| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 521  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

He seems to eat the same thing for like a week straight and then move on to something else, but not like, making a big batch of something and eating on it for a while... just cooks the same stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:47 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I do that too. I like my food ruts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:54 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

creep wrote:
Roommate is on a bacon kick lately. If I'm even on the same floor as the kitchen when he's cooking it, my hair and all my clothes smell like it. He's had bacon for dinner three nights in a row.

Ugh my brother will go on bacon-and-eggs kicks once in a while, so gross. It's usually maple bacon too which is extra bad because I love the smell of maple, but...bacon :( :(

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:32 am 
WELFARIST!

creep wrote:
He seems to eat the same thing for like a week straight and then move on to something else, but not like, making a big batch of something and eating on it for a while... just cooks the same stuff.

I do this.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:40 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Mr. Shankly wrote:
creep wrote:

I do this.

Ha, me too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's not really a pet peeve. I just thought it was odd, but maybe not if everybody else does it too. But bacon three nights in a row? My heart hurts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:58 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

creep wrote:
Roommate is on a bacon kick lately. If I'm even on the same floor as the kitchen when he's cooking it, my hair and all my clothes smell like it. He's had bacon for dinner three nights in a row.

My in laws eat sausage every morning and I want to gag for like 3 hours afterwards. On the plus side, I don't use the microwave anymore because it still stinks like it after scrubbing it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:55 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Vegans who purportedly love the animals but hate other people. Here is a recent exchange from my local Facebook vegan group:

Person 1: OK [name deleted], let's destroy the planet and soak infants in chemicals just because it's VEGAN. That sounds smart! This is why people think vegans are morons and hypocrites.

Person 2: [name deleted] Yeah that's where I am from, and will be moving back to in August but you would know that if you actually paid attention. Enough, fork you and this is exactly why I don't join groups anymore. You are a forking bisque. Go to hell and die!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:07 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Arisaig wrote:
Go to hell and die!

Pretty much my favourite way to wrap up a conversation.

Customer: thanks so much, have a nice day!
Me: you too! And go to hell and die!

.... That would be fun.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:39 am 
Semen Strong

Non-vegans giving gratuitous, inaccurate and unasked for nutritional advice.

"Just be careful, or you will end up with a B-12 deficiency!!!" Yeah, dumbpants I eat a metric fucktonne of nutritional yeast and 3 Tbsp has 500% my daily RDA. But thank you for playing.

Also on the OMG SOY! I found this good: http://chicagodieteticassociation.org/how-safe-is-soy/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:09 pm 
Semen Strong

Now someone who is vegan but eats fish is explaining that vitamins in supplements aren't stored in the body like regular vitamins that you get from food. what the fizzle. If you don't know what you are talking about and identify as vegan, then please STFU, you're making the rest of us look dumb.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:21 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah the backseats nutritionists are really annoying as they cram something really healthy like a hot dog in their piehole.
give me a break and let me eat my noms!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:55 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

"You can only get vitamin B's from a shot, only place to get it."

From a nurse.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:33 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Moon wrote:
Arisaig wrote:
Go to hell and die!

Pretty much my favourite way to wrap up a conversation.

Customer: thanks so much, have a nice day!
Me: you too! And go to hell and die!

.... That would be fun.
The best part is that it even gets the order wrong. The way I've always understood it, you have to die before you can go to hell; it's sort of the price of admission (well, that and a hideously, irredeemably sin-blackened soul, obvs).

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:14 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

PugMom wrote:

From a nurse.

Is there a reason they said that? That actually is mostly true for me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:17 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I saw a women on stage last night eat live worms and roaches in the name of art...I thought it was gross and my boyfriend who was filming the event stopped filming...We probably came off as 'vegan hard core people'...

To be fair the women also took a staple gun to her torso...This was a valentine's show after all!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:18 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

missmuffcake wrote:
I saw a women on stage last night eat live worms and roaches in the name of art...I thought it was gross and my boyfriend who was filming the event stopped filming...We probably came off as 'vegan hard core people'...

To be fair the women also took a staple gun to her torso...This was a valentine's show after all!
That sounds very...romantic?

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:15 pm 
Semen Strong

lavawitch wrote:
PugMom wrote:

From a nurse.

A nutritionist on my parent's group said this:

Quote:
But for anyone who knows they are B12 deficient or are at risk, I would not use nutritional yeast as a main source. Here's why: First of all, sunlight degrades B12, and all/most nutritional yeast is stored and sold in clear plastic bottles. Secondly, much of the B12 we consume orally is destroyed in the stomach. If you need B12 not just to support your general health but because you are deficient, you may be deficient not because you're not eating enough animal products but because you're one of the many people whose intestines do not secrete intrinsic factor (or enough of it) which is required for B12 absorption. if you lack intrinsic factor entirely, the ONLY way you can absorb adequate B12 may be through sublingual or injectable B12... not via the digestive tract. If you have very little IF, you should still be doing sublingual drops/tabs or injectable B12. taking tons of oral sources (food, vitamin supplements) of B12 is not unsafe but it's unlikely to get your levels back where they need to be. I see a lot of people who are told to "take more B12" by their docs but are unable to get their B12 levels back to normal just via food sources. Remember that the body stores B12 for years, so if you find you are deficient and you *know* your diet has contained plenty of B12 (as it the case with most people who consume animal products) then most likely you have been having absorption problems for quite some time. i guess i could summarize this as: don't dismiss the possibility of insufficient intrinsic factor (aka "pernicious anemia" ... a b12 deficiency that food, including nutritional yeast, is unlikely to rectify)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:01 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Desdemona wrote:

That sounds very...romantic?[/quote]

not as romantic as the guy in the show with a dead raccoon on his bag. :/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:26 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I think it's a fair statement to say that if you're seriously deficient nutritional yeast probably won't fix that, but there is plenty of evidence that regular supplements do just as good a job correcting deficiencies in most people as shots. If you lack intrinsic factor or are missing guts, might be a different story, but that doesn't describe most people.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:43 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Thanks for the blurb, 'fulish. I don't know much about b12 yet, just that I should be taking it. So I do... When I remember.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:41 am 

I find this more funny than annoying, but:

A few weeks ago I was out with friend's and ordered a burger with a boca patty. The burger I ordered just comes with pickles, onions and lettuce, and normally the waiter will just repeat back the "with a boca patty, right?" to me. But this time they asked if I wanted cheese. I told them no. Then they asked if I wanted bacon on it. It took a lot of will power to not start laughing. Yes, I am ordering a vegan burger and I want bacon on it. The waiter proceeded to ask everyone else if they wanted bacon on their burgers as well, so I'm assuming for some reason they were suppose to be pushing bacon for some reason that day (since I've been there a bunch of times and they've never done that), but I was still greatly amused being asked if I wanted bacon. The cheese I can understand, but bacon? hahaha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:56 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Simply_Love wrote:
I find this more funny than annoying, but:

A few weeks ago I was out with friend's and ordered a burger with a boca patty. The burger I ordered just comes with pickles, onions and lettuce, and normally the waiter will just repeat back the "with a boca patty, right?" to me. But this time they asked if I wanted cheese. I told them no. Then they asked if I wanted bacon on it. It took a lot of will power to not start laughing. Yes, I am ordering a vegan burger and I want bacon on it. The waiter proceeded to ask everyone else if they wanted bacon on their burgers as well, so I'm assuming for some reason they were suppose to be pushing bacon for some reason that day (since I've been there a bunch of times and they've never done that), but I was still greatly amused being asked if I wanted bacon. The cheese I can understand, but bacon? hahaha

I've seen people order a veggie burger with bacon before. They always seem a bit sheepish.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:05 am 

Oh, I totally realize it happens, but I can't imagine often enough for a waiter to ask? Though, I suppose it's kind of like at Starbucks where people order a drink made with soy milk (or fat free milk) to save on calories but still want the whip cream.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:13 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

lavawitch wrote:
PugMom wrote:

From a nurse.

My mom yelled this at me after I nicely rebuffed her efforts to give me some vegan protein powder. She was all worried about my protein. She has been supper supportive and little things are starting to crop up. I am going to loan her my book Vegan For LIfe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 521  Next