| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 424  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:30 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

missmuffcake wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:
He tried bringing vegan cookies to work - you would think I sent him to work with a plate of bugs or something!

Weird. Whenever I bring vegan food, everyone always makes a point to try some and remark on how good it is.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:42 pm 

Liz_D wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
I do not like when people say "oooohhhh vegan - that is a good diet!"...It is not a forking diet - it is my way of life.

"are you still on that diet?"
"what diet"
"that vegan one. We have ceviche, can you eat that?"

Cause if the fish ain't cooked it doesn't count?. . . ugh

"Is there any meat in it?"
"No." long pause "just a little chicken"

I'm so tired of Meat = Beef to most people. If I meant beef I would have said it.

Yes!! I especially hate when people think that eating fish is vegetarian. No, it's pescetarian. Fish are animals!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:47 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

veganspider wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:
He tried bringing vegan cookies to work - you would think I sent him to work with a plate of bugs or something!

Weird. Whenever I bring vegan food, everyone always makes a point to try some and remark on how good it is.

Quote gone wrong? I don't think I wrote that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:47 pm 

vijita wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

Also, daiya looks like snot and tastes like armpit.

I do agree with you there.

OK, maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I like Daiya. (but I do agree, it looks a bit gross.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:03 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

GraciaKai wrote:
veganspider wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:

Quote gone wrong? I don't think I wrote that.

you didn't; missmuffcake did. but you were quoted earlier in the post that she wrote that in. formatting glitch.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:22 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ha! I was starting to lose it there for a minute. Very possible that I wouldnt remember what I wrote though!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yeah, I've never had a fellow vegan/vegetarian say ANYTHING hostile to me yet I am constantly accosted about my choices by omnis...and it's always something like, "those vegans are so preachy! you're not like one of them!" uhh you're preaching to me right now?

My best friend is dating a fisherman and he's SUCH a crasshole to me. I have never nor would I ever say anything to him, but he is so rude. When I was telling our other friend about it, the friend who is dating him was just like, "they both just have really strong opinions." UHM, I've never said anything to him???? Grrr.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:45 pm 
WELFARIST!

veganspider wrote:
OK, maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I like Daiya. (but I do agree, it looks a bit gross.)

You're not alone, I forking love Daiya.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:19 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Mr. Shankly wrote:
veganspider wrote:

Daiya is pretty yummy melted with anything.

Pet peeve: People acting like I'm an inconvenience. "Oh, I guess you can't eat that, either" followed by an eye roll. "Well, what if you picked out the meat?" And then when I say I'd rather not, further eye rolling.

And also, nonfat milk: kindly stop showing up in all the forking bread I want to eat. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:22 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Mr. Shankly wrote:
veganspider wrote:

Me too. I just had the jalapeno havarti wedge and it was the bomb-diggity.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:30 pm 
Semen Strong

veggiepalooza wrote:
My best friend is dating a fisherman and he's SUCH a crasshole to me. I have never nor would I ever say anything to him, but he is so rude. When I was telling our other friend about it, the friend who is dating him was just like, "they both just have really strong opinions." UHM, I've never said anything to him???? Grrr.

Yeah, its that whole "I want to seem like a really fair and balanced person so I'm going to blame both of you." Even if only one of us is making nasty mmm mmm bacon jokes.

Pet peeve: mmm mmm bacon jokes.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:51 pm 
Dead by dawn

Ugh, the Cult of Bacon annoys me so, so much. I mean, yeah, I used to like bacon just fine. But it's not magical manna from heaven. All the bacon forking cupcakes and bacon-wrapped bacon in bacon sauce is pissing me off. Can the trend of bacon idolatry just die already?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:01 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Ugh, YES. The mmm bacon thing can die in a fire. I was once a meat-eater. Even as recently as 2010. I KNOW what bacon tastes like. Telling me I don't know what I'm missing is total bullshiitake; I know fine and dandy what I'm missing and it doesn't even come close to the awesome stuff I eat now. Trufax.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:02 pm 
Semen Strong

Seriously! And I can't believe how many cooking shows act like bacon is some magical novel ingredient. Yeah, you'd be taking a bigger risk to make something awesome and vegan.

You can get the same flavors of bacon from vegan products like bacos, so why not do that? All it is is salty, smokey and a bit chewy. Its not like anything inherent in the cut of piggy flesh makes it magically delicious - its the fact that its salt cured and then (in some cases) dried or smoked that gives it the distinctive (and replicatable) flavor.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:02 pm 
WRETCHED

I used to hate bacon. I also didn't like fish.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:03 pm 
Grandfathered In

I enjoy Daiya, especially the Monterey jack-flavored pucks.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:41 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Maybe they can't mention Daiya on the menu due to some trademark issues. They don't tell you if a restaurant uses particular brand of anything typically without partnering with the company like say Jack Daniels for example if a restaurant wanted to bragg about having JD in a BBQ sauce they'd probaby have pay JD for the rights to use the name in promoting it on their menu.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

Sophiagrt wrote:
Maybe they can't mention Daiya on the menu due to some trademark issues. They don't tell you if a restaurant uses particular brand of anything typically without partnering with the company like say Jack Daniels for example if a restaurant wanted to bragg about having JD in a BBQ sauce they'd probaby have pay JD for the rights to use the name in promoting it on their menu.

I've never experienced that before. Nearly all vegan and non-vegan places that I've been to will disclose the various cheese brands that they use right on the menu and there's no partnership.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:04 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Limone wrote:
That's good. Fortunately I haven't either, but that's because I always try to research a place before I eat at it. Unfortunately I've had to explain to my family multiple times that "tofu doesn't necessarily mean vegetarian at a Chinese restaurant" and they can't wrap their heads around it, which makes me crazy. When I go visit my dad he'll email me menus for places and say "What do you think of this place for when you come to visit? Lots of tofu dishes!" and I'll look at the menu and it will even SAY tofu with crumbled pork right there! Ahhhhhh!!! He's sort of hilariously crazy anyway though. He's allergic to dairy, so you'd think he would love eating at a vegan restaurant. Except the first time we went to one together he couldn't get his head around what "vegan" meant and kept asking the server "Does this dish have dairy? WELL WHAT ABOUT THIS ONE?" about every freaking thing on the menu. And the waiter kept saying "Um, no, this is a VEGAN restaurant. VEGAN." And he kept asking and asking and asking... it was funny for me, but I felt really bad for the waiter.

I used to go to a buddhist vegetarian restaurant with my dad and every time he'd order a black tea with milk and every time the server would say they don't have black tea and only have soymilk. I'm talking 10+ times we did this.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:27 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I really don't like all these pictures going round the internet posted by vegans about "Humans being the only mammal that drink other mammals breast milk". Pretty sure humans are the only mammals that use the internet and do many other things - what of it?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:15 am 
WELFARIST!

Efcliz wrote:
I really don't like all these pictures going round the internet posted by vegans about "Humans being the only mammal that drink other mammals breast milk". Pretty sure humans are the only mammals that use the internet and do many other things - what of it?

I think that's just a statement in response to people who claim that drinking other animals milk is natural.

paprikapapaya wrote:
Me too. I just had the jalapeno havarti wedge and it was the bomb-diggity.

Oh man, I wish we had that stuff around here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:51 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Efcliz wrote:

I think that's just a statement in response to people who claim that drinking other animals milk is natural.
So is eating the runts of your litter, that doesn't mean I'm going to start chowing down on ugly babies. Silly people are silly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:42 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Why do I even go on Facebook :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:46 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Gulliver wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Efcliz wrote:

So is eating the runts of your litter, that doesn't mean I'm going to start chowing down on ugly babies. Silly people are silly.

yeah, I'm not a big fan of those sorts of statements either, because other animals also hunt and kill for food, but that doesn't mean we as humans have to.

ETA: also I've seen shelter videos of abandoned baby rabbits nursing on cats and kittens nursing on dogs, is that non-vegan?

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:25 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Quarantined wrote:
ETA: also I've seen shelter videos of abandoned baby rabbits nursing on cats and kittens nursing on dogs, is that non-vegan?

I think the argument is that humans are the only mammals that continue to drink animal milk after they've been weaned. So those baby rabbits and kittens are totally vegan!

Reply to topic  [ 10595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 424  Next