| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11895 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 476  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:08 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, I understand people who eat meat and care about animals because I was one of those. I just had a mentality that eating meat was required and if you are going to do it, might as well eat animals that are farmed specifically for eating. Even when I wanted to go vegetarian and I was forcing myself to eat meat, I didn't feel confident enough to give it up until I researched as much as I could.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:31 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I hate how foods labelled "vegan" and "suitable for vegans" are also "processed on equipment which processes milk and eggs and may contain traces of milk and egg". Like I live with a meat eater and I'm fine with using a pan after it's been properly washed (cutting boards however skeeve me out) but what are they saying, here? That they don't clean the equipment? And if it may contain traces of milk and egg why are you trying to label it vegan????????
And by default I end up buying some if these items, cause I like chocolate.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:33 pm 
WRETCHED

They clean the equipment but they say it because some people have severe allergies where even traces can be harmful. I don't have a problem with anything processed on the same equipment.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:34 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

The labeling like that for people with severe allergies. They do clean the equipment, but if you have a really serious allergy to milk they have to warn you that there's a chance there might be a trace amount of milk. So, yeah, it's up to you if it's vegan enough, but most companies probably do their best to make sure the equipment is cleaned, especially companies that have bothered to put a vegan label on their food.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:46 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Re: animal activists who eat meat, I don't get it, myself. I remember this one girl I used to hang out with who would go protest the circus, then tell me all about it while eating a chicken sandwich. Maybe I just never had that disconnect. Anyway, I posted a picture of a dog hanging out with a calf on the Facebook today, and this was the caption: "When we bestow upon some animals love and empathy and other animals disdain or indifference, it reveals more about our own prejudices than about the intrinsic worth of the species we are judging." And I agree wholeheartedly with that.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:46 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

j-dub wrote:
SkullNBoneAppetit wrote:
Does anyone else get really grossed out by the smell of fish? My boyfriend ordered fish tacos and it practically ruined my dinner. All I could smell was fish!! Of course I didn't say anything, because I never want to make people feel bad about what they're eating, but damn!!

The one rule I have if living with omnis is no cooking fish. It's horrifying. The only thing worse is lobster. My old roomies (who were super considerate and would only cook fish if I was gone for the night and then burn candles, open windows and take out the trash) made lobster once and I was on the verge of vomiting for about three days!

it's not fish, but cooked meat for me, like for stews and such. Steak in the skillet is fine, fish on the bbq too. but that cooked beef just makes me gag lately.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:19 am 
Chard Martyr

ijustdiedinside wrote:
ugh, that's really annoying, joyfulgirl. It's really hard when people SWEAR something is vegan and you just know it's not. It's SO awkward!

This happens mind-blowingly often!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:30 am 
Chard Martyr

I think beginning to care about animals is an important stepping stone. I particularly like it when chefs (especially well-respected/high-profile ones) begin to start adding vegan dishes to their repertoire. I think even the disconnected task of learning to cook vegan can start the wheels turning in their minds, and their diners' minds, about just why people choose to be vegan. I've had a few chefs express really genuine interest in my reasons for not eating animal products, and I've felt like I've been heard more often than not.

As for places like the SPCA having fundraisers where they serve hot dogs and hamburgers: That really sucks, but hopefully the mainstream-ness of the event will bring people in, and the volunteers condoning the event will gradually change their ways after spending time with the animals. It sounds almost naively optimistic, but again, any possible way to get people thinking about the animals is generally a good way.

Plus people learn in different ways. When I was 15 and I told my parents exactly why I was going vegetarian and exactly what knowledge I'd learned that led me to it, they totally ignored me. When I went vegan, same. But one night (in the past year, so years and years after I went vegan) my mum called me and told me that she was thinking of cutting out meat because of a short thing she saw on the news about animal agriculture. Then my little sister called a few months later announcing that she is vegetarian because she took an environmental studies class. Eating is so tied to our identity, and people are so fiercely defensive about it. I've found that they usually need to come to it on their own.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:37 am 
Semen Strong

Yes, I think that if veganism is going to be effective for the animals, then we can't exclude people who aren't perfect. Otherwise veganism will eat itself, and you'll have a bunch of people feeling "veganer than thou."

Veganer than thou pet peeve? People who think it isn't vegan to have kids because they use up the planet's resources and there are already too many people. I think the world can always use a few extra kind souls.

Oh and people who think that if a vegan woman dates a non-vegan man, she is betraying the cause and not vegan enough because he is going to inevitably make her go non-vegan and raise their kids vegetarian. Or does this belong in the Challenges my Feminism thread?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:01 am 
Seagull of the PPK

or how about if you were really vegan you could kill yourself so that you could be sure you're using absolutely no animal products ever ever!!!!

it just struck me how much some of these statements, if you sub "vegan" with "Christian" and "omni" with "unbeliever", are pretty much the same things I used to hear from the fundy people.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:38 am 
Inflexitarian

"What about yeast in bread??"

We were busy sorting 1300 midterms immediately after invigilating the test. I was already cranky because I hate sorting through tests, especially since there's always a few students who don't put any identifying information on anything for some reason. I may have lost my patience yesterday in response to that question.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:55 am 
Ninja Master

I'm way behind on this thread but on sharing vegan foods...

My dad’s a grazer and he’ll eat pretty much anything* and this one time, we found tofurkey slices that we trekked all the way to norf London for and I was super excited, cuz you can’t normally get them over here. I opened them and he forking ate the rest, I think I got 2. He said ‘they were better than that mingin ham your mum bought’. OK I’m glad you like the veganz over the dirty ham. But dude, don’t eat ma tofurkey.

Also if I make a seitan roast I have to get in there quick because he loves it. He carves off chunks until there’s only a sliver left for me.

ok yeah and speculoos paste is not safe either. I was really glad when I heard they started selling it in waitrose here, because it used to cost a feckin fortune to ship it over from Belgium.

(*he even eats uncooked soya/TVP chunks, he is vile. He initially thought they were crisps, he is vile and stupid!)

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:50 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
Yes, I think that if veganism is going to be effective for the animals, then we can't exclude people who aren't perfect. Otherwise veganism will eat itself, and you'll have a bunch of people feeling "veganer than thou."
Agreed. It also reinforces the "grim, judgmental, humorless vegan" stereotype that makes it so easy and convenient for people to dismiss veganism as "too extreme" or "too much like a religion," or whatever.
Tofulish wrote:
Veganer than thou pet peeve? People who think it isn't vegan to have kids because they use up the planet's resources and there are already too many people. I think the world can always use a few extra kind souls.
I never cease to be amazed that anyone thinks they have a right to judge and/or offer unsolicited opinions about another person's reproductive choices. It's pretty much the most personal subject I can think of, and it's straight up nobody else's goddamn business whether someone wants to have children or not. I mean, Jesus; were these people raised on Planet forking Rude or what?

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:20 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Ugh. A lot of people in my twitter feed are live tweeting the big cookbook conference. They just had a panel on food trends, and apparently one is "getting rid of the chickens". People suck.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:30 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

what does a food trend of getting rid of the chickens mean exactly?

(im scared to ask)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:49 pm 

It's twitter, so there's not a lot of info given. But from my own experience, the trend for backyard chickens is waning because people realize it's a huge amount of work. So they're dumping/selling/getting rid of the backyard chickens.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:50 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh, wow. When we were driving a few weeks ago, I saw a backyard chicken coop, looked fairly new but I didn't see any chickens and it was a fairly warm day. I was wondering if the chickens were really there or not.

My mom told me that when she was young, they had chickens and she hated it because she always used to have to *ahem* 'take care of them' and I don't mean feeding them. She said it was a ton of work to prep them. I can't imagine a lot of suburbanites doing that for long.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:09 pm 

A lot of people in my neighborhood keep chickens. I think most urban chicken keepers just raise them for the eggs. I'm pretty sure "getting rid of" isn't slaughter in this case, but abandonment or similar. I know the animal sanctuary near me is always drowning in abandoned chickens.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

For those of you who are angsty at animal rights folks who eat meat - cut some slack. I was one for a really really long time. I *wanted* to make the change, and knew it would happen, but I had never cooked for myself or known someone who ate a healthy veg diet, I thought animal product was necessary. I went from vegetarian to vegan in a matter of months and all for animal rights reasons. But it took me a long time to get there. I feel better emotionally, mentally and physically since making the change but when it's something that's hard to do when you know nothing about and you're a lame asparagus cook to boot. It's funny now when I think back, when I was little (7-8?) I was so against hunters but thought farmed animals knew nothing better, so it was ok, it was their destiny. I've only been outside that mindset for about a year now. And it is a big change. Now I feel much the opposite, and would prefer to have people hunt meat (not trap) than buy it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:12 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh I was thinking people were raising chickens for food, I forgot about eggs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:11 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

There's a guy in my class who has chickens that he's allegedly raising just for the eggs in his backyard. He rents a guest house on this other guy's property and was talking to me about how when his chickens get older and stop producing eggs, that he guesses he'll have to slaughter his chickens and cook them. He also mentioned that if he has to move (because his landlord was thinking of selling the property... or because of graduating in 2 years) that he'd have to do the same thing if his new place didn't allow him to keep chickens.

This was very upsetting not just because he's always taking pictures of them and saying how they're his pets, but because... why would you get chickens as pets, knowing that your living situation is pretty uncertain. I mean, it's pretty easy to find an apartment complex or landlord that will let you have dogs or cats... but chickens? That's a bit more difficult. I did mention to him that just because they weren't providing him his breakfast anymore doesn't mean that he has to automatically kill them. I mean... if they're your pets, then you should just feed them and love them! Gah.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:44 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I have always wondered how people can have family farms, raise animals with lots of love and dedication, and then slaughter them. My grandparents owned a farm for a long time, and my mom and her brothers grew up raising animals because my grandpa was a sheep shearer. They also had goats, cows, chickens, and other animals, many of which they'd slaughter themselves. How do you bottle feed a baby animal, care for it for months or years, and then bring yourself to kill it? At what point does it cross the line from being "pet" to being "dinner?"

My mom has always just described it as "country life," and acknowledged that it was hard, but you just did what you had to do. I just can't imagine being in that situation. How do you not feel like you've just cooked and served your friend for dinner?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:47 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

vijita wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
ugh, that's really annoying, joyfulgirl. It's really hard when people SWEAR something is vegan and you just know it's not. It's SO awkward!

This happens mind-blowingly often!

Uch, I hate this so much!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Roommate is on a bacon kick lately. If I'm even on the same floor as the kitchen when he's cooking it, my hair and all my clothes smell like it. He's had bacon for dinner three nights in a row.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

creep wrote:
Roommate is on a bacon kick lately. If I'm even on the same floor as the kitchen when he's cooking it, my hair and all my clothes smell like it. He's had bacon for dinner three nights in a row.

To me "bacon for dinner" sounds like "whiskey for breakfast" but way less acceptable.

Mmmmm breakfast whiskey...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11895 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 476  Next