to follow the same rules, but how is it this hard to understand?



I actually know a vegan who doesn't like red food!! Except he WOULD eat tomato sauce or red pepper hummus, so it DID get confusing.


Since I'm a bisque, I'll sometimes respond, what animal does flour come from then? Or I'll follow up with I don't eat that because I don't like it, not because it's not vegan. Usually this is with my dad though, and he is remarkable in the face of my grumpitude.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:57 pm 
Offline
Fair trade, organic mistletoe
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 3507
Location: Toronto
FootFace wrote:
I'm going to be the jerk who says, "I don't understand how people can not understand veganism." I get that (some) people think veganism is silly, misguided, frivolous, or unhealthy. I think they're wrong, of course, but I'm taking about the people (and I've encountered them too) who just can't understand what vegans do and don't eat. The "rules" are pretty simple. If it comes from an animal, it's a no. So, just one rule, really.

All this confusion is like asking someone who you know won't eat red food, "What about tomatoes? Oh, I'm sorry—I didn't realize you didn't eat strawberries!"

You don't have to want to follow the same rules, but how is it this hard to understand?

I think a big part of it is that most people have no idea what they hell is in their food. I have had people (smugly, urgently, questioningly) tell me that I can't eat bread. When I ask why they say "ummmm eggs? Milk?"

And when my friend decided to go vegetarian a few years ago she phoned me at work in a panic wondering if she could still eat peanut butter. When I stopped laughing and asked her why she would think that she said, "I don't know. Someone told me because it's near the meat in the grocery store that maybe I can't eat it?"

People. They have no forking clue what they're eating.

_________________
"I'd rather have dried catshit! I'd rather have astroturf! I'd rather have an igloo!"~Isa

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11775 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 471  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer