| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 493  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think its just total conspicuous consumption. It looks terrible, but you know it was expensive. I gotta say I'm really annoyed with the amount of fake fur too. I just don't like how it looks, but its hard to find a nice winter jacket without any! Or just my luck, if there's no fake fur, its full of down.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

daisychain wrote:
I'm finally getting around to emailing local restaurants about vegan options. I done one place last weekend because it used to be my favourite place to go and they never replied even though it was a nice email. Tonight I sat down and emailed a few places. Most probably won't get back to me. My peeve is that nobody has done this already for the area I live in and I have to do it.

This reminds me of one of my peeves - emailing a restaurant to ask about vegan options and never receiving a reply. This has happened so many times. If you're not gonna respond to emails, don't offer email contact as an option. I'd rather be told honestly that they have nothing I can eat than be ignored. It's not like that's gonna make me wanna rock up and order something - it makes me not want to eat at your restaurant at all because I assume your in-person service is on the same level as your online service.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:47 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

rachell37 wrote:
daisychain wrote:
I'm finally getting around to emailing local restaurants about vegan options. I done one place last weekend because it used to be my favourite place to go and they never replied even though it was a nice email. Tonight I sat down and emailed a few places. Most probably won't get back to me. My peeve is that nobody has done this already for the area I live in and I have to do it.

This reminds me of one of my peeves - emailing a restaurant to ask about vegan options and never receiving a reply. This has happened so many times. If you're not gonna respond to emails, don't offer email contact as an option. I'd rather be told honestly that they have nothing I can eat than be ignored. It's not like that's gonna make me wanna rock up and order something - it makes me not want to eat at your restaurant at all because I assume your in-person service is on the same level as your online service.

There's a restaurant here with a giant billboard near my house advertising the versatility of their menu. It actually uses the word vegan. But as far as I know, the only vegan options are the usual oatmeal, french fries, and bread. Nothing really to brag about. I've contacted them by email, twitter, and facebook to ask what their vegan options are, and so far no response. Surely they must have expected people would ask.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mollyjade wrote:
There's a restaurant here with a giant billboard near my house advertising the versatility of their menu. It actually uses the word vegan. But as far as I know, the only vegan options are the usual oatmeal, french fries, and bread. Nothing really to brag about. I've contacted them by email, twitter, and facebook to ask what their vegan options are, and so far no response. Surely they must have expected people would ask.

But isn't that all you guys eat?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:19 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Sometimes :/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:54 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Fur is super popular this winter for some reason. I was looking at street style photos from the couture shows, and everyone had some kind of fur.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:36 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

An advert for 'laughing cow' cheese with cows prancing about on a runway talking about how happy they are to be skinny. Seriously!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:57 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i went to my friend's "brunch" baby shower.

i ate a shiitake ton of fruit salad.
fruit salad seems to be the only thing omni's dont purposely de-veganize.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:58 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ndpittman wrote:
Fur is super popular this winter for some reason. I was looking at street style photos from the couture shows, and everyone had some kind of fur.

it's definitely coming back for some reason. it creeps me the fork out. i try to live my life by ye old "live and let live" saying and i dont push my veganness on anyone or talk about what people eat or what they do etc but there are 2 things that make my head spin around and fire shoot out of my eyes and vengeance spew forth from my mouth.

eating veal and wearing fur.

NO. NEED.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:48 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

LisaPunk wrote:

Unless they're from Planet Freak and ruin it with marshmallows or some sort of "creme" topping!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:04 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ooh i hadnt thought of that.
one of my friend's makes this yummy marshmallow dip for fruit (ate it pregan) but it's always been on the side as a dipping.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:27 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I saw this disclaimer on a photo album in my facebook news feed this morning (posted by a friend):
Quote:
Disclaimer: I'm pretty confident that this album has some pictures that may be disturbing (chicken slaughter/processing) but please note that we took part with the utmost respect.

Really? Respectful slaughter. What the hell. I really want to say something snarky but I am resisting the urge.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:36 am 
So Totally Yiffy

LisaPunk wrote:

My mom's fruit salad has honey in it. :(

She makes it with agave now for me but a few other fruit salads have had honey when I asked about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:38 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Nutrition talk by a veg-friendly lady in combination with a zone/paleo guy who owns a crossfit gym and has completely bought that Crossfit is best for all. So some useful advice but I couldn't get past mr paleo/zone guy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:45 am 
Semen Strong

What do you mean you're not thrilled at the opportunity to take my 10 year old cat because I'm moving and my new place won't take her? Didn't you hear me say she's great with kids? She's a total catch!

Stop trying to offer me a behaviorist and telling me that 85% of cats get euthanized in shelters and that our local shelter euthanizes older cats on intake. I really don't care. Just take my awesome wonderful cat now please!

Last edited by Tofulish on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:45 am 
WRETCHED

lillianp wrote:
Nutrition talk by a veg-friendly lady in combination with a zone/paleo guy who owns a crossfit gym and has completely bought that Crossfit is best for all. So some useful advice but I couldn't get past mr paleo/zone guy.

Crossfit has a lot of valid criticism. I have some Crossfit friends on FB and I'm willing to ignore their happy paleo posts but lately some of their posts have been defensive of Crossfit. There is some good/bad there and it has a fairly high rate of injury compared to similar programs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:31 pm 

Half the ingredients for vegan cheesemaking are ridiculously expensive and tofutti is delicious. I want to make my own... but...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:56 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm part of an online mom group. Today one of the moms posted asking for advice for other vegetarian/vegan moms about how to deal with meat cravings when pregnant. Of course, a chorus of other women come on with their uber helpful "just eat the meat" comments. I told them they were being a bunch of crassholes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that's so wrong. if she wanted to eat meat she would have already.
usually i think the cravings arent about the actual meat but sometimes it's a comfort food when you feel sick (morning sickness) or she could be craving salt or fat or something.

geesh. talk about NOT HELPFUL.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:15 pm 

linanil wrote:
lillianp wrote:

Crossfit has a lot of valid criticism. I have some Crossfit friends on FB and I'm willing to ignore their happy paleo posts but lately some of their posts have been defensive of Crossfit. There is some good/bad there and it has a fairly high rate of injury compared to similar programs.

I've seen a lot of the criticisms and am inclined towards not caring specifically since I'm not involved in crossfit. I just hate that their diet or whatever is at direct odds with veganism and they don't believe you can get enough protein as a vegan.

I will say that I know a few people from my free workout who do crossfit (including one of the organizers) and their bodies are very pretty to look at.

Edited to add: I checked my protein intake for breakfast/lunch/snacks (haven't entered dinner yet) and I'm at 48 grams which is like.. resting/sedentary adult recommended intake for women or something? Anyways, I'm guessing I'll hit 60 today, so take that Paleo zone guy. Hah!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:30 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I wouldn't mind paleo so much if it wasn't that everyone I've ever met before on paleo had to preach about how rice is bad and grass-fed pork made them lose weight. Come on, man. You didn't lose weight because you started eating expensive pork, you lost weight because you stopped eating Hot Pockets for dinner.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:48 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

So turns out that we are sent two different brands of digestive biscuits at work. The one I checked today definitely didn't have dairy in it.

On a similar note..... why are all the cheap biscuits so tasty and dairy free? They are so damn addictive and I can't keep away from them!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:51 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

LisaPunk wrote:

I've had friends add honey to theirs... what the fizzle, its already sweet enough with all that fruit anyway! *grumble*

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:19 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

ndpittman wrote:

I saw a women with fur on in StarBucks, who we ended up sitting next to. Not only was her dead fur coat disgusting but the way she ate her yogurt made me want to spill her latte all over her face!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:27 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

stuckunderhere wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

I've had friends add honey to theirs... what the fizzle, its already sweet enough with all that fruit anyway! *grumble*

THIS! My mom was talking about putting Splenda on strawberries, and I cried a little bit for her poor sense of taste. And Splenda! Egads!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 493  Next