| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 512  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ndpittman wrote:
annak wrote:
FootFace wrote:
All this confusion is like asking someone who you know won't eat red food, "What about tomatoes? Oh, I'm sorry—I didn't realize you didn't eat strawberries!"

You don't have to want to follow the same rules, but how is it this hard to understand?

I actually know a vegan who doesn't like red food!! Except he WOULD eat tomato sauce or red pepper hummus, so it DID get confusing.

Since I'm a bisque, I'll sometimes respond, what animal does flour come from then? Or I'll follow up with I don't eat that because I don't like it, not because it's not vegan. Usually this is with my dad though, and he is remarkable in the face of my grumpitude.

i honestly think some people just make up what they think vegan is. they have no problem figuring out what vegetarian is but all of a sudden you say vegan and their brain explodes.

i have one coworker who always tells me i cant eat rice or pasta (i think she is thinking GF so she is still kinda wrong at least with the rice and some pasta)

then at my October birthday lunch at work the receptionist got me a vegan cake from WF (soooo nice of her but not what i wanted people think vegan food tastes like) and the CEO was like "so there's no flour or sugar in there?"

ummmm no......just no animal products.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:52 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Fuuuuck, sometimes I feel like I can't but help but be bisque-y in response to annoying questions/comments. Is it bad that when someone recently said something like "vegans care more about animals than people who pick their crops!" I just said "nope, and you don't care about either"? Yes? Oh well.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:07 pm 
And you never will.

LisaPunk wrote:
then at my October birthday lunch at work the receptionist got me a vegan cake from WF (soooo nice of her but not what i wanted people think vegan food tastes like) and the CEO was like "so there's no flour or sugar in there?"

Haha! I made my cousin's wedding cake last spring, and over Thanksgiving my uncle was talking about how good it was and said "I never would have guessed there was applesauce in it!" Uhhhhhh.... what?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:25 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Jigglypuff wrote:
Fuuuuck, sometimes I feel like I can't but help but be bisque-y in response to annoying questions/comments. Is it bad that when someone recently said something like "vegans care more about animals than people who pick their crops!" I just said "nope, and you don't care about either"? Yes? Oh well.

I saw someone respond with something like that, a meme of a stand-up comic talking about how vegans like animals more than they care about immigrant farm workers, and I wanted to say, I love immigrants so much I married one! I held my tongue on that one though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:43 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Slightly Melishus wrote:
amonik wrote:
Yesterday I bought a latte and drank it. Six hours later I was in the grocery store and passing by the milk aisle, and that's when the coin dropped - lattes have milk in them. That milk comes from cows. And I don't eat animal products! What the fork? Was my brain on vacation?

Totally off topic, but did you have any side-effects? Several months ago, I suddenly broke out in hives one day and I am convinced I ate something that had hidden dairy.

No. I've never been allergic or sensitive to dairy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:17 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

i honestly think some people just make up what they think vegan is. they have no problem figuring out what vegetarian is but all of a sudden you say vegan and their brain explodes.

i have one coworker who always tells me i cant eat rice or pasta (i think she is thinking GF so she is still kinda wrong at least with the rice and some pasta)

I've been vegan for years and GF for almost as long. Last year my brother in law asked if I can eat....potatoes. I'm really not sure what he was thinking,he didn't say mashed potatoes or potatoes with certain ingredients.Just.... potatoes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:35 pm 
Semen Strong

torque wrote:
To get back to the original comment, about some people being better prepared to provide a vegan meal, i think it really does depend more on the individual than the culture. Some people are open enough, kind enough, confident enough, or whatever enough to just roll with it, graciously. Some aren't. I've seen good and bad in this sort of situation all over the world, from head-of-lettuce to amazing dinners, and it seems to really depend on the person.

So true! Our awesome friend is inviting us to a soul food dinner and wants to sit down with me so I can help her veganize as much of her family recipes as she can. I said I'd be happy to bring my own food or at least contribute a dish, but nope, she really wants to cook for her guests. Its so nice. And Southern food/culture isn't naturally very vegan friendly, though I think they have a reputation for being very hospitable.

All my friends make me awesome vegan food, when I visit them. I am very lucky in the awesomeness of my friends. My MIL is the only one who won't accommodate me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

kittylover wrote:

I've been vegan for years and GF for almost as long. Last year my brother in law asked if I can eat....potatoes. I'm really not sure what he was thinking,he didn't say mashed potatoes or potatoes with certain ingredients.Just.... potatoes

Potatoes have eyes so they must be an animal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:51 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

ndpittman wrote:

I saw someone respond with something like that, a meme of a stand-up comic talking about how vegans like animals more than they care about immigrant farm workers, and I wanted to say, I love immigrants so much I married one! I held my tongue on that one though.

My boyfriend and I both came from families that worked in the fields or canneries, so ya I care about them. I want to buy more local farmed stuff, watch as closely as possible my food and it's source. I would like to talk to the farmers more, the people at the stalls. My town while rich in produce has a lack of market in the winter months. I buy organic, pesticide free, trying to reduce my footprint on the earth and the workers exposure to chemicals.

Also when people bring up the immigrant things, don't they know often times immigrants are working the slaughter plants? What do they say to that?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:00 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

daisychain wrote:
kittylover wrote:

Potatoes have eyes so they must be an animal.
And when they look at you like that, all starchy and tuberlike...anyone who could eat them is a monster!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I don't understand why celebrity chefs/foodies have to always respond to the mention of vegan food with "I don't like fake meat, it's gross and full of chemicals". First of all, fine? What does that have to do with anything? I don't like mustard and iceburg lettuce but if people tell me they had a burger I don't go *GROSS* I'm not a toddler anymore. Then the "full of chemicals thing" doesn't make any sense either because isn't everything, literally, everything made of chemicals? Aren't molecules tied together the fundamental matter of the world? Plus, in animal meat you have no idea what kind of shiitake is in there. If I eat fake meat I know every single ingredients because I am a forking vegan and I had to learn them all. Maybe that's the problem? They don't know what "sodium" and whatever means. Mostly I don't understand why a passionate dislike of fake meat is such a common response. Do they think I only eat fake meat?

Then, nearly every time this happens with a chef (usually on TV but I have experienced it in real life as well) they say they will make vegan food that celebrates vegetables. They don't want one food pretending to be something else. That's fine with me, but when it's a cooking show it's always followed with a "this is a play on bacon" this is my "recreation of foie gras" Here the plantains are working like sweetbreads. W.T.F. You just said you are fundamentally opposed to this. I swear every single time a foodie chef makes vegan food this same scenario plays out and I just don't understand it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:43 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

animal bits, literally. someone i know just posted about (with photos!) the cow testicle festival on FB and it showed up on my timeline...and people say tofu is gross...at least even GMO tofu does not have balls!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:48 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I was staying with some friends this week, and they have an 8 year old girl. She was like "You are VEGAN!?!?! Vegan food is GROOOOSSSS!"

Her mom said "honey, you want to be vegetarian right? talk to Chicki about it"

Daughter "but no, vegan food is terrible!"

She was eating and apple. I said "you know that apple is vegan right?" her eyes got all big. I was about to explain to her what vegan actually meant, you know, using common foods as a basis of my explanation, pointing out how many foods are vegan etc...then my shuttle for the airport came.

Grrr. Now that kid still thinks vegan food is gross! haha.

It was kind of hilarious to see how HORRIFIED she was that I was vegan. I wonder what she thought I ate. Sticks? Bark? I was happy to see a kid that was thinking about becoming vegetarian though, that's really cool. Her parents are not veggies in the least. Next time we hang out, I'll check talk to her about it, if she is interested.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Our omni roommate is cooking for himself now, which is great, but literally every time he cooks, he burns the oil. The house was so smokey last night that I went to bed with my hair smelling like burned oil, and I wasn't even in the kitchen. I guess he just doesn't know what he's doing. This is the same guy who cooked pasta for us once, and put the pot of water on the stove, turned the burner on, and tossed the noodles in, before he'd made the sauce or any other components. I was like "What are you doing? The water's not boiling yet." His response: "They'll be done by the time the rest is ready." They were huge and soft and gummy.

Just realized this is probably more of a general complaint than a pet peeve. Oh wells.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Oh, yes, "if you can't pronounce it, don't eat/use it". A list of "unpronounceable, therefore dangerous" ingredients in one skin moisturiser contains - cyanocobalamin.

Also - dihydrogen monoxide.

Once a roommate told me: "I would like to be a vegetarian, but I don't like soya." Her notion of soya was textured soya protein they serve in student cafeterias, and have no clue how to prepare well. Sometimes they don't even soak it before battering and frying, so it's hard and dry inside and only a little bit softer on the outside where the wet batter touches it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:56 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

missmuffcake wrote:
animal bits, literally. someone i know just posted about (with photos!) the cow testicle festival on FB and it showed up on my timeline...and people say tofu is gross...at least even GMO tofu does not have balls!
YET.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:15 pm 
And you never will.

Desdemona wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
YET.

No balls, just boobs. Because SOY.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:18 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

missmuffcake wrote:
Also when people bring up the immigrant things, don't they know often times immigrants are working the slaughter plants? What do they say to that?

And getting TERRIBLY injured, at poverty wages, and they can't complain or they get immigration on their asparagi, whoopsie?
This was my first motivation to go vegan. I find when I bring that up, the conversation turns to awkward stammering. Do we want people to get hurt? Of course not. But bacon tastes ^good^!!!!
gr.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:24 pm 
Semen Strong

poopiebitch wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
YET.

No balls, just boobs. Because SOY.

Yup. My tofu breastfeeds my daughter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:42 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
My tofu breastfeeds my daughter.
Yet another awesome aspect of veganism: boobies everywhere!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:46 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Where do I sign up to get these soy boobs?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

poopiebitch wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

Haha! I made my cousin's wedding cake last spring, and over Thanksgiving my uncle was talking about how good it was and said "I never would have guessed there was applesauce in it!" Uhhhhhh.... what?

I'm almost certain I've mentioned this in this thread, but: my mom's friends put together a big surprise party for her 50th birthday, and asked me to bake a cake, so I made a hazelnut-mocha cake with mocha frosting, using VCTOTW recipes. There was also a big supermarket sheet cake. One of my mom's friend said to me, mid-slice, "Now, this isn't considered fattening, right? Because it's vegan?"
1. The word "fattening" makes me so sad.
2. IT'S A @#$%!ING CAKE IT'S MADE OF FLOUR AND SUGAR AND OIL AND OTHER AWESOME STUFF.
I smiled and said it wasn't low fat or healthy or anything, just vegan. I don't know if she believed me.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:54 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

lavawitch wrote:
I'm still waiting on mine, but my boyfriend's tatas are bodacious!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:03 pm 
Semen Strong

Desdemona wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
I'm still waiting on mine, but my boyfriend's tatas are bodacious!

Nice sweater chipmunks, Simon!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:49 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

torque wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

And getting TERRIBLY injured, at poverty wages, and they can't complain or they get immigration on their asparagi, whoopsie?
This was my first motivation to go vegan. I find when I bring that up, the conversation turns to awkward stammering. Do we want people to get hurt? Of course not. But bacon tastes ^good^!!!!
gr.

That and I think working in a slaughterhouse must do something to you mentally. The detachment that you have to have or something, I don't know. I know it was mentioned in the book Slaughterhouse.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 512  Next