| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 426  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Lactose-free milk. It's still actual milk, people.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I hate when my friends decide to meet up at a restaurant, then tell me that they took me into account when choosing the place because said restaurant has salad. Really? First off, pretty much all restaurants have salad, even shitty fast food places. Second off, I don't generally consider salad to be a meal, as it tends to not be filling enough for me.

I don't mind if my friends want to go out to eat somewhere that doesn't have vegan options other than salad, but if they're going to say that they took me into account when choosing the place, they should at least look into somewhere with falafel or burritos or something more filling and delicious than salad...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:42 pm 
Impressive boner

When a well-meaning work colleague brings in sweets/biscuits/cakes for everyone then tells me "You can't eat that." Uh, yes I can, I simply choose not to.

When people assume gluten-free means vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:50 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

choirqueer wrote:
Products that were once vegan and then without warning add animal products to their ingredients. Damn you, Spicy Thai Kettle Chips. :(

Those aren't vegan anymore?! mustards!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:56 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Casein in soy cheese. What the hell, people?

I remember when I first went vegan, I tried the soy cheese squares from Trader Joe's, and although they're disgusting on their own, they make a bitchin' grilled cheese. THEN I found out they have milk protein (I was so young and naive and assumed that with a name like "soy cheese" that there wouldn't be milk in there. How foolish of me!). I was so sad and angry.

And, honestly, confused. If someone is allergic to dairy, they still can't have that, even if they're not vegan. What is the demographic of people buying disgusting soy cheese that has dairy in it?!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Considering my lactose intolerance is so severe to react to the lactose in medication I would be pretty mad to discover it in soy cheese!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:12 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I hate vegan sayings that put down other people and I feel like I see them more lately. If you were vegan and aren't now then you were never vegan. Also, never trust an ex-vegan. What does those even mean? Factually incorrect and just creating an us against them mentality that I don't think creates much of an atmosphere for discussion. Which is probably the point but I am not down with it.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:26 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Sass wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
Products that were once vegan and then without warning add animal products to their ingredients. Damn you, Spicy Thai Kettle Chips. :(

Ughh, I feel terrible now that I've ruined them for everyone! Which doesn't even make sense since it's not like it was my idea to put honey in them. Sorry! Maybe if we all write to them!?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:49 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

fisticuffs wrote:
Lactose-free milk. It's still actual milk, people.

THIS. If lactose makes you sick, how about drinking something that doesn't come from a cow? It's 2012, there are plenty of options.

I ordered a soy latté yesterday and the barista was all proud to tell me: "We have lactose-free milk now!" "Still comes from a cow," I answered with a smile. That shut her up.

(They even have a cute little chalkboard propped up on the counter that says: "Lactose-free milk now available!" I somehow managed to resist the urge to spit on it and wipe it with a napkin.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:53 pm 
Naked Under Apron

DarthCupcake wrote:
Casein in soy cheese. What the hell, people?

I remember when I first went vegan, I tried the soy cheese squares from Trader Joe's, and although they're disgusting on their own, they make a bitchin' grilled cheese. THEN I found out they have milk protein (I was so young and naive and assumed that with a name like "soy cheese" that there wouldn't be milk in there. How foolish of me!). I was so sad and angry.

And, honestly, confused. If someone is allergic to dairy, they still can't have that, even if they're not vegan. What is the demographic of people buying disgusting soy cheese that has dairy in it?!

People on diets? I know that, when I was on Weight Watchers Core several years ago, soy cheese and fat-free cheese were Core foods, but regular dairy cheese wasn't. (The basic idea of the program was that you could eat Core foods "until satisfied," and you could also eat a certain number of points worth of non-Core foods. Core foods were fruits and vegetables, whole grains, tofu, beans, fat-free dairy, and lean meats. So you could either save up the non-Core points and have a brownie or something at the end of the week, or you could distribute them throughout the week, and have a little bit of pasta or something with a bunch of different meals.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:10 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

daisychain wrote:
Considering my lactose intolerance is so severe to react to the lactose in medication I would be pretty mad to discover it in soy cheese!

Which soy cheeses have lactose? I've seen soy and almond cheeses that contain casein but are labeled lactose free, which seems weird to me. If someone is lactose intolerant, why not just get vegan cheese.

bird noises | book of faces

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm pretty sure most of the profits from casein containing soy cheeses are new vegans that don't know any better. I made the same mistake when I went vegan (f'n Veggie Slices) and I know many others who have made the same mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:19 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

choirqueer wrote:
Sass wrote:
choirqueer wrote:

Ughh, I feel terrible now that I've ruined them for everyone! Which doesn't even make sense since it's not like it was my idea to put honey in them. Sorry! Maybe if we all write to them!?

Ok, so here's the nutritional info from their website: http://www.kettlebrand.com/site/files/K ... 0Thai1.pdf
No honey. But maybe they snuck it under natural flavors? It's a bit confusing because I usually get Salt&Vinegar flavor (I remember actually thinking Spicy Thai wasn't vegan) but like a month or 2 ago I got a bag because there was no honey in the ingredients and I was SO excited.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:22 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

The only place I've ever seen vegan cheese for sale here was all the way in Tokyo. But my commisarry sells that shitty soy cheese with dairy in it. Actually, every commisarry I've ever been to in the past 10 years or so has had that cheese. Galaxy Foods brand.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:24 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
the "hippy tax" for substituting something, wether its paying extra for soy milk instead of milk, or paying extra for vegan cheese instead of regular cheese. Last I checked they all sort of cost the same

Ill pay it, but in my head Im hoping this place burns to the ground

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:02 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

people talking about their non-vegan food as if you care. we were celebrating swiss day recently and i had to hear about the "delicious" sausages everyone was eating. what makes you think i want to hear that crepe!?! i just want to eat my tofurky sausage in peace.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:13 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

8ball wrote:
When a well-meaning work colleague brings in sweets/biscuits/cakes for everyone then tells me "You can't eat that." Uh, yes I can, I simply choose not to.

People at my work are always bringing in baked goods then give me this "I'm sorry it's not vegan", guilty look. One former coworker used to go to Whole Foods and get me a vegan muffin whenever she brought in baked goods. That always made me feel good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:18 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Other vegans that cook often and are really bad at it but still want you to try it! An old roommate springs to mind, she would soak lentils and rice for hours before cooking into a beige sludge. Would also fish for compliments after I ingested whatever foul-party stew she has made.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

8ball wrote:

When people assume gluten-free means vegan.

this!!!!

people telling me i cant eat something cause it has rice in it (yes i know that rice is gluten free but obviously they are totally confused anyways)

also if i saw the term "tapioca cheese" on a menu i would prolly barf because i hate tapioca and not realize its Daiya. it just sounds nasty.

im kind of in the middle on daiya. dont love it, dont hate it. typically wont pay for it. the only place i miss cheese would be on pizza and daiya on pizza doesnt taste like cheese or pizza :-(

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:41 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

nickvicious wrote:
Alos, Amy's Veggie Loaf. It looks SO freaking good yet one of the very last ingredients is honey. They know honey is not vegan and that vegans constitute a large portion of their consumers, yet they choose to use honey rather than agave or maple or brown rice syrup. Heck, even corn syrup would work! Probably cheaper too...

Yeah, this bugs me. I read way back in 2011 that they were going to remove the honey and that the vegan version would be available soon, and I was stoked. But I keep checking the packages and it's still there! What gives, Amy's? Why'd you lie to us?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:48 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

When everyone at dinner in a restaurant is compelled to point out the vegan options on the menu to me. Even if I chose the restaurant. And told them I had been there many times. And they hadn't. This just drives me insane, for so many reasons. Including the most obvious one that after more than 2 decades of being vegan, I can forking spot the vegan option from across the room, people! I don't need your helpful suggestions of "Hey, hey, did you see this? I bet they could make this for you without the fish, if you ask."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:51 pm 
WELFARIST!

Adam Crisis wrote:
the "hippy tax" for substituting something, wether its paying extra for soy milk instead of milk, or paying extra for vegan cheese instead of regular cheese. Last I checked they all sort of cost the same

This. 100%. So much.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:56 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Quote:
Adam Crisis wrote:

This. 100%. So much.

Yes! This! I went out for Thai the other night and it was $2 extra to substitute tofu. I am surprised it wasn't an extra $1 on top of that for NOT using fish sauce/shrimp paste.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:04 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Sass wrote:
No honey. But maybe they snuck it under natural flavors? It's a bit confusing because I usually get Salt&Vinegar flavor (I remember actually thinking Spicy Thai wasn't vegan) but like a month or 2 ago I got a bag because there was no honey in the ingredients and I was SO excited.

Maybe it doesn't anymore! I will check next time I'm at the store. This would be the best news EVER EVER EVER! Seriously, those things were my favorite snack food for years before I looked one day and saw honey on the package and pretty much had a tantrum.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:19 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

fupapack wrote:
foul-party stew

This is great.

Panda With Cookie

Reply to topic  [ 10647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 426  Next