| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 521  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:32 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3658
Location: Nashville, TN
He seems to eat the same thing for like a week straight and then move on to something else, but not like, making a big batch of something and eating on it for a while... just cooks the same stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:47 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12251
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
I do that too. I like my food ruts.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:54 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
creep wrote:
Roommate is on a bacon kick lately. If I'm even on the same floor as the kitchen when he's cooking it, my hair and all my clothes smell like it. He's had bacon for dinner three nights in a row.

Ugh my brother will go on bacon-and-eggs kicks once in a while, so gross. It's usually maple bacon too which is extra bad because I love the smell of maple, but...bacon :( :(

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:32 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5273
Location: Gallifrey
creep wrote:
He seems to eat the same thing for like a week straight and then move on to something else, but not like, making a big batch of something and eating on it for a while... just cooks the same stuff.

I do this.

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:40 am 
Offline
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:13 pm
Posts: 901
Location: Seattle, WA
Mr. Shankly wrote:
creep wrote:
He seems to eat the same thing for like a week straight and then move on to something else, but not like, making a big batch of something and eating on it for a while... just cooks the same stuff.

I do this.


Ha, me too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:15 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3658
Location: Nashville, TN
That's not really a pet peeve. I just thought it was odd, but maybe not if everybody else does it too. But bacon three nights in a row? My heart hurts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:58 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:16 pm
Posts: 3872
Location: Panama City, Florida
creep wrote:
Roommate is on a bacon kick lately. If I'm even on the same floor as the kitchen when he's cooking it, my hair and all my clothes smell like it. He's had bacon for dinner three nights in a row.


My in laws eat sausage every morning and I want to gag for like 3 hours afterwards. On the plus side, I don't use the microwave anymore because it still stinks like it after scrubbing it.

_________________
etsy shop: teeny tiny tantrums


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:55 am 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:03 am
Posts: 1318
Location: Nova Scotia
Vegans who purportedly love the animals but hate other people. Here is a recent exchange from my local Facebook vegan group:

Person 1: OK [name deleted], let's destroy the planet and soak infants in chemicals just because it's VEGAN. That sounds smart! This is why people think vegans are morons and hypocrites.

Person 2: [name deleted] Yeah that's where I am from, and will be moving back to in August but you would know that if you actually paid attention. Enough, fork you and this is exactly why I don't join groups anymore. You are a forking bisque. Go to hell and die!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:07 am 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 4330
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
Arisaig wrote:
Go to hell and die!


Pretty much my favourite way to wrap up a conversation.

Customer: thanks so much, have a nice day!
Me: you too! And go to hell and die!

.... That would be fun.

_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:39 am 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19106
Location: Cliffbar NJ
Non-vegans giving gratuitous, inaccurate and unasked for nutritional advice.

"Just be careful, or you will end up with a B-12 deficiency!!!" Yeah, dumbpants I eat a metric fucktonne of nutritional yeast and 3 Tbsp has 500% my daily RDA. But thank you for playing.

Also on the OMG SOY! I found this good: http://chicagodieteticassociation.org/how-safe-is-soy/

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:09 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19106
Location: Cliffbar NJ
Now someone who is vegan but eats fish is explaining that vitamins in supplements aren't stored in the body like regular vitamins that you get from food. what the fizzle. If you don't know what you are talking about and identify as vegan, then please STFU, you're making the rest of us look dumb.

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:21 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5362
Location: United States of New England
yeah the backseats nutritionists are really annoying as they cram something really healthy like a hot dog in their piehole.
give me a break and let me eat my noms!

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:55 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:26 am
Posts: 107
"You can only get vitamin B's from a shot, only place to get it."

From a nurse.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:33 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5626
Location: A New England
Moon wrote:
Arisaig wrote:
Go to hell and die!


Pretty much my favourite way to wrap up a conversation.

Customer: thanks so much, have a nice day!
Me: you too! And go to hell and die!

.... That would be fun.
The best part is that it even gets the order wrong. The way I've always understood it, you have to die before you can go to hell; it's sort of the price of admission (well, that and a hideously, irredeemably sin-blackened soul, obvs).

_________________
I will read all sorts of tripe and am great at suspension of disbelief,
but when characters start getting the hots for serial killer ghosts, I'm out. ~ lavawitch
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:14 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12251
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
PugMom wrote:
"You can only get vitamin B's from a shot, only place to get it."

From a nurse.


Is there a reason they said that? That actually is mostly true for me.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:17 pm 
Offline
Who's Ted Leo?
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 7007
Location: Modesto, CA
I saw a women on stage last night eat live worms and roaches in the name of art...I thought it was gross and my boyfriend who was filming the event stopped filming...We probably came off as 'vegan hard core people'...

To be fair the women also took a staple gun to her torso...This was a valentine's show after all!

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:18 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5626
Location: A New England
missmuffcake wrote:
I saw a women on stage last night eat live worms and roaches in the name of art...I thought it was gross and my boyfriend who was filming the event stopped filming...We probably came off as 'vegan hard core people'...

To be fair the women also took a staple gun to her torso...This was a valentine's show after all!
That sounds very...romantic?

_________________
I will read all sorts of tripe and am great at suspension of disbelief,
but when characters start getting the hots for serial killer ghosts, I'm out. ~ lavawitch
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:15 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19106
Location: Cliffbar NJ
lavawitch wrote:
PugMom wrote:
"You can only get vitamin B's from a shot, only place to get it."

From a nurse.


Is there a reason they said that? That actually is mostly true for me.


A nutritionist on my parent's group said this:

Quote:
But for anyone who knows they are B12 deficient or are at risk, I would not use nutritional yeast as a main source. Here's why: First of all, sunlight degrades B12, and all/most nutritional yeast is stored and sold in clear plastic bottles. Secondly, much of the B12 we consume orally is destroyed in the stomach. If you need B12 not just to support your general health but because you are deficient, you may be deficient not because you're not eating enough animal products but because you're one of the many people whose intestines do not secrete intrinsic factor (or enough of it) which is required for B12 absorption. if you lack intrinsic factor entirely, the ONLY way you can absorb adequate B12 may be through sublingual or injectable B12... not via the digestive tract. If you have very little IF, you should still be doing sublingual drops/tabs or injectable B12. taking tons of oral sources (food, vitamin supplements) of B12 is not unsafe but it's unlikely to get your levels back where they need to be. I see a lot of people who are told to "take more B12" by their docs but are unable to get their B12 levels back to normal just via food sources. Remember that the body stores B12 for years, so if you find you are deficient and you *know* your diet has contained plenty of B12 (as it the case with most people who consume animal products) then most likely you have been having absorption problems for quite some time. i guess i could summarize this as: don't dismiss the possibility of insufficient intrinsic factor (aka "pernicious anemia" ... a b12 deficiency that food, including nutritional yeast, is unlikely to rectify)

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:01 pm 
Offline
Who's Ted Leo?
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 7007
Location: Modesto, CA
Desdemona wrote:

To be fair the women also took a staple gun to her torso...This was a valentine's show after all!
That sounds very...romantic?[/quote]


not as romantic as the guy in the show with a dead raccoon on his bag. :/

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:26 pm 
Offline
***LIES!!!***
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 pm
Posts: 3815
I think it's a fair statement to say that if you're seriously deficient nutritional yeast probably won't fix that, but there is plenty of evidence that regular supplements do just as good a job correcting deficiencies in most people as shots. If you lack intrinsic factor or are missing guts, might be a different story, but that doesn't describe most people.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:43 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 4330
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
Thanks for the blurb, 'fulish. I don't know much about b12 yet, just that I should be taking it. So I do... When I remember.

_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:41 am 
Offline
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:13 pm
Posts: 901
Location: Seattle, WA
I find this more funny than annoying, but:

A few weeks ago I was out with friend's and ordered a burger with a boca patty. The burger I ordered just comes with pickles, onions and lettuce, and normally the waiter will just repeat back the "with a boca patty, right?" to me. But this time they asked if I wanted cheese. I told them no. Then they asked if I wanted bacon on it. It took a lot of will power to not start laughing. Yes, I am ordering a vegan burger and I want bacon on it. The waiter proceeded to ask everyone else if they wanted bacon on their burgers as well, so I'm assuming for some reason they were suppose to be pushing bacon for some reason that day (since I've been there a bunch of times and they've never done that), but I was still greatly amused being asked if I wanted bacon. The cheese I can understand, but bacon? hahaha


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:56 am 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 4063
Location: Austin
Simply_Love wrote:
I find this more funny than annoying, but:

A few weeks ago I was out with friend's and ordered a burger with a boca patty. The burger I ordered just comes with pickles, onions and lettuce, and normally the waiter will just repeat back the "with a boca patty, right?" to me. But this time they asked if I wanted cheese. I told them no. Then they asked if I wanted bacon on it. It took a lot of will power to not start laughing. Yes, I am ordering a vegan burger and I want bacon on it. The waiter proceeded to ask everyone else if they wanted bacon on their burgers as well, so I'm assuming for some reason they were suppose to be pushing bacon for some reason that day (since I've been there a bunch of times and they've never done that), but I was still greatly amused being asked if I wanted bacon. The cheese I can understand, but bacon? hahaha

I've seen people order a veggie burger with bacon before. They always seem a bit sheepish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:05 am 
Offline
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:13 pm
Posts: 901
Location: Seattle, WA
Oh, I totally realize it happens, but I can't imagine often enough for a waiter to ask? Though, I suppose it's kind of like at Starbucks where people order a drink made with soy milk (or fat free milk) to save on calories but still want the whip cream.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:13 am 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:26 am
Posts: 107
lavawitch wrote:
PugMom wrote:
"You can only get vitamin B's from a shot, only place to get it."

From a nurse.


Is there a reason they said that? That actually is mostly true for me.



My mom yelled this at me after I nicely rebuffed her efforts to give me some vegan protein powder. She was all worried about my protein. She has been supper supportive and little things are starting to crop up. I am going to loan her my book Vegan For LIfe.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 521  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dr. Apricot and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer