| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13009 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 521  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:15 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I know you're right, Tofulish. But sometimes I want to have an internet fight vicariously through someone else. But yes, your cooler head is the wiser one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:55 pm 
Semen Strong

Its like battling the hydra on my parenting group's FB page! I'll explain all about estrogen in dairy milk, link to the articles people post here about science showing that there is a decrease in breast cancer risk and no proof of any effect on hormones in growing kids, and then eventually you'll have 10 people posting the same links by Mercola and explaining that he is the only one you should trust because all the other doctors are trying to sell you something.

And then you quit, because you can't roll your eyes anymore without feeling dizzy.

And then the next post hits about "OMG SOY WILL MAKE YOUR SONS' TESTICLES SPROUT BOOBIES."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

The new bagel stand on campus that popped up doesn't know what tofutti is, never heard of it, can you get it at Freddy's? etc. Is it a vegan pet peeve that this person didn't google what people like on bagels! Or check out what other established bagel shops offer? I'm sick of the 'vegan' thing being 'bring your own condiments.'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:40 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Haha, I guess that's probably a pet peeve exclusive to Portland people. I would just die of excitement if any bagel place within 20 miles of me knew what toffuti was.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:45 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

joyfulgirl wrote:
Haha, I guess that's probably a pet peeve exclusive to Portland people. I would just die of excitement if any bagel place within 20 miles of me knew what toffuti was.

Totally! I got this trailer to carry tofutti and it felt like the biggest triumph of my vegan life.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:47 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah, I've never ever, ever, ever seen or heard of a bagel place with any topping that is remotely vegan unless one enjoys dry bagels with dry peanut butter (I don't). Well, I have heard of some having hummus, but that's just a myth. Panera forks their hummus up with cilantro--it's so gross.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

joyfulgirl wrote:

I'm still really sore about Einstein Bagels taking over a bunch of shops and ruining Portland.

It should be a thing in all bagel places that at LEAST earth balance and tofutti are available. Multiple flavors of tofutti. Really I wish shops would just make their own tofu spread.
Come on NY people back me up here! It should be a thing everywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:05 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

NYC is magical like that. That sucks that it doesn't extend to long island, joyfulgirl.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:10 pm 
***LIES!!!***

NYC is so magical with the tofu cream cheese everywhere (but really, not even everywhere). For several years I was working/schooling in NY every summer and since it was just for the summer I felt the need to be extravagant and get a bagel with tofutti every single day on the way to work or school. I also walked about 10 miles a day each day I was in the city and still managed to gain weight each summer.

The tofutti magic doesn't even extend to NJ (even though I'm pretty sure tofutti is made in NJ or at least distributed by a NJ company), even in the total hippie town I work in. So annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:11 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

The local bagel business here has hummus which is quite good, as well as the less good options of peanut butter or jelly for bagels, but I do think I will bring up the tofutti now cause that may be good, and they have a lot of different kinds of cream cheese as it is. Then i can make it my pet peeve if they don't listen, haha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:16 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

There is no Tofutti around where I work, in the Financial District. Unless I haven't looked hard enough. But then, there are barely any bagel places to begin with around here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:32 pm 
***LIES!!!***

the Financial District is the pits for food, but at least Cinnamon snail comes to you sometimes!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:38 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Once a year, I pay a ridiculous amount of money to get bagels and vegan cream cheese flown in from New York. Lack of good bagels (not to mention vegan cream cheese) is one of Austin's biggest faults. (American-style Italian food and an upscale vegan restaurant are the other two things missing.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:42 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

dammit, you guys. now I want a bagel, but I'm making nachos for dinner, so I probably won't get one. Apparently in San Diego there is now one place that has tofutti cream cheese. I feel super lucky to have a really awesome bagel place a few blocks from my house that makes whole wheat everything bagels and has three flavors of tofu cream cheese. When you come to NY, you have to just order tofu cream cheese. I think they will look at you weird if you say tofutti.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

joyfulgirl wrote:

yeah i would never even think to ask if a bagel place had anything other than cream cheese or butter.
if any place around here had tofutti i would take my pulse to make sure i wasnt dead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:04 pm 
Semen Strong

Ariann wrote:
The tofutti magic doesn't even extend to NJ (even though I'm pretty sure tofutti is made in NJ or at least distributed by a NJ company), even in the total hippie town I work in. So annoying.

Beyond The Bagel in Montclair, NJ (where you work :) ) has 5 flavors of vegan cream cheese. http://www.yelp.com/biz/beyond-the-bagel-montclair

Not walnut raisin though, which is my favorite.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:11 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I don't think I've ever been to a bagel place that didn't have hummus! When I was in massage school there was an Einstein Bagels right around the corner and I used to get bagels with hummus there all the time. I like it better than Tofutti anyway!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:42 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Einstein here has Tofutti but also obviously bad bagel.

You guys are reaaallly making me want a bagel too bad it would kill my stomach forever.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:01 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

look at you people with bagels complaining. YOU HAVE BAGELS, and you don't even have to make them yourselves.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:27 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The #4 book on Amazon when you search for "gluten free vegan" is most definitely not vegan. It might be egg free and dairy free, but it's not vegan.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:11 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
Ariann wrote:

Beyond The Bagel in Montclair, NJ (where you work :) ) has 5 flavors of vegan cream cheese. http://www.yelp.com/biz/beyond-the-bagel-montclair

Not walnut raisin though, which is my favorite.

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT I AM GOING THERE TOMORROW.

Walnut raisin is the grossest, hooray!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:50 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I had that awkward business/company dinner last night...the kind where I order something special while everyone else chowed down on fancy family style mexican food.

I just sat there....and sat....and sat...by the time my food came, everyone else was done and the presentations had started. Everyone was staring at me eating. I felt like everyone in the whole forking room was listening to me chew.

Ugh. I am NOT embarassed about being vegan, but I don't bring it up at work. At least not this soon if I can help it. I feel like I have been outed. I swear I think everyone that was there said something to me about it last night or this morning. They were cool about it, mostly curious, but still :/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:15 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

karichelle wrote:
The #4 book on Amazon when you search for "gluten free vegan" is most definitely not vegan. It might be egg free and dairy free, but it's not vegan.

It was a paleo book and I know this because I was just bisqueing about this today! There are paleo books whether you search for 'vegan' or go right to their vegetarian category.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:27 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

torque wrote:
look at you people with bagels complaining. YOU HAVE BAGELS, and you don't even have to make them yourselves.

This!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:23 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I really want a bagel now!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13009 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 521  Next