| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 424  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im happy to report there will be vegan cake there. it hasnt been ordered yet but when i told my mom i heard there was a bakery in worcester that would do a vegan shower cake she got all excited.

i think she's gonna ask at some other closer bakeries too.

also she talked to the "event planner" at the location and apparently she is very knowledgable about vegan "stuff" she said her sister in law is vegan and she's very close with her so she actually seemed to know what it meant for real rather than for "kinda sorta"

so it will be good to not get served pasta primavera with butter again......

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:29 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I like supporting small vegan business folk as much as possible...However I hate when people assume that because one is vegan their ethics carry over. That does not apply to business ethics I found out. A company I used to retail-sale to ripped off my design and sold my stuff in store and now online...:/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My office has had a lot of vegan cake lately...it's in NYC so it's really easy for people to grab vegan cakes for birthdays. A couple of times we had vegan cake even when the person whose birthday it was wasn't vegan, but because there are a couple vegans.

However the topic always turns to "mmm slaughter" like literally last time two editors were talking about how they were going to this cool place where you got to slaughter your own chicken. Gross.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:48 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

veggiepalooza wrote:
However the topic always turns to "mmm slaughter" like literally last time two editors were talking about how they were going to this cool place where you got to slaughter your own chicken. Gross.

Uhhhh, what? This is a thing?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

missmuffcake wrote:
I like supporting small vegan business folk as much as possible...However I hate when people assume that because one is vegan their ethics carry over. That does not apply to business ethics I found out. A company I used to retail-sale to ripped off my design and sold my stuff in store and now online...:/

Oh, that sucks, missmuffcake! Have you confronted them about this? Do you have any legal recourse? Stuff like this shouldn't happen!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:29 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

lepelaar wrote:

Oh, that sucks, missmuffcake! Have you confronted them about this? Do you have any legal recourse? Stuff like this shouldn't happen!

I want to say something but at this point I am like whatever. The design was for a random accessory, I cannot legally attach my name to it - since it is just an accessory. However the design/sewing/branding was a direct copy of mine, so much so people were buying it thinking they were supporting me.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:30 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

ashley wrote:
veggiepalooza wrote:

Uhhhh, what? This is a thing?

Apparently :( and they were talking about it because someone mentioned the cake being vegan. "oh what's that? a mention of veganism? Wait now I must be a loud crasshole about how I love dead animals HAHAAHAHAH"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:04 pm 
WELFARIST!

kimba wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
I once went out with a GROUP OF VEGANS, and did a complex pizza order, and they were horrified that I'd asked for capers, because they are fish. VEGANS!

lol. isnt there something that sounds like the word capers that is in fact fish? kippers?

I think there is, but I can't put my finger on it either...

Are you thinking of carp?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:08 pm 
WELFARIST!

PugMom wrote:
I make salad dressings all the time with veganaise. I will be eating it at work and it never fails. Somebody walks up talking to me, looks down and exclaims "Hey! You can't eat that!" Another big one is somebody seeing me eating a sandwich that has thinly sliced apples in it and exclaiming "Caught you! That's cheese right!? Caught you!" Uhh. No.

I HATE that. That's why I'm always afraid to eat anything that remotely looks non-vegan in front of certain people. They assume if it's not tofu then it's not vegan.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:29 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Mr. Shankly wrote:
PugMom wrote:
I make salad dressings all the time with veganaise. I will be eating it at work and it never fails. Somebody walks up talking to me, looks down and exclaims "Hey! You can't eat that!" Another big one is somebody seeing me eating a sandwich that has thinly sliced apples in it and exclaiming "Caught you! That's cheese right!? Caught you!" Uhh. No.

I HATE that. That's why I'm always afraid to eat anything that remotely looks non-vegan in front of certain people. They assume if it's not tofu then it's not vegan.

I figure if they are gonna be crassholes I can be one right back. I tell them what it really is and finish with "Not that hard to cut out the cruelty when you think about it, tastes even better this way."

So happy you are getting a vegan cake LisaPunk, you deserve it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:14 am 
WELFARIST!

PugMom wrote:
I figure if they are gonna be crassholes I can be one right back. I tell them what it really is and finish with "Not that hard to cut out the cruelty when you think about it, tastes even better this way."

I'd just tell them straight up what it is and that I don't appreciate them trying to police what I eat, just like I don't try to police what they eat. I feel like being a crasshole back to them will perpetuate the arrogant vegan stereotype.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:26 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I've only ever been a crasshole back to someone about animal cruelty like once. And that person was being a total dick about it, and it was on ongoing thing, so one day I was just done with it and was like, "Do you even realize what goes in to making that turkey sandwich?" A few weeks later he came up to me and apologized for being such a jerk, and has now been vegetarian for 5 years. Win!

Most of the time though, I just blow it off. Though, there have been a few times where someone will be like, "YOU'RE EATING MEAT! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!" when I was eating like a veggie burger or something and then they'll realize it's not actually meat haha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:56 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Mr. Shankly wrote:
PugMom wrote:

I'd just tell them straight up what it is and that I don't appreciate them trying to police what I eat, just like I don't try to police what they eat. I feel like being a crasshole back to them will perpetuate the arrogant vegan stereotype.

Bah, they are all coworkers who know why I went vegan. Often times they ask me what I am eating an I am more than happy to let them know and share my food. If they are going to try and call me out? Bring on the arrogance.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:23 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

jerusha wrote:
There's a new vegan deli in my town now, very hip with Ipads mounted to the wall for surfing and stuff. They got told on their facebook page how elitist they are and that they sell basically vokü food (vokü is the german equivalent of food nod bombs? I dunno) but at horrendous prices. I went there and it's very nice, they sell Ferrero Rafaelo in vegan (yay!). I mean, so what? Not every vegan is punk rock, some are just regular people who want to have nice (and yes, expensive) things to eat once in a while. Stop the vegan-bashing, vegans!

I dunno what it's like there, but every FnB meal I've ever eaten has been DELICIOUS. ;-)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:39 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I almost stink bombed a woman I rode an elevator with yesterday because she was wearing fur. It might have been fake. I'm telling myself it was fake.

Suffice it to say, my number one vegan pet peeve is still horrendous gas. Field Roast apple sage sausages and sauerkraut are so good though!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:11 am 
Flounceiad 2011

The funny-but-actually-kind-of-sad thing is that pretty much the only ones from whom I get crepe about being vegan (aside from random FB people) are my family; my friends and colleagues are all super cool about it. At work the department secretary always makes sure there's something good for me and another women with dietary restrictions (this girl is allergic to everything: gluten, nightshades, dairy, eggs...she makes me look like Olivia Omnivore!), and if people bring in snacks they generally make a point of having something we can eat, too; there are even two people who always bake stuff that's gluten free and vegan. So it's really mostly people like my idiot nephew, who comes to my house on holidays and invariably says unbelievably clever, witty stuff like, "you want some meat with that?" or "don't worry, the carrots are brought are vegan - except for the blood!" My sister means well but just can't seem to help rhapsodizing about the ham she made or how much she lurves cheese and cannot fathom a life without it. Oddly enough, my niece and her BF who are doing paleo are the easiest to deal with, maybe because they come in for crepe/judgement from people too. They never go on and on about all the saber-toothed tigers and woolly mammoths or whatever it is they eat, and they brought the most amazing raw truffles to Thanksgiving.

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:57 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ndpittman wrote:
I almost stink bombed a woman I rode an elevator with yesterday because she was wearing fur. It might have been fake. I'm telling myself it was fake.

Suffice it to say, my number one vegan pet peeve is still horrendous gas. Field Roast apple sage sausages and sauerkraut are so good though!!!

it totally would have been justified if you stink bombed her!

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ndpittman wrote:

Lately I keep seeing people with fur coats AND hats on. They are definitely real too. I nearly had to leave a que at a shop one day because another woman in the que had a fur coat and hat on. I just felt like vomiting. But I was starving and needed some biscuits. But I did give her many an evil eye and shaky head.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:32 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I was working a long event, had not eaten for like 10 hours. So I got to the bar where we were holding our night event early, and got a quesedilla without the cheese.

No cheese inside the quesedilla, but they made sure to drizzle cheese sauce all over the top of it.

Really? Like if I order a burger with no onions, they would still throw those forkers on top of the bun?

I was hungry and just scraped it off. but still. How dumb.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:02 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Fake or not, fur on humans looks ugly.

My vegan pet peeve: banana chips, Aldi's organic brand, contains honey. I bought it, thinking it's only bananas. But it was too sticky and, luckily, I read the label before eating.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:51 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

rhelune wrote:
Fake or not, fur on humans looks ugly.
I just saw a woman walking down the street wearing a fur coat and was totally taken aback by how incongruous it looked; it just seems so old-fashioned, out of touch, and socially clueless.

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:25 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have seen girls with like, raccoon tails clipped to their purses lately. Weird and gross (fake or not)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:47 pm 
Nailed to the V

Tails of all kinds, usually real, are all of the rage lately. It's so upsetting seeing a beautiful tail dis-attached from it's owner on the butt of some crasshole.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:48 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I saw a woman in the grocery store with a fur purse. A fur purse!!!! It looked very real. Why has fur become popular again? I thought we had already (mostly) fought that battle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:10 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Lard only knows why. I can understand a bit of fake on a collar or something. I mean, not the worst thing ever. But those hideous full fur coats? They are horrendous!!! As much as I adored my grandmother I used to despise when she wore her fur coat. They are crass and completely unnecessary.

I'm finally getting around to emailing local restaurants about vegan options. I done one place last weekend because it used to be my favourite place to go and they never replied even though it was a nice email. Tonight I sat down and emailed a few places. Most probably won't get back to me. My peeve is that nobody has done this already for the area I live in and I have to do it.

Reply to topic  [ 10595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 424  Next