| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 544  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:00 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I can't, maybe other members have access to it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:39 am 
Semen Strong

Thanks! I appreciate it!

New pet peeve - "helpful" omnis. Someone I know just forwarded me a long article about why the flu and other vaccines aren't vegan. Yes, I know. Thank you for trying to help me be a better vegan. Seriously, are you telling me that if I want to be a good vegan, I can't vaccinate my child. It feels oddly like a backhanded way of calling me a hypocrite.

And for other "helpful" omnis telling you what is okay "just this once." I was concerned that L might have a yeast infection and had someone suggest that "just this once, I feed her milk kefir as a probiotic because its a matter of her health." Um thanks. There are lots of vegan probiotics including water kefir and Culturelle.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:47 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

If you PM me an email address, I can send you the pdf of the paper!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:48 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Scientifically illiterate university students believing conspiracy theories they read on the Internet. "Artificial sweeteners are more fattening than sugar. It's best to eat honey."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:49 am 
WELFARIST!

I feel like milk kefir is such a weird thing to recommend for a yeast infection. I mean, I get the probiotics thing but milk kefir is the first thing that comes to mind?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:59 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
Thanks! Can I get more than the abstracts somewhere?

OK, I've put the pdf in my public Dropbox folder, so anyone who wants to read it can access it through this link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8561370/isoflavonepdf.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:38 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

My friend saying "Well, you can just pull the cheese off the pizza" after I whined that the pizza place put cheese all over my pizza after I said, "No cheese," the counter guy said, "None at all? No cheese whatsoever?" and I said, "Correct, no cheese at all on this pizza."

Eurgh.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:35 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Tofulish wrote:
Also, I just want someone to explain to me why feeding my kiddo tofu and soy isn't going to have her go into puberty at 9, so I can explain it to people. Oh and why you don't have to worry about your son getting giant soyboobs and wee manbits because of soy.

on the flip side isnt their documented proof that milk consumption makes girls develop early because of all the hormones pumped into the cows or is that still just a theory?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:41 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The cooking column in our newspaper hit a new low today: after writing a nice little bit about the idea of Meatless Mondays and how it is a good thing for the environment and people's health, they go on to provide three recipes. One has shrimp, one has chicken, and one has ham in it. what the fizzle?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my vegan pet peeve today is my 13 year old nephew. he just cannot understand the vegan thing and at every family meal he gets really riled up about it and wont shut up.
since he's 13 and not my kid i just try to ignore him or laugh it off but it's like "dude learn some forking manners and leave me alone"

my brother and sister in law dont do anything about it because not so secretly they agree with him.

he's definitely one of those kids who never shuts up and thinks they know everything and that all adults are really stupid.

he's like HUMANS ARE OMNIVORES YOU HAVE TO EAT MEAT.

im not going to get into an ethics arguement and i dont feel the need to explain myself to a 13 year old. but DAMN JUST LEAVE ME ALONE

he has also, several times, told my mother to just squeeze meat juice into any meal she makes when i am there. (my mother is also now vegetarian)

I really hate getting so annoyed at one of my own relatives especially a kid but i guess that is family.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:22 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Some guy on our local vegan fb thread posting nutrition info from a very pro-paleo, very anti-vegan site.
I can't tell if he's a troll or what. Whatever it is, I'm annoyed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:24 pm 
Grandfathered In

"You're not getting enough protein" and "You have to eat meat" just kill me.

Enough protein for what? Have to eat meat, or... what?

Vegan for 18.5 years. Still clinging to life.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:11 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I bought some chocolate covered almonds with no discernible non-vegan ingredients, and yet they contain a small amount of cholesterol? Incorrect nutrition facts or incorrect ingredients? I am annoyed because I really wanted to eat those. God forking damn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 am 
WELFARIST!

Never mind, nuts contain oils. That's what I was thinking of.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:55 am 
Level 7 Vegan

LisaPunk wrote:
my vegan pet peeve today is my 13 year old nephew. he just cannot understand the vegan thing and at every family meal he gets really riled up about it and wont shut up.
since he's 13 and not my kid i just try to ignore him or laugh it off but it's like "dude learn some forking manners and leave me alone"

my brother and sister in law dont do anything about it because not so secretly they agree with him.

he's definitely one of those kids who never shuts up and thinks they know everything and that all adults are really stupid.

im not going to get into an ethics arguement and i dont feel the need to explain myself to a 13 year old. but DAMN JUST LEAVE ME ALONE

he has also, several times, told my mother to just squeeze meat juice into any meal she makes when i am there. (my mother is also now vegetarian)

I really hate getting so annoyed at one of my own relatives especially a kid but i guess that is family.

You know, I'm all for calling arsehole teenagers out about this kind of thing - if they don't have the social/pragmatic skills to pick up from your body language and responses that it's just damn bad manners, then you need to have the conversation with him (not at a meal time) about how he needs to watch some documentaries and read some information before he chirps up again because he's just making himself look like a wanker and he's annoying the tits off you. Feel free to adapt the language.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:37 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

missdelaney wrote:
"No cheese," the counter guy said, "None at all? No cheese whatsoever?" and I said, "Correct, no cheese at all on this pizza."

Eurgh.

I once went to a bagel place to try and get a vegetarian bagel without the cheese, when I asked for 'no cheese' they just looked at me at said 'but we have feta'. :/

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:15 am 
Huffs Nooch

Blueberries wrote:
missdelaney wrote:
"No cheese," the counter guy said, "None at all? No cheese whatsoever?" and I said, "Correct, no cheese at all on this pizza."

Eurgh.

I once went to a bagel place to try and get a vegetarian bagel without the cheese, when I asked for 'no cheese' they just looked at me at said 'but we have feta'. :/

Ha! For some reason my family can't get it through their heads that I don't eat all types of cheese. "No, don't worry, you can have this. It's goat's cheese!" Um... no.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:50 am 
Flounceiad 2011

FootFace wrote:
"You're not getting enough protein" and "You have to eat meat" just kill me.

Enough protein for what? Have to eat meat, or... what?

Barely.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:56 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

FootFace wrote:

i love that!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:59 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Ruby Rose wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

You know, I'm all for calling arsehole teenagers out about this kind of thing - if they don't have the social/pragmatic skills to pick up from your body language and responses that it's just damn bad manners, then you need to have the conversation with him (not at a meal time) about how he needs to watch some documentaries and read some information before he chirps up again because he's just making himself look like a wanker and he's annoying the tits off you. Feel free to adapt the language.

what kills me is no one in my family has thought to tell him to shut the f up. like i dunno his parents??? even if they not-so-secretly agree with him they are old enough to know he's being a kumquat. then like what about my own parents ie the grandparents?? my parents do not have an issue disciplining these boys (thankfully my younger nephew while i dont think he understands he doesnt say anything).
i dont know how to relate to kids or teenagers so my response would probably "shut the fork up and eat your dead cow"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:16 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

LisaPunk wrote:

im not going to get into an ethics arguement and i dont feel the need to explain myself to a 13 year old.

I would gladly do both of these things. Even the strongest pro-omni arguments are very weak, so I doubt it would be too hard to shatter this child's worldview.

I'm lucky that my five year-old nephew is the opposite. He always wants some of what I'm eating and loves to exclaim, "I LOVE VEGAN FOOD!" The whole family is very omni, but I love that he's open to it and very curious about what is and isn't vegan. Last week I was talking to my sister on the phone and I heard in the background, "I'm a vegan monster!" in his zombie voice.

Tho he did ask me a couple weeks ago at the dinner table "When are you going to go back to normal?" which delighted the rest of my family :/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:57 pm 
Huffs Nooch

There are some good peeves in this article from an omnivore who went vegan for two weeks: mostly just friends chiming in with their advice and opinions any chance they got.

What struck me in that brief time was how much crepe my friends gave me for eating vegan. I think the standard joke is that vegans can’t stop telling everyone they’re vegan — but I found the opposite to be true: meat eaters get freaked out at the idea of someone not eating meat and lobby hard for them to join back in.

While it's a shame he didn't stick with veganism, it's nice to see an omnivore who sympathises with the grief we get.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:00 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Good bread is too forking delicious. Healthy soup: check. Half a loaf of olive bread and a hearty chunk of sun-dried tomato bread: SUPERCHECK.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:19 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

broseph wrote:
There are some good peeves in this article from an omnivore who went vegan for two weeks: mostly just friends chiming in with their advice and opinions any chance they got.

What struck me in that brief time was how much crepe my friends gave me for eating vegan. I think the standard joke is that vegans can’t stop telling everyone they’re vegan — but I found the opposite to be true: meat eaters get freaked out at the idea of someone not eating meat and lobby hard for them to join back in.

While it's a shame he didn't stick with veganism, it's nice to see an omnivore who sympathises with the grief we get.

god i wish we could make a billboard of that and plaster it everywhere.
seriously. it's the freakin truth!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:24 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I love the article! It's so true how everyone is suddenly a nutritionist the instant they learn someone is vegan/vegetarian.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 544  Next